• 9-41 (!!) from three
OFFENSE: 15th in efficiency
  • 2nd in FT% (83.3%)
  • 4th in turnover rate (14.2%)
  • 7th in 3PA/FGA (49.6%)
  • 70th in 2P% (53.5%)
  • 123rd in FTA/FGA (33.1%)
  • ~ median in A/FGM (50.9%)
  • 309th in tempo (18.8 seconds/possession)
  • 330th in offensive rebound % (22.8)
DEFENSE: 123rd in efficiency
  • 32nd in slowing teams town (18.3 seconds/possession)
  • 28th in FTA/FGA (22.8%)
  • 130th in defensive rebounding rate
  • Median or below in
    • O2P% (49.7%)
    • 3P% (34.9%)
    • Turnover rate (18.3%, 211th)
  • Near bottom at
    • 3PA/FGA (43.4%)
    • A/FGM (61.2%)

1671900313459.png

1671900328602.png

I see a huge matchup to exploit down low with Dixon's defensive deficiencies with kickout opportunities with their poor perimeter defense. Plus, whoever is being guarded by Arcidiacono has slashing/attacking the rim opportunities possible.

Reaction Score
They have absolutely NOTHING for Sanogo and Clingan. They'll have to pick their poison - let Sanogo go 1 on 1 or send help and give up shots.

We need to hit our shots because I'm sure we will get a lot of them from the defense cheating over as well as on the offensive boards.

Clingan should have like 700 offensive rebounds

This will be fun.

Reaction Score
Need to return the favor from those blowouts during the Ollie years
This. 4 or 5 years ago I made plans to go to a Nova game at Gampel with my siblings. We met at Ted's while we waited for my sister to make it through traffic. We ended staying at the bar the whole game, by the time she arrived, there was no point in walking up the hill. We've got some payback to dish out

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
They have absolutely NOTHING for Sanogo and Clingan. They'll have to pick their poison - let Sanogo go 1 on 1 or send help and give up shots.

We need to hit our shots because I'm sure we will get a lot of them from the defense cheating over as well as on the offensive boards.

This will be fun.
Dixon roasted Sanogo for 24/12 last year in Philadelphia, while Sanogo was hampered with foul trouble.

Don’t sleep on Dixon he can be good.

Reaction Score
How tf did they go into the season with Arcidiacono as their starting PG thinking “this is fine” and not get a transfer to fill that gap?? Hope we stomp them like they stomped us a few times when we sucked

Reaction Score

This will be fun.

Oh they have something. Dixon owned Sanogo last year and besides that they will have some matchups they will like in their backdown offense.

Much tougher game than earlier year from them with Whitmore and Armstrong.

This is kind of a game I was looking at when I wished they had played Sanogo and Clingan together. They would have absolutely no answer for that.

caw

Reaction Score
It’s going to be an interesting battle between three point defense and three point offense.

UConn limits attempts from three to about 25%. And Nova takes about 50% of their shots from three. Of the shots UConn allows, opponents do not make a high percentage usually. Nova shoots fairly well as a team.

Reaction Score
It’ll be interesting to see if Nova is helped by some BS fouls on our bigs early. If the game is called equally I just don’t see how they can beat us aside from us having our worst shooting game and them shooting the lights out

Reaction Score
Villanova is a fundamentally sound team that always seems to have good shooting. I'm glad that we have a big guard with Newton- those memories of RJ trying to contend with Collin Gillespie are a thing of the past. I think UConn will win convincingly but it won't be a blowout, maybe by 12.

Reaction Score
Villanova: 7-5 overall;
2-5 without Whitmore
5-0 with Whitmore;

Kenpom Rating: 53 out of 363
Best wins:
  • 70-66 v #33 Oklahoma
    • Caleb Daniels: 22 points, 5-6 from 2, 3-4 from 3
  • 78-63 v #56 St. John’s
    • Eric Dixon: 18 points, 6 rebounds, 1 block, 2-5 from 3
Worst Losses:
  • 64-68 @ #134 Temple
    • Team was only 2-7 from 3, 13 TOs
  • 71-83 @ #115 Portland
    • 9-41 (!!) from three
OFFENSE: 15th in efficiency
  • 2nd in FT% (83.3%)
  • 4th in turnover rate (14.2%)
  • 7th in 3PA/FGA (49.6%)
  • 70th in 2P% (53.5%)
  • 123rd in FTA/FGA (33.1%)
  • ~ median in A/FGM (50.9%)
  • 309th in tempo (18.8 seconds/possession)
  • 330th in offensive rebound % (22.8)
DEFENSE: 123rd in efficiency
  • 32nd in slowing teams town (18.3 seconds/possession)
  • 28th in FTA/FGA (22.8%)
  • 130th in defensive rebounding rate
  • Median or below in
    • O2P% (49.7%)
    • 3P% (34.9%)
    • Turnover rate (18.3%, 211th)
  • Near bottom at
    • 3PA/FGA (43.4%)
    • A/FGM (61.2%)

View attachment 82301

View attachment 82302

I see a huge matchup to exploit down low with Dixon's defensive deficiencies with kickout opportunities with their poor perimeter defense. Plus, whoever is being guarded by Arcidiacono has slashing/attacking the rim opportunities possible.
BY Gold

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
They’ll swarm the bigs and force the shooters to beat them. Thankfully that strategy hasn’t worked for anyone so far.

Reaction Score
It’ll be interesting to see if Nova is helped by some BS fouls on our bigs early. If the game is called equally I just don’t see how they can beat us aside from us having our worst shooting game and them shooting the lights out

This is not some kind of David v. Goliath deal. It’s a little strange to me that some people are treating it like that.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I remember it vividly. KO was our coach. We were getting buried by Nova at the XL. I was talking to the guys next to me and said "this is ridiculous...we used to win these games. We need to start emailing Benedict and tell him to can KO or get us back in the BE."

I started emailing AD Dave and told him exactly that. He did both. Canned KO and got us back in the BE. Last year @ XL was awesome, but now we need to bury them. It's payback time. I don't want a close one. Crush them.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Oh they have something. Dixon owned Sanogo last year and besides that they will have some matchups they will like in their backdown offense.

Much tougher game than earlier year from them with Whitmore and Armstrong.

This is kind of a game I was looking at when I wished they had played Sanogo and Clingan together. They would have absolutely no answer for that.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Villanova is a fundamentally sound team that always seems to have good shooting. I'm glad that we have a big guard with Newton- those memories of RJ trying to contend with Collin Gillespie are a thing of the past. I think UConn will win convincingly but it won't be a blowout, maybe by 12.
There are only a couple of opponent players I really disliked over the years and Collin Gillespie is one of them. He got away with murder "backing down" opponents like a little Mack Truck slamming into them without getting called for an offensive foul. I've never seen anyone come close to getting away with what he did. That's on the refs. I actually admired the whole Villanova approach by Jay Wright who was a class act and who did a great job for the school and the Big East. Consistent excellence coaching their program. So glad to see Gillespie gone. Have to hand it to him though; he literally pushed his luck like a truck and got away with it.

Reaction Score
There are only a couple of opponent players I really disliked over the years and Collin Gillespie is one of them. He got away with murder "backing down" opponents like a little Mack Truck slamming into them without getting called for an offensive foul. I've never seen anyone come close to getting away with what he did. That's on the refs. I actually admired the whole Villanova approach by Jay Wright who was a class act and who did a great job for the school and the Big East. Consistent excellence coaching their program. So glad to see Gillespie gone. Have to hand it to him though; he literally pushed his luck like a truck and got away with it.

Watch Daniels then, he is the new Gillespie. Both good players but both get the edge from the stripes. Dixon will do this as well. Kadary Richmond is waiting around the corner again too. Depending on how our guys react there may need to be adjustments. Newton has been solid and backing down 6’5 is tougher than 5’11 Cole. Alleyne is tough and has good size too could see more time if making shots as well. Will be interesting.

Reaction Score
Hey come on, Sanogo does the same thing maybe with a bit less pushing but that is his signature move the backdown.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I remember it vividly. KO was our coach. We were getting buried by Nova at the XL. I was talking to the guys next to me and said "this is ridiculous...we used to win these games. We need to start emailing Benedict and tell him to can KO or get us back in the BE."

I started emailing AD Dave and told him exactly that. He did both. Canned KO and got us back in the BE. Last year @ XL was awesome, but now we need to bury them. It's payback time. I don't want a close one. Crush them.
Thank you for saving our program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom