Villanova Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Villanova Scouting Report

Reaction Score
What is this obsession of playing them together? Frankly I don't see it happening.

Far from obsession but certainly curious to see the potential mismatch on the offensive end versus certain opponents. If the ball isn’t falling from the perimeter why not shove it down their throats or try? Clingan is one of your best players, he played 9 minutes last game not enough. Maybe that’s a way to change that. Not looking for large chunks of time but would like to see how they react.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Need to return the favor from those blowouts during the Ollie years

Game at the XL, we're down like 20 at halftime, and we said we're walking out at 30. A couple of minutes into the 2nd half, we're down 30 and we walked out. Went to Black Eyed Sally's and wrang up a bar tag I don't want to talk about. Drinking to drown our sorrows, a miserable existence.

I'm drinking (at games) much less nowadays

Reaction Score
Nova guy’s take-

Whitmore needs to play more. He may be the most talented player in the league and him playing like 20 mins is making some of us scratch our heads. He can do everything. I still believe that we see way too much Chris Arcidiacono.

C.A. is a gritty, willing defender who can knock down an open shot. Makes his free throws. Offensively, he does not turn the ball over but does almost nothing to create dangerous situations. I think his lack of pressuring the defense leads to poor shots late in the clock. So, it is still a waste of a trip. I would rather risk an extra turnover or two per game. Moore‘s return will hopefully change things in a couple of weeks. . Hard to criticize the kid. He Gives ya all he’s got…all the time. But, to me he is a substitute that is playing a starter role.

For now, The offense is looks better when Armstrong is out there,

Hausen may be the best shooter arrive Nova in over 20 years. (He shoots 100 3s after practice and is normally around 93). when he fills out a little and can handle defending multiple positions in their Switching defense He will see a lot more time.

Moore’s defense, scoring and ability to play the point has been sorely missed. Nova needed to tread water until he came back. At times, we didn’t.

Daniels is a bruising guard who can shoot and defend. draws a lot of fouls He is not a great passer and isnt much of a facilitator aside from causing collapses on his drives to the lane.

slater is a streaky offensive contributor. Very athletic and a good ft shooter. Can defend bigger guys. But, has had some surprising defensive lapses that seem more frustrating if his shot isn’t falling. He is best when taking the ball to the rim.

Dixon is a very skilled offensive player. Passes, shoots, skilled at drawing contact. Can hit the 3 as well. Sanogo had trouble with him at times. I picture that This is where Clingan‘s size may be most useful.

For some reason this team seems to start cold. Their defense of the long ball early in games has been maddening.

Reaction Score
Nova guy’s take-

Whitmore needs to play more. He may be the most talented player in the league and him playing like 20 mins is making some of us scratch our heads. He can do everything. I still believe that we see way too much Chris Arcidiacono.

C.A. is a gritty, willing defender who can knock down an open shot. Makes his free throws. Offensively, he does not turn the ball over but does almost nothing to create dangerous situations. I think his lack of pressuring the defense leads to poor shots late in the clock. So, it is still a waste of a trip. I would rather risk an extra turnover or two per game. Moore‘s return will hopefully change things in a couple of weeks. . Hard to criticize the kid. He Gives ya all he’s got…all the time. But, to me he is a substitute that is playing a starter role.

For now, The offense is looks better when Armstrong is out there,

Hausen may be the best shooter arrive Nova in over 20 years. (He shoots 100 3s after practice and is normally around 93). when he fills out a little and can handle defending multiple positions in their Switching defense He will see a lot more time.

Moore’s defense, scoring and ability to play the point has been sorely missed. Nova needed to tread water until he came back. At times, we didn’t.

Daniels is a bruising guard who can shoot and defend. draws a lot of fouls He is not a great passer and isnt much of a facilitator aside from causing collapses on his drives to the lane.

slater is a streaky offensive contributor. Very athletic and a good ft shooter. Can defend bigger guys. But, has had some surprising defensive lapses that seem more frustrating if his shot isn’t falling. He is best when taking the ball to the rim.

Dixon is a very skilled offensive player. Passes, shoots, skilled at drawing contact. Can hit the 3 as well. Sanogo had trouble with him at times. I picture that This is where Clingan‘s size may be most useful.

For some reason this team seems to start cold. Their defense of the long ball early in games has been maddening.
Armstrong does make them look better for now agree. Slater may be streaky most of the time but usually not against our Huskies I expect he will make most of his. This is a great test for our Huskies no doubt and we will get a good idea of where we can adjust defensively as it will be a change of running offense to many of the new Huskies. I'm excited to watch this game!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dixon being forced to cover Sanogo one on one in the post with a one in, four out offense, is so enjoyable to think about. Then Clingan comes in.

This will he a game to check Newton's progress. He has been penetrsting and trying to pass on the fly. Nova will make some passes seem tempting and pick them off when Newton tried to make decisions in the air.

Jackson squaring up Whitmore is must watch TV.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Game at the XL, we're down like 20 at halftime, and we said we're walking out at 30. A couple of minutes into the 2nd half, we're down 30 and we walked out. Went to Black Eyed Sally's and wrang up a bar tag I don't want to talk about. Drinking to drown our sorrows, a miserable existence.

I'm drinking (at games) much less nowadays
Sounds like my experience that day. Those days are in the rear view mirror and getting further behind.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Sounds like my experience that day. Those days are in the rear view mirror and getting further behind.
I remember being there just stewing. Place wasn't even close to full and all I could think about was "WTF has happened?" Same thing that year vs. Wichita State.

Reaction Score
Far from obsession but certainly curious to see the potential mismatch on the offensive end versus certain opponents. If the ball isn’t falling from the perimeter why not shove it down their throats or try? Clingan is one of your best players, he played 9 minutes last game not enough. Maybe that’s a way to change that. Not looking for large chunks of time but would like to see how they react.
Wait till sampson comes back. That will change the dynamics.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
People are underestimating the return of a guy that was good enough for real rotation minutes on the best team in the country. Supposedly was a star in the scrimmage against Virginia, the other guy is having a nice season (Hawkins). Especially when all he needs to do is give quality defensive minutes when Karaban needs a spell, or we want to go 5 out for stretches. The team could also use another rim protector. I’m excited to see what he brings.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
People are underestimating the return of a guy that was good enough for real rotation minutes on the best team in the country. Supposedly was a star in the scrimmage against Virginia, the other guy is having a nice season (Hawkins). Especially when all he needs to do is give quality defensive minutes when Karaban needs a spell, or we want to go 5 out for stretches. The team could also use another rim protector. I’m excited to see what he brings.
Sometimes Karaban looks like a freshman also, so he will be a welcomed addition on those nights. These guys run with each other everyday, so if they are all big on Samson, I cant imagine they are just being nice to him.

Reaction Score
Oh they have something. Dixon owned Sanogo last year and besides that they will have some matchups they will like in their backdown offense.

Much tougher game than earlier year from them with Whitmore and Armstrong.

This is kind of a game I was looking at when I wished they had played Sanogo and Clingan together. They would have absolutely no answer for that.

Sanogo got into foul trouble last year. He should still feel the burn from that day.

Reaction Score
Sanogo got into foul trouble last year. He should still feel the burn from that day.
First game at Nova yes. Second game in Hartford Sanogo was very good while Dixon was a non-factor. Hopefully that repeats again in Hartford

Reaction Score
Sometimes Karaban looks like a freshman also, so he will be a welcomed addition on those nights. These guys run with each other everyday, so if they are all big on Samson, I cant imagine they are just being nice to him.
We’ve seen so little of him it’s hard to remember or project, but yes he was a starter.

Reaction Score
The more weapons, the merrier I feel. The Dan Hurley “Kill Them” tour.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dixon roasted Sanogo for 24/12 last year in Philadelphia, while Sanogo was hampered with foul trouble.

Don’t sleep on Dixon he can be good.
And while Clingan is a tough matchup for Dixon on D, I don’t think Clingan can chase Dixon outside all day. Hurley has a tendency to focus on defensive matchups, even if it means losing an offensive advantage.

Reaction Score
And while Clingan is a tough matchup for Dixon on D, I don’t think Clingan can chase Dixon outside all day. Hurley has a tendency to focus on defensive matchups, even if it means losing an offensive advantage.

Agree and he’s right to do so. But this team is going to back you down 75-80% of the time. If you start getting in foul trouble and can’t make shots down the other end as well, you always have the option to zone this team and make them make shots. They aren’t the Nova of old so this could be a potential adjustment. Please try to come into a zone with Sanogo and Clingan guarding the paint.

They play great D so I doubt we get there, but if struggling I would hope they have practiced this for a future matchup.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Agree and he’s right to do so. But this team is going to back you down 75-80% of the time. If you start getting in foul trouble and can’t make shots down the other end as well, you always have the option to zone this team and make them make shots. They aren’t the Nova of old so this could be a potential adjustment. Please try to come into a zone with Sanogo and Clingan guarding the paint.

They play great D so I doubt we get there, but if struggling I would hope they have practiced this for a future matchup.
Agreed. Training is where future battles are won or lost. In the heat of battle, when there isn't time to think very much, you remember your training.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Its no coincidence that when Whitmore came back that this Nova team started winning... he's a stud.
Frankly, I'm a bit concerned about our matchup with him at PF.
Karaban is about the same height, but gives up over 20 lbs on Whitmore and has struggled defending some bigger guys lately.
Hoping that Samson Johnson is good to go and can get some run. Hope he can be effective, but there's gonna be some rust.

Reaction Score
Its no coincidence that when Whitmore came back that this Nova team started winning... he's a stud.
Karaban is about the same height, but gives up over 20 lbs on Whitmore and has struggled defending some bigger guys lately.
Hoping that Samson Johnson is good to go and can get some run. Hope he can be effective, but there's gonna be some rust.
Cam Whitmore meet Andre Jackson

Reaction Score
I agree Whitmore is a stud, but to play devils advocate here they started this 5 game winning streak ranked Kenpom #53 and they are still Kenpom #53 today. We should absolutely handle them at home and will likely be double digit favorites.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom