Villanova Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Villanova Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
he's not alone, a lot of ppl liked Romo early on, but now it's clear how he has favorites. Josh Allen and Mahomes he got excited, Burrow did something and he got depressed. If you want to be a fanboy that's fine, but if you're going to be picking favorites then don't call the games unless you are the team's announcer.
Romo is an arrogant blow hard who is well past his sell by date....this coming from a die hard cowboy fan. can't stand listeing to his jibberish.

Reaction Score
Folks, there is a lot of complaining on the BY about the refs. While I will acknowledge some inconsistency by the refs, the fouls more than evened out in UConn’s favor. Nova was whistled for 7 more fouls than UConn (23-16). The Huskies shot 14 more FT’s than the Wildcats (26-12), scoring 11 more pts from the FT line (17-6).

Considering that UConn won by 9 pts, I would not at all be surprised if Villanova fans were complaining right now about how the refs handed the game to UConn.
The problem was, as I saw it, not the amount or disparity in foul calls, but the fact that they called the ticky-tack fouls, and had a blind eye on the assaults.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The problem was, as I saw it, not the amount or disparity in foul calls, but the fact that they called the ticky-tack fouls, and had a blind eye on the assaults.
My point exactly when I commented about the “inconsistency” of the refs. From a fouling standpoint the game was a bit of a roller coaster, with the refs alternately calling it tight and letting them play.

Reaction Score
First, a solid win on the road. After letting Siegrist roam for 10 early points, the team collectively did a great job defensively on her, not allowing her clean looks. Aaliyah struggled again offensively, but made up for it with her rebounding and having the primary responsibility of guarding Siegrist.

The game was not pretty as the refs wanted to stamp their imprint on the game. Lou was back in her "flow."

One peeve I had was with the announcers. IT appeared they were more interested in hearing themselves speak rather than cal the game. It was beyond annoying how they couldn't let one second pass without speaking. Is it me or did anyone else feel likewise.

Hopefully, the team can have a few breathers in the next 3 games before the BE tournament begins.
I felt the same way about the announcers. Just kept talking without adding anything to the experience.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If this team could cut their to's in half the games would be over much much more sooner. 20+ turnovers a game isn't gonna cut it come tournament time.
The turnover problem is certainly persistent, and shows just how much UConn misses a player like Azzi who, in addition to being the team’s best shooter, is also an excellent passer who takes care of the ball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is only one legitimate perimeter threat (Lou). Hopefully, Caroline makes it two. Spread a group of shooters around the floor, i.e. Lou, Caroline, Azzi & Paige (sigh) and the half court offense would open up, spreading the floor, with defenders scrambling to stop everything UConn could throw at them.

Reaction Score
This part of Nika’s game largely disappeared after Azzi and Caroline were injured. With only Lou as a perimeter threat, opponents started packing the paint and holding Lou. As a result, driving the lane got a lot harder for everyone, but especially for Nika and Aubrey. You’ll notice this is also when it got a lot harder for Aaliyah and Dorka to score on post moves. Just too many defenders in the paint.

Nika and Aubrey and the others didn’t simply forget how to play. The terms of the game changed on them and they had to adjust what they were trying to do. If you expect Aaliyah and Dorka to have easy post moves in the paint like Cameron Brink, or Nika and Aubrey to slash to the rim like Haley Jones, they need to have a clean lane. Stanford’s perimeter shooters make that possible for them, and ours used to make it possible for us.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
With all do respect, what does any of this have to do with bad officiating?

This stat is mostly useless. The first five fouls, if not while shooting, do not cause a FT attempt. In theory you could have two teams with 5 files each and have a 10-0 FTA disparity. Never mind the end of regulation "fouls" from the losing team, that add to the discrepancy.

There are whistles and there are fouls. A 3 second call is a whistle but not a foul. A charge is whistle and a foul (plus scored as a turnover). The inconsistency is not only in who gets more whistles, but what is the result of the whistle (i.e foul or turnover?). Many people who want to see fewer whistles(like myself) are not advocating for fewer fouls. Do you see the difference? I would prefer refs be loose on the nit-picky turnover violations and tight on the physicality (i.e fewer no-calls). A directive by the NCAAW to officiate in this manner, would help. IMHO. Not holding my breath.

Fairness has nothing to do with it. We won and the officiating was still horrible. If UConn lost, the mantra is, "loser's whine, etc". The fact that you think it favored one team over another is proof of poor officiating. If UConn fouled Siegrist, call it. If they didn't, then the officials are poor. You agree? If Siegrist fouled a UConn player, call it. If they didn't then the officiating is poor. The idea that criticizing officials, by fans, is somehow a bad reflection on the fans is baloney, and frankly, I do not understand the posters who run to the refs defense, while ignoring what both teams fans see: bad officiating. As you state.
What about the uncalled fouls where Siegrist was held or ended up on the floor? There were many. I understand complaints about inconsistency and incompetence but not the constant whine that every uncalled foul hurts UConn alone.

Reaction Score
The turnover problem is certainly persistent, and shows just how much UConn misses a player like Azzi who, in addition to being the team’s best shooter, is also an excellent passer who takes care of the ball.
No doubt. She would be the secondary passer.

The problem right now is twofold in my mind. First, Nika is trying to force passes because there is no real other option to make a play. That means someone as the target who is not open enough to get the ball or someone getting the ball in the wrong place. I think half of the time Nika should just settle for a safe, horizontal pass and then cut and perhaps the turnovers with her passes or by the bigs will decrease. Perhaps not.

Secondly, because of the lack of a secondary playmaker and also quick release shooter you have less first passes going for a shot and our bigs are handling the ball more and have to make passing plays or try to force moves like drives or spin moves all of which cause turnovers.

It is similar to the Caroline phenomenon. Many BYers forgot how valuable she is and then she comes back and wins the game against Creighton. Suddenly everyone remembers. Assuming Azzi's return you will see a brand new team again. A 7 player rotation with a great outside shooting cadre and less turnovers and voila. A real eye treat.

Reaction Score
What about the uncalled fouls where Siegrist was held or ended up on the floor? There were many. I understand compl about inconsistency and incompetence but not the constant whine that every uncalled foul hurts UConn alone.
Ordinarily I’m with you on this issue. Poor officiating tends to hurt both teams more or less equally. Officials don’t tend to favor a team — though in certain arenas it’s probably hard for an official not to be influenced by a roaring crowd. The Tennessee game comes to mind. This game was not like that.

But I still think the officiating yesterday happened to hurt UConn’s game more. Lou is just too easy a target, and if she can be knocked off her game, packing the paint becomes an effective strategy. I’ve watched the game 3 times through now, with much pausing and rewinding, and I just didn’t see Siegrist being held very much. Certainly nothing on the scale that Lou had to fight through.

But if we were to imagine calling all the holds and bumps Siegrist suffered as well as those Lou endured, and Aaliyah, Olsen would have fouled out before the end of the third quarter, Dalce too. Aubrey, Nika, Lou and Aaliyah simply did not hold Siegrist a comparable amount.

This sort of officiating tight would have changed the tone of the game completely, and maybe not for the better. But simply paying a little more attention to excessive contact, especially on cuts and screens, seems like a reasonable thing to hope for.

As long as teams think they can do this to Lou with Impunity, they won’t be able to resist doing it to Azzi, too, when she returns.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Originally I thought Dorka was gassed for quite a bit during the game, however the sprained ankle had a bit to do with her mobility.
Some of this substack article may be behind a paywall:
"In UConn’s final practice before heading to Villanova, Dorka Juhász sprained her ankle in a non-contact incident. The early indications weren’t good.

“I already sprained it, so that kinda was a re-sprain but it got a little worse,” she said. “I was not able to finish the practice. I wasn't really able to bear a lot of weight on it. I did a lot of icing, rehab and obviously, today it was still was pretty much bothering me on every jump, every change of direction.”

“I don’t know if that would’ve happened last year,” Geno Auriemma said.

It wasn’t easy, though. Juhász visibly struggled to get up and down the floor, and tweaked it a few times throughout the game as well. Even still, she only went to the bench twice throughout the entire contest."

Reaction Score
What about the uncalled fouls where Siegrist was held or ended up on the floor? There were many. I understand compl about inconsistency and incompetence but not the constant whine that every uncalled foul hurts UConn alone.
Well, we are crazy devoted fans so our perception is often jaded. The real issue is the overall quality of officiating in the women's game, which is atrocious in my mind, and why it is that way, and how and when it gets fixed.

Reaction Score
Originally I thought Dorka was gassed for quite a bit during the game, however the sprained ankle had a bit to do with her mobility.
Some of this substack article may be behind a paywall:
"In UConn’s final practice before heading to Villanova, Dorka Juhász sprained her ankle in a non-contact incident. The early indications weren’t good.

“I already sprained it, so that kinda was a re-sprain but it got a little worse,” she said. “I was not able to finish the practice. I wasn't really able to bear a lot of weight on it. I did a lot of icing, rehab and obviously, today it was still was pretty much bothering me on every jump, every change of direction.”

“I don’t know if that would’ve happened last year,” Geno Auriemma said.

It wasn’t easy, though. Juhász visibly struggled to get up and down the floor, and tweaked it a few times throughout the game as well. Even still, she only went to the bench twice throughout the entire contest."
She is a warrior and in my mind doesn't get enough credit and kudos.

Reaction Score
UCONN did an outstanding job of defending Villanova and on the flip side Villanova played poor defense. UCONN had so many lay ups in this game it was hard to miss many of them. The only reason this wasn't a blowout was the TOs. I saw many that were credited to the post player but it should have been on the passer who threw the ball into a crowd.

The offense hit some clutch shots but overall they looked like they had tired legs. The decision to make AE the center of the offense and Dorka going to the basket ended up being he difference. The players were amazing, they simply refused to lose this game and the coaches made some great adjustments in the second half.

They have 5-6 players that are as good as any in the country. My concern is still the mindset of playing those five regardless of how tired they get in the game. Geno said in his pregame interview he would need to force himself to play his bench but once the game started it was clear how many would play unless the whole team foulded out.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1. Where is the Tony Romo or Tim McCarver of NCAAW TV announcing? At the end of the game there was very little good explanation of what was going on. The coverage of the Caroline Collision missed a lot.
2. Camera work?
3. Just asking...
Unfortunately, McCarver just passed away a couple days ago.

Reaction Score
Ordinarily I’m with you on this issue. Poor officiating tends to hurt both teams more or less equally. Officials don’t tend to favor a team — though in certain arenas it’s probably hard for an official not to be influenced by a roaring crowd. The Tennessee game comes to mind. This game was not like that.

But I still think the officiating yesterday happened to hurt UConn’s game more. Lou is just too easy a target, and if she can be knocked off her game, packing the paint becomes an effective strategy. I’ve watched the game 3 times through now, with much pausing and rewinding, and I just didn’t see Siegrist being held very much. Certainly nothing on the scale that Lou had to fight through.

But if we were to imagine calling all the holds and bumps Siegrist suffered as well as those Lou endured, and Aaliyah, Olsen would have fouled out before the end of the third quarter, Dalce too. Aubrey, Nika, Lou and Aaliyah simply did not hold Siegrist a comparable amount.

This sort of officiating tight would have changed the tone of the game completely, and maybe not for the better. But simply paying a little more attention to excessive contact, especially on cuts and screens, seems like a reasonable thing to hope for.

As long as teams think they can do this to Lou with Impunity, they won’t be able to resist doing it to Azzi, too, when she returns.
Okay, Bone Dog, we'll just have to agree to disagree here. And, actually, it isn't about disagreeing. I agree with nearly all of what you say. However, my point was not about how Lou is consistently held grabbed, etc., or about whether Maddy and her teammates got away with stuff, or about those terrible calls against Nika when Lucy Olsen shoved her, or about that weird jump ball call involving Nika. I'm with you on all of that. Those points are undeniable.

My point was simply that Aaliyah was getting away with fouls while defending Siegrist. If you couldn't see that, no matter how many times you watched the game, well, that's end of story.

As for my favorite players, they are UConn Huskies. Yet I also admire and will make positive points about players like Caitlin Clark, Haley Jones and Siegrist on this board because they're great players, and too many BYers criticize them just because they don't play for UConn.

I'm a UConn fan and am so glad it beat Villanova yesterday. Yet that doesn't keep me from seeing when the Huskies commit fouls or officials blow calls that wind up favoring UConn. Down the road, I surely hope the Huskies get plenty of those breaks! Cheers!:cool:

Reaction Score
What about the uncalled fouls where Siegrist was held or ended up on the floor? There were many. I understand complaints about inconsistency and incompetence but not the constant whine that every uncalled foul hurts UConn alone.
Love Maddy's game, but she flopped at least twice, and got at least one call for it.

Reaction Score
My point was simply that Aaliyah was getting away with fouls while defending Siegrist. If you couldn't see that, no matter how many times you watched the game, well, that's end of story.
I never disputed that calls were missed on both sides. I can’t imagine disagreeing about that. I also have said I don’t care for games called too tightly. But this point here is inseparable from what you say you agree with.

Call all the fouls on both teams and Villanova loses by much more. Why? Because the key to stopping Aaliyah was holding her in the paint. Once their primary post defenders had fouled out, sometime mid-3rd quarter I imagine, Aaliyah wouldn’t have needed any help scoring in the paint. All the more so if Burke, Siegrist, Olsen and Mullin got whistled for all the holds on Lou. This is what I observed — and you disliked — in an earlier post about the previous game, which also appeared more competitive than it really was.

Would Aaliyah have fouled out for her defense of Siegrist? No, because she wasn’t her primary defender. Take away the absurd calls on Lou and Nika and no one on UConn is remotely in danger of fouling out covering Siegrist no matter how many touch fouls are called. And the undeniable visual fact is that Maddy was not getting roughed up nearly as hard as Lou.

But who cares about this, really, in the end. We’re seeing the new form of the game, and none of us likes it. Freedom of movement is out the window, a casualty of officials bewildered by all the flopping early in the season. By the time they remember how not to whistle the flops, sometime mid-season, they’ve become inured to all the holds. In the meantime, the rest of the BE thinks they see a way to steal a win against UConn by playing bully ball, not realizing they themselves play the very same style of ball being destroyed by this tactic.

Reaction Score
I never disputed that calls were missed on both sides. I can’t imagine disagreeing about that. I also have said I don’t care for games called too tightly. But this point here is inseparable from what you say you agree with.

Call all the fouls on both teams and Villanova loses by much more. Why? Because the key to stopping Aaliyah was holding her in the paint. Once their primary post defenders had fouled out, sometime mid-3rd quarter I imagine, Aaliyah wouldn’t have needed any help scoring in the paint. All the more so if Burke, Siegrist, Olsen and Mullin got whistled for all the holds on Lou. This is what I observed — and you disliked — in an earlier post about the previous game, which also appeared more competitive than it really was.

Would Aaliyah have fouled out for her defense of Siegrist? No, because she wasn’t her primary defender. Take away the absurd calls on Lou and Nika and no one on UConn is remotely in danger of fouling out covering Siegrist no matter how many touch fouls are called. But the undeniable visual fact is that Maddy was not getting hit nearly as hard as Lou.

But who cares about this, really, in the end. We’re seeing the new form of the game, and none of us likes it. Freedom of movement is out the window, a casualty of officials bewildered by all the flopping early in the season. By the time they remember how not to whistle the flops, sometime mid-season, they’ve become inured to all the holds. In the meantime, the rest of the BE thinks they see a way to steal a win against UConn by playing bully ball, not realizing they themselves play the very same style of ball being destroyed by this tactic.
I agree with your last point, Bone Dog. Otherwise, not so much...

Reaction Score
Bad calls on both sides. refs missed several against nova in the first half but yet seemed to make up for them with at least 4 ticky tacky fouls they called on nova. second half, it seemed that ALL of the big calls went against uconn and they were only big bc the calls were so terrible.

that said, i am wearing my husky blue glasses so maybe I'm a bit biased but......lets see,

CD and AE get smacked in the face, no call... as usual lou gets mugged, no call, lou gets fouled while shooting, no call, AE gets fouled on put back, no call, NM gets body checked into another player...foul on NM, NM boxing out and gets a foul, AE reaches around a player and slaps the ball out of bounds and gets called for a foul. i think i have forgotten a few others. now did we play physical with Maddy, well of course we did but I think it was reasonably within the rules of BB.

anyway, we won and played great defense, although nova did miss some open shots. most disappointing is that GA doesnt even think that Yana deserves even a minute of time.

Too many TOs from NM, although as stated before, many of the great assist players of all time, routinely were league leaders in TOs. I don't entirely fault NM for all the TOs. She also caused 3 nova TOs so that makes up for some of her own TOs anyway. Not all of her 4 fouls were silly either. But, I think Olsen out played her. I know NM feels slightly by the refs and sometimes she has a point, but she needs to compose herself better. Dropping F bombs at the ref isn't going to get you anywhere.

AE and Dorka continue to fail against double teams and turn the ball over. Maybe they know they have to do a bit more than they are capable and hence it happens. AE in particular, just doesn't seem to recognize the double coming and dribbles right into it. Rebounding was great although many times, Nova conceeded the rebound and ran back on defense.

Most disconcerning is that we can't get out of the 60s in 6 out of the last 7 games. I don't think that changes much with CD in the lineup, unless she consistently hits threes. Teams will make her drive and better teams will defend her drives well. Those long, slow-step, underhand scoop shots look nice, but I don't think they work as well against better teams. She does give us another good player but she isn't the answer. Of course, I'm pulling for her. The real answer is Azzi if she ever gets back this season.

Still so proud of this group! They aren't perfect but they certainly play hard. Also despite the lack of bench, they stretched out the lead in the second half and eventually handled their business in the 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom