Villanova McDonalds All American Shines. | The Boneyard

Villanova McDonalds All American Shines.

Reaction Score
Will be a tough assignment for us in the coming years, Whitmore can play.

When will we start getting McDonalds All Americans again? Hurley has definitely improved the recruiting over the past couple of years hopefully we take that step soon

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Castle has a better than average shot at being one. Wouldn’t be surprised if at least one more of our future 2023 commits (assuming we close on some of the guys we get linked to a lot) is also one. Edwards will make it. Griffiths will have a good shout. And so on. Be patient, we’ll be fine.

Reaction Score
Castle has a better than average shot at being one. Wouldn’t be surprised if at least one more of our future 2023 commits (assuming we close on some of the guys we get linked to a lot) is also one. Edwards will make it. Griffiths will have a good shout. And so on. Be patient, we’ll be fine.
I know you're post is about McDonald's AA, but
We are patient.

Our last regular season championship was 2005/06 (Big East)(shocking to type that....).
Our last conference tournament championship was the 2016 AAC.
Our last NCAA Tournament win was 2016.

Pretty soon we'll be like Yankees fans clinging to 2009.

What's your patience timeline? We need some game changing players.

Reaction Score
we still have 4 schollys to fill for next season. priorities.

Reaction Score
If Nova wins another title like a majority of the board wants they will get any McDonald’s AA over UConn every time (that considers both programs)

But keep rooting for Nova cause they are the big east

Reaction Score
We are patient.

Our last regular season championship was 2005/06 (Big East)(shocking to type that....).

Prior to this season, Duke had only won the ACC regular season once since 2006 as well.

The postseason wins will start to happen again as more talent joins the program. We're getting there. The two guys that left the program recently are leaving because they aren't good enough to get us to that point. Trust that Hurley will find the right talent to get the job done

Reaction Score
If Nova wins another title like a majority of the board wants they will get any McDonald’s AA over UConn every time (that considers both programs)

Thought I was the only one that didn't fall in line with this thinking. Rooting for a team that is already a level above us to widen the gap?? The hell with Nova.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We are patient.

Winning the Big East title was a crapshoot until 2013. There were so many high level teams it was ridiculous.
Ollie ran us into the ground in the AAC.
And Hurley has been piecing it back together, and really progressing us each year.
And our last 2 championships, we had mediocre regular seasons before getting hot late.
So it’s not too shocking that we haven’t been at the top of the conference for a while.

As long as we take another step forward next year, then I’m okay with the level we are at with Hurley. It’s freaking hard to win trophies. Just ask 97% of the other Division 1 schools that aren’t like UNC, Duke and Villanova.

Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts here. Isn’t Justin Moore out? They aren’t winning without him.

Reaction Score
83B94F27-E4A3-41DF-9645-2F07655448CD.gif

Reaction Score

Nova getting McD guys will help UConn.

Reaction Score

When will we start getting McDonalds All Americans again? Hurley has definitely improved the recruiting over the past couple of years hopefully we take that step soon

Three 5-stars for Musselman at Arkansas. Uggh!

Reaction Score

I keep saying this as well. If they win another title Jay Wright will quite literally be the best HC in America and the high school All-Americans are going to come flocking. They'll be bringing in top 5 ranked classes every year, but go Nova, right?

Reaction Score

So say Nova had an off year this year and the Big East had no teams go deeper than the sweet 16. Do you really think that would make UConn more attractive to five stars ?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Three 5-stars for Musselman at Arkansas. Uggh!
Remember when we had 2 five-stars playing together - the two highest-rated recruits in UConn history - and we didn't win squat?

Of the 10 five-stars UConn has recruited, only one got the real hardware. Few will remember the other 9 as time passes. But that one is legendary.

It's nice press to get, but it doesn't mean anything unless they bring it in actual D1 games.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

Good catch by Nova. Kid is a pro.

Reaction Score

I normally root for our league's teams as that makes us look better, but it's getting hard to root for Volvonova.
Their coach has had some very good years but didn't become a certified genius until the OBE broke up. They've won the BE tournament 8 times and guess what? 7 of them have been since UConn left the league. 7 of their 8 wins have been since 2014. Time to depose them.

Reaction Score
O.K. this is a good place to put this article. I thought this was interesting. Shows the recruiting rankings of the starters on each of the teams in the Final Four. Only 1 top 10 guy (Banchero). Not even too many 5 stars except Duke. Lots of 4 stars, which is what Hurley has been recruiting. Check out the rankings of the Kansas and Villanova teams.

There's a lot more to having a successful team than getting McDonald's All Americans.

Reaction Score
Remember when we had 2 five-stars playing together - the two highest-rated recruits in UConn history - and we didn't win squat?

Of the 10 five-stars UConn has recruited, only one got the real hardware. Few will remember the other 9 as time passes. But that one is legendary.

It's nice press to get, but it doesn't mean anything unless they bring it in actual D1 games.
Rip Hamilton was a top 20 recruit, doesn't that make him a 5-star? El-Amin was also highly rated out of high school and a McD's All-American. Not to mention Charlie Villaneuva, DeAndre Daniels, Alex Oriakhi and Kemba.

It's nice to have 5 star players.

Reaction Score
If you want to be Avis. Sure.

Hurley needs to win in the NCAA to help UConn.
Aren't you the guy that's not entirely super impressed with the New Big East? I actually don't think you're wrong. This league needs top teams because it's position is more precarious than people imagine.

Reaction Score
Prior to this season, Duke had only won the ACC regular season once since 2006 as well.

The postseason wins will start to happen again as more talent joins the program. We're getting there. The two guys that left the program recently are leaving because they aren't good enough to get us to that point. Trust that Hurley will find the right talent to get the job done
Sort of a weird cherry picked stat to say that Duke has only won one regular season ACC title since 2006. First off, pretty sure they won another regular season one in 2010. They’ve also won a chip since then, have a slew of elite 8 appearances, some final fours, etc.

I don’t think you made the point you wanted to

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Rip Hamilton was a top 20 recruit, doesn't that make him a 5-star? El-Amin was also highly rated out of high school and a McD's All-American. Not to mention Charlie Villaneuva, DeAndre Daniels, Alex Oriakhi and Kemba.

It's nice to have 5 star players.
I went by this list, which goes back to 2000. BB-Ref also doesn't give NCSI ranks pre-2000. IIRC, Rip and KEA were McD's guys, but obviously from the pre-1-and-done era.

My original post was wrong as Oriakhi also has hardware, although my #1 memory of him will always be his dad and leaving.

There was a thread 11 years ago where @DogMania posited whether a UConn McD's team would beat a UConn "All-Wendys" team (Wendy's = non McD NBAers). I agree with him that I'd take the Wendy's squad.

My point being that 5-stars might make you feel good, but they're not necessary.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We are patient.

How can one ignore three final fours and two national titles since making this timeline argument? Shocking omission, save for the fact nothing shocks me around here anymore

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom