Villanova line | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Villanova line

Reaction Score
On November 19th, our football team was playing at Army.
We had won 5 of the previous 6, coming off a win against #18 in the polls.
Army had 3 wins at the time, coming off of losses to Troy and Air Force.

Somehow Vegas had us as 10.5 point underdogs. I wanted what they were smoking.

We lost by 17.

Vegas knows stuff sometimes. I wish I knew what.

All that said, im still not betting at 14.5. Kinda seems like a lousy bet on both sides.....which I guess is the point.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

We lost by 17.

All that said, im still not betting at 14.5. Kinda seems like a lousy bet on both sides.....which I guess is the point.

Making a line which seems lousy for both sides is the opposite of what they want. They want fans and bettors to see both sides as sure things to drive bets.

Reaction Score

We lost by 17.

What Vegas knows is their customer. Setting the spread it really doesn't have to do with winning or losing but by what the betting public will do to have both sides of the bet equal in in terms of money bet.

Reaction Score
Making a line which seems lousy for both sides is the opposite of what they want. They want fans and bettors to see both sides as sure things to drive bets.
Yes sir, im aware.

I suppose if it's lousy on both sides to some/me, im sure it's also very enticing on both sides to others.

To me, it's lousy because of how hard everyone will play against us, and because we just has our first test. I doubt many non-UConn fans will see that, and will be fine betting that number.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
What app is this line on currently? I’m probably going to wait. But see this game going different than Georgetown. Georgetown, for all it’s bad coaching, had size, talent, and a great scoring guard (Spears) to keep it close. Villanova doesn’t have much outside of Whitmore. We should dominate the paint and let our perimeter defense flourish in this one.

Reaction Score
What app is this line on currently? I’m probably going to wait. But see this game going different than Georgetown. Georgetown, for all it’s bad coaching, had size, talent, and a great scoring guard (Spears) to keep it close. Villanova doesn’t have much outside of Whitmore. We should dominate the paint and let our perimeter defense flourish in this one.
It was 14.5 on Draftkings this morning and down to 14 now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree with the thought that the line is factoring in UConn dominance and has it a few points higher than otherwise.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
R u kidding me? -14.5??? Thought it would be like -5/6
We haven't won game by less than 10... yet you think vegas would make the line half of what we've done to date...at home. Interesting.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
UConn -5.5 would be a slam dunk bet on the favorite.

I was expecting -9.5 or maybe -10.5.

Yeah 8 or 9 was what I thought. Admittedly, I haven't seen any Villanova games since Whitmore came back so I can't say too strongly how crazy the line is.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Not sure we cover that big a number. This game is almost the exact opposite of the trap game against Georgetown. We have to be ready to start fast. This game is almost a must win for them. Whitmore projects as a top ten nba pick so they have talent. This is a game that makes me smile about our HC. If we start slow expect another T on Hurley..

Reaction Score
I’m not touching that either way. Novas not very deep so it could also be a very close game that we stretch at the very end.
I think this will be the trend all year, we play so deep and so tough on D that at that 8min mark left in the game they start to get tired and can’t keep up with our level of intensity

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Sure enough, it is already down to 12 on Draftkings and I'm already being offered a cash out at a 10% profit on my Nova +14.5 bet lol

This seems insane. You take 10% and you remake your bet. There has to be a catch.

Reaction Score
UConn men's basketball and football are games I will never bet on. And I sure as hell would never bet the opponent with the spread because I just can't get myself to root for an adverse outcome to UConn such as missing a FT, missing shots, missing FG, cheering for opponents to score, or whatever, to hope it wins my bet.

Now betting against the Yanks, NY Giants and any other favorite teams, I can and have done that repeatedly if I feel there is a great opportunity to make $$.

Anyone else feel that way?

Reaction Score
The responses in this thread tells me UConn covers.
hopefully, no offense to the others. I am not cheering for them to lose their $$, just for UConn to win handily :)

Reaction Score
What Vegas knows is their customer. Setting the spread it really doesn't have to do with winning or losing but by what the betting public will do to have both sides of the bet equal in in terms of money bet.
Bingo. You seem to be one of the few people that understands this. Then Vegas profits off of the vig/commission.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This seems insane. You take 10% and you remake your bet. There has to be a catch.
No catch. Draftkings thinks they're going to take a bath at Nova +14.5, so they're offering me a small profit instead of the (likely) more profitable move of me letting it ride.

I can't re-make the bet because the line is currently Nova +12.

1672184889583.png

Reaction Score
UConn men's basketball and football are games I will never bet on. And I sure as hell would never bet the opponent with the spread because I just can't get myself to root for an adverse outcome to UConn such as missing a FT, missing shots, missing FG, cheering for opponents to score, or whatever, to hope it wins my bet.

Now betting against the Yanks, NY Giants and any other favorite teams, I can and have done that repeatedly if I feel there is a great opportunity to make $$.

Anyone else feel that way?
No favorite team of mine is sacred. If there's an opportunity, because I know my team better than Vegas does, I'll bet it and sometimes bet big (I bet $200 against the UConn women at +195 when they were playing at Maryland down 2 starters and should never have been favored in the first place -- I knew something Vegas didn't).

Sometimes I lose (and don't mind too much), but overall I'm up a good percentage on these bets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom