Victory Formation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Victory Formation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm pretty much done explaining this. Griffen was wide open because Pitt didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to throw the ball there. Best case for Pitt they pick it off. Worst case they are down 3 scores with 5 minutes to play, which is a lot better than being down 3 scores with 3 minutes to play.

But you're consistent.......defending throwing the ball at costs. Just throw, baby.

Call it what you want #94 was wide open. Complete a freakin pass - like most college programs - and the game is over, period. It was an easy throw, nothing difficult about it. In or out (big time ball) but if the answer for Uconn is in then make those plays. Zero points in second half, yet again. Yeah! UConn has got this big time college football all figured out.

Reaction Score
Trust me, if Alabama or LSU ended a win the way PP did Friday it would be defcon 1,000,000 on Finebaum the following Monday. Snide cracks from horde dismissing legitimate, ongoing clock management issues aren't cool either.

Reaction Score
That's a pretty simplistic response. Does the outcome of any game really make a material difference in your life? It's a friggin game, so I'd hope not. That being said aren't you at all concerned when the people in charge of running the football team lack such basic competencies? We're not talking about disagreeing with a play call, we're talking about basic competencies. If you got in a taxi and the driver had the parking break on the whole time and couldn't get out of first gear, wouldn't you have reservations about using him again, even if he got you there safe?

Apples to oranges comparison. We're talking about the last minute and a half of the game, and you're talking about a mistake for "the whole time".

Reaction Score
Run the ball three times, make them use their time outs, kick the field goal, game over.

The only way Pitt gets back in the game is with a fumble or an interception. Our QB had thrown 13 interceptions on the season. run the ball, kick the field goal, end the game.

it's mind boggling that a former NFL coach and the winningest head coach in big east history can't add up the seconds on the play clock for a rew plays, convert the minutes on the clock to seconds, subtract the former from the latter, and realize he only needs to take a couple knees to end the game.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty much done explaining this. Griffen was wide open because Pitt didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to throw the ball there. Best case for Pitt they pick it off. Worst case they are down 3 scores with 5 minutes to play, which is a lot better than being down 3 scores with 3 minutes to play.

But you're consistent.......defending throwing the ball at costs. Just throw, baby.

While sitting in the stands watching that play unfold, my initial thought was " NO, NO, don't throw, for the same reasons you state, but right after it was picked off my next thought was " Well I'll be damned, this coaching staff actually sprouted a pair. so all in all, I was fine with the pass.

Reaction Score
Damned if they do, damned if they don't on the pass play!
look on the bright side...be happy that with a 24 point lead at the half that they didn't go into the victory formation at the stasrt of the second half!

Reaction Score
Run the ball three times, make them use their time outs, kick the field goal, game over.

The only way Pitt gets back in the game is with a fumble or an interception. Our QB had thrown 13 interceptions on the season. run the ball, kick the field goal, end the game.

it's mind boggling that a former NFL coach and the winningest head coach in big east history can't add up the seconds on the play clock for a rew plays, convert the minutes on the clock to seconds, subtract the former from the latter, and realize he only needs to take a couple knees to end the game.

These guys blow my mind. They get conservative when they should be laying on the hurt, they get aggressive when what really need is to kill the clock. At that point in the game you are almost better off burning time than scoring. If you score to soon then you leave time for the other team to score a quick TD, and onside kick and then you are really sweating.

Reaction Score
These guys blow my mind. They get conservative when they should be laying on the hurt, they get aggressive when what really need is to kill the clock. At that point in the game you are almost better off burning time than scoring. If you score to soon then you leave time for the other team to score a quick TD, and onside kick and then you are really sweating.

Sad state of affairs when people are ok with them being aggressive under any circumstances just for the sake of being aggressive. These guys are lost. Still think back to the end of the half against RU with astonishment.

Reaction Score
Sad state of affairs when people are ok with them being aggressive under any circumstances just for the sake of being aggressive. These guys are lost. Still think back to the end of the half against RU with astonishment.

This is where the coaching/decision making bit takes precedence over player execution.

It's gets hard for athletes of any ability to compete and deliver at an elite level, when the decision makers (coaches) are putting them in difficult positions.

When you insist on running Wildcat plays that only work 10% of the time on second down, it's not Chandler Whitmer's fault that he faces third and long so often.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I’m in the boat where this issue has run its course. So to recap...

1) The pass play, resulting in an interception in the end zone was a solidly aggressive call, but poorly executed.
1a) The result of said pass play call has raised into question whether the call should have been a run play (discounting that equally poor execution could have also resulted in a turnover).
2) The two run calls prior to the Victory Formation were poor decisions given the circumstances, reinforcing other poor clock management situations and overall game management by this coaching staff, in general.
3) Given a number of factors, most on this board want a change, in part or in the entirety, in the current football regime.
3a) If not, some will choose to spend their entertainment dollar elsewhere.
4) UConn won, which is no doubt a positive, but the ends do not justify the means.
5) Opinions of the beat writers from the Hartford Courant and Manchester Journal-Inquirer are the opposite of everything stated hereto.
5a) Not many, if any, on this board agree with the aforementioned beat writers’ opinions.

Does that about sum it up?

Reaction Score

1) The pass play, resulting in an interception in the end zone was a solidly aggressive call, but poorly executed.
1a) The result of said pass play call has raised into question whether the call should have been a run play (discounting that equally poor execution could have also resulted in a turnover).
2) The two run calls prior to the Victory Formation were poor decisions given the circumstances, reinforcing other poor clock management situations and overall game management by this coaching staff, in general.
3) Given a number of factors, most on this board want a change, in part or in the entirety, in the current football regime.
4) UConn won, which is no doubt a positive, but the ends do not justify the means.
5) Opinions of the beat writers from the Hartford Courant and Manchester Journal-Inquirer are the opposite of everything stated hereto.
5a) Not many, if any, on this board agree with the aforementioned beat writers’ opinions.

yep

Reaction Score
While sitting in the stands watching that play unfold, my initial thought was " NO, NO, don't throw, for the same reasons you state, but right after it was picked off my next thought was " Well I'll be damned, this coaching staff actually sprouted a pair. so all in all, I was fine with the pass.

Why can't a coaching staff be smart and have balls? Why does our staff have to be stupid and have balls at exactly the wrong time?

Reaction Score
Trust me, if Alabama or LSU ended a win the way PP did Friday it would be defcon 1,000,000 on Finebaum the following Monday. Snide cracks from horde dismissing legitimate, ongoing clock management issues aren't cool either.

You are aware of the Mad Hatters reputation for poor clock management right?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

5b) Some here are calling for the Hartford Courant to either find new beat writers or stop beat writing as they are embarasing themselves, the school and this state to the national college football scene.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Let me sum up the summary...

PP is not a good coach if he doesn't go the UConn athletic leadership puts the football program and donations at risk.

PP by not going into V formation put the game at risk but they won anyway

Its time for Des to stop defending him for a play call that was obviously wrong even in the eyes of a rookie fan

Reaction Score
Let me sum up the summary...

PP is not a good coach if he doesn't go the UConn athletic leadership puts the football program and donations at risk.

PP by not going into V formation put the game at risk but they won anyway

Its time for Des to stop defending him for a play call that was obviously wrong even in the eyes of a rookie fan

Nope.

He's demonstrated a consistent lack of judgement and ability to manage the clock. It doesn't matter if we won, he'll do this again someday and we will lose. Unacceptable.

Desmond Conner's coverage is disconnected from reality. John Silver's coverage is unrestricted apologia.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
5b) Some here are calling for the Hartford Courant to either find new beat writers or stop beat writing as they are embarasing themselves, the school and this state to the national college football scene.

I have no problem with Messrs. Conner and Silver stating their opinions and I don't necessarily agree that they should be reassigned or lose their jobs. What I didn't like was how they were plainly dismissive of their readership merely because the Huskies finally won a game. Journalists' credentials don't mean one is more informed about the sport in general.

I would have preferred an answer like, "I didn't have a problem with the play calling at the time, but I see your point. I don't agree, but it's valid". Instead we got, " They won, it doesn't matter."

The thing of it is, people sending in questions are anonymous or may go by different names. (I have a different name here than on the Courant). They don't know if they are talking to HuskyfanDan or Bill Parcells...or BOTH. You would think that alone would afford reciprocal respect...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Messrs. Conner and Silver stating their opinions and I don't necessarily agree that they should be reassigned or lose their jobs. What I didn't like was how they were plainly dismissive of their readership merely because the Huskies finally won a game. Journalists' credentials don't mean one is more informed about the sport in general.

I would have preferred an answer like, "I didn't have a problem with the play calling at the time, but I see your point. I don't agree, but it's valid". Instead we got, " They won, it doesn't matter."

The thing of it is, people sending in questions are anonymous or may go by different names. (I have a different name here than on the Courant). They don't know if they are talking to HuskyfanDan or Bill Parcells...or BOTH. You would think that alone would afford reciprocal respect...

#FIREEVERYONE

Reaction Score
You know whatss really funny to me at least, is that I didnt even know they didnt kneel on it to the next day. I was walking up the stairs and out w my group as soon as we were done cheering the first dow, bc the game was over. We won, those next plays were meaningless. The game was won, they practiced a handoff. Big deal. There are other clock issues to focus on that actually matter in DETERMINING THE OUTCOME of games rather than running a RB dive vs, a QB kneel when the game is already won. You all are quite funny about this, media and uconn crazies alike.

Reaction Score
You know whatss really funny to me at least, is that I didnt even know they didnt kneel on it to the next day. I was walking up the stairs and out w my group as soon as we were done cheering the first dow, bc the game was over. We won, those next plays were meaningless. The game was won, they practiced a handoff. Big deal. There are other clock issues to focus on that actually matter in DETERMINING THE OUTCOME of games rather than running a RB dive vs, a QB kneel when the game is already won. You all are quite funny about this, media and uconn crazies alike.

Reaction Score

If you're embarrassed due to our beat writers you really need to grow a thicker skin. If you think a single entity on "the national football scene" gives a crap about our beat reporters I think you're suffering from what Han Solo would call delusions of grandeur

Reaction Score

The game wasn't won, there was time on the clock. Just because you left your seat doesn't mean the game is over. If they fumbled the hand off or fumbled on the run while you were walking up those stairs we could have lost and the plays wouldn't have been quite so meaningless.

Reaction Score
Game was over. Running the clock down was a formality. Doea anyone really believe the coaches didnt know that? There are plenty of game time decisions regarding clock, momentim, timeouts that are questionable. I personally dont care if youhave the qb or the rb fall on it. I do care that for instance, you are playing field position and D in a game up by four scores, and are punting with 25 seconds on the play clock, and the game clock running. Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom