Victor Rosa, Baller | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Victor Rosa, Baller

Reaction Score
Sorry, can't resist. Yes, Good man,Tork. And yes regarding keeping his balance, a piledriver. ("Officially" was 6'2" 195) lean, a pile driver. So, beating UMass tonight..., only about 49 years ago today, '73 Homecoming vs. UMass, Tork ran for 109 Yds. on 31 carries, our obvious workhorse, extremely durable, beating UMass, 28-6.
My memory of Torkelson was the Rutgers game with J.J. Jennings. The Rutties fans were predicting that Jennings would rush for over 200 yards & that Snookie would win in a rout. UConn was ahead late in the game, & UConn drove the field with Eric getting 5 yards at a clip. UConn Wins. Torkelson outduels Jennings in rushing yardage 164 to 100. Tork is drafted by the Packers & has a long career, Jennings to the WFL & oblivion.

Reaction Score
Great post.

I'll 100% admit to this: prior to this season, I wasn't expecting more than a few trick plays and/or increased snaps for Rosa once the team was somewhere between 2-8 or 3-7 by this point of the year.

Instead, the Huskies are vastly exceeding expectations, in a real chance to play in a bowl game and Victor Rosa is our legit starting RB who has totally has taken advantage of a "next man up" opportunity. At his size and willingness to gain yards inside, I'm feeling shades of Lyle McCombs.

At the very least next season, (assuming all will stay) Rosa will be part of a very exciting three-man committee of Carter/Rosa/Houston.

@8893, you feeling some Earth (Burns), Wind (Rosa) & Fire (Houston) vibes circa 2008 Giants?

Is this just real life...
People see his size but underestimate his strength. He’s a weight room junkie and you can see he very rarely gets arm tackled.

Reaction Score
Heard Mora on the drive home when he was asked what Rosa had done to earn the starting job. He says well he di#nt do anything. The 3 guys ahead of him got hurt. Then went on to praise the next man up attitude. I like Rosa but he sometimes just needs to put his shoulder down and run, never mind the dancing queen routine. On the 25 yard run the UMass d back was coming. Instead of just plowing over the guy he came to a dead stop, danced around and got tackled. He does that stuff too often. I’d he learns to stop the dancing with the stars stuff he will be exceptional.

Reaction Score
I want to see him catching the ball in space. He’s an Edelman or Welker type player. He has a ton of strength and adequate speed to turn 5 yard passes into 15 yard gains all day.
We don’t really run any plays that put Rosa in that position though. Hopefully we continue to expand our offensive playbook as Zion gets more experienced. Charlton probably had to cut the playbook in half the second that Roberson got hurt

Reaction Score
Heard Mora on the drive home when he was asked what Rosa had done to earn the starting job. He says well he di#nt do anything. The 3 guys ahead of him got hurt. Then went on to praise the next man up attitude. I like Rosa but he sometimes just needs to put his shoulder down and run, never mind the dancing queen routine. On the 25 yard run the UMass d back was coming. Instead of just plowing over the guy he came to a dead stop, danced around and got tackled. He does that stuff too often. I’d he learns to stop the dancing with the stars stuff he will be exceptional.
I thought he improved this week, consciously turning up field much more effectively, though he still had his share of westbound jukin.

Reaction Score
My memory of Torkelson was the Rutgers game with J.J. Jennings. The Rutties fans were predicting that Jennings would rush for over 200 yards & that Snookie would win in a rout. UConn was ahead late in the game, & UConn drove the field with Eric getting 5 yards at a clip. UConn Wins. Torkelson outduels Jennings in rushing yardage 164 to 100. Tork is drafted by the Packers & has a long career, Jennings to the WFL & oblivion.
Mine was the Yale game. By the fourth quarter UConn linemen were telling the Yale d “ he’s coming again” and they couldn’t stop him. But I also remember the year before a game at UNH. He was a backup but was in to return a UNH kickoff. Had a great run back then carried about five times in a row to set up the winning score. I was up there for a xc meet and we stuck around for the game.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Was thinking about this and I agree with your assessment. Sometimes VR would do better to put his head down and head north. I will also say that his running style looks, well,...nuts. A lot of head fakes and jukes. It frustated me for most of the season. Sometimes its too much, but on Fri. I realized that VR seems to intuitively use that crazy style in combination with his strength and balance to shed blocks and make himself hard to bring down (as others have observed). Really fun to watch him run- probably frazzling for defenders- a little tweaking of his game and few more pounds and he'll be big challenge for DCs to deal with. Gonna be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Things just not looking good for Brian Brewton. I just don't see him fitting in too well anymore especially with Rosa stepping up.
Brewton beat out both Houston and Rosa for playing time when they were all healthy, and was very effective before getting hurt. No reason to assume he’s not going to be competing with them for who gets touches after Carter.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Was that the Greg Sinay fg. 9-7 game?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Or just a little farther, to Vince Clements, aka The Connecticut Comet.
I go back further than that. I was a Junior when UConn beat Yale for the first time. The coaching staff was notable because 3 of them became NFL head coaches. Rick Forzano was our head coach, and later i think Lions HC. Sam Rutigliano was an assistant became Browns (i think) HC and Lou Holtz was an assistant with the most notable pro, college and TV career of all, and of course fathering Skip. Lou once said of his UConn days that he coached in Storrs, that used to be known as Storr until they built another one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’ll take a look at that again, but in my recollection he stutter stepped freezing the defender and picked up another three or four more yards. I’m not sure I can find fault with that. Plowing over defenders is easier said than done.

That said, there are times that he makes mistakes. Wouldn’t you expect that from a freshman? But it seems to me like virtually every time those mistakes are born out of aggression. I like his mindset.

Reaction Score
Brewton beat out both Houston and Rosa for playing time when they were all healthy, and was very effective before getting hurt. No reason to assume he’s not going to be competing with them for who gets touches after Carter.
Effective in terms of what exactly? Comparing stats and I don’t think effective is the term here. I’d like to see Brewton in the slot with Turner, would be an absolute defense nightmare.

Reaction Score
Effective in terms of what exactly? Comparing stats and I don’t think effective is the term here. I’d like to see Brewton in the slot with Turner, would be an absolute defense nightmare.
I’m confused. Look at his yards per carry. H was supposed to be Carter’s backup at TB and and get some carries from the slot, same as Houston was supposed to do. But Brewton is actually bigger and should be more able to handle a larger number of carries in a game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
and this is how it's done

+12 YD
1st & 12 UMASS 12
(6:59 - 4th) V.Rosa rushed to UMASS End Zone for 12 yards. V.Rosa for 12 yards TOUCHDOWN.
PENALTY
1st & Goal UMASS 7
(7:12 - 4th) PENALTY on UCONN-N.Ofori-Nyadu False Start 5 yards accepted. No Play.
+26 YD
1st & 10 UMASS 33
(8:00 - 4th) V.Rosa rushed to UMASS 7 for 26 yards. Pushed out of bounds by T.Powell at UMASS 7.
+7 YD
2nd & 5 UMASS 40
(8:32 - 4th) V.Rosa rushed to UMASS 33 for 7 yards. Tackled by T.Rudolph H.Klages at UMASS 33.
+5 YD
1st & 10 UMASS 45
(9:10 - 4th) V.Rosa rushed to UMASS 40 for 5 yards. Tackled by T.Rudolph B.Wooden at UMASS 40.

That drive reminded me of the Redskins in the 80's with Riggins and the hogs. Riggins is obviously a much bigger back than Rosa is but when that drive started TV showed a graphic and I think it was 13 carries and 42 yards. Nothing worth getting excited over. Then 5 yards, 10 yards......and all of a sudden he finishes the game with 17 carries, 87 yards, 2 TD's and 5.1 YPC.
Seemed like Riggins would do that a bunch where he'd have 65-70 yards on 20 carries at the end of 3rd qtr and them mash up the fourth and finish with 100+ yards and a TD.

Reaction Score
I definitely want to see more of Rosa, Brewton and Turner catching passes. I feel Iike we can have an extremely formidable passing attack if we use all of our weapons next season. With all of our guys back we will have some very significant offensive talent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom