Victor Rosa, Baller | The Boneyard

Victor Rosa, Baller

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Even if VR is not a starting back next year its obvious this kid will not be kept off the field. Incredibly exciting to think about the contribution he will make in his career. Tough, motivated, baller.

Reaction Score
For those who go back a ways, reminds me so much of Eric Torkelson. Great balance after a hit.
Torkelson was like 6-3 and ran with incredible forward lean. He had no jump cut. Almost everything was up the middle. But if you're old enough to remember him, you're in pretty good shape for just remmebering.

Reaction Score
Torkelson was like 6-3 and ran with incredible forward lean. He had no jump cut. Almost everything was up the middle. But if you're old enough to remember him, you're in pretty good shape for just remmebering.
Shoot, I can remember seeing Vinny Clements in HS and from the hill at memorial. A couple of NFL backs.

Reaction Score
and this is how it's done

+12 YD
1st & 12 UMASS 12
(6:59 - 4th) V.Rosa rushed to UMASS End Zone for 12 yards. V.Rosa for 12 yards TOUCHDOWN.
PENALTY
1st & Goal UMASS 7
(7:12 - 4th) PENALTY on UCONN-N.Ofori-Nyadu False Start 5 yards accepted. No Play.
+26 YD
1st & 10 UMASS 33
(8:00 - 4th) V.Rosa rushed to UMASS 7 for 26 yards. Pushed out of bounds by T.Powell at UMASS 7.
+7 YD
2nd & 5 UMASS 40
(8:32 - 4th) V.Rosa rushed to UMASS 33 for 7 yards. Tackled by T.Rudolph H.Klages at UMASS 33.
+5 YD
1st & 10 UMASS 45
(9:10 - 4th) V.Rosa rushed to UMASS 40 for 5 yards. Tackled by T.Rudolph B.Wooden at UMASS 40.

Reaction Score
I think people forget. Rosa was a QB in high school, not a RB. He is still learning the position. Plus, he is a true freshman. As he learns the position and grows and gets stronger, he should be a really good RB.

Reaction Score
I think people forget. Rosa was a QB in high school, not a RB. He is still learning the position. Plus, he is a true freshman. As he learns the position and grows and gets stronger, he should be a really good RB.
Holmes is 2nd all time in rushing yards at Bristol Central. Also all-state at the 200 meter dash. The kid is a running back. I agree, he will get stronger and more powerful and very dangerous.

Reaction Score
For those who go back a ways, reminds me so much of Eric Torkelson. Great balance after a hit.
Sorry, can't resist. Yes, Good man,Tork. And yes regarding keeping his balance, a piledriver. ("Officially" was 6'2" 195) lean, a pile driver. So, beating UMass tonight..., only about 49 years ago today, '73 Homecoming vs. UMass, Tork ran for 109 Yds. on 31 carries, our obvious workhorse, extremely durable, beating UMass, 28-6.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What day is it today?

Torkelson was tall. But the similarity is the ability to stay up after the first hit. Rosa is hard to take down.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Victor is a beast and a huge part of why this team has been so fun to watch. If we're being honest though, he's gotta stop the shimmy shake shoulder move sometimes and just hit the hole. Not knocking the young man at all. Donovan Clingan was actually walking the stadium tonight and I yelled at him that he's got big shoes to fill if he wants to keep up with Victor. Kid's gonna leave his mark here for sure.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Reminds me a ton of Tyler Varga from Yale a few years ago - absolute bully when running the ball, but also elusive & capable of the “home run” play.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm old enough to remember another UConn adjacent Torkelson:

Yeak but he spelled it THorkelson. His father was a UConn dean. Peter dropped the H from Tork. He was just Monkeeing around.

Many years after the Monkees ended Micky Dolenz was sitting at a table next to us at a NYC restaurant. He was the only one of the group who was fairly well known ahead of time an actor from starring on TV as a kid on Circus Boy. He wax not known as a top notch running back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know this is the Rosa thread and he deserves it, but isn't it amazing how Burns hardly sniffed the field under the previous regime. Made its just the injuries have forced it, but jeez, he's good too! Hits the hole, cuts and runs hard.

Reaction Score
Rosa has made great contributions to our team this year. He has stabilized our punt returning and our kickoff returning teams after Marion, Brewton and Houston went down. We had a couple of shaky weeks when Mora tried Dajon Harrison as our punt returner. As our only healthy halfback, Rosa has been productive and has played every down that the coaches have allowed to play despite being undersized as a every down running back. He is a really tough kid. With the injuries that we have had this year, I 'm not sure we would have 5 wins at this point in the season if we didn't have Victor on our roster.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I know this is the Rosa thread and he deserves it, but isn't it amazing how Burns hardly sniffed the field under the previous regime. Made its just the injuries have forced it, but jeez, he's good too! Hits the hole, cuts and runs hard.
Running back is not a problem. We are blessed with a lot of solid talent at RB.

Reaction Score
Even if VR is not a starting back next year its obvious this kid will not be kept off the field. Incredibly exciting to think about the contribution he will make in his career. Tough, motivated, baller.
Great post.

I'll 100% admit to this: prior to this season, I wasn't expecting more than a few trick plays and/or increased snaps for Rosa once the team was somewhere between 2-8 or 3-7 by this point of the year.

Instead, the Huskies are vastly exceeding expectations, in a real chance to play in a bowl game and Victor Rosa is our legit starting RB who has totally has taken advantage of a "next man up" opportunity. At his size and willingness to gain yards inside, I'm feeling shades of Lyle McCombs.

At the very least next season, (assuming all will stay) Rosa will be part of a very exciting three-man committee of Carter/Rosa/Houston.

@8893, you feeling some Earth (Burns), Wind (Rosa) & Fire (Houston) vibes circa 2008 Giants?

Is this just real life...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom