Very Content With Progress | The Boneyard

Very Content With Progress

Reaction Score
I can't be the only one who's content with the progress of the team and the program.

I see all the issues everyone has brought up. I'm still happy to be competing against tournament caliber teams. Two maybe three years ago that wasn't happening. You could even make a pretty solid argument that we seriously struggled against any legit tournament team last year.

Lots of things to work on, but we got a pretty good picture of who we are in the past 2 games. Are we a national contender? Probably not, but that's cool. Baby steps. Are we a team that can get a win, maybe 2 in the ncaa tournament? I think so. Auburn and Michigan State looked pretty good and we hung just fine against both of them.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Looking forward to watching the squad iron out the wrinkles.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They are a very good squad and will get better. It’s a long season. But, there is a Hurley game mismanagement and close-out problem that needs to be solved for. I don’t know if it his frenetic style that just gets the kids too unsettled at close- out or what but it is definitely a pattern.

Reaction Score
They are a very good squad and will get better. It’s a long season. But, there is a Hurley game mismanagement and close-out problem that needs to be solved for. I don’t know if it his frenetic style that just gets the kids too unsettled at close- out or what but it is definitely a pattern.
I just see a team without an elite scorer other than Sanogo. Lots of good players. But not a team laden with elite guys. Because of that we struggle when a good defensive squad clamps down. Which is cool. It's just where we are as a program.

Reaction Score
If we made forward progress against MSU, we win . That means improving on our Auburn victory.

Progress went backwards or was stagnated (for you positive thinkers) on Thursday. Cant be 'very' content with that.

Reaction Score
If we made forward progress against MSU, we win . That means improving on our Auburn victory.

Progress went backwards or was stagnated (for you positive thinkers) on Thursday. Cant be 'very' content with that.
Your expectations are not realistic. Never seen team growth or program growth behave so linearly.

Reaction Score

Not apples to apples. We didn't have Whaley for MSU. If we didn't have him for Auburn we wouldn't have won that game either.

Reaction Score

Yes agree with this take Kita. Both games we had leads we couldn’t hold on to, games that should have both been won in regulation. Reality is despite blowing the lead against Auburn they found a way to win. Next game to me if you are growing you don’t lose a 5 point lead with a couple minutes left in the game.

Today is huge already!

Reaction Score
Not apples to apples. We didn't have Whaley for MSU. If we didn't have him for Auburn we wouldn't have won that game either.

Didn’t have Whaley but we did have the lead again. Polley saved us game 1, coach needed to find a way yesterday.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing that has been obvious from the beginning is that with our depth, size, athleticism and array of skill sets, if things develop correctly (younger players improving on shortcomings, added poise/confidence in critical spots, increased shot making consistency) we can go very far this spring.

Sometimes the pain of a loss makes it easier to take necessary steps forward.

It is a long season and our performance in March is where this team will be measured. If the loss to MSU stings for a while it may benefit us more than a win would have.

Reaction Score
Winning today's game will be huge for team morale/confidence.VCU plays 94 ft of BB. Let's use our depth. Will be another great test of our ability to break the press.

Every team in the tournament is tired with the short turnaround between games. Can't use that as an excuse.

We'll learn about our team's resiliency today. Expecting a hard-fought W. Gut-check time

Reaction Score
We already proved that we are a legit top 20 team and it's only November. UConn teams always get better as the year goes on. Other team plateau in November/December. I still think we win the Big East this year

Reaction Score
Your expectations are not realistic. Never seen team growth or program growth behave so linearly.
I was really directing my response to the words 'very content'. Petty perhaps, but I would have been fine with just being content.

We lost to an unranked team, I'm content that we fought back, played to the end without Whaley, and had the lead under 2 minutes.

Similar situation to Auburn where we couldn't protect our lead occurred yesterday. That's why I said backwards progress.

But that's just me.

Reaction Score
I was really directing my response to the words 'very content'. Petty perhaps, but I would have been fine with just being content.

We lost to an unranked team, I'm content that we fought back, played to the end without Whaley, and had the lead under 2 minutes.

Similar situation to Auburn where we couldn't protect our lead occurred yesterday. That's why I said backwards progress.

But that's just me.
Michigan st won’t be unranked come monday

Reaction Score
Michigan st won’t be unranked come monday
Agree.. Even the press that follows MSU has said it was an important victory for their resume on Selection Sunday and this win should "hold up" .

Izzo teams historically peak in March.. Not Nov.

Reaction Score

But that's just me.
For the record, I'm doing a similar comparison. I'm just comparing the Auburn and Mich St games to the Creighton and Maryland games last year. All the teams involved are likely to be first weekend ncaa tournament teams. We were uncompetitive in those two games last year. Went 1-1 this year. Was very close to going 2-0. So I see progress when I zoom out a bit.

Reaction Score
Hawkins
I don’t see Sanogo as an elite scorer. He has no left hand. He doesn’t pass well or enough out of the post. He is still terrific though and will continue to get better. Personally, I would rather he not be our option one on offense. Completely agree that Hawkins is the guy, no one on this team has his offensive prowess in my opinion. I see his defensive “shortcomings” as compared to the beasts we have on that end but IMHO he needs to be getting 30 mins each game. Yes, it means fewer mins for Tyrese and Gaff but we need the guy that can break down his defender and get a shot besides RJ.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our most elite talent is not our most seasoned talent. We just need to keep playing team ball. And Sanogo needs to use the glass more.

Reaction Score
I don’t see Sanogo as an elite scorer. He has no left hand. He doesn’t pass well or enough out of the post. He is still terrific though and will continue to get better. Personally, I would rather he not be our option one on offense. Completely agree that Hawkins is the guy, no one on this team has his offensive prowess in my opinion. I see his defensive “shortcomings” as compared to the beasts we have on that end but IMHO he needs to be getting 30 mins each game. Yes, it means fewer mins for Tyrese and Gaff but we need the guy that can break down his defender and get a shot besides RJ.
The fanbase always does this with any new/young player that shows promise. Run everything through the new guy. He's the savior. I've done it myself. It's classic "grass is greener on the other side" and/or "shiny new toy" mentality.

Last year we did it to AJ. Some wanted AJ to be pg.

Reaction Score
Our most elite talent is not our most seasoned talent. We just need to keep playing team ball. And Sanogo needs to use the glass more.
I understand and
The fanbase always does this with any new/young player that shows promise. Run everything through the new guy. He's the savior. I've done it myself. It's classic "grass is greener on the other side" and/or "shiny new toy" mentality.
Tell you what, get Danny to give him 30 mins per game over the next three and let’s see how much better we look?If you are happy with out half court offense then I am envious because you are probably a lot less frustrated than I am when watching this team play.

Reaction Score
I understand and

Tell you what, get Danny to give him 30 mins per game over the next three and let’s see how much better we look?If you are happy with out half court offense then I am envious because you are probably a lot less frustrated than I am when watching this team play.
Fans are almost always unhappy with their squads half court offense. You just need to accept it's not going to be pretty much of the time.

Not sure what to say about giving Hawkins 30 minutes a game for three years. It's unlikely to happen this year. Next year seems completely possible.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I disagree about the left hand. He has excellent skills shooting with either hand in close to the rim and footwork to position himself for either hand. That makes him such a threat that there will only one way for most teams to play him: double or triple team him. He surely could improve by developing a passing ability, especially if he is double or triple teamed but right now I am very impressed at his development for the beginning of his sophomore season. A poster elsewhere in this thread made a comment which I also agree with: for him to use the glass more when possible.

Reaction Score
Fans are almost always unhappy with their squads half court offense. You just need to accept it's not going to be pretty much of the time.

Not sure what to say about giving Hawkins 30 minutes a game for three years. It's unlikely to happen this year. Next year seems completely possible.
No I meant three games. Sure we do nitpick and probably never fully satisfied but I feel (and I think many on here do too) that this team could have a special season. Getting better in the half court offensively would really help!

Reaction Score
I disagree about the left hand. He has excellent skills shooting with either hand in close to the rim and footwork to position himself for either hand. That makes him such a threat that there will only one way for most teams to play him: double or triple team him. He surely could improve by developing a passing ability, especially if he is double or triple teamed but right now I am very impressed at his development for the beginning of his sophomore season. A poster elsewhere in this thread made a comment which I also agree with: for him to use the glass more when possible.
I respectfully disagree on his left hand. I also think he could get better position closer to the basket before starting his moves and yes he should use the glass more. I am absolutely not saying in any way that this kid isn’t really talented. He absolutely is! You can certainly disagree with me and might be right to do so but I just feel like the half court offense shouldn’t be run through him as option one. It certainly looks like Danny agrees with you and hey, he is the professional not me but I would really like to see what 30+ minutes of Hawkins looks like?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom