VCU UConn thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

VCU UConn thoughts

Reaction Score
The good: we won,Whaley, Jackson’s rebounding, Cole making a few shots I guess

The bad: carelessness with the ball, worst press breaker ever, most predictable offense imaginable, gaffney playing like a freshman, bad in game coaching again.

Listen, we all love Hurley. He gets the team to play so hard and stick together. He recruits his ass off. But we have a lot of weapons. We shouldn’t have so much trouble scoring. VCU didn’t have one guy I would take in our rotation. And we still needed Whaley to bang three 3’s to beat them.

We have a lot of talent, a lot of experience. Not every piece fits perfectly and some of our players have glaring weaknesses but it shouldn’t matter that much. We should be a top 15 team. That should have been a 15 point victory. Hopefully the players and coaches all got hammered last night and that can explain most of it.

Reaction Score
We have a lot of work to do. But all the issues are fixable with game film study, practice, and improved execution.

Under Hurley, our teams have generally gotten better and better as the season has progressed. I’m still confident we are gonna be a top 10-15 team as we head into the last 1/4 of the season.

Thank god for RJ and Zay, BTW. Was great to see both of them shooting the 3 with confidence. Raises the ceiling on our season.

Reaction Score
The good: we won,Whaley, Jackson’s rebounding, Cole making a few shots I guess

The bad: carelessness with the ball, worst press breaker ever, most predictable offense imaginable, gaffney playing like a freshman, bad in game coaching again.

Listen, we all love Hurley. He gets the team to play so hard and stick together. He recruits his ass off. But we have a lot of weapons. We shouldn’t have so much trouble scoring. VCU didn’t have one guy I would take in our rotation. And we still needed Whaley to bang three 3’s to beat them.

We have a lot of talent, a lot of experience. Not every piece fits perfectly and some of our players have glaring weaknesses but it shouldn’t matter that much. We should be a top 15 team. That should have been a 15 point victory. Hopefully the players and coaches all got hammered last night and that can explain most of it.
We probably will be very close to top 15 on Monday. We’re moving up in the rankings. But agreed we have a lot to work on. They’re easy things to fix though

Reaction Score
We probably will be very close to top 15 on Monday. We’re moving up in the rankings. But agreed we have a lot to work on. They’re easy things to fix though
That would surprise me, I'd expect to see us drop a few spots but probably stay in at 24 or 25

Reaction Score
We beat a top 20 team in the CBB game of the year to date. We aren’t dropping
I guess it depends how voters view beating Auburn versus losing to an unranked Michigan State team. We know Michigan State is good but half of the voters don't look any further than loss to a team with no number next to their name

Reaction Score
My keys to the game were offensive rebound, force turnovers and fast break points:

O boards: 19 for 17 second chance points. We had 14 for 18 vs Auburn and 12 for 15 vs MSU. Lack of second chance points looms large but did enough work on the glass.

Turnovers: 14 for 18 points. Same as Auburn game and MSU was 12/12. Good but not great vs a team that was 346/358 in turnover % coming into today.

Fast break points: 8. 18 and 15 the other two games. Unacceptable. Let VCU dictate pace.

Reaction Score
I guess it depends how voters view beating Auburn versus losing to an unranked Michigan State team. We know Michigan State is good but half of the voters don't look any further than loss to a team with no number next to their name
Without the guy arguably responsible for today’s win as well. CBSSports moved us up 5 spots today. The perception around the country is we proved something in the Bahamas. I’d be shocked if we moved down

Reaction Score
Top 5 kenpom sorted by defense

1637965011858.png

Reaction Score
Severe overreaction. VCU was a bad draw for a team who had the toughest draw in Atlantis and was playing there 3rd game in 3 days one being a double overtime dog fight. Our guys were physically and mentally exhausted. Sloppy play, tired legs, and poor decisions. But we aren’t mediocre

That's the thing. This team can be terrific and terrible in the same game. The number of mistakes at crunch time is mind boggling. I really think we need a second ballhandler to help Cole. Diggins needs minutes asap.

Reaction Score
Without the guy arguably responsible for today’s win as well. CBSSports moved us up 5 spots today. The perception around the country is we proved something in the Bahamas. I’d be shocked if we moved down
Yes but you're missing my point, voters don't care about missing players because they don't even take the time to look at stuff like that. I hope you're right and enough care about missing Whaley.

Where do you see CBS moving us up? I see us at 15 which is where we were after beating Auburn (and 16 before that)

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The reason we look out of sync against pressure is we are 1 ballhandler away from getting people in the right spots. Martin can't start 20 feet from the basket. Jackson still can't shoot but now teams can slump off him and play him for the pass. Hawkins doesn't have a good enough handle and Gaffney is NOT a PG.

To me, if Diggins can emerge as a ball handler to lighten the load off Cole AND be another ball handler to penetrate and dish, now the pieces fit right. I think back to the Calhoun years of 2 point guards and how difficult we were to play.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If it hasn’t been said anywhere, huge props to the whole @RJScootin family again for their energy at the game today.

My daughter and I were among the few in the midcourt UConn fan section who stood for the whole game. He and his boy tried to urge people on the whole game, definitely dodging security much of the time. These guys left it all on the court there.

Reaction Score
Yes but you're missing my point, voters don't care about missing players because they don't even take the time to look at stuff like that. I hope you're right and enough care about missing Whaley.

Where do you see CBS moving us up? I see us at 15 which is where we were after beating Auburn (and 16 before that)
Normally I’d agree. But that was a nationally relevant and recognized game. It’s going to give a more of a boost than you are thinking.

Side note: that’s what I was referring to. I thought they moved us up to 15 from 20. That’s my mistake

Reaction Score
Cole is by far the most important player on this team, don't even want to think of what happens to them if he can't play but it can't continue like this. We've seen for three years now what Gaffney brings and it isn't good enough. He'll give us some open threes and an occasional drive but he doesn't help at all at point guard. Diggins needs minutes going forward.
Not saying we should burn his redshirt year now, but only asking a question.

Is Corey Floyd a point guard who can handle the ball and pass? If Cole does not come back next year for a fifth year, and Floyd does not have PG skills, aren't we relying on hope that Diggins can take over? Gaffney doesn't seem to be an answer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hurley said we played “mostly horrible”. We still won. I don’t think the sky is falling. We are too reliant on creating off the dribble and on bringing the ball up via the dribble. We just don’t move well enough without the ball to be a good passing team. Too many guys standing around waiting for whoever has the ball to do something. Doesn’t matter of it is Cole, Sanogo or somebody else, the whole team watches them.

Hawkins showed some life running off the ball early, then he stopped and stood like a garden gnome same as the others. I want 3 guys moving at all times with only Sanogo camping near the rim. Never liked Hurley’s offense at URI and I still don’t.

These were good learning experiences if we can learn. There is plenty of talent and I still remain optimistic. Gaff needs to hit from outside or he isn’t mulch help. Same with Polley. Akok should be in more and we need to look for him in the post. He isn’t a 5, he is a good complement to Sanogo who can score off lobs. Hurley playing 4 out with a team that doesn’t shoot is going to mean we have no offense but dribble penetration. That’s a losing formula most games.

Reaction Score
Not saying we should burn his redshirt year now, but only asking a question.

Is Corey Floyd a point guard who can handle the ball and pass? If Cole does not come back next year for a fifth year, and Floyd does not have PG skills, aren't we relying on hope that Diggins can take over? Gaffney doesn't seem to be an answer.
Floyd is a big guard who's gonna play the 2/3, not a PG. If Cole isn't back I don't expect us to go into next year with only Gaffney and Diggins, I assume we'd be adding a transfer PG

Reaction Score
No team scored more than us against VCU this season. They’re elite defensively
Well we only had 56 at the end of regulation, which is 2 less than Wagner, but 1 more than Syracuse lol (and obviously have to factor in pace).

Reaction Score
From some of the post game quotes Ive read from the guys, It seems like they were down about yesterday’s loss, and upset they were not playing Baylor for the Championship. Maybe today was more the product of a let down, especially after the way the last 2 games went, and losing like they did vs MSU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom