VCU UConn thoughts | Page 5 | The Boneyard

VCU UConn thoughts

Reaction Score
Pretty sure I’m seeing an uglier game so far..

memphis/iowa state

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gaff has played his best when he plays alongside Cole.
Against cupcakes team went on their best runs with Cole, Gaff and Polley. Gaff and Cole played well today together in OT.

Problem is Gaff is supposed to be relieving Cole and giving Cole a rest and Gaff has been horrible at that.

Reaction Score
Yesterday I thought we were a good team that had a bad game against MSU. Now I'm worried we're a mediocre team that had a good game against Auburn. Way too many mistakes all around. Everyone involved with this team has to do better.
A little perspective- we played 2 of the top 5 defenses in the country back to back. They make every team look mediocre and force a lot of turnovers and mistakes. This is a good team that should be in every game and will find ways to win most of them.

Reaction Score
He also had a bunch of boneheaded turnovers and was a matador on defense (again). We may have been up enough without him to have not needed him in the end.

Reaction Score
People need to relax. We played 3 games in 48 hours and the first game went to double overtime. We were undermanned yesterday and gassed today. Under normal circumstances and rest we beat Mich State and destroy VCU. The scheduling of this tournament made no sense and UConn was probably impacted more than anyone. It will be ok. We played as bad as we could today and still won. We are a good team.
Undermanned?? Auburn was missing one of their best players and VCU was missing two. That narrative doesn’t hold up.

Reaction Score
He also had a bunch of boneheaded turnovers and was a matador on defense (again). We may have been up enough without him to have not needed him in the end.
Are you saying Jackson was bad on defense?

Reaction Score
Cole and Whaley saved us. Hurley has so much to work on. Too many things to list. Hurley needs to give the freshmen minutes going forward. They're not deep right now and they're really not deep in the backcourt. Too much burden is being placed on Cole, it simply can't continue like this. Diggins needs minutes.

Ugly as hell but still went 2-1. Never want UConn in this event again, never want to see the Bahamas again, and most of all never want to see these refs again. When refs are that inept I start to question if they're dirty.
Having been here all 3 times we were here I like this tournament. Would like to win it though. All good teams. No idea what your talking about.

Reaction Score
it’s not popular to give the other team any credit here
We give our opponents credit all the time. It's a yearly theme early. Remember St. Joseph's 2 years ago. We said the same thing about them, strong program, they played hard, etc. They went on to win 5 more games.

Not saying VCU is going to be dreadful like that. But any team that struggles this much is not going to be in the top 1/4 of the A-10 never mind the entire nation.

It's really OK to say an opponent is not nearly as good as others believe. It's just a matter of disagreement.

Reaction Score
Undermanned?? Auburn was missing one of their best players and VCU was missing two. That narrative doesn’t hold up.
I said undermanned for the Michigan Staye game. What don’t you get?

Reaction Score
Vcu while not a good team is a tough team to play on your third game in three days. That perspective I think is important and is something @upstater is completely ignoring looking at it only through the lense of who beat them prior.
Sad to see polley come out strong in game one and then pull his disappearing act the last two days. At this point I guess that won’t change we will see a few great performances but not something we can count on.
My other concern is Jackson on offense. while today was slightly better the kid basically refuses to look for his own offense to a fault. He will never take that next step as a player until making a basket isn’t just an afterthought in his game.

Reaction Score
it wasn't a perfect game, but if we played like we did against Auburn the other 2 days we wouldn't be having these conversations. But yeah, not being able to hold onto leads is really worrisome.
You mean if we shot 3’s like we did against Auburn the other 2 days we wouldn’t be having these conversations, because honestly we pretty much played the same all 3 games.

We‘re just not offensively talented, I’m not sure why it’s hard for people to grasp that. It’s the same group of players who scored 50/60 ppg against tournament teams last year with Bouknight on the roster.

Personally I think people should be happy with the results of this tournament. We pulled out a once in 5 years performance from 3 against Auburn (literally, the last time we shot that percentage on at least 20 attempts was Jan 2017). That is going to be an amazing win come March.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Lol that wasn’t the CBB game of the year.

Jesus
To date? Two top twenty teams battling in a fast paced double overtime game, both coming back from large deficits? Sure felt like it, but what else you got?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
To date? Two top twenty teams battling in a fast paced double overtime game, both coming back from large deficits? Sure felt like it, but what else you got?
Jesus, apparently.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It wasn’t sponsored by Arby’s apparently.

Reaction Score
I haven't read through all of the threads, but one thing I haven't noticed anyone posted yet:

UConn's 70 points is the most scored against VCU this season.

I get it, it was an overtime game, and yes, they scored 14 points in overtime, but, UConn scored 44 points in the last 25 minutes of the game, which is pretty darn good against the 4th best defense in the country.

Reaction Score
You mean if we shot 3’s like we did against Auburn the other 2 days we wouldn’t be having these conversations, because honestly we pretty much played the same all 3 games.

We‘re just not offensively talented, I’m not sure why it’s hard for people to grasp that. It’s the same group of players who scored 50/60 ppg against tournament teams last year with Bouknight on the roster.

Personally I think people should be happy with the results of this tournament. We pulled out a once in 5 years performance from 3 against Auburn (literally, the last time we shot that percentage on at least 20 attempts was Jan 2017). That is going to be an amazing win come March.

This board is nuts. Good lord imagine what the posts would look like if this team was as bad as some of you are making it seem.

Reaction Score
I haven't read through all of the threads, but one thing I haven't noticed anyone posted yet:

UConn's 70 points is the most scored against VCU this season.

I get it, it was an overtime game, and yes, they scored 14 points in overtime, but, UConn scored 44 points in the last 25 minutes of the game, which is pretty darn good against the 4th best defense in the country.
14 points in 5 minutes is on pace for 102 points over the course of a whole game. Not bad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom