Valdir Manuel Article | The Boneyard

Valdir Manuel Article

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score

"Meantime, onetime St. John’s commit Valdir Manuel of Harcum (PA) College said Thursday he will return to Harcum for his sophomore season to become fully qualified. He plans to take more official visits in the fall."

Thoughts on this? Is the staff still recruiting Manuel?

Reaction Score
Not good if they don’t get a player like Vladir and lost an impact guy like Ntambwe because they couldn’t react timely.

I mean not their fault he couldn’t grade up but potentially coming up empty isn’t good. Hopefully this news is inaccurate?

pj

Reaction Score
I guess this would explain why they can give Diarra plenty of time to decide. If Manuel can't come on June 3rd because he needs summer classes at Harcum, there was no need to rush the Diarra situation.

Harcum has two summer sessions, session 1 is May 13 - June 28 and session 2 is July 1 - Aug 16 (https://www.harcum.edu/s/1044/image...mics/calendars/summer_2019_calendar_1_vs2.pdf). So if Manuel is coming here, possible start dates would be in either July or late August.

Reaction Score
I am confused by this. So we are not trying to get him for 2019-2020?

Reaction Score
The more I think about Whaley might just flower if he is given a specific job.
He is pretty comparable to Yakwe in basic skills but lacks experience.
The kid is not big but has similar size and Athleticism to Yakwe.
If he could be an energetic backup rim protector who could rebound and get the occasional put back who knows it just might work out.
Teams are like a jigsaw puzzle
You need to find the pieces that fit to solve it.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I don’t believe this story is accurate, or it’s just poorly worded. My understanding is that he’s taking summer courses to get his grades up so that he’s academically eligible to play for the 2019 season and that we’re still involved.

Reaction Score
Not trying to infringe on Chief's exalted position, but I have it from an unimpeachable source that the coaching staff believes we will need a player to fill a roster spot if one becomes available.

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean i'm kind of a 'don't blow a scholarship on anyone you don't REALLY think can be a difference maker for you heading forward,' and i'm also a real skeptic as to how good we'll be next year...

But structurally they need to get another Center. This isn't good any way you try to slice it.

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean i'm kind of a 'don't blow a scholarship on anyone you don't REALLY think can be a difference maker for you heading forward,' and i'm also a real skeptic as to how good we'll be next year...

But structurally they need to get another Center. This isn't good any way you try to slice it.
Why wouldn't he help us?

He seems like a pretty good player to me, especially on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
Whaley showed he could do a good job when he was given a chance. Saw him last year as a season ticket holder and has to work on his shooting Good coaching will take care of that..He still has 2 years of eligibility and will contribute defensively and rebounding right away. That is what this team needs most.

Reaction Score
Whaley showed he could do a good job when he was given a chance. Saw him last year as a season ticket holder and has to work on his shooting Good coaching will take care of that..He still has 2 years of eligibility and will contribute defensively and rebounding right away. That is what this team needs most.
Whaley is going to to foul out in 5 minutes f he has to be the main backup for us at center. He is too thin to play that position. Good energy guy off the bench for offensive rebounds and a couple block shots. Unless he comes back bigger with some kind of shot I don’t see much more than energy guy off the bench.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whaley is going to to foul out in 5 minutes f he has to be the main backup for us at center. He is too thin to play that position. Good energy guy off the bench for offensive rebounds and a couple block shots. Unless he comes back bigger with some kind of shot I don’t see much more than energy guy off e bench.
Guess we better pray JOsh can average 35 a game then

Reaction Score
Guess we better pray JOsh can average 35 a game then
In 12 out of the last 18 games (66.7%) of the season, Carlton played in 25 or more minutes, and in 8 of those games he played 30+ minutes.

In games where he played 25+ minutes, he averaged:

13.8 points, 9.7 rebounds, 1.8 blocks, 3.3 fouls.

As a sophomore, he showed he can handle big minutes and I expect no different this upcoming year.

Whoever backs up Carlton will need to play no more than 10-15 minutes every game. I'd be more confident if it were someone bigger than Whaley, but I wouldn't have a problem if he ends up being the guy, especially if paired up with Akok to protect the rim.

Reaction Score
In 12 out of the last 18 games (66.7%) of the season, Carlton played in 25 or more minutes, and in 8 of those games he played 30+ minutes.

As a sophomore, he showed he can handle big minutes and I expect no different this upcoming year.

Whoever backs up Carlton will need to play no more than 10-15 minutes every game. I'd be more confident if it were someone bigger than Whaley, but I wouldn't have a problem if he ends up being the guy, especially if paired up with Akok to protect the rim.

The problem was that he struggles against better teams, and cooked bad teams. Hopefully he improves all around, but it's rightfully a cause of concern even if we do find a serviceable back up.

Reaction Score
T

I was actually just joking, but this is a great analysis, thank you!

One thing I do question with those stats though is last years teams pace vs what i’m Expecting to see from this years team. I think Hurley is going to want to run & pressure more based off who all we have on this years team vs last years

Reaction Score
T

One thing I do question with those stats though is last years teams pace vs what i’m Expecting to see from this years team. I think Hurley is going to want to run & pressure more based off who all we have on this years team vs last years
T

Josh is bigger but I expect him to be one of the best conditioned player on the team next year. I think he knows how much he is needed and I believe hes up to the challenge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom