Val Ackerman press conference | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Val Ackerman press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was just responding to the statement that it only kills old people.
I didn't day that...
CDC has been wrong almost as much as the WHO. The virus isn't going anywhere, even in lockdown if you live with a family there's a pretty decent chance you get it. The people who die from the virus overhwhelmingly the old with comorbidities (heart disease, obesity, diabetes) need to be protected better. Things need to start reopening with common sense practices of better hygiene and social distancing.

Reaction Score
Mark my words, students will be back on campus this Fall. We are in the worst area of the country for covid-19, and there is a plan for re-opening colleges that Lamont gave some details on. CT is working in unison with the Northeast states. If the northeast schools have students on campus in September, the whole country will.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Mark my words, students will be back on campus this Fall. We are in the worst area of the country for covid-19, and there is a plan for re-opening colleges that Lamont gave some details on. CT is working in unison with the Northeast states. If the northeast schools have students on campus in September, the whole country will.
Colleges are going to be forever changed. They'll be online or students will decide they don't want to go to college due to "Covid". They also might not go to college due to the expense

Reaction Score
Like an unemployment office besieged by unemployed Americans? Or a hospital over run with patients?

My job is part running the safety net. It sucks.
But at least you have a job.

Most hospitals in the country aren't overrun, most aren't even half full. My Governor spent $65 million on converting McCormick Place into a makeshift hospital only to dismantle it. He had vacant hospitals retrofitted into Covid hospitals and they haven't seen a single patient. Naperville hospital is begging people to come in because they're broke and nobody is coming in for needed care.

Reaction Score
Colleges are going to be forever changed. They'll be online or students will decide they don't want to go to college due to "Covid". They also might not go to college due to the expense
No, colleges won't be online and kids will be back at school. You try and do remote learning and schools will go out of business.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Nothing is forcing anyone who doesn't want to participate in society to leave the house. Stay at home and don't leave...EVER. Don't let anyone into your house. Don't let anyone you live with leave the house either.

FL has opened restaurants...i'm choosing not to go out to eat...but I go to the store and I'm going to play golf now.

I don't know about restaurants or stores, but unless your'e an idiot or extremely unlucky, you're not going to catch it playing golf. Never up, never in...

Reaction Score
People who don't want to go to the games or are at greater risk, shouldn't go to the games. Those of us who want to get back to our lives and these events shouldn't be told we aren't allowed to
lol some of you are such babies.

Reaction Score
On-line education will never permanently replace classroom learning. It's the dynamics of questioning and sharing ideas between peers that makes higher education special and teaches the interpersonal skills needed in the real world. Colleges can charge $50k for on-line classes. Universities are big businesses, and eliminating campus learning would shut them down. No chance.

Reaction Score

>> Ackerman said decisions on fall sports are going to have to be made by the end June or early July, leaving time to readjust schedules for sports that begin in late August. Decisions on winter sports would have to be made around Sept. 1. The conference’s presidents are adamant that campuses must be open for all students before sports resume.

Big East commissioner Val Ackerman says sports will resume when conference campuses are ‘back in business’. “We need to know that our campuses are open,” Ackerman said. “The fate of every sport, including basketball, is going to hinge on whether our campuses are back in business – in person, not virtual. Some schools may have some hybrid there.

We have to have a better sense on what the medical protocols are going to be, and look for some guidance from our doctors and trainers on what they think needs to happen to have sports safely resume. And we need some guidance from the NCAA. If we have less than a full season, what does that mean in terms of our qualifications [for the postseason.]”<<

Reaction Score
Okay, so the government would be taking care of 200 million workers, but not their kids. Thank you for clarifying that. Their parents would be taking care of them using something other than what the government is giving them.
Let me make it easy for u. 200 million ADDITIONAL people. Those that were self supporting before. Simple question. How do u pay for it? With almost no tax revenue. It’s not possible.

Reaction Score
That is a logical question...I don't have the answer. Change rules for unemployment? I would guess that most businesses that are open are not at 100% so maybe ask who wants to come to work? Let those above a certain age or with comorbidities have more options?
If someone has any comorbidities their only options are casket or cremation... Just saying.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
But at least you have a job.

Most hospitals in the country aren't overrun, most aren't even half full. My Governor spent $65 million on converting McCormick Place into a makeshift hospital only to dismantle it. He had vacant hospitals retrofitted into Covid hospitals and they haven't seen a single patient. Naperville hospital is begging people to come in because they're broke and nobody is coming in for needed care.

What is your point?
I have a job. Check. Don't get the connection.
Some places prepared for the worst and they wasted.your money?
Are you saying we prepared well for this?
Are you saying unless every hospital is overrun, then no hospital is overrun?
You think they are doing a good job getting people unemployment?

Reaction Score
If someone has any comorbidities their only options are casket or cremation... Just saying.

Don't forget 'green burial', my personal choice. Wrap the body in a sheet and bury it 3 feet under. Let it rot, providing nutrients to both flora and fauna.

Reaction Score
Opening up the country smartly & sports are really very separate issues.

If a business can operate safely with precautions taken they will open and the public & employees will decide how and when to participate.

The problem with close contact sports like basketball is that it's impossible to physically distance so once pros and colleges start playing again it's inevitable that players will catch the virus until we have a vaccine. Unless every player in let's say the Big East is completely isolated from the rest of the student body how do they not come in contact with Covid 19?

It's impossible that schools will not have cases, it's inevitable. I see college sports in a much more precarious position than pro sports because at least the pro teams can hypothetically isolate from the outside world in certain spots as TV only events. College kids have to be on campus around thousands of other students and basketball / football are very high contact sports.

So unless they decide to accept that college players will be infected and hopefully nobody dies I am not seeing a real path without a vaccine unless the virus just magically goes away. Tell me I'm wrong please.

C

Chief00

If you listened to results coming out, 66% of cases are from those who are staying home. Not those going to work. Those staying home. Also, a social safety net WAS passed. Loans for small business, bailing out industries, and extra unemployment for those out of work. That IS the social safety net supposed to help, which has already passed.
That was stunning when Gov Cuomo “shockingly” acknowledged the study that 66% of cases were people staying at home. In short, the steps CT and NY have taken have unfortunately been counterproductive. Maybe we should have learned from quarantine ships and nursing homes that confined small spaces with poor air flow create a much more concentrated and contagious environment than some guy walking by without a mask on. Almost anything outside is better than anything inside.

Reaction Score
What is your point?
I have a job. Check. Don't get the connection.
Some places prepared for the worst and they wasted.your money?
Are you saying we prepared well for this?
Are you saying unless every hospital is overrun, then no hospital is overrun?
You think they are doing a good job getting people unemployment?
I think I misinterpreted your post I thought you were complaining about your job.while 40 million Americans have lost their job. I think instead you were complaining about the system sucking and yes it totally sucks.

My bad.

Reaction Score
Opening up the country smartly & sports are really very separate issues.

If a business can operate safely with precautions taken they will open and the public & employees will decide how and when to participate.

The problem with close contact sports like basketball is that it's impossible to physically distance so once pros and colleges start playing again it's inevitable that players will catch the virus until we have a vaccine. Unless every player in let's say the Big East is completely isolated from the rest of the student body how do they not come in contact with Covid 19?

It's impossible that schools will not have cases, it's inevitable. I see college sports in a much more precarious position than pro sports because at least the pro teams can hypothetically isolate from the outside world in certain spots as TV only events. College kids have to be on campus around thousands of other students and basketball / football are very high contact sports.

So unless they decide to accept that college players will be infected and hopefully nobody dies I am not seeing a real path without a vaccine unless the virus just magically goes away. Tell me I'm wrong please.
Yes, people will continue to get the virus. There's a decent chance we'll never have a vaccine. Life must go on.

Reaction Score
That was stunning when Gov Cuomo “shockingly” acknowledged the study that 66% of cases were people staying at home. In short, the steps CT and NY have taken have unfortunately been counterproductive. Maybe we should have learned from quarantine ships and nursing homes that confined small spaces with poor air flow create a much more concentrated and contagious environment than some guy walking by without a mask on. Almost anything outside is better than anything inside.

You're lacking the context to make any sort of judgments based on that 66% number. Do you know the % that are sheltering at home? Is it more than 66%? Are people sheltering at home disproportionately more likely to be hospitalized if infected because those that are not are essential employees and almost by default of a more healthy working age?

Are you suggesting people at home sleep outside in tents? People will always be in close contact in the home. Social distancing is not designed to lower the rate of hospitalizations from in-home spread. It is designed to slow the TOTAL rate of transmission by decreasing the vector points of spread.

It has been incontrovertibly successful in that regard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Places will continue to reopen because we cannot wait until cases get to 0 to return to normalcy. Lots of high end reports and studies are coming out now saying the lockdowns and economic effects will cause more harm than the virus itself. Nobody can say for sure, but I think we will be playing a full schedule this season.
There is a lot of real estate between zero cases and what we have now. Harm is a general term right now. I guess it depends on who you are asking and what their situation is. Every person has their own perspective and individual circumstance. Thats what makes this disaster so devastatingly unique. One size does not fit all. Unfortunate and acceptable losses seem like statistics on tv until it hits close to home and yourself or someone you care about is in trouble. I know people people dealing with this as I type this and economic statistics mean jack to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom