Val Ackerman press conference | The Boneyard

Val Ackerman press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So is it safe to say that our guys will not be on campus this summer? That really sucks as we seem to have a great off-season strength program as well as all of the skills work and pick-up.

Akok has been rehabbing on campus, though. He has a special permission to stay or something?

Reaction Score
So is it safe to say that our guys will not be on campus this summer? That really sucks as we seem to have a great off-season strength program as well as all of the skills work and pick-up.

Akok has been rehabbing on campus, though. He has a special permission to stay or something?
I believe that any UConn student can remain on campus so as long as they don’t leave the school. But no there won’t be anyone on campus. Gunna be a big blow for players such a Bouknight, Jackson, Javonte Brown Ferguson. But there will be 100% college basketball. Whether that’s the same schedule, whether that’s in November, remains to be seen

Reaction Score

This is the point I raised in the other thread, and the point most people seem to ignore (whether they're telling everyone to stay home, or everyone to open up shop).

The virus is not impacting every city, state, country the same.

As of last week, Fairfield County alone had 10x the number of COVID related deaths than the entire state of Nebraska.

If I'm at Creighton, I feel a lot more comfortable going to a game than I do if I'm at Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
Schools are looking at a lot of different models right now. one thing is virtually certain is that if schools start on time in lat August, the semester will be over the week before Thanksgiving. No one is coming back a week or two after break. Then things will start up again in late January (hopefully vaccines will be readily available).

Reaction Score
This is the point I raised in the other thread, and the point most people seem to ignore (whether they're telling everyone to stay home, or everyone to open up shop).

The virus is not impacting every city, state, country the same.

As of last week, Fairfield County alone had 10x the number of COVID related deaths than the entire state of Nebraska.

If I'm at Creighton, I feel a lot more comfortable going to a game than I do if I'm at Seton Hall.

If you look at other countries that had the problems the USA did, like Italy, there were a lot of small cities and towns hit hard prior to the lockdown. I expect Nebraska to get hit hard if they don't put the safeguards in place. There are places like South Dakota and Iowa that are not doing very well at all.

Reaction Score
If you look at other countries that had the problems the USA did, like Italy, there were a lot of small cities and towns hit hard prior to the lockdown. I expect Nebraska to get hit hard if they don't put the safeguards in place. There are places like South Dakota and Iowa that are not doing very well at all.

You were saying?

Reaction Score
They might. I 'm not saying they won't. I'm not taking a side or trying to start that debate.

My only point is that states are not taking the same approach, and even if/when they are, we are still seeing different impacts. Due to demographics and population density.

But if you're seeing 90 deaths in Nebraska, vs. 2800 deaths in CT and 8800 deaths in NJ, maybe you tell the league those teams are welcome to send a team to Nebraska, but you're not travelling to CT/NJ.

I'm not saying Nebraska is/will be fine doing whatever they're doing (or not doing) now.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
The writing on the wall, especially if places continue to reopen this month, is that there will not be a season.

I have high hopes that I'm wrong, but it seems incredibly unlikely at this point.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The writing on the wall, especially if places continue to reopen this month, is that there will not be a season.

I have high hopes that I'm wrong, but it seems incredibly unlikely at this point.

So places reopening now dampens your expectations for games in the fall and winter?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
So places reopening now dampens your expectations for games in the fall and winter?
yes. not a single state comes close to meeting CDC reopening guidelines, so opening now means a much more robust second wave, meaning we'll be starting from square one.

what we've done so far has worked! we're throwing away that work by opening now.

Reaction Score

Places will continue to reopen because we cannot wait until cases get to 0 to return to normalcy. Lots of high end reports and studies are coming out now saying the lockdowns and economic effects will cause more harm than the virus itself. Nobody can say for sure, but I think we will be playing a full schedule this season.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
yes. not a single state comes close to meeting CDC reopening guidelines, so opening now means a much more robust second wave, meaning we'll be starting from square one.

what we've done so far has worked! we're throwing away that work by opening now.
Exactly. It's like looking at a patient with lung cancer and taking comfort because they are smoking a cigarette.

Reaction Score
Because we have done nowhere near enough to justify re-opening. Doesn't set us up for success.

Neither does having 33 million people without jobs and unable to pay for food and rent. There are obvious risks with reopening and there are obvious risks with staying locked down. One thing is for sure and we cannot wait for cases to get to 0 or for a vaccine to reopen the economy.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Neither does having 33 million people without jobs and unable to pay for food and rent. There are obvious risks with reopening and there are obvious risks with staying locked down. One thing is for sure and we cannot wait for cases to get to 0 or for a vaccine to reopen the economy.
those 33 million people are going to go right back to unemployed when we have to do this again because we're hasty about reopening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom