Val Ackerman press conference | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Val Ackerman press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
This may be true in the northeast. I'm not so sure it's the case elsewhere.

National polls say: most people think the restrictions are "about right" or " should be stronger"

Reaction Score
Nothing is forcing anyone who doesn't want to participate in society to leave the house. Stay at home and don't leave...EVER. Don't let anyone into your house. Don't let anyone you live with leave the house either.

FL has opened restaurants...i'm choosing not to go out to eat...but I go to the store and I'm going to play golf now.
That's fair, but what do you do when that person who wants to stay open has a job they don't feel safe returning to? Now they're not working and won't qualify for unemployment.

I don't know what the answer is but those are the types of questions you have to consider and figure out how you start to reopen

Reaction Score
I assume not 100% of the population is of working age..uses common sense
I wasn't disagreeing with you.

But...

If the government is now supporting those who used to work. Then nobody is supporting those who aren't of working age (as you put it).

So common sense tells me the government will have to support those people too.

And...

If we're talking about a social safety net, then common sense tells me it applies to 100% of Americans, not just people who are able to work.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks.
I have been in my office except for the time they spent decontaminating it because we had someone with covid19. As you might guess from my handle, I'm old. 65. So is my wife and she has medical conditions that put her further at risk. I did not like the idea that I might kill her by going to work.
It's complicated and we all need to listen. Americans are not very good at that anymore.
I say follow the guidelines. I also realize we can't keep paying people to not work. I see a lot of white collar guys screaming for, basically, blue collar guys to return to risky jobs to save the white collar guys retirement accounts.But there are also non-salaried people with their lives falling apart, that need help.

I sympathize with people like you. I know it’s nerve wrecking to be 65 and living with someone who has medical conditions in this environment. I get it. I’m one of the fortunate ones being white collar (I’m an economist), and able to work from home so I know it’s impossible for me to know what some people are going through. I’m in the camp that believes those who are blue collar shouldn’t have to go to work if they feel it sacrifices their health but that they should be able to if they want to and follow guidelines. Hope you and your wife stay safe.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Even if it didn't suck. I can guarantee it would fail quickly (if only temporarily) if 10X as many applications/calls are coming in then what is normal for an extended period of time

Oh sure. And this drop was fast! But they should be more prepared. We have downturns in the economy on a regular basis. Every time it happens they are, like, "well, we couldn't have seen this coming"

Just uncomplicate the process in an emergency.
And when you see how the small business money was abused. People who hate government do a terrible job of running it

Reaction Score
That's fair, but what do you do when that person who wants to stay open has a job they don't feel safe returning to? Now they're not working and won't qualify for unemployment.

I don't know what the answer is but those are the types of questions you have to consider and figure out how you start to reopen
That is a logical question...I don't have the answer. Change rules for unemployment? I would guess that most businesses that are open are not at 100% so maybe ask who wants to come to work? Let those above a certain age or with comorbidities have more options?

Reaction Score
I wasn't disagreeing with you.

But...

If the government is now supporting those who used to work. Then nobody is supporting those who aren't of working age (as you put it).

So common sense tells me the government will have to support those people too.

And...

If we're talking about a social safety net, then common sense tells me it applies to 100% of Americans, not just people who are able to work.
Those didn't change because of Covid..If you were on Social Security in 2019 you are still on it. I was talking about those that were working and keeping the country afloat.

Reaction Score
However if businesses can comply with social distancing, their employees want to go back to work, and they require compliance from customers, let them work.

Hate to continue to spin this off topic but what do you suggest the consequences are for those businesses that don't?

Reaction Score
That is a logical question...I don't have the answer. Change rules for unemployment? I would guess that most businesses that are open are not at 100% so maybe ask who wants to come to work? Let those above a certain age or with comorbidities have more options?

That is a good question. Maybe allow them the option to be furloughed and cover their healthcare while allowing them to collect unemployment?

Reaction Score
Hate to continue to spin this off topic but what do you suggest the consequences are for those businesses that don't?

Just mentioned that actually. Could you offer them the option to be furloughed while covering their healthcare and still allow them to collect unemployment? Then they can get their job back once they feel safe?

Reaction Score
That is a good question. Maybe allow them the option to be furloughed and cover their healthcare while allowing them to collect unemployment?
Excellent idea...

Reaction Score
Just mentioned that actually. Could you offer them the option to be furloughed while covering their healthcare and still allow them to collect unemployment? Then they can get their job back once they feel safe?

No... I was asking what you thought the consequences should be for individual businesses who don't comply w/ social distancing and ensuring employee/customer compliance w/ such rules. One warning and shut down?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Maybe we can agree that it's serious and it's complicated and we all want healthy, financially secure citizens and not discuss our differences in returning to normal like any of us know the true answer.
Odd approach, I know but worth a try.

Reaction Score
Excellent idea...

That is what almost happened to my dad. They had to furlough 4 out of their team of 10. They are covering all of the healthcare costs for their employees who were furloughed, they can collect unemployment, and are scheduled to return in August.

Reaction Score
That is what almost happened to my dad. They had to furlough 4 out of their team of 10. They are covering all of the healthcare costs for their employees who were furloughed, they can collect unemployment, and are scheduled to return in August.
sounds like he works for a well run company

Reaction Score
No... I was asking what you thought the consequences should be for individual businesses who don't comply w/ social distancing and ensuring employee/customer compliance w/ such rules. One warning and shut down?

Ah, okay. Perhaps 1. warning, 2. fine, 3. shut down?

I think that would allow for strict standards while also not letting a few foolish businesses to ruin it for everyone.

Reaction Score
Places will continue to reopen because we cannot wait until cases get to 0 to return to normalcy. Lots of high end reports and studies are coming out now saying the lockdowns and economic effects will cause more harm than the virus itself. Nobody can say for sure, but I think we will be playing a full schedule this season.
It Is not about cases getting to 0, it’s about being able to manage the cases that pop up. Texas is a free for all right now. They are tracking nothing and opening everything. I know people that have been in restaurants at full capacity, inside, not on the patio. So now you have two distinct groups...people that are comfortable in that environment and those who are not. I know many people in the middle that are saying that they would start to go out if they felt any measures were in place, but there are not so they are staying home. There is no contact tracing and barely quarantine. I know people that tested positive and still were going out. They said they felt ok so didn’t think it was a big deal. Time will tell how it plays out. I am hopeful, but not overly optimistic.

Reaction Score
Those didn't change because of Covid..If you were on Social Security in 2019 you are still on it. I was talking about those that were working and keeping the country afloat.
Okay, so the government would be taking care of 200 million workers, but not their kids. Thank you for clarifying that. Their parents would be taking care of them using something other than what the government is giving them.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
That's an absurd statement, there is absolutely logic for not being locked down indefinitely. I think the logic of opening things back up smartly far outweighs indefinite lockdown. A study found an additional 75,000 people will die from deaths of despair from the lockdowns. Another study found 70,000 cancers with go undetected. Vaccinations for kids have plummeted.

It's incredibly sad for that 30 year old man and his family but he's a huge outlier.
View attachment 54080
I was just responding to the statement that it only kills old people.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Personal opinion: football is very up in the air. Basketball WILL happen. It will. Will that be in November? Maybe not. Worst case is it gets moved to January. NCAA could never recover from two missed march madnesses
Do you really think in todays social climate and the hysteria involved, people will allow it to happen in the winter when "the second stronger wave" comes back? Sports are done due to the hysteria

Reaction Score
It Is not about cases getting to 0, it’s about being able to manage the cases that pop up. Texas is a free for all right now. They are tracking nothing and opening everything. I know people that have been in restaurants at full capacity, inside, not on the patio. So now you have two distinct groups...people that are comfortable in that environment and those who are not. I know many people in the middle that are saying that they would start to go out if they felt any measures were in place, but there are not so they are staying home. There is no contact tracing and barely quarantine. I know people that tested positive and still were going out. They said they felt ok so didn’t think it was a big deal. Time will tell how it plays out. I am hopeful, but not overly optimistic.

Nothing you said here is wrong. For those who aren’t comfortable in that environment, I’d continue to stay home as much as possible.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Neither does having 33 million people without jobs and unable to pay for food and rent. There are obvious risks with reopening and there are obvious risks with staying locked down. One thing is for sure and we cannot wait for cases to get to 0 or for a vaccine to reopen the economy.
they don't want to open back up, that's why they keep saying until there's vaccine or there are no more cases

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
People who don't want to go to the games or are at greater risk, shouldn't go to the games. Those of us who want to get back to our lives and these events shouldn't be told we aren't allowed to

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are a few specific challenges with COVID and basketball:

1) It is impossible to social distance in basketball.
2) Young people are frequently, as in a majority of the time, asymptomatic even though they can be transmitting the virus to others. Which means that they will not even know they have it while they are passing it around.

Ideally, they would antibody test that the players are immune before playing, or test players right before games to show they are not sick. We also have to just be comfortable that some players and coaches are going to get COVID as a result of playing. If the players or coaches are uncomfortable with that, then they don't participate. I don't know any other way to do it.

Reaction Score
Do you really think in todays social climate and the hysteria involved, people will allow it to happen in the winter when "the second stronger wave" comes back? Sports are done due to the hysteria
Swagoo I think you are dead wrong. If colleges and sporting events are not played this country will go into a depression. Not a recession a depression. Get ready to watch some sports again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom