V. Jackson to New Mexico | Page 2 | The Boneyard

V. Jackson to New Mexico

Reaction Score
tenor.gif

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
All the best....sitting out a year to play at New Mexico in Mtn West Conf....makes perfect sense.

He did say he hated the winter weather in CT so on that level it makes sense :cool:....otherwise I'm perplexed.

We attended the 1983 Final Four in Albuquerque. It was 29 degrees outside "The Pit" the night of the championship game during the first week in April, with blizzard conditions over the weekend in the mountains to the north. I hope he enjoys the balmy winter weather.

Reaction Score
Any thoughts here on Storrs, CT not being an attractive place for the new wave of kids? Kids want a unique experience more than ever. Lets face it - Uconn just isn't that fun of a school. The internet age has given young kids a platform and the ability to brand themselves. Selling kids on the past just doesn't cut it anymore.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Wow. New Mexico? Really?

I'll bet he never plays a game for them.

Reaction Score
All the best....sitting out a year to play at New Mexico in Mtn West Conf....makes perfect sense.

He did say he hated the winter weather in CT so on that level it makes sense :cool:....otherwise I'm perplexed.
Well he is going to be disappointed come January when its snowing in Albuquerque

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Too bad he/his father don't have a grip on what kind of player he is. With a little more footspeed and proper coaching, he could have turned into a nice 3 and D guy averaging 12-15 a game.
It's unfortunate, we could have really used him next season. Could have played big minutes with some improvement in the offseason.

Reaction Score
Any thoughts here on Storrs, CT not being an attractive place for the new wave of kids? Kids want a unique experience more than ever. Lets face it - UConn just isn't that fun of a school. The internet age has given young kids a platform and the ability to brand themselves. Selling kids on the past just doesn't cut it anymore.

It's not like we've moved the campus. I do agree that selling kids on the success of the program can be overrated, but I don't see how any of the things that appealed to kids in the past - aside from the obvious - are any different now. Save for the last year or so, recruiting hasn't really been the problem. People know coming in that you're not going to have as many twitter followers here as you might at Kentucky or Duke. That tends to matter less when there is a confidence in the staff to develop you into a pro.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Any thoughts here on Storrs, CT not being an attractive place for the new wave of kids? Kids want a unique experience more than ever. Lets face it - UConn just isn't that fun of a school. The internet age has given young kids a platform and the ability to brand themselves. Selling kids on the past just doesn't cut it anymore.
I love this "selling kids on the past" meme that a few trolls (present company excluded, of course) have launched. We last got a natty in 2014. Three years ago is ancient history now? And three years before that we got another one. The argument is a vapid one.

Anyway, assuming you are right, can we sell them on NBA success? How about one of the best practice facilities in college basketball? A coach with 14 years of NBA experience? How about a beautiful campus? Uh, the fact the we are a top 60 university? How about the fact that we are a top 20 public?

Any of those work for you?

C

Chief00

Wow.

You can start at UConn or sit out a year and start for a lousy New Mexico....

Maybe coal is an appropriate Father's Day gift.

Agree, trying to find some logic buried somewhere here and can't. Other than he just did not get along with KO.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
All one needs to know about Albuquerque is that the No. 1 seed in the 1983 Final Four stayed in the best hotel in town...not really in town, but at the airport. That's right, Albuquerque's best hotel in 1983 was at the airport.

Among the NCAA's many failings, having the Final Four in Albuquerque was an epic fail, even by their pathetic standards. There were not enough hotel rooms for 17,000 fans. As the worst seeded team, many of NC State's fans were forced to stay in motels in Grants, NM. Grants is nothing but a gigantic truck stop on I-40 about 70 miles west of Albuquerque. They're all lucky they didn't succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning.

We were lucky, too. We didn't have to stay in Albuquerque either. We stayed in downtown Santa Fe. Best Mexican food you've ever had in your life. Santa Fe is frozen in time in the late 1960's. It was great. Albuquerque.....not so much. If I never return there again, it will be too soon.

Reaction Score
All one needs to know about Albuquerque is that the No. 1 seed in the 1983 Final Four stayed in the best hotel in town...not really in town, but at the airport. That's right, Albuquerque's best hotel in 1983 was at the airport.

Among the NCAA's many failings, having the Final Four in Albuquerque was an epic fail, even by their pathetic standards. There were not enough hotel rooms for 17,000 fans. As the worst seeded team, many of NC State's fans were forced to stay in motels in Grants, NM. Grants is nothing but a gigantic truck stop on I-40 about 70 miles west of Albuquerque. They're all lucky they didn't succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning.

We were lucky, too. We didn't have to stay in Albuquerque either. We stayed in downtown Santa Fe. Best Mexican food you've ever had in your life. Santa Fe is frozen in time in the late 1960's. It was great. Albuquerque.....not so much. If I never return there again, it will be too soon.
A 34 year old review of a city tells me nothing about the place in 2017. In 1983 Palm Springs was considered a hot tourist destination, 2017 not so much.

Reaction Score
I love this "selling kids on the past" meme that a few trolls (present company excluded, of course) have launched. We last got a natty in 2014. Three years ago is ancient history now? And three years before that we got another one. The argument is a vapid one.

Anyway, assuming you are right, can we sell them on NBA success? How about one of the best practice facilities in college basketball? A coach with 14 years of NBA experience? How about a beautiful campus? Uh, the fact the we are a top 60 university? How about the fact that we are a top 20 public?

Not really, because I am of the belief the majority of players do not care about those statistics.

Reaction Score
A little bit funny that Durham and Enoch who both showed next to nothing land at ND and Louisville, where as Jackson who looked pretty good and improves and ends up at NM.

Methinks you missed the week of "evaluation of prospects" seminar we held. You and others. There's no doubt that Enoch and Durham have something ... as accomplished experienced coaches like Brey AND Pitino show us. Vance Jackson will get pub in LA at UNM. That's the ego stroking they deserve.

pj

Reaction Score

Storrs is a great place to work on basketball.

Reaction Score

It's a cultural thing ... OUR excellence. Hard to keep that promoted after a 16-17 season. However, WE still have a sizable strong list of UConn brand and invested highly-accomplished guys who care.

I'm singing solo - I know. But none of the stakeholders of the last 25 years (and Ollie certainly has their focus) will give up. I contend part of the UConn issue is YOU: frigging entitled never happy fan base.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Methinks you missed the week of "evaluation of prospects" seminar we held. You and others. There's no doubt that Enoch and Durham have something ... as accomplished experienced coaches like Brey AND Pitino show us. Vance Jackson will get pub in LA at UNM. That's the ego stroking they deserve.

They may have potential and that's why Pitino and Brey took a flyer on each of them.

As far as what they accomplished on the court this past season, it was next to nothing. I don't see how anyone could debate that. Combined they put up 5 pts and 3 rebs per game.

Reaction Score
He's going to the second best team in New Mexico. If you really want to play on a tournament team you go to New Mexico State.

Vance and Paul Weir are a great match. Weir is a traitor and so is Vance. It'll be fun seeing them fail together.

Reaction Score
If he was a better basketball player he would have been a bigger part of the offense last year. He can shoot it a little bit but he's so slow. Good luck at NM, but this guy won't amount into half of what he thinks he is. And what coach would seriously listen to his list of demands, watch tape and agree to Vance Sr and Jr. Insanity

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom