UVA Post-Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UVA Post-Game Thread

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
My own bit randomness

--the color commentator, again demonstrated that the desire to talk nonstop does not enhance the broadcast.
--the cheer for Anna when she made her three made me laugh and demonstrated again that the fanbase is one of the most knowledgeable regardless of the sport.
--I honestly don't see any difference in Kyla's game other than she is making everything. She has always been a decent passer. Taking two charges certainly highlighted a wonderful evening.
--I am glad Megan stayed aggressive after she missed some open looks. Still think her on the ball defense needs to improve.
--the "mystery" of who gets PG minutes when Crystal Dangerfield is on the bench was addressed. No real surprise even though I do think Anna could handle it.
--Aubrey's fumbles don't concern me. I wish though that she would get the ball on her fingertips more on her foul shot.
--Geno talks about body language a lot. Evelyn's is not good. I wish he would show some patience with her. She must be practicing below expectations but I still think she can help.
--No matter what year it is, watching the ball move like it did tonight makes following this team such a treat.
--I wonder what the percentage of the time that UConn frustrates the other team's best player. Willoughby had her moments but certainly not at the level of her previous games.
--the team hasn't pressed much or played much zone. The talking head thought they were a zone on one possession. If it was, it looked like a matchup.

Reaction Score
Ania is a completely different type of facilitator than Crystal .. Geno is astute enough to have given Ania the green light to handle the rock and make things happen in transition .. the other night it was 7 assists; tonight it could've been 10+ assists .. good things happen when the ball is in her hands .. when the team adjusts to her style of play, I say, "LOOK OUT!" ..

Reaction Score
Ania is a completely different type of facilitator than Crystal .. Geno is astute enough to have given Ania the green light to handle the rock and make things happen in transition .. the other night it was 7 assists; tonight it could've been 10+ assists .. good things happen when the ball is in her hands .. when the team adjusts to her style of play, I say, "LOOK OUT!" ..
Agreed.She just might be the ingredient. She’s such a good, intelligent passer whose assists will mount as team knows the ball will come to them. Aubrey is a freshman who isn’t ready yet to get those kind of passes, as was shown in game, but in time she will, and the two them together could be dynamite. People also keep saying Anna is slow but she makes up for that by knowing where to go the floor, especially on defense, even though they apparently don’t play defense in Euroball (shorter shooting clock?). I think her shooting is affected by her need to prove she can defend.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Besides the missing of free throws and layups, the only thing that bothered me about the game was Megan again not passing the ball to a wide open, ready to shoot Ania. It has happened in the past two games. Everyone played tough defense including Kyla and Ania. Ania's potential level is very high, as is Griffin's.

Reaction Score
Besides the missing of free throws and layups, the only thing that bothered me about the game was Megan again not passing the ball to a wide open, ready to shoot Ania. It has happened in the past two games. Everyone played tough defense including Kyla and Ania. Ania's potential level is very high, as is Griffin's.
Yes, it was the obvious pass.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
She looks frail on TV but plays above her physique.
to me she looks like a female "mamba". Maybe that's what I'll start calling her or perhaps we should reserve that name for about another 6 years ;)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Kayla was so solid. She did everything. Two things stood out in the non-stat category. 1) the number of times she was able to get just a hand on a rebound to keep it alive. I can think of 5 times and 3 times a teammate ended up with the ball. And 2) the uncanny ability to draw offensive fouls. I always considered her challenged in the speed department, but I'm now thinking she is one of those athletes who are slow afoot but with real quickness.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A lot to like tonight, Kyla's overall game, Anna hits a couple of 3's, better ball movement and movement without the ball. Now if someone would just scream at Molly to shoot the ball. Wide open 3 with 2 seconds left in the half and she passes. Can she develop just a bit of confidence.
We all thought Molly finally got over her reluctance to shoot the ball last season, but I guess old habits are hard to break. As one of the best 3-pt shooters on the team, I suspect Geno will strongly encourage Molly to let it fly when she’s open.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I liked everything that everyone here stated that they liked. However, what I like most was the smile on Geno's face when Ana made a 3 and the smile on A M's face as well.

but Geno in his post game presser still wanted to extend the fun. To paraphrase, when asked what his thoughts were when he saw the 3pt shot go in, he said I don;t believe it until I see the video, Then he went back to emphasizing how much she does even if she is not scoring.

I liked his comment that when your players want to pass, it is funny how the cuts become harder and more precise, better screens are set etc

Reaction Score
"0 for America" - LOL. That is a classic Geno line. He might need another one if our FT shooting doesnt improve...

I hope that someone explains Coach Geno to Anna. Something along the lines of, "You have to understand two things: first, he's Italian. Second, he's from Philadelphia. In short, he's a wise-ass! Nothing personal. Just an Italian from Phillie being who he is. But keep in mind that he's a genius. He's trying to get you to be vastly better on the basketball court than you ever dreamed you could be. And hang in there, and you will be."

Don't sweat the wise cracks. It's Phillie....

Reaction Score
It looks like the team has some depth this year that will allow the core four to get rest during the conference season. Yes, it was Virginia and they couldn't hit the ocean with their shots for the most part (the defensive effort may have had something to do with that). However, the team as a whole continues to improve. I think the kids off the bench showed that they can play for extended minutes and the wheels don't come off the cart.

Even Evelyn looked better in her limited time, looking much more in tune with switches on defense. This is a team that has a really high ceiling if they can stay healthy. Not ready to say they will go undefeated, but I think they are showing that they are a team with the ability to give anyone out there a challenge.

Reaction Score
I hope that someone explains Coach Geno to Anna. Something along the lines of, "You have to understand two things: first, he's Italian. Second, he's from Philadelphia. In short, he's a wise-ass! Nothing personal. Just an Italian from Phillie being who he is. But keep in mind that he's a genius. He's trying to get you to be vastly better on the basketball court than you ever dreamed you could be. And hang in there, and you will be."

No explanation needed if you watched her post-game press video. She gets it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No explanation needed if you watched her post-game press video. She gets it.

Yes., I was just going to say that. To paraphrase, when asked what Geno said to her when she hit her first 3, she said she did not hear but she is sure it was something sarcastic. She had the biggest smile. (not to mention the reporters). :D:D:D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It isPhilly please.
Here is an article from the archives that will help anyone understand Geno.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on the UVA game:
  • I know it’s not all that important in the grand scheme of things to win the Center jump, but I have to point out that nobody’s been close to contesting Liv for the opening tip, so I’m going to track it for the rest of the season to see if Liv can go 38-0. :rolleyes:
  • 4 games into the season, UConn is 4-0 and, while some might argue that the Huskies haven’t played strong teams, quite frankly, there is not another team in the country at this point in the season that has 3 victories over P-5 schools along with a conference victory. The rest of the top 25 schools have lined up many of the usual suspects like Sam Houston St, East Tn St, and all the other mid-majors and cupcakes while they fatten up their record. I get that P-5 teams have tougher conference schedules in front of them, but I continue to find it striking just how weak some of the OOC matchups are that some top teams line up.
  • court to contribute to UConn’s success, and for the second game in a row she hit every shot she took.Kyla demonstrated tonight, during her extended minutes in reserve of Liv, that she can be counted on. I love all the little things she does when she’s on the
  • Biggest ovation of the night when Anna finally knocks down her first 3 at UConn, so Geno can no longer say she’s “0 for America.”
  • When was the last time UConn utilized an 8-player rotation during the 1st half? I’m hoping this is a signof thin gs to come.
Good post. 2 things to take away from this game: When Geno uses his 6-7 or 8 now he has to consider KYLA in the mix. ANIA has arrived! The Jumping jack has quick hands, quick mind, and scores (Aubrey).

Reaction Score
More improvement once again. Meg and Squeaks did their thing. I thought Anna was very good, beyond making shots. Liv was ok in limited minutes due to foul problems. Aubrey, who may be the fastest player I've seen, brought more energy. Kyla is still shooting 100% on the season. She's on a roll!

I still want to see more made layups (we were sloppy at the start) and more made free throws. But I'm happy with the progress over the last 2 weeks.
Is it just my perception: Christyn Williams, tends to score when the team has a tough time scoring. In the past 3 or so games when Uconn needed points she made the moves to score. Then she sits back and lets others get some points. Perception--or reality?

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on the UVA game:
  • I know it’s not all that important in the grand scheme of things to win the Center jump, but I have to point out that nobody’s been close to contesting Liv for the opening tip, so I’m going to track it for the rest of the season to see if Liv can go 38-0. :rolleyes:
  • 4 games into the season, UConn is 4-0 and, while some might argue that the Huskies haven’t played strong teams, quite frankly, there is not another team in the country at this point in the season that has 3 victories over P-5 schools along with a conference victory. The rest of the top 25 schools have lined up many of the usual suspects like Sam Houston St, East Tn St, and all the other mid-majors and cupcakes while they fatten up their record. I get that P-5 teams have tougher conference schedules in front of them, but I continue to find it striking just how weak some of the OOC matchups are that some top teams line up.
  • Kyla demonstrated tonight, during her extended minutes in reserve of Liv, that she can be counted on. I love all the little things she does when she’s on the court to contribute to UConn’s success, and for the second game in a row she hit every shot she took.
  • Biggest ovation of the night when Anna finally knocks down her first 3 at UConn, so Geno can no longer say she’s “0 for America.”
  • When was the last time UConn utilized an 8-player rotation during the 1st half? I’m hoping this is a sign of things to come.
In another post by you--you spoke of how good you think Olivia is and will be. Here is anothe thougt.
Olivia Nelson Ododa played a Virginia (actually Luxemburg ) player. Probably their most physical player who banged and pushed and pulled (along with 3 others) on ONO all evening long. Yes she had 3 fouls--well earned--but she proved her thin frame can stand up to big physical players. Jablonowski is one strong player. The attack was to take ONO out of the game and she withstood the assault.

Reaction Score
I think both of the frosh will be excellent. Aubrey will learn to catch hard passes, and her defensive versatility along with athleticism reminds me of Gabby. Collier couldn't catch as a freshman either. Anna will start dropping threes, I have no worries about that, but I'd like to see her power to the basket when she's in position sometimes rather than always kicking out to the three point shooter. That will come.

The problem is going to be against bigger teams when ONO gets in foul trouble. The smaller lineup worked last night, but won't always.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom