UVA Post-Game Thread | The Boneyard

UVA Post-Game Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on the UVA game:
  • I know it’s not all that important in the grand scheme of things to win the Center jump, but I have to point out that nobody’s been close to contesting Liv for the opening tip, so I’m going to track it for the rest of the season to see if Liv can go 38-0. :rolleyes:
  • 4 games into the season, UConn is 4-0 and, while some might argue that the Huskies haven’t played strong teams, quite frankly, there is not another team in the country at this point in the season that has 3 victories over P-5 schools along with a conference victory. The rest of the top 25 schools have lined up many of the usual suspects like Sam Houston St, East Tn St, and all the other mid-majors and cupcakes while they fatten up their record. I get that P-5 teams have tougher conference schedules in front of them, but I continue to find it striking just how weak some of the OOC matchups are that some top teams line up.
  • Kyla demonstrated tonight, during her extended minutes in reserve of Liv, that she can be counted on. I love all the little things she does when she’s on the court to contribute to UConn’s success, and for the second game in a row she hit every shot she took.
  • Biggest ovation of the night when Anna finally knocks down her first 3 at UConn, so Geno can no longer say she’s “0 for America.”
  • When was the last time UConn utilized an 8-player rotation during the 1st half? I’m hoping this is a sign of things to come.

Reaction Score
I got everything I wished for! Thank you Santa for the early Christmas presents!!

Kyla was absolutely stunning in this game. She did everything asked of her and more. Her defense especially impressed me. She was physical in the paint and moved her feet incredibly well on the perimeter. Now I want her to continue this play for the rest of the season!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A tremendous amount to be happy about with this game. 39 point blowout. Won every quarter. Played solid defense (except for lapses on Willoughby in the 3rd quarter).

Career games for Makurat and Irwin. SO happy for the pair of them. ONO learned what happens when you pick up 2 fouls, and then a 3rd at the end of the 2nd quarter. Great learning experience for her in a game that she wasn't needed.

I think aside from Olivia and Crystal, there was moderate to substantial improvement for every player on the court. I was hoping to see at least 20 minutes of good basketball. I think we got over 30. Vintage UCONN. I'm NOT saying we are going to roll thru the rest of the season, but it's great for Geno to be able to go back to the tapes and show where the team struggled in the first 2-3 games, and where they excelled in this game.

FT shooting kind of a mess - Aubrey with all her athleticism will get to the charity strip a lot. She needs to work on that cuz she's leaving points on the table. Still, she's really good.

Megan - AA caliber. Christyn - off from 3 point land, but found other ways to score. I hope Geno is smiling in the presser!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
More improvement once again. Meg and Squeaks did their thing. I thought Anna was very good, beyond making shots. Liv was ok in limited minutes due to foul problems. Aubrey, who may be the fastest player I've seen, brought more energy. Kyla is still shooting 100% on the season. She's on a roll!

I still want to see more made layups (we were sloppy at the start) and more made free throws. But I'm happy with the progress over the last 2 weeks.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
After a slow start, WOW. Typical UConn run buried VA.

Most impressive was ball movement. Clean, crisp passes. A lot of backdoor cuts for easy buckets. Players constantly cutting and moving gets people open for easy buckets. On the other end, very good defense and rebounding.

Anna finally breaks out. 10 points a game along with rebounds and assists will do just nicely every time.

Kyla was amazing. Motion, passing, rebounding, a couple of blocks, assists and 13 points!

This team is evolving nicely.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
After watching this game, I am once again..

Pleased as punch!

B0B320E0-09BB-49B5-8097-BDD96FE29FC3.jpeg

Last edited:

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I think Olivia's streak might be broken when UConn plays South Carolina with Aliyah Boston.

I've heard it said that UConn really takes off when they hit their first shots at the beginning of games. Glad they were able to break that superstition.

Very happy for Anna Mak for breaking her 3 pt hex. I have some issues with her handle. She's been getting tied up by the opponent at least once in most of the games I've seen; bounced the ball off her foot in one transition this evening. She's an outstanding passer, so this might be a potential handicap if she has to play a lot of point. Amused to see her talking to Molly during one of the FT lulls -- couldn't help speculating she was asking "Why didn't you shoot the [Polish words] 3?" In the Temple game, during one of those FT lulls, I noticed Crystal giving Anna a talking-to, so the chain of instruction continues.

I love watching CW play; best UConn finisher I've seen in recent years. A long time ago I remember seeing Ann Strother getting a rebound and tearing down the court with Diana trailing her. Halfway down the key she does a behind the back pass to Diana, who, visibly surprised (Ann has a big grin on her face) catches the ball and finishes. They run back, Ann still grinning. Like a jazz or blues musician switching keys when exchanging five-bars to test an experienced partner. Diana could do those extreme finishes, and CW reminds me of D when she does the impossible when she penetrates to the basket. Anyway, Meg gets a lot of attention, deservedly, but CW could get more love. She doesn't seem to get many rebounds compared to MW. Due to her positioning in the offensive scheme?

Kyla did some amazing things tonight. Who is this person? Bench looks a lot stronger than last year. Allows all sorts of substitution scheming for Geno. However, until AG gets better than 50% FT, probably I don't want to see her if the game is close at the end of a game. She looks frail on TV but plays above her physique. Hard for me to focus on her sometimes, though. But the more she plays, I'm sure I'll spot her and follow her play more closely. Olivia relatively quiet, but 6 blocks, 9 pts, 9 rebs, 1 steal (when did that happen?) ain't chopped liver.

Interesting that Mak & Irwin led the team in assists, and CD only had 1. Does this have something to do with a different offensive scheme?

Reaction Score
"0 for America" - LOL. That is a classic Geno line. He might need another one if our FT shooting doesnt improve...
Yes "0 for America" .. an historical line to be quoted for ages! haha

Reaction Score
More improvement once again. Meg and Squeaks did their thing. I thought Anna was very good, beyond making shots. Liv was ok in limited minutes due to foul problems. Aubrey, who may be the fastest player I've seen, brought more energy. Kyla is still shooting 100% on the season. She's on a roll!

I still want to see more made layups (we were sloppy at the start) and more made free throws. But I'm happy with the progress over the last 2 weeks.
Geno has to be pleased!
I thought Kyla earned her rotation as of today.....cross fingers! Anna again had some fantastic passes! LOVED the crowd reaction to her first 3! Priceless!
I don’t think anyone Anna was guarding scored.

Reaction Score
A lot to like tonight, Kyla's overall game, Anna hits a couple of 3's, better ball movement and movement without the ball. Now if someone would just scream at Molly to shoot the ball. Wide open 3 with 2 seconds left in the half and she passes. Can she develop just a bit of confidence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom