UT - pet peeve... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UT - pet peeve...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
College sports are defined by football (as shown by the games of conference musical chairs). Southern Cal and Texas have historically been better at football than South Carolina and Tennessee. Therefore, Southern Cal is USC and Texas is UT.

It really is as simple as that. Same reason why OSU is Ohio State.

mr006

Reaction Score
Don't forget these guys...

pda_ut_logo_2006.gif

I don't think UT can beat UT anymore, maybe not even UT...

Reaction Score
Don't get us started on searching TN in google now... :p
About 991,000,000 results (0.51 seconds)

Search Results
State of Tennessee
https://www.tn.gov/
State of Tennessee Home Page
Gateway to state government resources, including tourist information. Links to numerous non-state Web resources.
Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee
Wikipedia
The state of Tennessee is rooted in the Watauga Association, a 1772 frontier pact generally regarded as the first constitutional government west of the ...
State of Tennessee Information - TennesseeAnytime.org
www.tennesseeanytime.org/
Unfortunately, there are some situations where certain individuals or organizations try to take advantage of public records laws. Tennessee is trying to make it so ...
In the news
upload_2016-3-11_9-46-23.jpeg
IRS has over $17M unclaimed TN tax refunds from 2012

WRCB-TV‎ - 3 hours ago
NASHVILLE (AP) - The Internal Revenue Service says it has over $17 million in unclaimed ...
Proposed update to car seat rules in Tennessee pulled back for debate
whnt.com‎ - 20 hours ago
Schools closed, roads flooded in West Tennessee due to rain
WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee‎ - 1 day ago
More news for TN
Tennessee Vacation
www.tnvacation.com/
Found in every string played. Every road traveled and memory made. It's the beauty. The music. The experiences. That can only be… Made in Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Now "UT"

About 948,000,000 results (0.69 seconds)

Search Results
The University of Texas at Austin
www.utexas.edu/
University of Texas at Austin
Like the state it calls home, The University of Texas at Austin is a bold, ambitious leader, home to more than 51000 students and 3000 teaching faculty.
Student Resources – ‎Texas Admissions – ‎Jobs
UT Austin (@UTAustin) | Twitter
https://twitter.com/UTAustin
45 mins ago - View on Twitter
Virtual reality isn’t new, but it’s more accessible than ever. Discover the future he sees: utex.as/1QJRNKjpic.twitter.com/mM2BDPX2X…
3 hours ago - View on Twitter
#WhatStartsHere Changes The World. It’s more than a motto. It’s what we prove every day. Learn how at #SXSW:utex.as/1UesSAZ
23 hours ago - View on Twitter
These #UTAustin students are showing off world-changing ideas at #SXSW. #WhatStartsHere #UTatSXSWtwitter.com/LonghornStart…
1 day ago - View on Twitter
Why does a #UTAustin professor need this gear? Find out: utex.as/1R9gzqI#WhatStartsHere @antarcticdinospic.twitter.com/WwL2cuAzq…
Why is @HookEm so excited? Because #SXSW starts tomorrow! Get ready for #UTatSXSW: utex.as/1UesSAZpic.twitter.com/K2GSaLkhI…
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
www.utk.edu/
University of Tennessee
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville was founded in 1794 and was designated the state land-grant institution in 1879.
In the news
upload_2016-3-11_9-52-32.jpeg
Butch Jones, Dave Hart among potential witnesses in UT suit

The Tennessean‎ - 2 days ago
9 alleging that UT is biased in favor of accused athletes, especially football players, and ...
Petition to save UT monkeys from euthanasia has nearly 100000 signatures
KVUE.com‎ - 2 days ago
Four out of five UT Supreme Court justices resign
UT The Daily Texan‎ - 2 days ago
More news for UT
The University of Texas at El Paso Home
https://www.utep.edu/
University of Texas at El Paso
The Official Site of The University of Texas at El Paso. Located in El Paso Texas, UTEP is the nation's leading engineering and research institute for the Hispanic ...
University of Texas at Austin - Wikipedia, the free ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Texas_at_Austin
Wikipedia
The University of Texas at Austin, informally UT Austin, UT, University of Texas, or Texas in sports contexts, is a public research university and the flagship ...
UT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UT
Wikipedia
UT or ut may refer to: ... UT (comics), a series of adult humour comic strips published in the United Kingdom; UTair Aviation (IATA code), a Russian airline; San ...
The Supreme Court Hears Fisher v. University of Texas ...
www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/when-can...a.../419808/
For the second time, the justices of the Supreme Court are struggling with Fisher v.University of Texas—and the divisive questions it raises.
Fisher v. University of Texas: The Supreme Court might just ...
www.slate.com/.../fisher_v_university_of_texas_the_supreme_court_might...
In 2008, Abigail Fisher, who is white, sued the University of Texas at Austin for race discrimination. The school rejected her, and she blamed its ...
Sweeping sex assault suit filed against University of ...
www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/02/09/sweeping...ut/79966450/
Six women say UT has created a student culture that enables sexual assaults by student-athletes, especially football players.
Unreal Tournament
https://www.unrealtournament.com/
Provides forums, contests, a screenshot gallery, news, and downloads.
Approved Providers | University of Texas System
https://www.utsystem.edu/.../approved-provid...
University of Texas System
The UT System has selected five quality retirement Providers with which you can invest your ORP, UTSaver TSA, and UTSaver DCP contributions. You may ...

Reaction Score
My source is the USPS.
Funny - for "TN" the first 7 Google results were in line with the USPS "TN" (Tennessee). But for "UT", Utah didn't even make the first page.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
when I saw UT and Eric... I automatically thought Tennessee Lady Vols, not Texas nor Toledo

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
upload_2016-3-11_12-49-20.png

About 948,000,000 results (0.69 seconds)

Search Results
The University of Texas at Austin
www.utexas.edu/
University of Texas at Austin
Like the state it calls home, The University of Texas at Austin is a bold, ambitious leader, home to more than 51000 students and 3000 teaching faculty.
Student Resources – ‎Texas Admissions – ‎Jobs
UT Austin (@UTAustin) | Twitter
https://twitter.com/UTAustin
45 mins ago - View on Twitter
Virtual reality isn’t new, but it’s more accessible than ever. Discover the future he sees: utex.as/1QJRNKjpic.twitter.com/mM2BDPX2X…
3 hours ago - View on Twitter
#WhatStartsHere Changes The World. It’s more than a motto. It’s what we prove every day. Learn how at #SXSW:utex.as/1UesSAZ
23 hours ago - View on Twitter
These #UTAustin students are showing off world-changing ideas at #SXSW. #WhatStartsHere #UTatSXSWtwitter.com/LonghornStart…
Why does a #UTAustin professor need this gear? Find out: utex.as/1R9gzqI#WhatStartsHere @antarcticdinospic.twitter.com/WwL2cuAzq…
Why is @HookEm so excited? Because #SXSW starts tomorrow! Get ready for #UTatSXSW: utex.as/1UesSAZpic.twitter.com/K2GSaLkhI…
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
www.utk.edu/
University of Tennessee
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville was founded in 1794 and was designated the state land-grant institution in 1879.
In the news
View attachment 12367
Butch Jones, Dave Hart among potential witnesses in UT suit
The Tennessean‎ - 2 days ago
9 alleging that UT is biased in favor of accused athletes, especially football players, and ...
Petition to save UT monkeys from euthanasia has nearly 100000 signatures
KVUE.com‎ - 2 days ago
Four out of five UT Supreme Court justices resign
UT The Daily Texan‎ - 2 days ago
More news for UT
The University of Texas at El Paso Home
https://www.utep.edu/
University of Texas at El Paso
The Official Site of The University of Texas at El Paso. Located in El Paso Texas, UTEP is the nation's leading engineering and research institute for the Hispanic ...
University of Texas at Austin - Wikipedia, the free ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Texas_at_Austin
Wikipedia
The University of Texas at Austin, informally UT Austin, UT, University of Texas, or Texas in sports contexts, is a public research university and the flagship ...
UT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UT
Wikipedia
UT or ut may refer to: ... UT (comics), a series of adult humour comic strips published in the United Kingdom; UTair Aviation (IATA code), a Russian airline; San ...
The Supreme Court Hears Fisher v. University of Texas ...
www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/when-can...a.../419808/
For the second time, the justices of the Supreme Court are struggling with Fisher v.University of Texas—and the divisive questions it raises.
Fisher v. University of Texas: The Supreme Court might just ...
www.slate.com/.../fisher_v_university_of_texas_the_supreme_court_might...
In 2008, Abigail Fisher, who is white, sued the University of Texas at Austin for race discrimination. The school rejected her, and she blamed its ...
Sweeping sex assault suit filed against University of ...
www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/02/09/sweeping...ut/79966450/
Six women say UT has created a student culture that enables sexual assaults by student-athletes, especially football players.
Unreal Tournament
https://www.unrealtournament.com/
Provides forums, contests, a screenshot gallery, news, and downloads.
Approved Providers | University of Texas System
https://www.utsystem.edu/.../approved-provid...
University of Texas System
The UT System has selected five quality retirement Providers with which you can invest your ORP, UTSaver TSA, and UTSaver DCP contributions. You may ...[/QUOTE]

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have never been confused by the use of UT or USC as I can tell by the context of the thread which university is being discussed. The use of UT and USC is regional and is appropriate in either case.

What really is worth discussing is the use of BU to refer to any university other than Baylor.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
College sports are defined by football (as shown by the games of conference musical chairs). Southern Cal and Texas have historically been better at football than South Carolina and Tennessee. Therefore, Southern Cal is USC and Texas is UT.

It really is as simple as that. Same reason why OSU is Ohio State.

OSU in Big 12 country is Oklahoma State, aka, Okie Lite.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter so much, it just has to do with being correct and communicating. When someone writes "USC", anyone with more than half a brain immediately thinks Southern Cal. If the poster wants to communicate "S. Carolina" then they should do so.

Nah, you're use of "correct" and "should" is really just a matter of opinion. Doesn't matter if the majority refer to Southern Cal as USC.. you're not incorrect if you refer to South Carolina as USC, nor do you have to communicate South Carolina by using "S. Carolina". Those are your rules. Those rules may be the more popular, but still, nobody has to abide by them.

It's okay, we can agree to disagree here.

Well that is just not true. California became a state in 1850. University of South Carolina came into being after the Civil War.

My original quote was "And that's before I even touch the fact that the school is older than the state of California..."

1801 came before 1850. I'm sure of it. I could care less when USC bequeathed itself the flagship of the State of South Carolina by calling itself the "University of South Carolina". The school was established in 1801.

At the end of the day. The argument is moot. I really don't care about it that much. I've never had a problem deciphering which school is being referenced because it's not that big of a deal and USC and Southern Cal are hardly referenced together for confusion to occur. Like ETT said, context goes a long way. If I'm using USC.. odds are I'm talking about the Gamecocks. That's a future note of reference for the Boneyard.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
OSU in Big 12 country is Oklahoma State, aka, Okie Lite.

Yeah, I suppose geography matters. You have to use the term that will be understood by the listener/reader.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nah, you're use of "correct" and "should" is really just a matter of opinion. Doesn't matter if the majority refer to Southern Cal as USC.. you're not incorrect if you refer to South Carolina as USC, nor do you have to communicate South Carolina by using "S. Carolina". Those are your rules. Those rules may be the more popular, but still, nobody has to abide by them.

It's okay, we can agree to disagree here.
That's true, people have every right to be wrong and use poor communication. You have every right to do so.

My original quote was "And that's before I even touch the fact that the school is older than the state of California..."

1801 came before 1850. I'm sure of it. I could care less when USC bequeathed itself the flagship of the State of South Carolina by calling itself the "University of South Carolina". The school was established in 1801.
South Carolina College was established in 1801. University of South Carolina was established in 1865. You really should learn a little about your school before you try correcting people and make outlandish statements.

At the end of the day. The argument is moot. I really don't care about it that much. I've never had a problem deciphering which school is being referenced because it's not that big of a deal and USC and Southern Cal are hardly referenced together for confusion to occur. Like ETT said, context goes a long way. If I'm using USC.. odds are I'm talking about the Gamecocks. That's a future note of reference for the Boneyard.
Not really and argument. USC is Southern Cal. USC is not South Carolina. No argument, just facts. You are free to use USC for South Carolina if you want, you'll just continue it be wrong.

Maybe I'll make up an abbreviation for S. Carolina too. How about POS?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yeah, I suppose geography matters. You have to use the term that will be understood by the listener/reader.
True. If you live in S. Carolina, I can see one getting away with using USC for S. Carolina. People who live there probably don't know any better. But pretty much everywhere else in the country, USC is Southern Cal.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
True. If you live in S. Carolina, I can see one getting away with using USC for S. Carolina. People who live there probably don't know any better. But pretty much everywhere else in the country, USC is Southern Cal.

Exactly.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's true, people have every right to be wrong and use poor communication. You have every right to do so.

South Carolina College was established in 1801. University of South Carolina was established in 1865. You really should learn a little about your school before you try correcting people and make outlandish statements.

Not really and argument. USC is Southern Cal. USC is not South Carolina. No argument, just facts. You are free to use USC for South Carolina if you want, you'll just continue it be wrong.

LOL. BOOM!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Thanks. I'm glad we were able to have this conversation without degrading ourselves to lack of rationale, immaturity and petty insults.

The weather is lovely in Connecticut today. Abnormal for March I've heard.

Reaction Score
We (our fans and your fans) have managed to get through a regular season without treating each other in an insulting manner. Now neither you nor Meyers are from Tennessee so there's no reason for either to behave in an impolite manner.

This is what happens when our blood is up and we have an extended period of time to wait before we get to play again.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I have never been confused by the use of UT or USC as I can tell by the context of the thread which university is being discussed. The use of UT and USC is regional and is appropriate in either case.

What really is worth discussing is the use of BU to refer to any university other than Baylor.

BU is Boston a University, of course; the home of the Terriers and my brother's alma mater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom