OT: - USWNT - Who's next? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: USWNT - Who's next?

Reaction Score
I would also point out that Skylar Diggins-Smith did not win herself any automatic return to the roster for 2024. Digging-Smith only managed 6.5 minutes per game, and scored just 1.6 ppg. And she'll be 34 next time round, which also militates against her inclusion when there are excellent younger alternatives available: Paige, Clark, and Ionescu. Nor did Ariel Atkins help herself to another spot on the roster.

Don't think Tina Charles will return, based not least on the fact that she'll be 35 years old next time. D and Sue will not return.

Will Napheesa make the roster? Really surprised that she was a non-factor in this games.

Gray was superb, and was one of the four factors that won the Gold. The others being the all-time classic frontline of Breanna, Britney, and A'ja. No one else really stood out.

But next time, the tournament could be very rough. With a potentially very young backcourt playing against seasoned pros from Europe and the Japanese league, and with an aging front court trio, it won't be any easier than this year.

And won't the Ogwumike sisters be playing for Nigeria? And Ogunbowale? Isn't she a dual citizen as well? If they team up, will Nigeria be the team most likely to challenge the U.S.?
Aging frontcourt, A'ja will be 28, Stewie 29, Griner 33, EDD will be 34, and missed 2 years. At least 2 of those players won 't have reached their best years.

Reaction Score
So we disagree, therefore I challenge you to a duel. The only fair way to judge who's right, after all there is no way to see this play out on the court. You pick the weapons and I'll chose the time and place. Good luck to you Mr. V
Ooooh. The proverbial face slap with an empty glove. Also, if he chooses the weapon, you choose the number of paces.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Ooooh. The proverbial face slap with an empty glove. Also, if he chooses the weapon, you choose the number of paces.
We will both need a second taking applications from fellow BYers.

Reaction Score
It will certainly be interesting to see how the pool and roster play out. There are a lot of players who can be put into the conversation. My thoughts below:
In my opinion, there are clearly some locks from this Olympic team (assuming they are healthy) for both WC22 and O24 - Stewie, A’ja, Griner, and Loyd.
High probability (at this point - things can easily change) - Gray, Collier.
Charles, Fowels, Diggins, and Atkins are question marks. Fowels will be 38 in 2024 and Charles will be 35.
Diggins and Atkins are possible - many have said definitely no on both, but I personally would take them over players like Courtney Williams, The Mitchells, Copper, DeShields, Canada, etc.
Beyond that, it really is a tossup. While I do not like Arike at all, it would be shocking if she doesn’t make the team (unless she plays for Nigeria). While she’s never had the best attitude or team mentality, she can score from anywhere and anytime.
Guards are something that will need to be worked out sooner rather than later. I would take Plum over Diggins, but like Alisha Gray, she may want to stay on the 3x3 team.
Ionescu, if healthy, would also be hard to see off the roster.
So, you could see the future backcourt (as of now) be like this Loyd, Ionescu, Arike.
Obviously this is a UConn board and I am biased, but Paige should be on the 2024 Olympic team. She is the best option at PG for USAB in the future. I noticed some say she will not be on the 2024 team, but USA has taken players fresh out of college to the Olympics before - Dee, Parker, Fowels, Stewie. With no candidate being the clear choice for PG at this point, Paige has a good chance.
Other younger players to keep an eye on for the future - Haley Jones, Boston, Brink, Van Lith, Clark, Azzi, Betts. In no way am I saying they’ll be on the 2024 team, but I would imagine they’ll be in future USA team pools beyond 2024.

Reaction Score
We will both need a second taking applications from fellow BYers.
This whole dueling thing is actually rather complicated, while still being very simple. I have attached the Code Duello, from 1777, below.

Please note rule 25, regarding seconds disagreeing and deciding to duel it out themselves. With players from the BY involved it could get a little bloody since "at the same time and at right angles with their principals" is how that would be played. Not quite sure if the seconds get to have their own seconds, but I could envision a 360 circle with BYers spaced around evenly. The forum is sometimes bloody enough as is, but played out on a foggy field at 7am underneath a few towering oaks would provide fodder for many years of discussion. It would certainly clear the air for a little while. Cell phones required for video.

Code Duello

Reaction Score
I don’t understand how people are saying Paige definitely shouldn’t be on the 24 team. As a freshman she was NPOY, A FRESHMAN!!! People are acting as if she isn’t going to get better in the next 3 years. She’s already regarded as the best player in college, I can not even imagine what 3 more years under Geno will do to her development. I definitely see her, at minimum, being invited to the camp with a good chance of making the team.

Reaction Score
I remember Angel McCoughtry modifying her personality and "game" around the 2012 & 2016 Olympics to fit in with Geno's coaching because she would do anything to be coached by him! She respects him so much, and Geno loved coaching Angel for being a true "team player"! They are still very close friends!

Reaction Score
You never know how players will mesh on the national team - Angel McCoughtry has never had a great rep as a 'team player' but she (and Geno) found a niche for her skills and she played really well for two cycles.

I think that is the beauty of Geno's coach on the USA team - finding and defining roles specific to the player's talent and the team's needs for all 12 players. Something that I don't think was well executed for this Olympic team. Whalen and Bird were completely different point guards and yet both were able to run a equally effective team in the same games.
I agree ucMiami! I remember Angel McCoughtry modifying her personality and "game" around the 2012 & 2016 Olympics to fit in with Geno's coaching because she would do anything to be coached by him! She respects him so much, and Geno loved coaching Angel for being a true "team player"! They are still very close friends!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not gonna wade thru the thread. My thoughts, Stewie, Wilson and Griner are the only players who should be locks for Paris. Maybe Gray. Everybody else should choose to retire, be retired if they don't choose to, or for the younger players who didn't do much in Tokyo, go into the next selection process just like everybody else, without the slightest hint of having their spot reserved since they've been thru it at least once already.

This was supposed to be a transition year for the national team, but most of the new players barely played, so the opportunity was wasted. '24 will be even more of a transition year than this one was.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Look, I love Paige. I think Paige is the future. If Paige continues on her current trajectory and is healthy in '24, I don't see her being left off the team—other superstars have been Olympic reserves at a similar point in their careers. But, if you're expecting Paige to jump right in and be Team USA's starting PG in her very first Olympics at age 22, imho you are expecting a LOT. I just don't see it.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Assuming Sue and Diana are done, at the moment Loyd and Gray seem like the favorites to take over in the backcourt. If Diggins were the heir apparent, I think we'd have seen more of her in Tokyo. Atkins is younger and may have a better shot; tbh I haven't seen enough of her. I still find myself hoping Ionescu can work her way back into being a factor. Maybe Plum or A. Gray comes over from the 3x3 team.

Also, nobody's yet mentioned the reigning WNBA rookie of the year, who played her share of USA Basketball growing up. Any chance they give Crystal a look?

Reaction Score
Let the youth movement begin
54C955F7-07FA-4661-B449-E3FCA3813B3D.jpeg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not a surprise. She barely played this time.
Only Atkins, Diggins and Collier played less.

Everyone else played at least 17 mpg.

Minutes per game in Tokyo:
31.8 Stewart
25.0 Bird
23.7 Wilson
22.2 Griner
19.0 Gray
18.8 Taurasi
18.5 Loyd
17.2 Charles
10.3 Fowles
6.6 Atkins
6.6 Diggins
3.8 Collier

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Age is the one thing that can not ultimately be defeated. I assumed without checking that she was next oldest after Bird and Taurasi. Remember her against Rutgers in the 2007 Final Four.

Plebe

Reaction Score
This was supposed to be a transition year for the national team, but most of the new players barely played, so the opportunity was wasted. '24 will be even more of a transition year than this one was.
Not most. Half. Three of the six Olympic rookies (Diggins, Atkins, Collier) played scarcely. Wilson, Gray and Loyd played 18-24 mpg each.

And just because a player plays sparingly doesn't mean it was a waste. Stewie played very little in Beijing, but the experience was valuable and prepared her well to be this year's MVP.

One variable that kept down the minutes of the end-of-bench players this time was the relative closeness of the games. In 2016, Catchings and Stewart were last off the bench, but both still played over 10 mpg. In 2021, three players were under 7 mpg.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not most. Half. Three of the six Olympic rookies (Diggins, Atkins, Collier) played scarcely. Wilson, Gray and Loyd played 18-24 mpg each.

And just because a player plays sparingly doesn't mean it was a waste. Stewie played very little in Beijing, but the experience was valuable and prepared her well to be this year's MVP.

One variable that kept down the minutes of the end-of-bench players this time was the relative closeness of the games. In 2016, Catchings and Stewart were last off the bench, but both still played over 10 mpg. In 2021, three players were under 7 mpg.
Okay. Loyd's performance left a lot to be desired. 4 of the 6 shouldn't be remotely considered locks to make the next Olympic team, so it still seems like not much was gained to me. Honestly I'd rather see some of the 3X3 players on the 5X5 team than some of the end of the bench first timers return again. I know, apples and oranges, but they couldn't do any less.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Okay. Loyd's performance left a lot to be desired. 4 of the 6 shouldn't be remotely considered locks to make the next Olympic team, so it still seems like not much was gained to me. Honestly I'd rather see some of the 3X3 players on the 5X5 team than some of the end of the bench first timers return again. I know, apples and oranges, but they couldn't do any less.
Yes, of course the angle had to be about Plum :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yes, of course the angle had to be about Plum :rolleyes:
It's not ridiculous. She participated in several of the exhibition games w/ the National Team in 2019-20 and a was a nice spark off the bench. Saved the game for the U.S. against UConn IIRC.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Also I did mention Allisha Gray. Is there any reason she shouldn't be on the team instead of Atkins or Loyd, for example?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Also I did mention Allisha Gray. Is there any reason she shouldn't be on the team instead of Atkins or Loyd, for example?
Paris is three years away. It's way too early for me to have an informed opinion about who should or shouldn't be on that team. Lots can happen between now and then.

I'm sure all the players who were in the pool over the past year, and especially those who went to Tokyo, will merit sincere consideration provided they're available. But whoever is on the next selection committee, I doubt that they (unlike many fans) will be overly burdened by preconceived allegiances and assumptions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom