USMNT Roster for Panama, T&T | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USMNT Roster for Panama, T&T

Reaction Score
Notice zero Germans on the roster. Purification complete. Job done. Nearly everything I said was going to happen has come to pass.

The team still plays just a crappy too.

And who would you put on the roster? Brooks is hurt, you admit that swapping Johnson for Feihlhaber is a good move, Cameron has been bad, disinterested or both with the MNT, Julian Green belongs on the back of a milk carton right now . . .

Reaction Score
Anyone who isn't a lock for the XI in Russia gets dropped after qualification. Call up anyone with the potential to contribute to 2022, with the real eye on 2026.

Any fringe players over the age of 28/22 need take a back seat to younger guys.

I think we should start doing this even if we qualify. But first, qualify.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Anyone who isn't a lock for the XI in Russia gets dropped after qualification.
I think I'd want a little more experienced depth than that. I'd want my top 18 to be usable, not just there for the experience. We can use the 19-23 for that.

Call up anyone with the potential to contribute to 2022, with the real eye on 2026.
I would prefer taking as strong a team as possible to Russia. Not worry too much about 2022 now (and definitely not 2026 yet). I think we need to put in a decent showing, keep the momentum that we've gained from the past few WCs going. (In terms of soccer growth in the USA. More fans, more kids playing, more DA players, more kids heading to Europe when they can.)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
By the way, is it a rule or something that USMNT games conflict with UConn sports events? Seems like it always happens.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
By the way, is it a rule or something that USMNT games conflict with UConn sports events? Seems like it always happens.
I think that's the other way around. :cool:

Reaction Score
And who would you put on the roster? Brooks is hurt, you admit that swapping Johnson for Feihlhaber is a good move, Cameron has been bad, disinterested or both with the MNT, Julian Green belongs on the back of a milk carton right now . . .

Sorry for the confusion. Benny and Johnson aren't like for like. One is a winger/FB, the other is a center mid of the attacking variety. Benny is there for depth because of all the guys we have on yellows.

I'd still put Chandler ahead of Zusi, he's faster. Zusi gets burned too much and besides Yedlin is ahead of both.

Cameron is in and he has nothing to do with Germany.

Arena has double standards. Acosta has been on terrible form all summer and he gets called in, but he doesn't think twice about leaving Johnson off.

Villafana doesn't even get on the team sheet in Mexico and gets called up.

Zardes is on AWFUL form and wasn't even healthy and he was called in. Zardes is so bad that Sigi Schmid shoehorned him into the LA Galaxy lineup as a FULLBACK! And he was still bad. Keep in mind that this is a guy that used to be a #9 for LA when that team actually didn't suck and Zardes was actually playing decently. And then to put a cherry on top, he doesn't even report to camp.

Johnson is a better player, even on bad form and is more healthy.. Double standard.

Danny Williams is a superior player to Dax McCarty

Juan Agudelo? He has no business gracing the US Roster. He's been an invisible player on a really bad team that just fired their manager.

So you tell me.. why is it not legitimate to call BS on Bruce Arena and US Soccer?

Reaction Score
I think I'd want a little more experienced depth than that. I'd want my top 18 to be usable, not just there for the experience. We can use the 19-23 for that.

I would prefer taking as strong a team as possible to Russia. Not worry too much about 2022 now (and definitely not 2026 yet). I think we need to put in a decent showing, keep the momentum that we've gained from the past few WCs going. (In terms of soccer growth in the USA. More fans, more kids playing, more DA players, more kids heading to Europe when they can.)

And that's the mindset that reinforces failure and mediocrity.

Even if we do qualify, I'd rip the band aid off. Get the kids out there. Why continue investing with some of these guys?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry for the confusion. Benny and Johnson aren't like for like. One is a winger/FB, the other is a center mid of the attacking variety. Benny is there for depth because of all the guys we have on yellows.
I think Feilhaber is there more for breaking down a packed in defense.

I'd still put Chandler ahead of Zusi, he's faster. Zusi gets burned too much and besides Yedlin is ahead of both.
Agree, but not really sure of Chandlers commitment. And he has never played as well for USA as for Frankfurt. Zusi will go to the mats for you. I can understand a coach's trepidation on using Chandler. However, even given that, I'd probably go with Chandler before Zusi anyway. (and of course Yedlin before either)

Arena has double standards. Acosta has been on terrible form all summer and he gets called in, but he doesn't think twice about leaving Johnson off.
I don't think that has anything to do with Johnson being left off. Granted he's sucked the last couple of times he's played for USA. I think the bigger problem is his only wanting to be called in for the games he wants to be called in (the more important games). I think Arena is setting an example that the players don't call the shots. Another commitment thing sorta like Chandler.

But who else you gonna use at LB? Villafana has done eh, so-so. I'd prefer him to Beasley, Morrow and Garcia. Besides Arena may be thinking of 3 at the back.

Zardes is on AWFUL form and wasn't even healthy and he was called in. Zardes is so bad that Sigi Schmid shoehorned him into the LA Galaxy lineup as a FULLBACK! And he was still bad. Keep in mind that this is a guy that used to be a #9 for LA when that team actually didn't suck and Zardes was actually playing decently. And then to put a cherry on top, he doesn't even report to camp.
I never liked Zardes. I'd bring Johannsson back before him.

He was injured last I heard. I think he broke a metatarsal or something in his foot a couple weeks ago.

Juan Agudelo? He has no business gracing the US Roster. He's been an invisible player on a really bad team that just fired their manager.
Ummm, no, he's been playing decently, albeit out of position. I'd rather him than Wondo, Gordon, Zardes, Dwyer.

So you tell me.. why is it not legitimate to call BS on Bruce Arena and US Soccer?
You can, but you should probably have much better reasoning for it than you seem to.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And that's the mindset that reinforces failure and mediocrity.

Even if we do qualify, I'd rip the band aid off. Get the kids out there. Why continue investing with some of these guys?
Because they're the best we got right now. We are not at a point in US soccer where we can just blow off a cycle and expect to continue growth.

If we don't get to the WC, none of these kids you so desperately want to get WC experience are gonna have the chance to get the experience. When/if we qualify (gotta respect the mojo), then we can bring in some of these younger kids and take a look at them. We don't even know if they can make the jump to International play yet. Maybe they can, maybe they can't. But let's at least take a look at them before putting them in the starting lineups for WC qualifiers or WC games.

Reaction Score
I think Feilhaber is there more for breaking down a packed in defense.

Agree, but not really sure of Chandlers commitment. And he has never played as well for USA as for Frankfurt. Zusi will go to the mats for you. I can understand a coach's trepidation on using Chandler. However, even given that, I'd probably go with Chandler before Zusi anyway. (and of course Yedlin before either)

I don't think that has anything to do with Johnson being left off. Granted he's sucked the last couple of times he's played for USA. I think the bigger problem is his only wanting to be called in for the games he wants to be called in (the more important games). I think Arena is setting an example that the players don't call the shots. Another commitment thing sorta like Chandler.

But who else you gonna use at LB? Villafana has done eh, so-so. I'd prefer him to Beasley, Morrow and Garcia. Besides Arena may be thinking of 3 at the back.

I never liked Zardes. I'd bring Johannsson back before him.

He was injured last I heard. I think he broke a metatarsal or something in his foot a couple weeks ago.

Ummm, no, he's been playing decently, albeit out of position. I'd rather him than Wondo, Gordon, Zardes, Dwyer.

You can, but you should probably have much better reasoning for it than you seem to.

Agudelo has been playing well? According to what standard? I don't think it's healthy at this point to call in players on horrible teams anyways.

3 at the back is irrelevant in regards to Villafana because Villafana would be used as a wingback on the left side. Besides everyone knows that three at the back is really 5. Oh and let's keep playing musical formations and give Arena a pass for it.

Morrow is playing for the best team in MLS and he is a winner at the moment.

Feilhaber hasn't been in the plans all spring and summer. Either Arena has thrown in the towel and reversed his opinion on him, or we are just on the verge of running out of center mids for T&T. So it could be all of the above.

I would just say that Arena and JK made a pretty cosmic error in leaving him out, because we haven't had a decent attack minded center mid for pretty much the whole cycle. He actually holds onto the ball and plays with a chip on his shoulder which is more than most of our sleep walking players can say.

Reaction Score
Because they're the best we got right now. We are not at a point in US soccer where we can just blow off a cycle and expect to continue growth.

If we don't get to the WC, none of these kids you so desperately want to get WC experience are gonna have the chance to get the experience. When/if we qualify (gotta respect the mojo), then we can bring in some of these younger kids and take a look at them. We don't even know if they can make the jump to International play yet. Maybe they can, maybe they can't. But let's at least take a look at them before putting them in the starting lineups for WC qualifiers or WC games.

Arguably, we haven't grown since 2002. We made a leap in the 90s to becoming a team that qualifies each cycle. We have yet to make that second leap even if the team is more professionalized.

I can't think of too many nations who have made two leaps in performance. What we are trying to do is possibly without precedent. Same old same old won't cut it. I'm glad to see our best young talent steer clear of MLS. That league has proven that it doesn't like to play youth no matter how good they are.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I'm operating under the premise that we could send the original NY Cosmos and not make the knockout because of the questionable officiating they have out in the remote parts of Russia that the US will be undoubtedly sent.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Arguably, we haven't grown since 2002. We made a leap in the 90s to becoming a team that qualifies each cycle. We have yet to make that second leap even if the team is more professionalized.

I can't think of too many nations who have made two leaps in performance. What we are trying to do is possibly without precedent. Same old same old won't cut it. I'm glad to see our best young talent steer clear of MLS. That league has proven that it doesn't like to play youth no matter how good they are.

2010 was the next level but jobbed themselves in South Africa by losing to Ghana. 2014 was a pleasant surprise.

Reaction Score
2010 was the next level but jobbed themselves in South Africa by losing to Ghana. 2014 was a pleasant surprise.

Did you hear? Bruce had bunker Bob in camp this week to help out. We can safely rule out a 4-0 win.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thoughts on the announced lineup? I don't understand leaving Dempsey for sub duty. Play him until he's tired, then bring in Jozy.

Pulisic at center mid. Villafana at right wing back. At least it is not Zusi. Yedlin on the left. Arrieta on the right mid wing slot. He plays hard at least.

Reaction Score
Thoughts on the announced lineup? I don't understand leaving Dempsey for sub duty. Play him until he's tired, then bring in Jozy.

Pulisic at center mid. Villafana at right wing back. At least it is not Zusi. Yedlin on the left. Arrieta on the right mid wing slot. He plays hard at least.

Yedlin is definitely on the right. But I hate the lineup.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yedlin is definitely on the right. But I hate the lineup.

Thought it was odd he'd be left. Must have seen it wrong. Not what any of us would have chosen. But predictable.

Reaction Score
Getting that 3rd goal could prove huge.

If we hold on to win here, a Panama win over indifferent Costa Rica and a US draw against T&T means it would come down to goal differential, most likely, for the 3rd spot.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Getting that 3rd goal could prove huge.

If we hold on to win here, a Panama win over indifferent Costa Rica and a US draw against T&T means it would come down to goal differential, most likely, for the 3rd spot.

We are two points up after we win, and 7 GD ahead of Panama for the 3rd spot. They play a strong Costa Rica team that should beat them handily and we play a lousy T&T. We are in good shape.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Cameron is in and he has nothing to do with Germany.

Johnson is a better player, even on bad form and is more healthy.. Double standard.

Thought Chandler, typed Cameron. Context should have made that clear. I was pretty sure that Williams was hurt, or at the very least just coming off of injury.

Reaction Score
We are two points up after we win, and 7 GD ahead of Panama for the 3rd spot. They play a strong Costa Rica team that should beat them handily and we play a lousy T&T. We are in good shape.

The only concern I have is that Costa Rica and Mexico will have literally nothing to play for against Panama and Honduras next week.

But we should be able to take care of business against Trinidad and make that moot.

Reaction Score
The only concern I have is that Costa Rica and Mexico will have literally nothing to play for against Panama and Honduras next week.

But we should be able to take care of business against Trinidad and make that moot.
FWIW, Costa Rica will also have one day less rest after Nate delayed its' game against Honduras. But, as you suggest the US just needs to focus on beating T&T Tuesday night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom