USMNT Falling | Page 12 | The Boneyard

USMNT Falling

Reaction Score
I really have no idea what is happening anymore with youth soccer.

The MLS has created its own youth league.

But heavens to betsy, it is the same 95 DA clubs from the now defunct DA.

So, was it US Soccer throwing in the financial towel and not supporting the DA which killed it?

Because clearly, MLS clubs have no qualms about travel or the level of competition, as was rumored.

If anything, there will be a slight drop in competition with this new MLS league (given the lack of support from US Soccer).

My kid's club is one of the founders, apparently, of this MLS thing, which is no surprise. There were 90+ DA clubs. There are 90+ MLS clubs now.
That is so confusing. So same old same old, new name. Beachside and Oakwood from CT are on the list. My kid is EDP so doesn't impact us but we had been hearing those two CT clubs would be landing in our midst since ECNL already has two CT clubs. Guess we wont be playing them after all.

Reaction Score
That is so confusing. So same old same old, new name. Beachside and Oakwood from CT are on the list. My kid is EDP so doesn't impact us but we had been hearing those two CT clubs would be landing in our midst since ECNL already has two CT clubs. Guess we wont be playing them after all.

Only difference is that the US Soccer money is gone. Which is actually a big deal.

Reaction Score
Only difference is that the US Soccer money is gone. Which is actually a big deal.

We've been at this how many years? How many billions spent? How many world class players have been produced? My count is that we potentially have one in Pulisic.

My bar for World Class is that the player could belong in a World Starting 11 or be on the bench in a World 11.

Seems like something isn't working right. But I don't think that what the Fed is doing will help either.

Reaction Score
We've been at this how many years? How many billions spent? How many world class players have been produced? My count is that we potentially have one in Pulisic.

My bar for World Class is that the player could belong in a World Starting 11 or be on the bench in a World 11.

Seems like something isn't working right. But I don't think that what the Fed is doing will help either.

They have only sunk money into the DA for a decade. That's not many years.

And it's not just Pulisic. It's Dest, Weah, McKennie, Sargent, Reyna, Yedlin, Adams, Soto, Pomykal, De La Fuente, etc. These are young players actually logging time in tough leagues, which is something the USA has never had before.

If you're underwhelmed by our youngsters now, just wait. Because we're going on a big downslide from here.

Reaction Score
They have only sunk money into the DA for a decade. That's not many years.

And it's not just Pulisic. It's Dest, Weah, McKennie, Sargent, Reyna, Yedlin, Adams, Soto, Pomykal, De La Fuente, etc. These are young players actually logging time in tough leagues, which is something the USA has never had before.

If you're underwhelmed by our youngsters now, just wait. Because we're going on a big downslide from here.

None of those players are world class.

Dest and maybe a few others did not developin our system.

Reaction Score
None of those players are world class.

Dest and maybe a few others did not developin our system.

What is World Class if you're not a starter in one of the top leagues in the world? That makes you World Class by definition. This has never happened before in US Soccer. Look at a player like Reyna. 17 years old. Phenom at Borussia Dortmund. Played 4 years with a DA club prior to that.

How is that not World Class?

He's ahead of where Pulisic was at his age.

But many of those players are doing things American players haven't done before. And everyone listed there HAS indeed gone through the American system, most of them their entire lives, with Weah being the only one who had a short stint playing for American DA clubs.

Reaction Score
What is World Class if you're not a starter in one of the top leagues in the world? That makes you World Class by definition. This has never happened before in US Soccer. Look at a player like Reyna. 17 years old. Phenom at Borussia Dortmund. Played 4 years with a DA club prior to that.

How is that not World Class?

He's ahead of where Pulisic was at his age.

But many of those players are doing things American players haven't done before. And everyone listed there HAS indeed gone through the American system, most of them their entire lives, with Weah being the only one who had a short stint playing for American DA clubs.

because it’s not world class.

world class is good enough to be in an all world 11. It’s that simple.

pulisic and Reyna owe as much to genetics as anything DA.

Weah: genetics.

Reaction Score

That’s your definition of ‘world class’ and that’s fine but you state it as if it’s factual or something. It’s so subjective that 10 people could have 10 totally different standards as to what constitutes a world class level. I respect your personal requirements but to say the 12th best soccer player on the planet is not world class is preposterous imo....you’re talking about the top .0001 % on Earth

Reaction Score

???

All World 11???

What are we even talking about?

You're saying the best 11 players in the world?

I mean, Pulisic isn't anywhere close to that.

I thought we were talking about starting players on power teams in the top 5 leagues.

The USA has never had anything like the current crop of players in those leagues. Call it genetics or whatever you want, the fact is these players were trained in the USA during a period when the USA sunk more money into it than ever before. And the results are showing.

Let me give you an example of the difference this makes. With the money from US Soccer, our club hired a former UEFA Pro coach who actually helmed a team in the 2nd division of top European leagues. His practices were entirely inline with the organizational philosophies demanded by US Soccer, but moreover, they were regimented, highly detail oriented, rigorous, over and above the practices run by our US Class A coaches (I'm referring to the D1 head coaches which ran the club's top teams until the UEFA Pro guy was hired). This was done with US Soccer money (the college guys make $15-25k for running teams, the UEFA Pro coach was hired for double that--all these guys have other jobs, obviously).

Reyna by the way is not an athletic wonder. But look at guys like De La Fuente, Adams, Soto. They are highly talented. Adams is a key player for his team.

Have we ever had a CDM with Adams' ability? I don't think so.

In another 5 years, the US will be a top team (top 20) on the world stage. In another 15 years, we'll be worse than we were 3 years ago.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you're starting for a top club in either of the 3 big leagues that's good enough.

The US has had a number of them over the years but only a handful, mostly keepers, have had extended runs in the top tier.

Reaction Score
???

All World 11???

What are we even talking about?

You're saying the best 11 players in the world?

I mean, Pulisic isn't anywhere close to that.

I thought we were talking about starting players on power teams in the top 5 leagues.

The USA has never had anything like the current crop of players in those leagues. Call it genetics or whatever you want, the fact is these players were trained in the USA during a period when the USA sunk more money into it than ever before. And the results are showing.

Let me give you an example of the difference this makes. With the money from US Soccer, our club hired a former UEFA Pro coach who actually helmed a team in the 2nd division of top European leagues. His practices were entirely inline with the organizational philosophies demanded by US Soccer, but moreover, they were regimented, highly detail oriented, rigorous, over and above the practices run by our US Class A coaches (I'm referring to the D1 head coaches which ran the club's top teams until the UEFA Pro guy was hired). This was done with US Soccer money (the college guys make $15-25k for running teams, the UEFA Pro coach was hired for double that--all these guys have other jobs, obviously).

Reyna by the way is not an athletic wonder. But look at guys like De La Fuente, Adams, Soto. They are highly talented. Adams is a key player for his team.

Have we ever had a CDM with Adams' ability? I don't think so.

In another 5 years, the US will be a top team (top 20) on the world stage. In another 15 years, we'll be worse than we were 3 years ago.

Not look out of place in an All World 11. Just playing for a good team in UEFA is too low of a bar to clear.

Arguably the closest thing we have come to having a World Class outfield player was Reyna in 2002 when we was named to the All World Cup team. Pulisic is probably the only player we have ever had that looks as good or better than Reyna on the ball.

John O'Brien might be the other. O'Brien was a product of the Ajax Academy. US Soccer can't take credit for him either.

Bottom line is that based on what has been spent. US Soccer development has been a major failure. They are focused on making money not producing quality players.

Reyna and Pulisic developed despite the fact that they were in the US.

Reyna's Dad was elite, probably the best CM the US ever had. His mother was an elite Women's player.

Pulisic's Dad was D1 and played pro indoor, Mother was a D1 Soccer player.

That's genetics. Pulisic didn't even go to one of those dumb academies where they super structured practices 6 days a week. He was going to practice twice a week and playing maybe two matches a weekend until he was like 12.

We were a Top 20 team on the World Stage in the 2000s! You could easily make an argument that the USSF has regressed soccer.

Go back and look at the results of the 2000 US U20 team with LandyCakes and Beasley.

We've been on this train before. Blow the USSF into pieces and start over. The Fed just exists to seperate parents from their money and to collecting exorbitant licensing fees. The whole thing is broken and dysfunctional.

Reaction Score
Not look out of place in an All World 11. Just playing for a good team in UEFA is too low of a bar to clear.

Arguably the closest thing we have come to having a World Class outfield player was Reyna in 2002 when we was named to the All World Cup team. Pulisic is probably the only player we have ever had that looks as good or better than Reyna on the ball.

John O'Brien might be the other. O'Brien was a product of the Ajax Academy. US Soccer can't take credit for him either.

Bottom line is that based on what has been spent. US Soccer development has been a major failure. They are focused on making money not producing quality players.

Reyna and Pulisic developed despite the fact that they were in the US.

Reyna's Dad was elite, probably the best CM the US ever had. His mother was an elite Women's player.

Pulisic's Dad was D1 and played pro indoor, Mother was a D1 Soccer player.

That's genetics. Pulisic didn't even go to one of those dumb academies where they super structured practices 6 days a week. He was going to practice twice a week and playing maybe two matches a weekend until he was like 12.

We were a Top 20 team on the World Stage in the 2000s! You could easily make an argument that the USSF has regressed soccer.

Go back and look at the results of the 2000 US U20 team with LandyCakes and Beasley.

We've been on this train before. Blow the USSF into pieces and start over. The Fed just exists to seperate parents from their money and to collecting exorbitant licensing fees. The whole thing is broken and dysfunctional.

Pulisic's father just came up to our club to talk to players and train them a few months ago. What he described was very rigorous. Christian practiced 6 times a week and made sure to practice 4x for every game, which is not typical in premier. But the DA maintains the same regimen.

Pulisic not only played for a DA club, he played for two of them.

He played for the Michigan Rush and the PA Classics. Both are DA clubs that used to be supported by US Soccer. Pulisic totally came up through the DA system.

I challenge you to find me this many young players playing in the top 5 European leagues for top teams at another point in US Soccer history. I don't think you'll find another period when this has been accomplished.

Reaction Score
Pulisic's father just came up to our club to talk to players and train them a few months ago. What he described was very rigorous. Christian practiced 6 times a week and made sure to practice 4x for every game, which is not typical in premier. But the DA maintains the same regimen.

Pulisic not only played for a DA club, he played for two of them.

He played for the Michigan Rush and the PA Classics. Both are DA clubs that used to be supported by US Soccer. Pulisic totally came up through the DA system.

I challenge you to find me this many young players playing in the top 5 European leagues for top teams at another point in US Soccer history. I don't think you'll find another period when this has been accomplished.

Maybe so. If success is getting kids into those teams then fine. But it’s not translating to the national team yet.

I think the fed needs to get out of the way. The Fed should also mandate solidarity payments.

Reaction Score
If you're good enough to play in any league in the world, you're an all world player.

It doesn't make you an all world all star.

Reaction Score
Maybe so. If success is getting kids into those teams then fine. But it’s not translating to the national team yet.

I think the fed needs to get out of the way. The Fed should also mandate solidarity payments.

Well, the players that grew up with the DA aren't starting on the national team yet, outside of Yedlin and Pulisic. I expect players like Reyna, DelaFuente, Pomykal, Sargent and Weah to become starters shortly.

We obviously disagree when it comes to the federation. I see how clubs operate when the Fed isn't leading, and I think it's detrimental to development. Federation leadership was entirely positive in my view as it provided world class coaching, a regimented system, properly set practice to game ratios. I think the coaching at least is now gone, and who knows what will happen to the systematic training now that there is no oversight. The number of games/practices is under club control and they can keep the current ratio, but I suspect they will have new pressures since travel/hotel/food is no longer subsidized by the federation (our kids traveled in a bus owned by the club, all their food, hotel, was paid for by US Soccer, parents never--or rarely--went to away games). All that is gone. This is why I believe games will now ramp up over practices.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm only giving this developmental stuff here the side-eye. There's just too much Judean Peoples Front v Peoples Front of Judea to the entire thing. But that seems to be the norm in American soccer. Each side thinks the have they have the answer but they all suck.

Reaction Score
I'm only giving this developmental stuff here the side-eye. There's just too much Judean Peoples Front v Peoples Front of Judea to the entire thing. But that seems to be the norm in American soccer. Each side thinks the have they have the answer but they all suck.

Well, there was only one side. There was no competition against it. Now it's gone.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of PSG; but, to have attention from such a high-profile club is a good thing for Dest.

Of course, this means his chances of being a star in MLS are greatly diminished and that translates directly into playing time on the USMNT in most cases.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of PSG; but, to have attention from such a high-profile club is a good thing for Dest.

Of course, this means his chances of being a star in MLS are greatly diminished and that translates directly into playing time on the USMNT in most cases.
He also had interest from Barcelona. Wherever he goes I hope he gets the starting role. I think he’s only had like 20 starts for Ajax so he needs consistent playing time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hartford Athletic is expanding their partnership with Southampton.

The partnership will now also see Southampton’s successful Global Programme integrated into Hartford’s Youth Soccer Platform. This will involve a focus on coach and player development, partnering on camps and clinics in both the US and UK, as well as the club’s expanding online programmes for grassroots coaches.

Hartford aims to provide opportunities for youth players and coaches through its commitment to grassroots soccer as well as providing a professional pathway to support its mission of a first-class professional soccer experience and to build a community through the world’s most popular sport.

Seems to me HA is trying hard and doing a lot of things right.

Reaction Score
I like the callups. Gregg's buttering us up now just to roll out Gonzalez, Zardes and Bradley for WC quallies

Reaction Score
I like the callups. Gregg's buttering us up now just to roll out Gonzalez, Zardes and Bradley for WC quallies

Agreed, these two games appear to be focused on capping some of the best dual-citizenship players to the USMNT, which is good. Of course, I also fully expect Bradley, Jozy, and Zardes to be rolled out for the qualifiers, too, assuming there is World Cup qualifying this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom