USF's Laksa lost for the season | The Boneyard

USF's Laksa lost for the season

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
In last night's game against Bethune-Cookman, Kitija Laksa went down late in the 3rd quarter, grabbing her right. She had to be carried off the court to the locker room. USF's worst nightmare has been confirmed. Laksa has torn her ACL.

The wife and I were at the game. The fans and team were in shock. The silence was erie. Talking with a fan behind us, we both agreed it was the ACL.

It will be interesting to see how USF regroups. Sunday's game against Oklahoma will tell a great deal. Jose is a good coach and the team has talent and some depth. But loosing Laksa and her 3 point threat is a lot to cover for a whole season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Oh. God. This is just horrible. I am guessing she can be red shirted for next year?
According to USF Athletics staff, "there has not yet been a decision on whether Laksa will declare a medical redshirt". Poor kid - terrible for anyone to go thru. Big blow to USF as she was the best player on their team... not sure if they can remain in the top 25 without her. Best wishes for a speedy recovery...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In last night's game against Bethune-Cookman, Kitija Laksa went down late in the 3rd quarter, grabbing her right. She had to be carried off the court to the locker room. USF's worst nightmare has been confirmed. Laksa has torn her ACL.

The wife and I were at the game. The fans and team were in shock. The silence was erie. Talking with a fan behind us, we both agreed it was the ACL.

It will be interesting to see how USF regroups. Sunday's game against Oklahoma will tell a great deal. Jose is a good coach and the team has talent and some depth. But loosing Laksa and her 3 point threat is a lot to cover for a whole season.
What a terrible way to end her season. Hope she comes through it all ok.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
This is quite a setback for USF, and horrible for Ms Laksa. I was looking forward to seeing how UConn guarded her without Kia. :(

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Terrible for Laksa, USF, the AAC and WBB in general. Assuming that she can come back fully from the injury, I would expect her to head on to the pros, both WNBA and Europe. She has a "pro ready" game, and is one of the best shooters I've seen in WBB.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
According to USF Athletics staff, there has not yet been a decision on whether Laksa will declare a medical redshirt. Poor kid - terrible for anyone to go thru. Big blow to USF as she was the best player on their team... not sure if they can remain in the top 25 without her. Best wishes for a speedy recovery...

Just to pick a nit, an athlete doesn't declare a medical redshirt. A school requests a medical hardship waiver. Since the one of the requirements for a waiver is that the athlete has a season ending injury (among other requirements like not playing in the second half of the season etc.), the waiver cannot really be requested by the school until the end of season. So, there is really no decision to be made right now or for a few months.
I know...a nit.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Terrible for Laksa, USF, the AAC and WBB in general. Assuming that she can come back fully from the injury, I would expect her to head on to the pros, both WNBA and Europe. She has a "pro ready" game, and is one of the best shooters I've seen in WBB.

This was a discussion I had with a USF fan today. She and USF has time to make the decision. And it is a major decision. I would imagine any discusiions of red shirting will wait until after the surgery and the beginning of her rehab.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Nononononononononononono! I loved to watch this young lady. I loved her attitude, her gunslinger style. I just HATE to see athletes get hurt, it doesn't matter the sport. The bane of sports in general. I wish this great young player all the best and a full recovery. It ain't fair man.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just to pick a nit, an athlete doesn't declare a medical redshirt. A school requests a medical hardship waiver. Since the one of the requirements for a waiver is that the athlete has a season ending injury (among other requirements like not playing in the second half of the season etc.), the waiver cannot really be requested by the school until the end of season. So, there is really no decision to be made right now or for a few months.I know...a nit.
Good points - I literally copied that line in my post directly from the article I read it in since I wasn't sure how the medical red shirt worked (who requested, how granted etc). I mean I know the basics, but not the specifics. thanks!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
According to USF Athletics staff, "there has not yet been a decision on whether Laksa will declare a medical redshirt". Poor kid - terrible for anyone to go thru. Big blow to USF as she was the best player on their team... not sure if they can remain in the top 25 without her. Best wishes for a speedy recovery...[/QUOTE

Eric - valid question about maintaining their ranking. The only ranked team left on their schedule is UConn twice. This is not say they will not have some difficult games. Coming up are Kentucky, UNC, UCLA and Virginia plus Oklahoma on Sunday. If they can survive these teams, they shouldn't have too much trouble with the rest of the AAC. But USF is definitely not the same without Laksa.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A bitter pill for USF and their preeminent star. Best wishes for a complete recovery.

Reaction Score
one twisted knee can mean disaster for the player involved and her team..................especially sorry to hear about this as it's an AAC team and UConn's only legit competition in the conference..............

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Oh, geez, I'm sorry to hear this. I'm another who really enjoys her game and looks forward to seeing UConn play South Florida with Laksa. I hope she makes a full recovery and still has a lot of hoops left.

Jose is a great coach, and I suspect he'll still put together a pretty good season. I bet having Kitija on the bench cheering them on will be a big motivator for the team.

Reaction Score
Man I hate that for her and the USF program. She was heavily relied on, especially against UConn. I don’t foresee USF remaining in the top 25 nor defeating UConn this season without Laksa. Wishing her a speedy recovery and will see her in the WNBA.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Man I hate that for her and the USF program. She was heavily relied on, especially against UConn. I don’t foresee USF remaining in the top 25 nor defeating UConn this season without Laksa. Wishing her a speedy recovery and will see her in the WNBA.
I'd certainly love to see her ask for the medical hardship waiver and play a fourth year at USF. But she'll be pro-ready once she rehabs, and it may not happen...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom