USF WBB | Page 16 | The Boneyard

USF WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
I've never started a thread here.

USF WBB had a media day yesterday and the AAC conference media day is coming up in a few days, and thought that this would be a good topic for discussion during the season.

USF has never even been to the final 16. The closest they ever came was last year when they lost by a handfull to Louisville in the round of 32.

The consensus, here in Tampa, is that this will be the best USF WBB in history.

So, how far can they go?

Some USF players believe that they can get to the final 4!

Jeff Odom ‏@ByJeffOdom 23h23 hours ago
Here at #USF hoops media day. @USFWBB's Alisia Jenkins says she believes this team can get to the Final Four.

Aside from bringing back their starting five, and seven of nine of their top scorers, USF is just giddy over freshman Kitija Laska and her three-point ability.

Some other tweets from yesterday:

11:24 AM - 22 Oct 2015 Collin Sherwin ‏@USFCollin 22h22 hours agoI walk into @USFWBB scrimmage, & Kitija Laska comes off a baseline screen for a 3 that's so pure I shed a tear. THEY'RE GONNA BE SO GOOD.
    1. 11:44 AM - 22 Oct 2015
    2. Michael Medlin ‏@mtmedlin1976 22h22 hours ago
    3. @USFCollin @USFWBB she's ridiculous. She hit five in a row at the rec.... And it was smooth as butter.
      • 11:44 AM - 22 Oct 2015 ·

1. 11:37 AM - 22 Oct 2015
    Collin Sherwin ‏@USFCollin 22h22 hours ago
    BREAKING: @USFWBB MAKES EVERYTHING. This is the most ridiculous practice I've ever seen. Holy Mother of God.
As for myself, I expect us to be better and would "settle" for a final 16 appearance. LOL
WHAT YEAR IS THIS ??

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
USF released its non conference WBB schedule today.

Aside from UL, it doesn't have any top 10 teams.

Considering all the new USF players, it seems to be tough enough to get them acclimated quickly while still having a realistic opportunity to win most of the games and still maintain a respectable RPI.

" “I think this schedule will challenge our team to get us prepared for the grind of the AAC conference schedule in January and February,” said Fernandez. “From an RPI and strength of schedule standpoint, I think we have done our job to put our team in a position for opportunities to play for quality wins in the non-conference schedule.”

Challenging non-conference slate will test Bulls

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Our first three early signees are all from the USA:

Jazzmaine Bond (Tenn), Tamara Henshaw (Florida), Shae Leverett (Georgia).

Jazz Bond is a teammate of your commit Crystal Dangerfield.

Those three players are all between 6-1 and 6-4 and can all score, which is something we have been lacking. They will hopefully replace the rebounding and scoring which we have lost with the departure of A. Jenkins.

Considering we needed to replace C Williams, we went outside the country for an athletic guard, Enna P, from Denmark (ranked #10 player in Europe by prospects Nation) and recently athletic SF Nagy (#1 European player by Blue Star Europe).

We lost a starting PG and this JUCO more than makes up for her (on paper).

As I mentioned in previous posts, up until now we have not, generally, been successful recruiting top 100 American players. We've only landed a handful over the years. The obvious reason for that is because the elite WBB schools usually gobble them up.

So, we need to try and find the equivalent elsewhere, if we can.

Hopefully, that will change for 2017, since we are mentioned by a number of top 100 players mostly from Florida and many have been to a number of our basketball games during the past few years.

The problem is that UCONN, ND, LOU and many other NAME WBB teams are also after them. So, it's very tough competition for USF. Our resume is getting better and so we are now being looked at by some of them. Hopefully, we will have some success. They would be our FIRST option (as always).

First of all, sincere congratulations. Hopefully USF can improve this year to the point they can help bare some of the weight of the AAC conference that UConn has been carrying the last 3 years. USF has been the only serious AAC rival to UConn since it's inception. The more USF and the other members of the conference improve, the more the "optics" of the AAC will improve.

When member schools can win OOC/preseason tournament games that include a top 25 program (and go deep in the NCAA tourny), it not only makes that AAC school look good, but it also gives the conference some positive strokes too. I wish the bottom feeders of the conference (Houston & Cincinnati) could improve as much this year too.

Unless and until members of the AAC women's basketball conference can consistently win games against top 25 programs, they will continue to be perceived as a lower mid-major conference. The AAC will NEVER attract top 40 programs into the conference, so the only way to achieve national recognition and respect is to become extremely competitive, and win games against ranked programs. Just like members of the old "BIG East" conference did.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Carnac

Reaction Score
Unlike UCONN who can just reload each new season and still be at least a top five team, USF doesn't have the depth to consistently remain in the top 25 or even to guarantee a return to the NCAA tourney.

Year in and year out we will at least be a WNIT team, regardless of turnover.

We lost a great deal of starting talent, with three of our main women leaving.

A player such as Courtney Williams is not someone who comes to USF all that often.

Having said that, I am still confident that the new team will "eventually" make it back to the dance. It may be too much to ask for that to become a reality this season.

However, hope springs eternal and, I would not be all that surprised if they did achieve that goal immediately.

On paper, USF will be much bigger and more athletic than in recent years.

We've also brought in more offensive firepower.

So, it will no longer be the Courtney Williams show.

I expect that there will be much more balanced scoring on the team.

The question really is, how long will it take for all the pieces to fall into place.

The early season W/L record is very important for developing an NCAA resume, because the AAC is a weak WBB conference.

I don't know our preseason schedule.

I know that we play UL at home in January. By that time we will be more settled, but considering how good Louisville is expected to be, it would be a big ask for this young USF team to win that game. Of course stranger things have happened. :cool:

I believe it was last year, USF lost to Baylor by 3 points. With the infusion of this new talent, maybe now he can win a close game like that. USF is closing the gap. :cool:

Reaction Score
If USF could get and maintain a top 25 ranking, that would not only improve the overall perception of the AAC by outsiders just a bit, but take some of the pressure off of UConn as being the only member of the conference that's ranked.

The teams that make the final 4 are at the top of the mountain, where the air is very thin. Every year there are very good teams that don't make it. This year, there will be some very good teams that won't make the cut.

You've got to be completely healthy (none of your key players injured or sidelined), put points on the board, and be able to make stops consistently, and play mistake free basketball for 40 minutes.

As I've commented before in prior posts, the rest of the member schools should not be concerned about catching and over taking UConn, they must concentrate on catching and passing all of the programs between them, and the program ranked 25th. If you're not in the top 25, there's a reason. Get in the top 25 first, then set your sights on the top five teams.

If you have aspirations of knocking off UConn, you've at least got to be on the same street. The rest of the programs in the AAC aren't even in the neighborhood yet. :oops: Some of those programs have a long way to go.

I'm not sure who USF retained on the team
I would hope they are equal or better than last year.
You need to start a foundation to promote AAC teams to break the 30 barrier. The AAC team are doing better, the Uconn syndrome, as you know teams cannot get better in a vacuum or without the direct and constant influence of Management /AD's . Money--is the fluid that makes good BB team run.
I highlighted in you posting the true-ism of the AAC.

Reaction Score
Fernandez is making a serious effort in bring in the best talent available to improve his program. Two thumbs up!! I applaud his efforts. :)
Senior Fernandez is energetic, engaged, and recruits well from overseas--his United Nations team played exceptionally well with American Kids. Watching them play Uconn is a pleasure--and causes some anxieties --for the first Quarter or 2.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Senior Fernandez is energetic, engaged, and recruits well from overseas--his United Nations team played exceptionally well with American Kids. Watching them play Uconn is a pleasure--and causes some anxieties --for the first Quarter or 2.

USF games are always looked froward to by UConn fans. After the Christmas break, and before the NCAA tourney, they are the toughest team they'll play.
Three things we know about USF.
1. They will play the Huskies for 40 minutes with a "no fear" attitude/approach.
2. They're not going to let us blow them out. They may not win, but they'll keep it respectable. They'll play us tough, and give us a good game.
3. They don't fear UConn. Fernandez (like McGraw/Notre Dame) looks forward to playing us. There are not a lot of teams that truly don' want to play UConn because of the anticipated beat-down/blow out that usually comes with it. Nobody enjoys being on the receiving end of an embarrassing blow out, especially if it's on national TV, which a lot of UConn's games are. :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac said:
If USF could get and maintain a top 25 ranking, that would not only improve the overall perception of the AAC by outsiders just a bit, but take some of the pressure off of UConn as being the only member of the conference that's ranked.

The teams that make the final 4 are at the top of the mountain, where the air is very thin. Every year there are very good teams that don't make it. This year, there will be some very good teams that won't make the cut.

You've got to be completely healthy (none of your key players injured or sidelined), put points on the board, and be able to make stops consistently, and play mistake free basketball for 40 minutes.

As I've commented before in prior posts, the rest of the member schools should not be concerned about catching and over taking UConn, they must concentrate on catching and passing all of the programs between them, and the program ranked 25th. If you're not in the top 25, there's a reason. Get in the top 25 first, then set your sights on the top five teams.

If you have aspirations of knocking off UConn, you've at least got to be on the same street. The rest of the programs in the AAC aren't even in the neighborhood yet. :oops: Some of those programs have a loooong way to go.

I'm not sure who USF retained on the team
I would hope they are equal or better than last year.
You need to start a foundation to promote AAC teams to break the 30 barrier. The AAC team are doing better, the Uconn syndrome, as you know teams cannot get better in a vacuum or without the direct and constant influence of Management /AD's . Money--is the fluid that makes good BB team run.
I highlighted in you posting the true-ism of the AAC.

Wow, I wrote that comment last year, during the season. My comment: "Every year there are very good teams that don't make it. This year, there will be some very good teams that won't make the cut", was very prophetic, as three #1 seeds failed to make the final four. That post written last year is still current. :D

Reaction Score
Carnac said:

If you have aspirations of knocking off UConn, you've at least got to be on the same street. The rest of the programs in the AAC aren't even in the neighborhood yet. :oops: Some of those programs have a loooong way to go.

Wow, I wrote that comment last year, during the season. My comment: "Every year there are very good teams that don't make it. This year, there will be some very good teams that won't make the cut", was very prophetic, as three #1 seeds failed to make the final four. That post written last year is still current. :D
USF finished last year in the top 25 in both the AP and coaches polls

DI Women's College Basketball Rankings - USA Today Coaches | NCAA.com

Carnac

Reaction Score

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
American WBB ‏@American_WBB 31m31 minutes ago
In a rematch of the 2016 @American_Conf Championship game @USFWBB will end the season hosting UConn

Cr66fCzWAAAZDKD.jpg

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
While trying to wait patiently, (without too much success), for the WBB season to begin, I devour any tidbits I can get on the team. Thought, I'd share something I saw on twitter with you.

This is a short, cute, video (5 secs) of some of our "international" players shooting from the free throw line and beyond. Hope you enjoy.

USF W. Basketball ‏@USFWBB 3h3 hours ago
USF W. Basketball Retweeted Coach Jeff Osterman

Lookin' good coach! #InternationalFlavor

USF W. Basketball added,

T1QrbH-2TSl8dBP3.jpg

0:05
Coach Jeff Osterman @coachosterman
4 in row @USFWBB

That pic might not play as the intended video. Perhaps this one works for you.

Last edited:

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
I happened to go to the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) web site and noticed an eight minute video of our coach, Jose Fernandez, teaching Catch & Shoot Drills.

I thought it interesting enough to post it here directly, but it won't allow me to do that. If you wish to watch the tape you will need to go to their link below.

Women's Basketball Coaches Association

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Good for USF being in that Play4Kay tournament. But how do you have this tournament and without North Carolina State?
Real good questions there.....

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
USF will also play in another tourney:

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, USF will travel to Freeport, Bahamas for the 14th annual Junkanoo Jam Women’s College Basketball Tournament. The eight-team field includes Creighton, Dayton, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Minnesota, Missouri, and UNC. USF will play in the Lucaya Division, and will face North Carolina Nov. 24 at 4:45 p.m. The winner will advance to the championship contest and face the winner of the Minnesota and Georgia match-up on Nov. 26. The loser of USF’s game will play for third place Nov. 25 at 5:45 p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom