USF WBB '16-'17 Season | Page 7 | The Boneyard

USF WBB '16-'17 Season

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It is the duty of every BYer to root heavily for USF. I keep hearing about the genius of Coach Walz but they never seem to beat a team even slightly better ranked than them (His trick play wont work again). You would think genius would allow him to scratch out a few wins over slightly better teams. :rolleyes:

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
About what I expected.

Louisville 66, USF 52.

This pretty well sums it up:

1. Joey Knight ‏@TBTimes_Bulls 23m23 minutes ago
    .@CoachJFernandez: "Those first 20 minutes were atrocious." Bulls trailed 38-25 at half.

2. Joey Knight ‏@TBTimes_Bulls 24m24 minutes ago
    I asked @CoachJFernandez if Laksa (5 pts) was 100%: "She was 100%. She just doesn't like the physicality and the contact."

3. Joey Knight ‏@TBTimes_Bulls 28m28 minutes ago
    In postgame presser, @CoachJFernandez openly questioned his team's physicality & toughness. He's pissed.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
About what I expected.

Louisville 66, USF 52.

.@CoachJFernandez: "Those first 20 minutes were atrocious." Bulls trailed 38-25 at half.

I asked @CoachJFernandez if Laksa (5 pts) was 100%: "She was 100%. She just doesn't like the physicality and the contact."

In postgame presser, @CoachJFernandez openly questioned his team's physicality & toughness. He's pissed.

Maybe speaking out of school but is this not the general mentality of the European Players? It's just not toughness but there level of athetisicm does not seem top 20. Scheming without athletes only gets you so far.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
About what I expected.

Louisville 66, USF 52.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but USF's deficiency in the interior translated to a huge game for Hines-Allen (27 points) and a gaping rebounding deficit (44 to 23). Laksa and Jespersen were held by Louisville to a combined 11 points on 5-of-23 shooting. It's actually a small miracle they didn't get blown out by 30.

On the issue of physicality, Louisville committed 23 fouls to USF's 7. But USF failed to capitalize, shooting only 9 of 16 from the foul line.

Plebe

Reaction Score
USF W. Basketball ‏@USFWBB 19s19 seconds ago
FINAL | USF escapes Dallas with a W. The Bulls win 52-51, improve to 16-3, 5-1 in the @American_WBB.

Next game @ Temple on 1/29. We will need to play a lot better there or we won't escape with a win.

"Escape" is the key word here. Very fortunate to hang on despite a turnover with 15 seconds left, followed by a pair of missed free throws with one second to play.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
USF WBB is playing very shorthanded. Six players were not dressed for our game tonight, against Cincy, due to injuries or other reasons. Still, the team played fairly well, winning 72-52. Hopefully, we will have a couple of them back healthy for our upcoming road trip.

USF W. Basketball ‏@USFWBB 22m22 minutes ago
FINAL | Powered by a career-high 26 points from Maria Jespersen, USF defeats Cincinnati 72-52 in the Sun Dome! #United

C3n8je6WAAA1DlD.jpg

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You might find interesting the video of the post game press conference with our coach and players taking questions, which is on the page at the link below, to get an understanding of our current shorthanded situation. This has been an ongoing problem since the beginning of the season and it has only gotten worse. Hopefully, we can survive well enough through the finish line.

Women's Basketball - Latest News - GoUSFBulls.com—Official Athletics Web Site of the University of South Florida
Would you be willing the "recap" it for us as after all you are asking UConn fans to not only read your thread but then link in to a pressed to hear more about a situation which is only mildly interesting. Maybe the recap would make it worth my time...help me help you!

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Would you be willing the "recap" it for us as after all you are asking UConn fans to not only read your thread but then link in to a pressed to hear more about a situation which is only mildly interesting. Maybe the recap would make it worth my time...help me help you!

Well, we only played seven players in our last game and one of them is also injured.

So, our starting players have been playing almost the entire game with no, or hardly any, relief at all.

Coach Fernandez addresses that situation in the presser for the first few minutes and what it means going forward. That is the part of the presser I thought UCONN fans might find interesting.

Plebe

Reaction Score
USF received another '17 verbal from Wing Silvia Serrat (Spain).

Prospects Nation ranks her #8 on its '17 International player list.

USF '17 early signee, PG Alba Prieto (Spain), is ranked #11 by them.

2017 International Players | Prospects Nation

USF seems to be cornering the Spanish market. Good to see José recruiting some players. Good for USF, good for the AAC.

Reaction Score
Was a bit of a barn burner between the bulls and the pirates this evening with multiple lead changes until USF finally pulled away in the fourth quarter. Laksa with 34 and Gaffney with 25 and 12.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Tonight USF faces UCF at home for our only meeting this season.

I hope the USF WBB team is not looking past them to our game on Sunday with Temple.

In the latest Coaches Poll, USF moved up one spot #22 and Temple moved in at #25. So, we will have a ranked AAC match to determine second place in the conference.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Tonight USF faces UCF at home for our only meeting this season.

I hope the USF WBB team is not looking past them to our game on Sunday with Temple.

In the latest Coaches Poll, USF moved up one spot #22 and Temple moved in at #25. So, we will have a ranked AAC match to determine second place in the conference.

USF trails 37-28 at halftime. They've allowed Aliyah Gregory to torch them for 20 points in the first half. Someone might want to think about guarding her.

It would also help if Laksa shows up. She's 1-for-3 so far and 0-of-2 on free throws.

Plebe

Reaction Score
UCF won, 66-62. Gregory of UCF finished with 34 points. I watched the much of the game, and she was the real deal. South Florida did not have the athletes needed to defend her. Another intelligent thing UCF did was play very physically and make life tough for Laksa. Four UCF players finished with 4 fouls each, but USF only went 9 of 15 from the line.

A severe lack of depth and recent player injuries have caught up with South Florida. The PG Laia Flores looked very hobbled with her ankle injury. This loss may not cost them an at-large bid given how soft the bubble is right now, but I wouldn't call them safe either.

On the bright side, what a great program turnaround already engineered by coach Abe, as she's called. With the help of her assistant Nykesha Sales.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom