USF Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USF Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
There seems to be agreement that Antonelli and Mowen we're JUST THE WORST. It was a blow-out but still. ESPN wbb announcers all stop paying attention to the game at some point and go into high chit-chat mode. It is not only annoying and rude (regardless of score, everyone tuned into the game presumably is more interested in the b'ball than whatever the announcers are blathering on about) but also downright disrespectful of the players!!

About the game. Fun first half. 2nd half resulted in no injuries. I'm ready for the NCAAs to start.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I could not help noting that USF had more turnovers (15) in the first half than points (14). That's gotta hurt.

and MW had more points as well. A double dipper. We clearly lulled them into a false confidence with our game in FL. Maybe we can repeat against OR, SC, Baylor. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
For the most part, I enjoyed this game. I was disappointed in the second half to see Liv sit down with 2 fouls. I thought that the defense held its own and worked pretty well. The 3 point shooting was very acceptable and made the difference in scoring. Caution: this USF team suffered a significant loss. USF really tried but could never catch up. Although UConn play was much improved, they were not tested. They will not be tested until the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Bob and Debbie called a great game. Called all the action start to finish. Of course they didn't even know that Charlie was stealing screen space. ;)
I have always thought that the announcing for ESPN (UCONN) games was bad, but THIS game took the prize! :mad: (Has anyone noticed if its just with UCONN games, or if ESPN does this with other teams?). Here it is the final game of the conference and they were so rude as to ignore what was going on? When game play stopped, you didn't know why, who the foul was on! Then, at other times you look up and there was a substitution(s)! The entire 2nd half had Cream or 'something' stuck on the side, so if you had a small screen to watch on, it made it difficult to see the game. I was embarrassed for the team. Even half time was spent giving opinions on bracketology, instead of the game. I am sincerely hopeful that we are finally 'rid' of ESPN next year. :oops:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Since we’re piling on the ESPN announcers, I will confess that I wasn’t particularly crazy about their performance. I will have to go back to listen to the game tape to be certain I heard what I thought I heard, when I believe Antonelli commented that a couple of Louisville’s losses occurred when transfer Elizabeth Balogun was playing for the “Hungarian” national team. :confused:

Other than getting the country (Nigeria) and continent (Africa) wrong, Antonelli was close. Maybe Balogun also plays water polo. Hungary has a great women’s water polo team. :rolleyes:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
You got that right.

I usually listen to the radio broadcast and then review the replay. Near the end of the first half, Bob mentioned that Beth and Debbie were going to have to move into "Bob Joyce Time" - that is, fill in a lot of air space because of the smackdown. I know why radio doesn't do this, never quite sure why Television feels the need to move away from calling the game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The announcers sucked. For most of the second half, they didn’t even pretend they were there to talk about the game
That was just god-awful. One of the first times I've ever just turned off the sound.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is averaging 7.3 ppg the past six games. Clearly, she was overwhelmed against Oregon and South Carolina. But here's betting that she won't be overawed by anyone in the tournament now.

Aubrey has now attempted more free throws than ONO, though in 400 fewer minutes.

She's tied for second in blocks with Megan; tied for 3rd in rebounds; she's 1 steal from being tied for 2nd on the team. And all accomplished while playing less than 500 minutes.

Coach Fernandez saw it. Now how to play her more....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The emergence of Aubrey and Anna over the past several games is the entire difference in this team. Before, they were playing 4 0n 5, or 3 on 5. Now both AG and Anna are serious threats, and in so many ways.

They've made this team the threat it is today.
The point you raise about UConn playing 4 on 5 or 3 on 5 was also raised by Andy Landers earlier in the season. While it remains to be seen how UConn will do if they run into one of the top 3 teams again in the Big Dance, clearly they are a more complete team than they were just a month ago.

Anna & Aubrey are a huge part of that transition. But so too is the improved play of Liv, Christyn & Kyla, to go along with the steady presence of Crystal & Megan.

The one thing that never ceases to surprise me is that some UConn fans seem to forget who exactly our HC is. The greatest coach in the history of WBB can make lemonade out of lemons. Hell, Geno can make lemonade out of dandelions if he has to.....

Reaction Score
Not as efficient as the two prior games but a regression closer to the mean was to be expected. Have to keep the level of effort, especially on the defensive end, going. Should be a fun ride!

Reaction Score
Since we’re piling on the ESPN announcers, I will confess that I wasn’t particularly crazy about their performance. I will have to go back to listen to the game tape to be certain I heard what I thought I heard, when I believe Antonelli commented that a couple of Louisville’s losses occurred when transfer Elizabeth Balogun was playing for the “Hungarian” national team. :confused:

Other than getting the country (Nigeria) and continent (Africa) wrong, Antonelli was close. Maybe Balogun also plays water polo. Hungary has a great women’s water polo team. :rolleyes:
I heard Nigerian

Reaction Score
A big highlight for me was Liv's jump hook. I expect to see that a lot from here on in and certainly next year. Meg is playing with great confidence and she is clearly the Conference POY. The posts are correct. Geno put the brakes on. We stopped running not by instinct but rather by direction. He told CD to slow it down. Let's see what Coach says about the game to see if we are right about him pulling the strings. He won't say it directly but there surely will be clues.
I liked how ONO was making her offensive moves without thinking. More decisive and affective.

Reaction Score
She is a RoadRunner there is no frontcourt player that can keep up with her. She is a great offensive rebounder too. When she gets stronger I see a lot of double-doubles in her future.
Loved watching her last night but starting to notice how other teams are consistently leaving her alone when she gets ball outside. Wonder what assistant works with her since we could see a big improvement over the summer. In league, she is unstoppable; top teams have athletic, bigger/stronger players that can limit her performance.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Bob Joyce and Debbie Baer Fiske Call the game on the radio

Reaction Score
The point you raise about UConn playing 4 on 5 or 3 on 5 was also raised by Andy Landers earlier in the season. While it remains to be seen how UConn will do if they run into one of the top 3 teams again in the Big Dance, clearly they are a more complete team than they were just a month ago.

Anna & Aubrey are a huge part of that transition. But so too is the improved play of Liv, Christyn & Kyla, to go along with the steady presence of Crystal & Megan.

The one thing that never ceases to surprise me is that some UConn fans seem to forget who exactly our HC is. The greatest coach in the history of WBB can make lemonade out of lemons. Hell, Geno can make lemonade out of dandelions if he has to.....

If I'm reading between the lines, this UConn team again has couple AA's? ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom