USF Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USF Postgame Thread

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Isn't hyperbole fun.
Which is why I am glad that you guys have the Ignore option. (And the option to temporarily see why I probably choose to do it. :))

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the USF game:
  • The Huskies had to dig down deep today to find a way against the Bulls. Kudos to Liv, Megan, Crystal and Aubrey, none of whom were great, but all of whom were good enough.
  • Not sure what to say about the first half of this game. Between the head-scratching turnovers, lack of movement on offense, defensive breakdowns, missed open jumpers & layups, this was an ugly, ugly half of basketball. I’ll give Liv some credit. She was the only UConn player today who hit the floor in the first half chasing after a loose ball.
  • The second half wasn’t a whole lot better, but it was good enough for UConn to escape with an important victory on the road against a difficult team to play against.
  • After falling short vs the top 3 teams in WBB, UConn’s immediate goal is to take care of business in the AAC, hope some other ranked teams stumble and somehow end up as either a #1 or #2 seed in the coveted Ft Wayne region. It’s unlikely any AAC team beats the Huskies in the State of CT, so it comes down to a couple potential trap games on the road: USF & Cincinnati. Today, the Huskies survived the first trap game against the Bulls.
  • After Anna’s second straight subpar game, and Aubrey’s solid 2nd half, I don’t know if Aubrey ends up in the starting lineup next game, but Geno has to give serious consideration to that lineup change.

You said: "
  1. The second half wasn’t a whole lot better, but it was good enough for UConn to escape with an important victory on the road against a difficult team to play against. UConn should not have to escape from any AAC team this year. Is this an omen? :eek:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The defense was horrible with Anna and then with Molly. Aubrey and Liv led a strong defensive performance for the final 3 quarters and then the offense picked up in the second half.

Kara Wolters just laid it out. Anna is not a good defender. I would not go that far beaue she hass shown when engaged good help defenive instincts but in this game for whatever reason, she was so slow and she looked lost on help. Good for her to sit and watch good defense. And she was laughing just as much as anyone when we had a good lead in the 2nd half so I guess she hasn't been broken by meanie Geno. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Kara Wolters just laid it out. Anna is not a good defender. I would not go that far beaue she hass shown when engaged good help defenive instincts but in this game for whatever reason, she was so slow and she looked lost on help. Good for her to sit and watch good defense. And she was laughing just as much as anyone when we had a good lead in the 2nd half so I guess she hasn't been broken by meanie Geno. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Funniest post I've read today. LOL. :p

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Anna is effective defensively against forwards. She plays bigger than most g/w's. But out on the floor, against quicker guards she struggles to stay with her man.

Reaction Score
Basketball more than any other sport is a game of chemistry. Five players on the floor, and it is not necessarily about their individual skills, but how they compliment each other (movement, screens, assists, etc.). This year, it seems as though our five on the floor struggle with team chemistry. Against mid to low teams, we can still fight through and get the win, but it limits our offense against top teams. IMO, this is what leads to us looking "out of sync" and why Geno is so perplexed by our struggles.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And Aubrey is just quick twitch muscles and constant effort and she is always first to jump on the floor for loose balls. And her offense was a bit better as well. She attempted a 3 and it hit rim at least and that around the cross the lane layup was great. Geno loves her and she will be a force in the playoffs.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Aubrey will possibly be the first player to get a triple double with points, rebounds and steals.

Remember, Aubrey is still somewhat raw. As Geno said in December, this is the worst she'll play during her 4 years. After the Holiday break next season when they begin BIG East Conference play, I expect to see a marked improvement in Liv and Aubrey. I expect them BOTH to make their respective leaps.

They both still have a lot of upside and a high ceiling for growth potential. Liv will be more consistent in the paint, and Aubrey will be more aggressive on offense, and won't get as many of her shots blocked. We're seeing glimpses of that latent potential in both of them. I trust Geno and staff will bring it out of them. Neither of them is the player they were in November.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Basketball more than any other sport is a game of chemistry. Five players on the floor, and it is not necessarily about their individual skills, but how they compliment each other (movement, screens, assists, etc.). This year, it seems as though our five on the floor struggle with team chemistry. Against mid to low teams, we can still fight through and get the win, but it limits our offense against top teams. IMO, this is what leads to us looking "out of sync" and why Geno is so perplexed by our struggles.

Bingo!!! There's nothing wrong with your vision. You see the exact same thing the rest of us do!!! :cool:
Zero chemistry, and its side effects. :confused:

Reaction Score
You said: "
  1. The second half wasn’t a whole lot better, but it was good enough for UConn to escape with an important victory on the road against a difficult team to play against. UConn should not have to escape from any AAC team this year. Is this an omen? :eek:
I concur. It is frustrating to watch. Things that seem and should be simple to perform are made into mountains so difficult to climb. These games should be givens. There "should" be no doubt about the conclusion. However, it is what it is. Seems like focusing on strong defense is the real key to their struggle. And hoping that the ball will go through the hoop enough to lead at the end of the game. I have happy thoughts about next year with the personnel that will be left and the personnel that will be joining this Team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That first half was painful as USF fed off the gang that could not shoot straight. And poor Squeaks. I agree with ? @oldude in her truncated offensive arsenal. Jamming yourself into a crowd under the rim is not a key to success, Meg was solid, but Liv kept hope alive.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Didn't anticipate UConn would have such difficulties with USF. CD cold this game, but ONO & MW kept UConn in the game (barely) in the first half. Closer to UConn ball in the 2nd half, especially Q4.

Team seemed to have great difficulties with rebounds in 1st half. USF shooting 3s lights out in the 1st half. Anna appeared to be having difficult match-up & had difficulties holding on to the ball, & Molly had to substitute for her, then Aubrey. Not sure why coach didn't try subbing Kyla; slightly more likely to shoot, I would think. Molly is fast, though.

AG had a very good game this afternoon, made her layups, played disruptive defense, and allowed UConn to field two long, tall rebounders in the 2nd half, and that really changed the game around in the 2nd half.

CW really has a case of the yips. She doesn't get in rhythm even if she makes her first shot. Thankfully, she warmed up in Q4 (maybe she just takes a looong time to warm up). She did contribute with rebounds & assists, however. I'm rooting for her. Whatever her detractors say, she can at least be a potential scorer (unlike some the suggested alternatives) so that opens up space for whoever's hot, no?

Although Megan was tops in scoring, Liv made the biggest impression (Megan should pound her chest once in a while? So quiet.) rebounding and making her shots. ONO is improving in continuing to play after getting 2-3 fouls. And made a couple of her FTs.

Defensively, CD was all over the place (usually in a good sense) even though her 3 pt shooting was off. Hope she isn't in a slump. First half kind of depressing -- hoping the SC loss might have lit a fire -- but a good rally.

Hard to predict what's ahead.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think some of the comments in the game broadcast were very interesting and informative. The sideline reporter (sorry, dont know the name) was saying in the 2nd half that geno was describing in detail all, the options to be run off of the screens etc. This level off spoon feeding these details is not norrmal for a UConn team where in the past, natural read react skills would kick in

And in the post game, when Meghan Culmo was asked if trying to get Liv the ball all the time down low interferes with the other players trying to cut in the post, Meghan said it is not a problem. All you have to do is cut differently at different angles. I just worry that we don't have that basketball IQ across the board we are used to and is needed to make the UConn system go more smoothly. Good thing Paige has a PhD. ;)

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the USF game:
  • The Huskies had to dig down deep today to find a way against the Bulls. Kudos to Liv, Megan, Crystal and Aubrey, none of whom were great, but all of whom were good enough.
  • Not sure what to say about the first half of this game. Between the head-scratching turnovers, lack of movement on offense, defensive breakdowns, missed open jumpers & layups, this was an ugly, ugly half of basketball. I’ll give Liv some credit. She was the only UConn player today who hit the floor in the first half chasing after a loose ball.
  • The second half wasn’t a whole lot better, but it was good enough for UConn to escape with an important victory on the road against a difficult team to play against.
  • After falling short vs the top 3 teams in WBB, UConn’s immediate goal is to take care of business in the AAC, hope some other ranked teams stumble and somehow end up as either a #1 or #2 seed in the coveted Ft Wayne region. It’s unlikely any AAC team beats the Huskies in the State of CT, so it comes down to a couple potential trap games on the road: USF & Cincinnati. Today, the Huskies survived the first trap game against the Bulls.
  • After Anna’s second straight subpar game, and Aubrey’s solid 2nd half, I don’t know if Aubrey ends up in the starting lineup next game, but Geno has to give serious consideration to that lineup change.
Not sure why Geno has to start anyone based on one game. A few games ago, Anna played like a superstar and Aubrey had a few horrid quarters. Seems like good coaching to use who matches up the best to whoever we are playing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom