USF Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USF Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Geno must have done some coaching at half time. Energy from Griffin and better movement on offense in the second half.
Team didn’t come out until game resumed. Let’s hope he did more Xs and Os and less of the screaming he did on sidelines. It is getting tiresome. But the team bailed his poor first half coaching out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure why Geno has to start anyone based on one game. A few games ago, Anna played like a superstar and Aubrey had a few horrid quarters. Seems like good coaching to use who matches up the best to whoever we are playing.
The thing that's a little disconcerting is that 24 games into the season, the Huskies still don't have an answer to the question we all asked at the start of the season, "Who's the 5th starter?"

Reaction Score
Team didn’t come out until game resumed. Let’s hope he did more Xs and Os and less of the screaming he did on sidelines. It is getting tiresome. But the team bailed his poor first half coaching out.
Did you notice team played better today with Anna on the bench she can’t handle athletic players offensively or defensively

Reaction Score
Kara Wolters just laid it out. Anna is not a good defender. I would not go that far beaue she hass shown when engaged good help defenive instincts but in this game for whatever reason, she was so slow and she looked lost on help. Good for her to sit and watch good defense. And she was laughing just as much as anyone when we had a good lead in the 2nd half so I guess she hasn't been broken by meanie Geno. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Love the job Aubrey did on defense (and Geno taking a risk putting her on a small guard). Not sure what he was thinking putting Anna on one of the quickest guards. Anna often matches up ok to a player of similar size but not who you would want to keep up with a quick offensive player. Would not have wanted Megan or Williams to have to guard her either.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the USF game:
  • The Huskies had to dig down deep today to find a way against the Bulls. Kudos to Liv, Megan, Crystal and Aubrey, none of whom were great, but all of whom were good enough.
  • Not sure what to say about the first half of this game. Between the head-scratching turnovers, lack of movement on offense, defensive breakdowns, missed open jumpers & layups, this was an ugly, ugly half of basketball. I’ll give Liv some credit. She was the only UConn player today who hit the floor in the first half chasing after a loose ball.
  • The second half wasn’t a whole lot better, but it was good enough for UConn to escape with an important victory on the road against a difficult team to play against.
  • After falling short vs the top 3 teams in WBB, UConn’s immediate goal is to take care of business in the AAC, hope some other ranked teams stumble and somehow end up as either a #1 or #2 seed in the coveted Ft Wayne region. It’s unlikely any AAC team beats the Huskies in the State of CT, so it comes down to a couple potential trap games on the road: USF & Cincinnati. Today, the Huskies survived the first trap game against the Bulls.
  • After Anna’s second straight subpar game, and Aubrey’s solid 2nd half, I don’t know if Aubrey ends up in the starting lineup next game, but Geno has to give serious consideration to that lineup change.
  • Anna and Aubrey have each had an up and down freshman season. Each time you think they are about to break out, they revert back to their old ways. Based on todays performance, I would give Aubrey another start. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
    "another start" When was Aubrey's first start?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Why is Geno not playing Kyla?
She started 17 of her 21 games, now hasnt got into the past 2 games.
Only played 8 minutes vs Memphis and 4 vs Oregon?
Weird to have a starter not play after all that time starting.

Reaction Score
Anna and Aubrey have each had an up and down freshman season. Each time you think they are about to break out, they revert back to their old ways. Based on todays performance, I would give Aubrey another start. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
ANNA has had more opportunities. Let Aubrey start the next few games get her involved on offense. I believe it's UCONN's only shot to win a national championship.

Reaction Score

The team doesnt do what he tells them to do & you blame the coach?? He keeps stressing moving, cutting, etc. and all you saw in the 1st half are players standing around, while someone is holding the ball. Then, there is no hustle on rebounds, loose balls, etc. He should be screaming at them at halftime until they actually try to do the things he tells them. Enough of this "be nice" BS. Thats never been UConn's culture and should never be our culture. If players dont like it, they shouldnt play here.

Reaction Score
It wasn’t a subpar game for Anna. It was a dreadful coaching job by Geno. Anna’s makes a slight mistake and gets pulled and USF rolls. Why not pull the three players who denied her assists in first few minutes. I watched her on the bench show a look that said, “When is the next flight to Poland?” The problem Geno has only one motivational technique—screaming and punishing. I suspect he may have ruined her. Crystal and Liv saved the day and it was Aubrey’s best performance. But this is the worst game I ever saw UConn play and I put it solely on miserable coaching.

Stop watching Anna and watch the game that's going on.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It was hard to watch in the first half. :confused:

Instead of suffering along with Bob Joyce in the 2nd half (yeah, I know they did better).

I spent a most enjoyable afternoon alternately watching L'ville wack Notre Dame big time and
A&M squeak by UTenn in Knoxville...while keeping an eye on the UConn score at ESPN

Now, knowing they pulled it out, I can go back and watch the 2nd half without heart palpitations .

Note: after open heart surgery this fall; I'm not sure I can survive watching first half play as described by Bob.:)

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I chuckle every time I see it. One of the sets Geno has been using to generate movement is the Flex. It is at least 40 years old. I used it when I started coaching in the mid 80s. A clear indication that nothing in basketball ever really dies.

Reaction Score
It wasn’t a subpar game for Anna. It was a dreadful coaching job by Geno. Anna’s makes a slight mistake and gets pulled and USF rolls. Why not pull the three players who denied her assists in first few minutes. I watched her on the bench show a look that said, “When is the next flight to Poland?” The problem Geno has only one motivational technique—screaming and punishing. I suspect he may have ruined her. Crystal and Liv saved the day and it was Aubrey’s best performance. But this is the worst game I ever saw UConn play and I put it solely on miserable coaching.
Hey are you sure you watched the game ? The game only changed when Aubrey came in. She totally shut down their best player and caused turnovers to boot.
Anna couldn’t stay with guard who was too quick for her.

Reaction Score
Did you notice team played better today with Anna on the bench she can’t handle athletic players offensively or defensively
I noticed that she would have had three more assists if plays had been completed, I noticed she had three steals, two rebounds, and started fast breaks in very limited minutes. I noticed she allowed one three, made over her in position reaching hands, followed by uncontested threes made against out of place UConn players. I noticed she played great defense while other UConn players allowed short jumpers over them. She did fine against players who were not better athletes. So, no, I didn’t notice what you did. The truth is that, as much as I have defended Geno’s coaching countless times, today I realized he was right when he said UConn won because he got great players. This year, for the first time, in ten, twenty, twenty-five years (I would have to check) he doesn’t have a legitimate first team All American on the roster and he doesn’t know what to do, how to develop and bring along the players he has. It’s one thing to coach with the absolute best, another to coach with the merely very good. He’s had a good run getting great players. Other teams are now getting their share and more. His coaching style just might not be what some recruits want. That’s life.

Reaction Score
I noticed that she would have had three more assists if plays had been completed, I noticed she had three steals, two rebounds, and started fast breaks in very limited minutes. I noticed she allowed one three, made over her in position reaching hands, followed by uncontested threes made against out of place UConn players. I noticed she played great defense while other UConn players allowed short jumpers over them. She did fine against players who were not better athletes. So, no, I didn’t notice what you did. The truth is that, as much as I have defended Geno’s coaching countless times, today I realized he was right when he said UConn won because he got great players. This year, for the first time, in ten, twenty, twenty-five years (I would have to check) he doesn’t have a legitimate first team All American on the roster and he doesn’t know what to do, how to develop and bring along the players he has. It’s one thing to coach with the absolute best, another to coach with the merely very good. He’s had a good run getting great players. Other teams are now getting their share and more. His coaching style just might not be what some recruits want. That’s life.
He won because great players. No sh——

Reaction Score
In more important news, Colorado failed to make one of two free throws in last seconds and allowed Stanford to win on a Hail Mary three pointer as time expired. A Stanford loss might have given UConn a higher seed.

Reaction Score
Anna is fine. This team is fine.

What Anna needs to do, as Meg said in the broadcast, be ready to shoot. Good players often try to do too much. Concentrate on what you are good at, and what the team needs. Everything else comes naturally. This is the advice Geno has given to all. "Whatever it is you do best - go out and do it"

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

We have seats 4 rows up from court side. So our view of game action is really good. It was a poor game for Anna because she could not keep up with either Tsinike or Harvey. Both ran her off screens with ease. Geno made the right decision. Molly fared a little better.

As to the rest of your comments - I'll ignore your lack of insight into coaching.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Putting Aubrey on the USF point guard completely took them out of offensive rhythm in the second half. It really was the difference maker to my eye.

By the beginning of the 4th quarter, Pinzan was at the mercy of Aubrey. Pinzan would cross center line with the ball and immediately turn sideways to try and protect the ball. Aubrey was a complete nightmare for Pinzan.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Get your facts straight. There was 2:25 on the clock before the end of halftime.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Please coach, tell us one thing, and just one, that as coach you would have done differently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom