USF Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

USF Postgame Thread

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Well, since Ania had her mark beat her off the dribble twice in the first 5 mins, then turned the ball over, I think I'm on safe that turf.
I was quoting your reply to Dokey's post not something that you were discussing about the game itself.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the USF game:
  • The Huskies had to dig down deep today to find a way against the Bulls. Kudos to Liv, Megan, Crystal and Aubrey, none of whom were great, but all of whom were good enough.
  • Not sure what to say about the first half of this game. Between the head-scratching turnovers, lack of movement on offense, defensive breakdowns, missed open jumpers & layups, this was an ugly, ugly half of basketball. I’ll give Liv some credit. She was the only UConn player today who hit the floor in the first half chasing after a loose ball.
  • The second half wasn’t a whole lot better, but it was good enough for UConn to escape with an important victory on the road against a difficult team to play against.
  • After falling short vs the top 3 teams in WBB, UConn’s immediate goal is to take care of business in the AAC, hope some other ranked teams stumble and somehow end up as either a #1 or #2 seed in the coveted Ft Wayne region. It’s unlikely any AAC team beats the Huskies in the State of CT, so it comes down to a couple potential trap games on the road: USF & Cincinnati. Today, the Huskies survived the first trap game against the Bulls.
  • After Anna’s second straight subpar game, and Aubrey’s solid 2nd half, I don’t know if Aubrey ends up in the starting lineup next game, but Geno has to give serious consideration to that lineup change.
I think the first half represented a " hangover" from the SC loss.

But, once Aubrey entered in the second half, a " light went on." The team played as a team. We saw that Aubrey could take on, and totally disrupt, USF's point guard, which rattled their offense. Her confidence grew as the game wore on and she regarded herself as part of that unit.

This is the best starting five we have.

Ania may still contribute a lot but she will come off the bench to do so. Not right away, I think ( she'll start ). But I think coach and everyone else saw the " team flow" of the core four and Aubrey.

My prediction is that these five players will be getting a lot of time together from now on. And it will be the starting team once NCAA tourney kicks off.

Reaction Score
I think the first half represented a " hangover" from the SC loss.

But, once Aubrey entered in the second half, a " light went on." The team played as a team. We saw that Aubrey could take on, and totally disrupt, USF's point guard, which rattled their offense. Her confidence grew as the game wore on and she regarded herself as part of that unit.

This is the best starting five we have.

Ania may still contribute a lot but she will come off the bench to do so. Not right away, I think ( she'll start ). But I think coach and everyone else saw the " team flow" of the core four and Aubrey.

My prediction is that these five players will be getting a lot of time together from now on. And it will be the starting team once NCAA tourney kicks off.
So last game you stated Aubrey should go play volleyball or track and is not worthy of a div 1 scholarship now you want her starting how can fake anything you say seriously you talk out of both sides of your mouth

Reaction Score
So last game you stated Aubrey should go play volleyball or track and is not worthy of a div 1 scholarship now you want her starting how can fake anything you say seriously you talk out of both sides of your mouth
I use negative Ju-Ju to make players better. As such, I am willing to humiliate myself.

Reaction Score
Although frankly USF is not a good team, there were a bunch of things I saw this game I haven't seen often, and some things I'd never seen before.

1) Liv spun over her left shoulder twice this game. That nearly doubled the number of times she's done it all year.
2) Meg dribble drives and made a pocket pass to Liv for a basket. I'd hadn't seen Meg do that this year.
3) Liv rolled efficiently to the hoop after a high post screen and got two baskets. These were rare sightings. Although I've seen her roll off the screen she rarely does so efficiently, and never twice in one game. Sometimes she doesn't bother rolling at all. Liv also made a nice long shot that was nearly a 3. Her longest make of the year.
4) CW shot off of a low curl. I'd never seen that before this year. She didn't make the shot, but caught the defender by surprise and got the foul.
5) For the first time in 3 games UConn started to hustle, and for the first time in 3 games they started to get some loose balls.
6) Back to Liv, she did an up and under. Although it was to her right she made the basket.
7) AG attempted an open 3. Although she missed, she has to take those shots. Too often she's passed these up, and a couple of times this year it led to a shot clock violation.

Liv is incrementally improving, and she's working hard every minute she's in there. Liv takes a pounding inside, so guys, get used to it. CW has to at least attempt to make shots off curls and on the move. Not merely off of dribble drives and set shots. CD is going to need more time on the bench. She is also taking a pounding, and it's going to show come Dance Time. Ania has to play more at the 3, because she's getting schooled at the 2.
Liv not rolling properly is the coaches' fault .. what are they doing in oractice?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Liv not rolling properly is the coaches' fault .. what are they doing in oractice?
Do you honesty think this isn't being stressed in practice? What kind of AAU coach do you think Geno is? Trust me, it is. Just as Liv dropping her left leg is stressed. Some posterings on this site I don't get. Just because players aren't doing something in game doesn't mean they haven't been taught it or it isn't stressed in practice. Players, like most people, are creatures of habit. The ball goes up and they resort to what is familiar and natural. Players don't execute, not because they don't know how or haven't been taught, but because they forget, they don't trust the other player to do something and they try something else, they do it at the wrong time, they're overthinking, and of course many other reasons. You have to have a feel for rolling to the hoop: The speed of it, the spot to roll to, how to seal off your mark etc. If you've never done before it takes a long while to learn the skill. Then it takes a while for your teammates to recognize how you do it and where and when you want it.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Only when I select "Show ignored content". :)

Okay, I can live with that :) .....the only thing is: I sometimes say things that make good sense; and now, you will miss those nuggets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom