USF Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

USF Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the USF game:
  • The Huskies had to dig down deep today to find a way against the Bulls. Kudos to Liv, Megan, Crystal and Aubrey, none of whom were great, but all of whom were good enough.
  • Not sure what to say about the first half of this game. Between the head-scratching turnovers, lack of movement on offense, defensive breakdowns, missed open jumpers & layups, this was an ugly, ugly half of basketball. I’ll give Liv some credit. She was the only UConn player today who hit the floor in the first half chasing after a loose ball.
  • The second half wasn’t a whole lot better, but it was good enough for UConn to escape with an important victory on the road against a difficult team to play against.
  • After falling short vs the top 3 teams in WBB, UConn’s immediate goal is to take care of business in the AAC, hope some other ranked teams stumble and somehow end up as either a #1 or #2 seed in the coveted Ft Wayne region. It’s unlikely any AAC team beats the Huskies in the State of CT, so it comes down to a couple potential trap games on the road: USF & Cincinnati. Today, the Huskies survived the first trap game against the Bulls.
  • After Anna’s second straight subpar game, and Aubrey’s solid 2nd half, I don’t know if Aubrey ends up in the starting lineup next game, but Geno has to give serious consideration to that lineup change.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I was listening in on the radio for the first half...depressing
Turned off to stream more entertainment L'ville / ND
Seems like they found a way to pull it back together in the 2nd half
Will watch replay

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was listening in on the radio for the first half...depressing
Turned off to stream more entertainment L'ville / ND
Seems like they found a way to pull it back together in the 2nd half
Will watch replay

It was hard to watch the first half. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It wasn’t a subpar game for Anna. It was a dreadful coaching job by Geno. Anna’s makes a slight mistake and gets pulled and USF rolls. Why not pull the three players who denied her assists in first few minutes. I watched her on the bench show a look that said, “When is the next flight to Poland?” The problem Geno has only one motivational technique—screaming and punishing. I suspect he may have ruined her. Crystal and Liv saved the day and it was Aubrey’s best performance. But this is the worst game I ever saw UConn play and I put it solely on miserable coaching.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Olivia was awesome the entire game. She continues to improve, and that's what you like to see.
Liv did a lot of good things today. I was really worried when she picked up her 3rd foul at the start of the 3rd qtr, but she demonstrated great poise in playing well the rest of the 2nd half without picking up another foul. Just wish Liv could stop shuffling her feet so much. She must of had 4-5 traveling calls today.

JBK

Reaction Score
Agreed
I think sometimes we underestimate what Aubrey does to disrupt the playmaker on the other team. I think she is fast and long enough to be a game changer on defense
I hope she continues to get time.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
It wasn’t a subpar game for Anna. It was a dreadful coaching job by Geno. Anna’s makes a slight mistake and gets pulled and USF rolls. Why not pull the three players who denied her assists in first few minutes. I watched her on the bench show a look that said, “When is the next flight to Poland?” The problem Geno has only one motivational technique—screaming and punishing. I suspect he may have ruined her. Crystal and Liv saved the day and it was Aubrey’s best performance. But this is the worst game I ever saw UConn play and I put it solely on miserable coaching.
Isn't hyperbole fun.

Reaction Score

Are you serious??

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Take some time to watch the game again. Anna couldn't keep up with the quick USF guards who were burying open 3's. Please find another place to vent.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Although frankly USF is not a good team, there were a bunch of things I saw this game I haven't seen often, and some things I'd never seen before.

1) Liv spun over her left shoulder twice this game. That nearly doubled the number of times she's done it all year.
2) Meg dribble drives and made a pocket pass to Liv for a basket. I'd hadn't seen Meg do that this year.
3) Liv rolled efficiently to the hoop after a high post screen and got two baskets. These were rare sightings. Although I've seen her roll off the screen she rarely does so efficiently, and never twice in one game. Sometimes she doesn't bother rolling at all. Liv also made a nice long shot that was nearly a 3. Her longest make of the year.
4) CW shot off of a low curl. I'd never seen that before this year. She didn't make the shot, but caught the defender by surprise and got the foul.
5) For the first time in 3 games UConn started to hustle, and for the first time in 3 games they started to get some loose balls.
6) Back to Liv, she did an up and under. Although it was to her right she made the basket.
7) AG attempted an open 3. Although she missed, she has to take those shots. Too often she's passed these up, and a couple of times this year it led to a shot clock violation.

Liv is incrementally improving, and she's working hard every minute she's in there. Liv takes a pounding inside, so guys, get used to it. CW has to at least attempt to make shots off curls and on the move. Not merely off of dribble drives and set shots. CD is going to need more time on the bench. She is also taking a pounding, and it's going to show come Dance Time. Ania has to play more at the 3, because she's getting schooled at the 2.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the USF game:
  • The Huskies had to dig down deep today to find a way against the Bulls. Kudos to Liv, Megan, Crystal and Aubrey, none of whom were great, but all of whom were good enough.
  • Not sure what to say about the first half of this game. Between the head-scratching turnovers, lack of movement on offense, defensive breakdowns, missed open jumpers & layups, this was an ugly, ugly half of basketball. I’ll give Liv some credit. She was the only UConn player today who hit the floor in the first half chasing after a loose ball.
  • The second half wasn’t a whole lot better, but it was good enough for UConn to escape with an important victory on the road against a difficult team to play against.
  • After falling short vs the top 3 teams in WBB, UConn’s immediate goal is to take care of business in the AAC, hope some other ranked teams stumble and somehow end up as either a #1 or #2 seed in the coveted Ft Wayne region. It’s unlikely any AAC team beats the Huskies in the State of CT, so it comes down to a couple potential trap games on the road: USF & Cincinnati. Today, the Huskies survived the first trap game against the Bulls.
  • After Anna’s second straight subpar game, and Aubrey’s solid 2nd half, I don’t know if Aubrey ends up in the starting lineup next game, but Geno has to give serious consideration to that lineup change.
Anna and Aubrey have each had an up and down freshman season. Each time you think they are about to break out, they revert back to their old ways. Based on todays performance, I would give Aubrey another start. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Reaction Score
Leave the starting lineup as it is, with Anna as a starter. Let Aubrey be the first off the bench. With her Athletic ability, she can easily sub in for Anna, Liv,, Megan or Christyn. I am sure that Anna will regain her shot and confidence. People have to remember that Anna and Aubrey are BOTH Freshman, and with such are going to have their ups and downs.

Reaction Score

Wrong. Nearly all of it. You need to go watch it again. Also, you clearly know nothing about Geno.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom