USF & Illinois discussing moving their game to Champaign | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USF & Illinois discussing moving their game to Champaign

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I can't take it! You can't defend putting more people in harms way that didn't need to be. The whole point is why the heck would they think traveling back was a good idea. The only possible logical reason is preserving options going into next week. Now why would they leave is another issue, and if there were underlying family emergencies other than coaches nailing shutters closed I get that. Otherwise it looks like it had zero to do with player safety and everything to do with prioritizing an out of conference game. We don't know everything, but the course of events and the reasons given point to either a lack of preparation and confusion, or boilerplate excuses. You need to be sensitive to family issues but this was not a player safety driven plan.

Why didn't USF need to be sensitive to family issues for all the teams that made their trips?

Their story can't withstand 5 seconds of logic.

Reaction Score
UConn should never left a single phone call with the AAC where this game is 'cancelled' and they aren't 2-0. They should have sent out press releases declaring themselves 2-0 because USF declined to travel to CT for the game. They should have forced the league's hand to deal with the fact that it's not a forfeit.

It's starting to look like we have the league we deserve.

Even if I agree with all your reasons for why this was really canceled, all doing that is going to do is create terrible press for UConn

Reaction Score
UConn should never left a single phone call with the AAC where this game is 'cancelled' and they aren't 2-0. They should have sent out press releases declaring themselves 2-0 because USF declined to travel to CT for the game. They should have forced the league's hand to deal with the fact that it's not a forfeit.

It's starting to look like we have the league we deserve.
PR nightmare. Not really worth it. They would get killed nationally. This is one of those things where I agree with you, but it just isn't worth making a stink over. You'd come off as selfish and lacking sympathy.

This may be one of those things, where through back channels, we come to an agreement that the league owes us one.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Even if I agree with all your reasons for why this was really canceled, all doing that is going to do is create terrible press for UConn

Oh I know why they can't and don't do it - but I do hope Dave is going berzerk behind the scenes.

I'm currently throwing out things as silly as USF's logic.

Reaction Score

Correct. It's up to the league to take a leadership role early in the week to go over workable options. Not wait until they moved the game up to 11:11 and said problem solved.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
PR nightmare. Not really worth it. They would get killed nationally. This is one of those things where I agree with you, but it just isn't worth making a stink over. You'd come off as selfish and lacking sympathy.

This may be one of those things, where through back channels, we come to an agreement that the league owes us one.

If we don't get anything tangible now for this they owe us a lot more than one.

The AAC needs to convince our TV partners our men's basketball program doesn't play Sundays on CBSSN or ESPNU for the entire season.

Reaction Score
Why didn't USF need to be sensitive to family issues for all the teams that made their trips?

Their story can't withstand 5 seconds of logic.

Unless you're Jerry1714. He's so much better, smarter and more empathetic than you and I. Just ask him, he'll tell you.

Reaction Score
I wonder if this is going to backfire on USF.

The Illinois game cant be rescheduled either.

If they can't fly out this week, or if they don't get enough practice time, they'll be out two games.

Reaction Score
They had set up a bad schedule - with trips to CT and IL within 6 days, and another game 6 days later.

FWIW - The Illinois game is scheduled as a home game in Tampa

Reaction Score
First time logging in today after 3 different hockey practices and.....holy crap!!! If Serano and Whaler are making sense on the same thread I either need counseling or need to begin self medicating with some Tito's immediately! I firmly believe that AD Dave will work this out... But in the mean time we need to relax and watch more NFL Football! I will say that considering the travel multiple travel schedules for other USF teams.... The optics don't look good for them right now.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The more information I have, the fact that other teams traveled, the more this reeks.

Aresco has to step in here.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. Aresco might as well be decked out in Bulls apparel waving green and gold pom poms for the cover photo on next season's USF media guide. He now commands the same level of respect as former Big East commish Marinatto...none at all.

Reaction Score
Did the Rays cancel their series in Boston this weekend so they could be safe and sound in the middle of a hurricane?
Does Major League Baseball prohibit the Rays from paying for players' families to travel with the team to safety as the NCAA explicitly prohibits USF from doing? Do the Rays players not get paid a single dollar, as the USF players don't, or do they make hundreds of thousands if not millions per year which gives the individual players far more ability to fly their families out of Tampa and to safety?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
In this situation, I would find it hard to believe that playing in Solider Field limits the ability to move that game. There is pretty good evidence that the game can be moved.

My guess is that USF cancelled the game game due to concerns that they'd be flying back on Saturday evening with extreme wind conditions present at the airport. I don't know why they felt it was important to be on campus (or possibly in a shelter) while the hurricane passed through, but whatever. The storm eye is leaving Florida in the afternoon on Monday, so they'll have several days to recover and reassess. If the florida airports are wrecked, then the game's off either way.

If USF accepts the Illini's offer to move the game to Champaign-Urbana, watch them move heaven and earth to get there. No useable airport in Tampa? No problem. They'll take the train, buses, RVs, airport rental car vans, hitchhike, whatever it takes to get to that game in Illinois. Just watch.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First time logging in today after 3 different hockey practices and.....holy crap!!! If Serano and Whaler are making sense on the same thread I either need counseling or need to begin self medicating with some Tito's immediately! I firmly believe that AD Dave will work this out... But in the mean time we need to relax and watch more NFL Football! I will say that considering the travel multiple travel schedules for other USF teams.... The optics don't look good for them right now.

Yeah remember when me and Serrano thought Diaco was awesome.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Does Major League Baseball prohibit the Rays from paying for players' families to travel with the team to safety as the NCAA explicitly prohibits USF from doing? Do the Rays players not get paid a single dollar, as the USF players don't, or do they make hundreds of thousands if not millions per year which gives the individual players far more ability to fly their families out of Tampa and to safety?

Do the Rays, Panthers and Marlins players actually own tens of millions of dollars of property in those locations? Oh yeah they do.

Are you proposing that the Bulls' football players are home with their families and not on campus? Let's see that evidence.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If USF accepts the Illini's offer to move the game to Champaign-Urbana, watch them move heaven and earth to get there. No useable airport in Tampa? No problem. They'll take the train, buses, RVs, airport rental car vans, hitchhike, whatever it takes to get to that game in Illinois. Just watch.

It will be tough driving 90 minutes to Orlando.

Reaction Score
Do the Rays, Panthers and Marlins players actually own tens of millions of dollars of property in those locations? Oh yeah they do.

Are you proposing that the Bulls' football players are home with their families and not on campus? Let's see that evidence.
I am not proposing that, but as far as I can tell from reading NCAA rules allowing players' families to shelter on campus with them in university facilities (dorms/football facilities/etc.) is not against NCAA policy. Paying for them to fly to CT with the team and stay for X period of time is against NCAA policy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am not proposing that, but as far as I can tell from reading NCAA rules allowing players' families to shelter on campus with them in university facilities (dorms/football facilities/etc.) is not against NCAA policy. Paying for them to fly to CT with the team and stay for X period of time is against NCAA policy.

I guess all the other athletes sent off for meaningless soccer and golf matches should be really upset.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Karma would be for the NCAA to decide to move the championship week back one week and allow all games from this past weekend to be made up that weekend. USF would get to travel to CT for a snow game.

That said, karma hates us as evidenced by conference realignment.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
No way they would have tried to fly back Saturday. They would have stayed in Connecticut and returned Tuesday morning.

I can understand the concerns over disrupted schedules, but it clearly demonstrates that USF places a low priority on football games against UConn. We can't get out of this conference soon enough, there is no willingness to sacrifice for a conference mate.
THIS. ^^^^^^^. 1000X
Get us out of this Winn Dixie C-USA inbred conference please

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom