USF & Illinois discussing moving their game to Champaign | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USF & Illinois discussing moving their game to Champaign

Reaction Score
The fact that USF felt perfectly fine sending their women's golf and tennis teams away for the weekend should make you only admit one of 2 things:

USF cancelled purely for football reasons

Or

USF doesn't give a damn about the safety of the women's golf and tennis teams.

Pick one.

I think they care more about the women's golf/tennis teams and got them out of Dodge;)

I also think size does matter in some respects - golf team/tennis teams travel party would be less than 10 +/- for each.

This was a football, $$ and logistics issue.

Gotta wonder how much behind the scenes second guessing is going on now in the AD office.

C

Chief00

As we watch USF defy logic to not play the UConn game and then do everything in their power to make sure they play the Illinois game maybe it will become clearer for folks?
The aftermath a couple days after the storm - when they would travel - is a lot worse than last Thursday - when they could have traveled to UConn.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We are on day 3 of this and nothing has changed.

They could have played the game.
There is always some excuse not to play it.
They chose not to play it.
Their is a viable plan to reschedule it if the AAC demands it.
UConn being made whole financially for the lost home game should be the minimum restitution.

Reaction Score
I've been going back and forth on this, but the fact that they closed the Tampa Airport at 8:00PM Saturday makes it the right call. No guarantees they could have gotten home by then.

C

Chief00

It's not a vast consipracy it's just about football and they are hiding behind nonsensical reasoning that people like you are defending because it's got the word 'family' in it.

Playing UConn does nothing for them. Hurts their SOS.

Playing Illinois lets them say they beat a Big Ten team.

It's seriously this simple.

That the pathetic 'P6' league is a party to it is an embarrassment.

Confirmed.

Reaction Score
The fact that USF felt perfectly fine sending their women's golf and tennis teams away for the weekend should make you only admit one of 2 things:

Or

Pick one.
And UConn should be pursuing an alternate date to reschedule or forcing a forfeit

pj

Reaction Score
I've been going back and forth on this, but the fact that they closed the Tampa Airport at 8:00PM Saturday makes it the right call. No guarantees they could have gotten home by then.

No way they would have tried to fly back Saturday. They would have stayed in Connecticut and returned Tuesday morning.

I can understand the concerns over disrupted schedules, but it clearly demonstrates that USF places a low priority on football games against UConn. We can't get out of this conference soon enough, there is no willingness to sacrifice for a conference mate.

Reaction Score
I am honestly shocked by the stupidity of this thread.

I'm honestly shocked you bought the flimsy excuses put out by USF. But hey, get up there on that soapbox and tell me how much better you are than everyone else.

Reaction Score
Telling me you're smarter than me is any different than telling me you're better than me, how?
Well I guess I am both than. Go back in your cave and keep believing USF avoided the game because they did not want to play UConn. Keep chewing on those rocks.

Reaction Score
Well I guess I am both than. Go back in your cave and keep believing USF avoided the game because they did not want to play UConn. Keep chewing on those rocks.

Ok sure. Only I never said that USF avoided the game because they didn't want to play UCONN. You did. I just said that USF put out flimsy excuses and you, in your attempt to be the most empathetic person on earth, bought it wholesale.

Reaction Score
Ok sure. Only I never said that USF avoided the game because they didn't want to play UCONN. You did. I just said that USF put out flimsy excuses and you, in your attempt to be the most empathetic person on earth, bought it wholesale.
Not empathetic, I just have a brain. Excuses imply they did not cancel the game due to the Hurricane, but because they did not want to play it for another reason, try to keep up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not empathetic, I just have a brain. Excuses imply they did not cancel the game due to the Hurricane, but because they did not want to play it for another reason, try to keep up.

They cancelled the game because they didn't want to play 2 games in 6 days with the distraction of the storm and what it would do their travel.

Since the UConn game has less impact to their quest to be the G5 rep - it's the one that got cancelled.

The only other conclusion one could reach is that they are the stupidest people in the world because they keep talking about safety and chose to stay in the path of the storm.

You make the call.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As for this insurance policy - I hope they confirmed their claim is geting is getting paid because you are going to have a heck of time explaining why the game couldn't get played.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn should never left a single phone call with the AAC where this game is 'cancelled' and they aren't 2-0. They should have sent out press releases declaring themselves 2-0 because USF declined to travel to CT for the game. They should have forced the league's hand to deal with the fact that it's not a forfeit.

It's starting to look like we have the league we deserve.

Reaction Score

Or

Pick one.
Or, the golf team is scheduled to travel back on Tuesday since the event ends Monday night and the tennis team is scheduled to come back Wednesday since the event ends Tuesday night. Not Saturday night right before the storm.

But keep grasping

Reaction Score
Or, the golf team is scheduled to travel back on Tuesday since the event ends Monday night and the tennis team is scheduled to come back Wednesday since the event ends Tuesday night. Not Saturday night right before the storm.

But keep grasping

How about the men's soccer team who traveled back from Creighton yesterday? They're staying in ATL until it's safe to return.

I usually agree with you on most things but when you go off the reservation you go full stupid.

Reaction Score
It really isn't acceptable to cancel the game and not reschedule. It is unfair to UConn, unfair to our fans and it completely diminishes our chances to have a special season. We have a couple of chances for a win over a ranked opponent and one is now gone. The Rent is a tough place to play. USF is dodging a bullet here and we are taking a bullet.

Reaction Score
Nobody wants to play football with a competitive disadvantage (distracted by storm, heart not in game) so they canceled the game that for them was a no-win situation. Add to that practice time for Illinois and it becomes obvious why they canceled. USF had other sports teams travel so there you go.

Here's the question, would you do the same thing in Charlie Strong's shoes (a first year coach at USF with pressure to have a great season)? To be fair I probably would have canceled the game so I can't complain about it. But make no mistake this was about wins and losses and the pressure to win.

Aresco, UCONN, and USF should do everything in their power to get this game rescheduled, no stone unturned.

The more information I have, the fact that other teams traveled, the more this reeks.

Aresco has to step in here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hey you know we could go to the GD access bowl? But nah the league played the games in their heads already.

Reaction Score

I can't take it! You can't defend putting more people in harms way that didn't need to be. The whole point is why the heck would they think traveling back was a good idea. The only possible logical reason is preserving options going into next week. Now why would they leave is another issue, and if there were underlying family emergencies other than coaches nailing shutters closed I get that. Otherwise it looks like it had zero to do with player safety and everything to do with prioritizing an out of conference game. We don't know everything, but the course of events and the reasons given point to either a lack of preparation and confusion, or boilerplate excuses. You need to be sensitive to family issues but this was not a player safety driven plan. What the soccer team did was to prioritize player safety. This was something else entirely.

USF Soccer_Training_01.PNG

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom