USF GAME THREAD

Reaction Score
upload_2017-3-6_21-41-39.png

upload_2017-3-6_21-54-19.png

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Beauty of this year's UConn team is whoever opponent makes extra effort guarding, there is another great option. Collier's and William's best offensive games came after some of Lou's highest scoring outputs. When you concentrate on Lou, Collier typically has high numbers. Tonight, emphasis was on clogging the middle-we know the results. All three are an offensive engine-all parts work together.
Excellent point. I'm sure USF was focused on stopping Collier after she went off for 39 last week so they sagged inside and gave Lou a little more space at the arc. Pick your poison.

Reaction Score
KLS reminds me of Doug Collins of the sixers. At 6-6 and being a guard, he was a rare sight in that Era. He was slight of build but as tough as nails.
Doug Collins could have been one of the best of all time....but alas, injuries.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to find out what the record for consecutive threes over several games. Does KLS already have the record? I can't find that stat anywhere.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
If she does, I'm inclined to think it'll have more to do with the talent of the cast more so than her being better than Mo. She's good but she's not even close to Mo good but I know some people will say that Mo, when she was a freshman, wasn't the same Mo that was the second draft pick in the WNBA draft. I stick to my believe that she'll never be the player that Mo was (is).

You forget how Mo was in her first year. Maybe not even as good as Crystal.

Reaction Score
Doug Collins could have been one of the best of all time....but alas, injuries.
With a bit of Doug in mind, was I the only one who winced most of the trips Kia took limping up court? Other than that one hopefully minor point, wonderful night of basketball! Could be one of the top 3 UConn games I have seen.

Reaction Score
Beauty of this year's UConn team is whoever opponent makes extra effort guarding, there is another great option. Collier's and William's best offensive games came after some of Lou's highest scoring outputs. When you concentrate on Lou, Collier typically has high numbers. Tonight, emphasis was on clogging the middle-we know the results. All three are an offensive engine-all parts work together.

And the beauty is- We have legit others that can make terrific plays. Nurse is a sold of a player as the come. Saniya has been such a great performer this year. What a great sr year she has had. I'm so thrilled for her. And Danger as nice player off the bench. And Nat able to compete vs other elite bigs.

What a year.

What A TEAM.

Leading up to this point this team surpassed all my expectations.

Reaction Score
Excellent point. I'm sure USF was focused on stopping Collier after she went off for 39 last week so they sagged inside and gave Lou a little more space at the arc. Pick your poison.

On the radio pregame - Geno said he expected that USF would try to clog the middle of the lane this time to account for Collier.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The reality is Geno wants teams to try to contain one of his players. That opens it up for the other 4 plus the bench. One of the reasons we are undefeated is that on any given night anyone of our starters can torch you. Youhave to pick your poison and hope you are right.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
KLS reminds me of Doug Collins of the sixers. At 6-6 and being a guard, he was a rare sight in that Era. He was slight of build but as tough as nails.

And very quick. Doug was at Illinois State when I was finishing my broadcasting degree there in the early 70's. I got to do a couple of his more memorable games on WGLT. He was, and is, a really centered and kind fellow. As a "by the way," of all the college games I've seen or broadcast in fifty years, I never saw anyone use the glass from farther out and with greater accuracy. He didn't take bad shots; he could drop it in from most anywhere.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
In his rookie year in the NBA, their was another rookie who was killing Collins in practice. Outplayed him in constantly. So, he demanded that he should be paid as much as Collins. However, Collins was their "Golden Boy" and no way were the higher ups of the team, I believe it was Philadelphia, going to let someone take the spotlight away from Collins. I believe the first name of the other was Dwight. Philly put him on the inactive list and would not allow him to play for any other team, effectively ending his career. That was not unusual in those days.

Reaction Score
How does KLS win best conference tournament player but left off the all tournament team? Especially after Samuelson finished with a tournament record 71 points – the old mark was 67 – averaging 23.6 points per game. She was 21-of-36 attempts from the field. Not a big deal in the scheme of things but how does this happen?

Reaction Score
You forget how Mo was in her first year. Maybe not even as good as Crystal.
Didn't you read my comment. I said that someone would say exactly what you did and my retort to that proposed question is that I don't think that Crystal will evolve into the ballplayer that Mo has become. We won't know for a while if I'm right but I know her job will be easier next year because I think next years team may be the most talented in the history of women's college basketball history so she'll have many players that have the ability to take any pass she throws and convert them into baskets. Even mediocre or bad ones at the feet of 6ft 5 players.

Reaction Score
How does KLS win best conference tournament player but left off the all tournament team? Especially after Samuelson finished with a tournament record 71 points – the old mark was 67 – averaging 23.6 points per game. She was 21-of-36 attempts from the field. Not a big deal in the scheme of things but how does this happen?
She wasn't left off the all tournament team. When you win the MOP of the tournament, you are on the all tournament team and they don't need to be redundant and name you again.

Reaction Score
Last nights game was pretty and Amazing. I thought we killed them at XL but the first 3 quarters last night was pretty special.

This was the uconn A plus game. KLS was unbelievable, words can't explain. Why would Geno take her out??!!?!? Let the girl break the record!! At least let her miss a shot! IMO she has the scoring record with 40 in under 3 quarters!

I hope Geno gives Kia some time off and a ton of treatment to truly get better.

On to Bridgeport!!

Reaction Score
She was most outstanding player. Doesn't that count?

Reaction Score
Just watched the game video after seeing the game live last night. A few comments:
The crowd microphone was apparently near the USF band. Lots more noise for UConn than was heard in the video. It was a great atmosphere.
That steal by Gabby at the top of the key was awesome! I had a terrific view of it. The crowd went nuts.
Most "Loooooo-ing" I have heard from a crowd. Fun!
The defense was intense with quick switches that totally frustrated USF.
Lots of great play aside from Lou! I thought Kia played better but still wasn't confident about the ankle. First time in a while I have been glad for the long wait for the NCAA tourney.
The crowd noise during the Geno interview was because they initially had the ESPN feed on the scoreboard. Then the sound and then the picture cut out so we were not happy to miss the interview.
Enjoyed listening to Rebecca and Bob on the replay. (though I didn't watch all of the 4th!)

Reaction Score
She was most outstanding player. Doesn't that count?

Of course, but I was just confused as to why she was left off the AC tourn team. Like i said, not a big deal in the scheme of things but was curious as to why. Buzzboy pointed out she is automatically on...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With a bit of Doug in mind, was I the only one who winced most of the trips Kia took limping up court? Other than that one hopefully minor point, wonderful night of basketball! Could be one of the top 3 UConn games I have seen.

The first half of this game, and the first half of the DePaul game were two of their best this season. I guess it would become boring if UConn played that way EVERY game. The outcome would never be a question, and after a while, we would bore because of the lack of competition. That, and no one would want to play UConn. It's hard to get teams to sign up for a 100% certain whuppin'. I noticed the look on some of the USF players last night in the first quarter. They already had that "defeated" look and body language about them. They had to be thinking.......not again. :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom