USC Gamecocks 2024-25 Season: Part Two | Page 7 | The Boneyard

USC Gamecocks 2024-25 Season: Part Two

Reaction Score

This was pretty fun. Not surprised of the starting lineup

Me neither. Nobody should be. I know some people would have Joyce or Milaysia playing, but this is the best starting lineup.

I gathered Joyce will play. Adhel may play a bit. Maddy won’t play tonight.

Reaction Score
I'm most excited to see how our newcomers fit into the existing structure. Everyone lights up when they talk about Tac, both on a personal and professional level.

Bookmark this: Tac and Edwards seem like the future faces of the program with the potential of becoming the best 4/5 duo in program history by the time they graduate.

Also to note, with no Cardoso or Watkins, our guards are becoming the face of the program. It's been a while (since Tiffany Mitchell?) where our guards are getting more awards and recognition than our forwards and centers.

Reaction Score
So:
PG: Raven -Milaysia

SG: Tehina- Milaysia - Tessa

Wing: Bree - Tessa

SF: Chloe - Joyce - Dauda

P: Sania - Dauda - Adhel - Sakima

Injured Reserve - Maddy

It will be interesting to see if any of the bigs spend any minutes at wing.

Reaction Score
I'd like to know why Tac might not play even though she's available.

Best starting frontcourt... hmm:

Aja Wilson + Alaina Coates.

Kiki Herbert-Harrigan + Aliyah Boston

Kitts or Watkins + Cardoso

I'd say 2,1,3.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@triaddukefan how are you faring in NC? Were you in the path of the storm? I just read there are 200 confirmed deaths with hundreds of people still missing and unaccounted for in the Western North Carolina region. As bad as we have had it here, it looks like your state got it 10x worse.

No issues in my part of the state. Still heartbroken seeing all the pain and suffering the state is still going through. Places i visited just last year wiped out. Some bit of good news., the number of unaccounted for is reported to be down to 81 as of today.

I knew it.......... :eek:

Chubby fingers and phones don't always mix :oops:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
For those of you who stay up past 9, there will be an exhibition game against Memphis on ESPN+ at 9:30 tonight.
Thanks for posting this--caught the 2nd quarter. SC playing well but it looks like an exhibition game thus far. To no surprise, they're just outmuscling Memphis in the paint. Joyce Edwards has a double double already, Chloe Kitts is closing in on one as well. Perimeter shooting (and perimeter defense) weren't great in Q2 but they still extended the lead to 18. SC with a ton of blocks too despite no Cardoso/Watkins. Memphis is scrapping and playing hard though. Fun to watch so far.

Reaction Score
Why? She hasn’t been a starter before.
She is far and away the best player on the team. Starting someone because they are a vet; I would just be surprised if Dawn went that route.

I think she is a contender for player of the year. That’s how good I think she is. Player of the year being a 6 man would be strange.

Reaction Score
It’s an exhibition game. But I just can’t wrap my mind around Fulwiley not being a starter.
I thought she would steal Paopao's spot but Paopao looks like she has stepped up her game both defensively and offensively. Paopao also looks a lot more athletic and quick on her feet. She and T. Johnson are noticably more toned. They seemed to have transformed their bodies in the off-season, cutting some body fat and building some muscle.

Joyce Edwards with a double double in the first half in what felt like less than 10 minutes of play. Her game reminds me of Angel Reece in both the positive and negative aspects -- relentless motor, instinctual rebounder, defensively smart, but not a high shooting percentage and prone to dumb fouls. Hopefully, the negative aspects of her game are just symptoms of becoming acclimated to the college game. It's also a pretty small sampling, so it could also be general abnormalities due to jitters or the low stakes of an exhibition game.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
She is far and away the best player on the team. Starting someone because they are a vet; I would just be surprised if Dawn went that route.

I think she is a contender for player of the year. That’s how good I think she is. Player of the year being a 6 man would be strange.

Didn't look like it tonight. She's as athletic and talented as anyone in the country, but from the exhibition she still looks eager to go for the flashy highlight play rather than the most effective one. I don't expect her to start unless SC underwhelms and needs a lineup change to shake things up. I also don't see SC having a true POY candidate this year with so much depth and balance. Last year they were undefeated but only had Kamila Cardoso make 2nd team. This year they're even deeper.

Also--random tidbits, but in regards to All Americans or a POY coming off the bench, I don't think Maya Moore started her freshmen year until upperclassmen got injured. She finished 2nd in the country in POY voting that year. Dawn also brought A'ja Wilson off the bench as a freshman and A'ja earned AA honors that year.

Reaction Score

I don't see that at all.

It's not how SCar is built.

I'm genuinely not sure who the best player on the team is.

Reaction Score
Didn't look like it tonight. She's as athletic and talented as anyone in the country, but from the exhibition she still looks eager to go for the flashy highlight play rather than the most effective one. I don't expect her to start unless SC underwhelms and needs a lineup change to shake things up. I also don't see SC having a true POY candidate this year with so much depth and balance. Last year they were undefeated but only had Kamila Cardoso make 2nd team. This year they're even deeper.

Also--random tidbits, but in regards to All Americans or a POY coming off the bench, I don't think Maya Moore started her freshmen year until upperclassmen got injured. She finished 2nd in the country in POY voting that year. Dawn also brought A'ja Wilson off the bench as a freshman and A'ja earned AA honors that year.

I agree, but Cardoso should have been first team. She was the best center.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
SC shellacked Memphis in the 2nd half. Their size was overwhelming and they looked really solid across the board. Notables for SC:

Joyce Edwards- @GamecockFam mentioned Angel Reese as a comparison which I thought was apt, though I think Edwards has better touch than Angel around the basket. I'll toss out another comparison: I thought she looked like another young Nneka. Not the tallest but an explosive athlete, great rebounder, high motor and limited range offensively. She's going to be extremely good and a big contributor this year. When she picks up a mid range she's going to be unstoppable.

Adhel Tac-I also really liked her game. She is a big 6-5 and ran the floor very well on a couple of plays. She's raw and likely isn't going to be a major contributor this year but her upside is massive. Loved that she caught a pass high and immediately went to finish never bringing the ball down or taking much time to gather. She didn't play much but stuck out to me when she was out there, though having long red braids probably contributed to that lol.

Sakima Walker-she battled hard but doesn't appear to be close to the level of the other bigs IMO.

Chloe Kitts-really active, looked similar to how she played much of last year.

All 11 players for SC scored 6+ points. Terrific balance across the board and I thought the ball movement and overall offensive flow was impressive, especially for an exhibition game at this point in time. Fulwiley went down with an ankle injury but appeared to walk it off.

Reaction Score
I thought she would steal Paopao's spot but Paopao looks like she has stepped up her game both defensively and offensively. Paopao also looks a lot more athletic and quick on her feet. She and T. Johnson are noticably more toned. They seemed to have transformed their bodies in the off-season, cutting some body fat and building some muscle.

Joyce Edwards with a double double in the first half in what felt like less than 10 minutes of play. Her game reminds me of Angel Reece in both the positive and negative aspects -- relentless motor, instinctual rebounder, defensively smart, but not a high shooting percentage and prone to dumb fouls. Hopefully, the negative aspects of her game are just symptoms of becoming acclimated to the college game. It's also a pretty small sampling, so it could also be general abnormalities due to jitters or the low stakes of an exhibition game.

Edwards was 19 and 12 in 19 minutes on better than 50% shooting and only had two fouls. Two assists and 0 turnovers.

In her first appearance.

What an odd take.

Reaction Score
I thought Tessa and Kitts looked noticeably stronger and quicker. Pao too.

Thought Feagin looked good and improved.

Tac looks considerably more imposing than Sakima Walker. I think they will give Walker some minutes early on and will need to keep her warm for potential duty against giant centers, but seems like Tac will pass her.

I'd agree that Tac has big potential. I think she's the only big that has a Cardoso/Boston defensive presence.

Thought Daufa did nice things but looked like she's still figuring out what to do.

Raven, Hall, and Fulwiley looked like themselves but not their best showcase.

Reaction Score
SC shellacked Memphis in the 2nd half. Their size was overwhelming and they looked really solid across the board. Notables for SC:

Joyce Edwards- @GamecockFam mentioned Angel Reese as a comparison which I thought was apt, though I think Edwards has better touch than Angel around the basket. I'll toss out another comparison: I thought she looked like another young Nneka. Not the tallest but an explosive athlete, great rebounder, high motor and limited range offensively. She's going to be extremely good and a big contributor this year. When she picks up a mid range she's going to be unstoppable.

Adhel Tac-I also really liked her game. She is a big 6-5 and ran the floor very well on a couple of plays. She's raw and likely isn't going to be a major contributor this year but her upside is massive. Loved that she caught a pass high and immediately went to finish never bringing the ball down or taking much time to gather. She didn't play much but stuck out to me when she was out there, though having long red braids probably contributed to that lol.

Sakima Walker-she battled hard but doesn't appear to be close to the level of the other bigs IMO.

Chloe Kitts-really active, looked similar to how she played much of last year.

All 11 players for SC scored 6+ points. Terrific balance across the board and I thought the ball movement and overall offensive flow was impressive, especially for an exhibition game at this point in time. Fulwiley went down with an ankle injury but appeared to walk it off.
Great write up. The point about the balance and ball movement is so on point. As a UConn fan this is what I anticipate will drive me mad about our team this year. I'll be truly bummed if we don't play at least 9. But anyways the trick with SC is everyone really gets a shot to play their game. I know it's an exhibition. But everyone who stepped on the court just seems empowered and got to show their game for better or for worse. They all shined. All made mistakes but played through it. They do establish the inside but it almost doesn't even feel like their is a pecking order. Of course that can be a gift and a curse, especially in close moments and big games.

Reaction Score
Edwards was 19 and 12 in 19 minutes on better than 50% shooting and only had two fouls. Two assists and 0 turnovers.

In her first appearance.

What an odd take.
My observations went beyond the stats. Also my post was made at halftime. In the first half she has a few uncalled fouls that could have easily been put on her depending on the reffing crew (or maybe the refs were more relaxed because it was an exhibition game). She played a little out of control at times due to her motor and, like Reece, had a few possessions where she just flung the ball up at the hoop without much technique. In the second half she was a more accurate shooter and played aggressively but controlled. So she looked less like Reece and I expect it was just first game jitters in the first half. Either way, she looks like she'll be getting lots of playing time and will be one of those players who's role increases as the season progresses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom