USA wins, UConn shines & Arike shoots (a lot)... | The Boneyard

USA wins, UConn shines & Arike shoots (a lot)...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
UConn USA team 2019.jpeg

USA dominated Colombia 88-46 on their way to a 2nd straight victory in the FIBA Americup in Puerto Rico. UConn graduates (and 1 current roster member) registered outstanding performances in both games by scoring, rebounding, and making key baskets. Arike, from that school that only has 2 National Championships, led the team in shots in the 1st game and was 2nd in attempts in the 2nd. :D

The 1st game was a 110-31 thrashing of Paraguay. UConn players outscored Paraguay 33-31 with Olivia, Stef and Pheesa hitting a combined 13-17 shots from the field. Arike hoisted a team-leading 13 shots and made 7 to score 19 points. Her lone assist was probably a mistake. ;)

Today's opponent, Columbia, was more competitive, but couldn't handle USA's inside game. Big Syl scored 22 points on just 13 shots, all from the lane. UConn stars Dolson, Collier and ONO were 2nd, 3rd and 4th in scoring with 13, 11 and 10 points. They were combined 14-21 from the field. Liv also had a game high 8 rebounds. Interestingly, the Huskies had 5 of USA's 6 three-point baskets with Pheesa (3-3) leading the way. Dolson and Lou had two other threes. Arike put up 9 shots, but only made 2 for five points. :rolleyes: In all fairness, she did have 5 assists today.

Next game is at 5:30 tomorrow against Argentina. USA should win, UConn grads should shine and Arike probably will shoot a ton. :cool:

Go Huskies..!!

P.S. - Tina Charles also had a great game.
She scored 6 points on 2-3 shooting and had 7 assists (2nd on the team).
P.S.S. - DeShields scored 20 in the opener, but mysteriously went 0-3 in today's game.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
View attachment 46614
USA dominated Columbia 88-46 on their way to a 2nd straight victory in the FIBA Americup in Puerto Rico. UConn graduates (and 1 current roster member) registered outstanding performances in both games by scoring, rebounding, and making key baskets. Arike, from that school that only has 2 National Championships, led the team in shots in the 1st game and was 2nd in attempts in the 2nd. :D

The 1st game was a 110-31 thrashing of Paraguay. UConn players outscored Paraguay 33-31 with Olivia, Stef and Pheesa hitting a combined 13-17 shots from the field. Arike hoisted a team-leading 13 shots and made 7 to score 19 points. Her lone assist was probably a mistake. ;)

Today's opponent, Columbia, was more competitive, but couldn't handle USA's inside game. Big Syl scored 22 points on just 13 shots, all from the lane. UConn stars Dolson, Collier and ONO were 2nd, 3rd and 4th in scoring with 13, 11 and 10 points. They were combined 14-21 from the field. Interestingly, the Huskies had 5 of USA's 6 three-point baskets with Pheesa (3-3) leading the way. Dolson and Lou had the other threes. Arike put up 9 shots, but only made 2 for five points. :rolleyes: In all fairness, she did have 5 assists today.

Next game is at 5:30 tomorrow against Argentina. USA should win, UConn grads should shine and Arike probably will shoot a ton. :cool:

Go Huskies..!!

I mentioned it in the main Americup thread but what happened to Deshields? :confused: She played 16 minutes but her stat line is invisible?

Reaction Score
Not a matter of cosmic importance, but in looking at the picture I notice a
correlation between age and length of shorts. Jen's pretty much cover the
knee, DT's and Sue's are just above the knee. The youngest are about mid
thigh and Tina and Stef are just a bit longer. I suppose this just reflects a
slow evolution in lengths with time.

If Geno is wearing shorts, they go down to the ankle (maintaining the correlation).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
View attachment 46614
USA dominated Columbia 88-46 on their way to a 2nd straight victory in the FIBA Americup in Puerto Rico. UConn graduates (and 1 current roster member) registered outstanding performances in both games by scoring, rebounding, and making key baskets. Arike, from that school that only has 2 National Championships, led the team in shots in the 1st game and was 2nd in attempts in the 2nd. :D

Today's opponent, Columbia, was more competitive, but couldn't handle USA's inside game. Big Syl scored 22 points on just 13 shots, all from the lane. UConn stars Dolson, Collier and ONO were 2nd, 3rd and 4th in scoring with 13, 11 and 10 points. They were combined 14-21 from the field. Interestingly, the Huskies had 5 of USA's 6 three-point baskets with Pheesa (3-3) leading the way. Dolson and Lou had two other threes. Arike put up 9 shots, but only made 2 for five points. :rolleyes: In all fairness, she did have 5 assists today.

Go Huskies..!!

Tina had 7 assists.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not a matter of cosmic importance, but in looking at the picture I notice a
correlation between age and length of shorts. Jen's pretty much cover the
knee, DT's and Sue's are just above the knee. The youngest are about mid
thigh and Tina and Stef are just a bit longer. I suppose this just reflects a
slow evolution in lengths with time.

and the general law of nature that the older you get, the less you want to show. ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
First, here's the U.S.A. Basketball release on the game. If you go to it, you can click on a slew of things, including the boxscore.

And, here's some video highlights from the U.S.A. Basketball site:

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Can't overstate how good this is for Olivia's development. Not only is she practicing against Stef, Tina and Sylvia, but she's actually being productive in games. Even tho the competition is not good, she's confident enough to get into position to score, and then to take her shots (not just deferring to the WNBA Olympians she's on the floor with)...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Can't overstate how good this is for Olivia's development. Not only is she practicing against Stef, Tina and Sylvia, but she's actually being productive in games. Even tho the competition is not good, she's confident enough to get into position to score, and then to take her shots (not just deferring to the WNBA Olympians she's on the floor with)...

1569361311331.png

I agree 100%. How can she compete at this level, and that experience not carryover to the upcoming season, especially when she's holding her own out there? When you associate, you assimilate. She's become one of the girls (the USA team). She runs with them.........grown professional women some of the best players in the world who are all her senior.

It will be a BIG step down in the level of competition when Liv returns to college. She’s long and lean and is just now beginning to understand and appreciate how to use her body to her best advantage. Anyone here think she won't have a breakout year this year? Anyone here think she won't start?

If they look for her on the block every once in a while, she can do a lot of damage this year. I think Liv can very easily average a double-double this year. I expect her to lead the team in rebounds this year.............by a lot. Oh, and that sophomore leap..................fugedaboudit!! ;) She's already made it. I think she’ll be one of the standout players this year that WCBB analysts will be talking about.

The scary thing is Liv's confidence is going to be through the roof come March. I'm not saying that she'll make AA this season (I've got my fingers crossed), but she, Williams, Walker and Dangerfield should play well enough to receive some serious consideration. :)

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I love Arike bashing as much as the next guy but on the highlights, she is helping out the UConn players with nice assists to Dolson and Olivia. :eek:

Just to take that one other step, Arike, Stef and Olivia all seem to be wearing USA uniforms and are playing well together. When I see that, I dunno, I tend to root for all of them for obvious reasons ;) . As pointed out, Arike did take her shots (so she did her duck thing, as Orangutan pointed out), but she also had five assists and six rebounds and that one very nice steal which she parlayed into a basket. So the quacker (or chucker, if you'd like) can also swim and fly a bit, (to stay with the analogy).

Switching to LSU alums, tip of the hat to Sylvia Fowles for being a BIG. A really good one.

And kudos to all the players, who all seemed (save Sessions) to get some solid minutes. Keep it going.
Thanks fo all posters -- particularly UConnCat -- for keeping us up to speed on this!

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
View attachment 46614

Today's opponent, Columbia, was more competitive, but couldn't handle USA's inside game. Big Syl scored 22 points on just 13 shots, all from the lane. UConn stars Dolson, Collier and ONO were 2nd, 3rd and 4th in scoring with 13, 11 and 10 points. They were combined 14-21 from the field. Liv also had a game high 8 rebounds. Interestingly, the Huskies had 5 of USA's 6 three-point baskets with Pheesa (3-3) leading the way. Dolson and Lou had two other threes. Arike put up 9 shots, but only made 2 for five points. :rolleyes: In all fairness, she did have 5 assists today.

Go Huskies..!!

P.S. - Tina Charles also had a great game.
She scored 6 points on 2-3 shooting and had 7 assists (2nd on the team).
P.S.S. - DeShields scored 20 in the opener, but mysteriously went 0-3 in today's game.
"Her lone assist was probably a mistake." That is funny, but in all fairness everyone makes mistakes. But it is still funny as hell! ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I watched most of both games. In the first game, Diamond took the most shots and made most of them. She was far less aggressive today. Was she deferring today after showing out on Sunday? Arike took the second most shots on Sunday and made a reasonable percentage of them. With Arike's quickness and proclivity to shoot, she set up several nice assists today, including running the break with Stefanie. It looked strange, but it was effective. She has not been a chucker so far.

Most of the first quarter was a high-low game between Tina and Sylvia. Tina had open shots near the FT line, but she repeatedly found Syl in deep for an easier bucket. Tina also passed out to Stef for a bucket. Big Momma did her Allie Quigley impersonation by sinking several jump shots (6-6 overall). Phee did a little bit of everything, including hitting all three 3-pointers. She had 11 points and 5 boards. Lou hit one trey and is still looking for her shot, but she hustled, played defense, and led the team in O boards. I thought she looked good out there--she got more PT than she does in Chicago.

Olivia had 10 and 8 (she got a 9th rebound at the buzzer) in 14 minutes. She ran hard, altered shots, and looked to score. She took a 17-footer that spun out. She did commit a couple of cheap fouls, but she is aggressive and long. She is the youngest player on the team by 3 years, but did a very respectable job. The announcers said she will make a good pro--wait, she has 3 more years left at UConn.

For Triad--the play of the game was by Elizabeth Williams. She blocked a shot along the baseline and jumped to try to keep it from going out of bounds. She was able to corral it with one hand and threw a behind-the-back pass to a USA player, which started a fast break. It was a great combo of effort and skill.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
First, here's the U.S.A. Basketball release on the game. If you go to it, you can click on a slew of things, including the boxscore.

And, here's some video highlights from the U.S.A. Basketball site:
I see that the box score is more accurate than the verbiage of the article. It literally reads "With 31 assists and 22 points from Sylvia Fowles...". Fowles had 22 points and 31 assists? Really? No Pulitizer this year for this reporter!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I watched most of both games. In the first game, Diamond took the most shots and made most of them. She was far less aggressive today. Was she deferring today after showing out on Sunday? Arike took the second most shots on Sunday and made a reasonable percentage of them. With Arike's quickness and proclivity to shoot, she set up several nice assists today, including running the break with Stefanie. It looked strange, but it was effective. She has not been a chucker so far.

Most of the first quarter was a high-low game between Tina and Sylvia. Tina had open shots near the FT line, but she repeatedly found Syl in deep for an easier bucket. Tina also passed out to Stef for a bucket. Big Momma did her Allie Quigley impersonation by sinking several jump shots (6-6 overall). Phee did a little bit of everything, including hitting all three 3-pointers. She had 11 points and 5 boards. Lou hit one trey and is still looking for her shot, but she hustled, played defense, and led the team in O boards. I thought she looked good out there--she got more PT than she does in Chicago.

Olivia had 10 and 8 (she got a 9th rebound at the buzzer) in 14 minutes. She ran hard, altered shots, and looked to score. She took a 17-footer that spun out. She did commit a couple of cheap fouls, but she is aggressive and long. She is the youngest player on the team by 3 years, but did a very respectable job. The announcers said she will make a good pro--wait, she has 3 more years left at UConn.

For Triad--the play of the game was by Elizabeth Williams. She blocked a shot along the baseline and jumped to try to keep it from going out of bounds. She was able to corral it with one hand and threw a behind-the-back pass to a USA player, which started a fast break. It was a great combo of effort and skill.

OMG!! :eek: Now they're using Liv's name in the same breath as the word "pro"? That can wait. You're right, she has some unfinished business and lots more growth and development at the college level before she's ready to move on. When she does, she'll be ready. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Did Colombia have anybody over 6 foot?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Paz, the Columbia center, is 6’6”...... But, the rest are 5’11” or shorter. Paz had 4 fouls trying to stop Syl in the paint. The two best Colombian players are 5’8” and 5’9”......

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I watched most of both games.
Question for you, or anyone else who saw the game - when Olivia gets a pass or a rebound, does she immediately put the ball on the floor, or does she immediately go up to the basket? Obviously if she's too far out she needs to corral and take a dribble, but one mistake that almost all post players make is bringing the ball down after a catch (or o-bard) when they don't have to, leaving themselves open for a strip by shorter players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Question for you, or anyone else who saw the game - when Olivia gets a pass or a rebound, does she immediately put the ball on the floor, or does she immediately go up to the basket? Obviously if she's too far out she needs to corral and take a dribble, but one mistake that almost all post players make is bringing the ball down after a catch (or o-bard) when they don't have to, leaving themselves open for a strip by shorter players.

She is keeping the ball high and going up strong. Quick post decisions most of the time and she had a few impressive assists. She is very different imho

Interesting article on Liv making the team

Nelson-Ododa spent most of June and July back at UConn, studying micro and macro economics while also hitting the gym. She says her confidence has risen and her mentality is tougher.

“I can only do so much physically,” she said. “I think I did my part with that during the summer. I think the rest will just have to come with my mentality, and that’s also something I’ve been working on,” she said.

and if you want a professional opinion on how Liv is fitting in

So far, Collier, a driving force in UConn’s run to the Final Four last April, has noticed a difference.

“I think it’s really good for her to be here and for her to see kind of how it’s going to be for her once she gets into a (professional) league, and kind of bring that into the season this year,” Collier said. “She’s doing great so far.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom