USA wins, UConn shines & Arike shoots (a lot)... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA wins, UConn shines & Arike shoots (a lot)...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Paz, the Columbia center, is 6’6”. But, the rest are 5’11” or shorter. Paz had 4 fouls trying to stop Syl in the paint. The two best Colombian players are 5’8” and 5’9”.
Thanks! I didn't look at the roster. With the elevated camera angle, it's hard to say how tall anyone is. During Sunday's game, the announcers said that the USA was taller by an average of 4" per player. I thought Colombia might be closer to our size watching them contest Syl inside (though not all that effectively). But later, the announcers said they were 4" shorter than us on average as well. And Syl was the tallest player on the floor.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Question for you, or anyone else who saw the game - when Olivia gets a pass or a rebound, does she immediately put the ball on the floor, or does she immediately go up to the basket? Obviously if she's too far out she needs to corral and take a dribble, but one mistake that almost all post players make is bringing the ball down after a catch (or o-bard) when they don't have to, leaving themselves open for a strip by shorter players.
Liv was rather quick to the basket. She received some nice passes and went up immediately. On one play, she took one quick dribble and banked in the shot. She's making progress, but may slip into old habits from time to time.

On rebounds, Liv generally held the ball high--and no one could reach it.

On one play, Liv sprinted down the floor, got position, and scored. She ran by everyone.

She's not a finished product, but progress is evident. I look for nice development over the next 6 months.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
1569377286559.png

Fowles was unstoppable; Colombia had no one to match up with her.
Pheesa was a perfect 3-3 from the arc.
Jordin Canada had an impressive 8 assists and 3 steals in only 21 minutes.

Arike shot it poorly but otherwise (god forgive me for saying this) she did a lot of positive things on the court. Her 5 assists included a couple sweet no-look passes on the fast break to Olivia and Stef. On a side note, I've really noticed that she's dropped quite a bit of extra weight since her college days.

Reaction Score
View attachment 46627

Fowles was unstoppable; Colombia had no one to match up with her.
Pheesa was a perfect 3-3 from the arc.
Jordin Canada had an impressive 8 assists and 3 steals in only 21 minutes.

Arike shot it poorly but otherwise (god forgive me for saying this) she did a lot of positive things on the court. Her 5 assists included a couple sweet no-look passes on the fast break to Olivia and Stef. On a side note, I've really noticed that she's dropped quite a bit of extra weight since her college days.
God shall forgive you and so shall I. When a player does good things they deserve to be acknowledged! Even Arike! (I still see her taking Danger down as I see her name in print). Most Uconn fans (except during games) are non-partisan

Reaction Score
View attachment 46614
USA dominated Columbia 88-46 on their way to a 2nd straight victory in the FIBA Americup in Puerto Rico. UConn graduates (and 1 current roster member) registered outstanding performances in both games by scoring, rebounding, and making key baskets. Arike, from that school that only has 2 National Championships, led the team in shots in the 1st game and was 2nd in attempts in the 2nd. :D

The 1st game was a 110-31 thrashing of Paraguay. UConn players outscored Paraguay 33-31 with Olivia, Stef and Pheesa hitting a combined 13-17 shots from the field. Arike hoisted a team-leading 13 shots and made 7 to score 19 points. Her lone assist was probably a mistake. ;)

Today's opponent, Columbia, was more competitive, but couldn't handle USA's inside game. Big Syl scored 22 points on just 13 shots, all from the lane. UConn stars Dolson, Collier and ONO were 2nd, 3rd and 4th in scoring with 13, 11 and 10 points. They were combined 14-21 from the field. Liv also had a game high 8 rebounds. Interestingly, the Huskies had 5 of USA's 6 three-point baskets with Pheesa (3-3) leading the way. Dolson and Lou had two other threes. Arike put up 9 shots, but only made 2 for five points. :rolleyes: In all fairness, she did have 5 assists today.

Next game is at 5:30 tomorrow against Argentina. USA should win, UConn grads should shine and Arike probably will shoot a ton. :cool:

Go Huskies..!!

P.S. - Tina Charles also had a great game.
She scored 6 points on 2-3 shooting and had 7 assists (2nd on the team).
P.S.S. - DeShields scored 20 in the opener, but mysteriously went 0-3 in today's game.
Exceptional @DavidinNaples as always good stuff --particularly love the bits on ONO/liv/Olivia because it shows she can run with the big girls and that is great for Uconn. Thanks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
View attachment 46619

I agree 100%. How can she compete at this level, and that experience not carryover to the upcoming season, especially when she's holding her own out there? When you associate, you assimilate. She's become one of the girls (the USA team). She runs with them....grown professional women some of the best players in the world who are all her senior.

It will be a BIG step down in the level of competition when Liv returns to college. She’s long and lean and is just now beginning to understand and appreciate how to use her body to her best advantage. Anyone here think she won't have a breakout year this year? Anyone here think she won't start?

If they look for her on the block every once in a while, she can do a lot of damage this year. I think Liv can very easily average a double-double this year. I expect her to lead the team in rebounds this year...by a lot. Oh, and that sophomore leap...fugedaboudit!! ;) She's already made it. I think she’ll be one of the standout players this year that WCBB analysts will be talking about.

The scary thing is Liv's confidence is going to be through the roof come March. I'm not saying that she'll make AA this season (I've got my fingers crossed), but she, Williams, Walker and Dangerfield should play well enough to receive some serious consideration. :)
Agree.

Love the picture. Liv looks stronger. I think she'll be much tougher to push around in the paint this year. Notice how she's making herself big in the picture with a wide base and dropping her center of gravity? (Granted her opponent isn't McCowan, but still.)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Liv is going to be fine. We saw flashes of what she is capable of last season. Now we are seeing physical growth and development. Liv is learning how to play the post against international competition. What a great experience for her.

Looking for ward to seeing Liv continue to develop this season.

Reaction Score
Recall that, in a sense, ONO replaces Collier. It will be very interesting to see this season whose game has progressed more. My money is on ONO. Which will say a lot about both her effort and commitment and UConn’s ability to develop players.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Where can we view today’s game? If it’s live streamed, link please.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
View attachment 46614
USA dominated Columbia 88-46 on their way to a 2nd straight victory in the FIBA Americup in Puerto Rico. UConn graduates (and 1 current roster member) registered outstanding performances in both games by scoring, rebounding, and making key baskets. Arike, from that school that only has 2 National Championships, led the team in shots in the 1st game and was 2nd in attempts in the 2nd. :D

The 1st game was a 110-31 thrashing of Paraguay. UConn players outscored Paraguay 33-31 with Olivia, Stef and Pheesa hitting a combined 13-17 shots from the field. Arike hoisted a team-leading 13 shots and made 7 to score 19 points. Her lone assist was probably a mistake. ;)

Today's opponent, Columbia, was more competitive, but couldn't handle USA's inside game. Big Syl scored 22 points on just 13 shots, all from the lane. UConn stars Dolson, Collier and ONO were 2nd, 3rd and 4th in scoring with 13, 11 and 10 points. They were combined 14-21 from the field. Liv also had a game high 8 rebounds. Interestingly, the Huskies had 5 of USA's 6 three-point baskets with Pheesa (3-3) leading the way. Dolson and Lou had two other threes. Arike put up 9 shots, but only made 2 for five points. :rolleyes: In all fairness, she did have 5 assists today.

Next game is at 5:30 tomorrow against Argentina. USA should win, UConn grads should shine and Arike probably will shoot a ton. :cool:

Go Huskies..!!

P.S.S. - DeShields scored 20 in the opener, but mysteriously went 0-3 in today's game.

Maybe DeShields knee is kicking up? Have knees on my mind these days!
View attachment 46614

Go Huskies..!!

Great report. Would be better with links to these games. :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've seen Phee and Lou on the fast break somewhere before. But Arike and Stefanie? That looks very odd to me. :D Nice pass by Arike! Great block and save by Liz!

Step would have leveled her, legally, in that horrendous poor sportsmanship meld down game. Later today I'll find the highlight of a player wildly running into Steph at mid-court. A Wiley Coyote moment for that player!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Imagined Geno responses:

"Someone else cleaning up your missed layup isn't really an assist."
"Wow she had as many assists as she did this WNBA season."
:)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Step would have leveled her, legally, in that horrendous poor sportsmanship meld down game. Later today I'll find the highlight of a player wildly running into Steph at mid-court. A Wiley Coyote moment for that player!
I think the girl's last name was Acme! ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
God shall forgive you and so shall I. When a player does good things they deserve to be acknowledged! Even Arike! (I still see her taking Danger down as I see her name in print). Most Uconn fans (except during games) are non-partisan

It was the play of the day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom