USA wins, UConn shines & Arike shoots (a lot)... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USA wins, UConn shines & Arike shoots (a lot)...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
View attachment 46619

I agree 100%. How can she compete at this level, and that experience not carryover to the upcoming season, especially when she's holding her own out there? When you associate, you assimilate. She's become one of the girls (the USA team). She runs with them....grown professional women some of the best players in the world who are all her senior.

It will be a BIG step down in the level of competition when Liv returns to college. She’s long and lean and is just now beginning to understand and appreciate how to use her body to her best advantage. Anyone here think she won't have a breakout year this year? Anyone here think she won't start?

If they look for her on the block every once in a while, she can do a lot of damage this year. I think Liv can very easily average a double-double this year. I expect her to lead the team in rebounds this year...by a lot. Oh, and that sophomore leap...fugedaboudit!! ;) She's already made it. I think she’ll be one of the standout players this year that WCBB analysts will be talking about.

The scary thing is Liv's confidence is going to be through the roof come March. I'm not saying that she'll make AA this season (I've got my fingers crossed), but she, Williams, Walker and Dangerfield should play well enough to receive some serious consideration. :)
That is a BIG target!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It was the play of the day.

Too bad Arike didn't block out on #4. Offense was never an issue with her, and no one would argue the kid isn't a gifted offense player. But that colander defense has to improve before I consider her a lynchpin in a championship team. On #1 though it's nice to see that she's starting recognize that on a good team you have to reward your bigs when they run the floor.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Arike put in a substantial amount of energy on the defensive end against Argentina. Had 4 steals and energized the team when she was in. Who thought her shooting (and FT) would be the weakest part of her game. :eek:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
View attachment 46614
USA dominated Columbia 88-46 on their way to a 2nd straight victory in the FIBA Americup in Puerto Rico. UConn graduates (and 1 current roster member) registered outstanding performances in both games by scoring, rebounding, and making key baskets. Arike, from that school that only has 2 National Championships, led the team in shots in the 1st game and was 2nd in attempts in the 2nd. :D

The 1st game was a 110-31 thrashing of Paraguay. UConn players outscored Paraguay 33-31 with Olivia, Stef and Pheesa hitting a combined 13-17 shots from the field. Arike hoisted a team-leading 13 shots and made 7 to score 19 points. Her lone assist was probably a mistake. ;)

Today's opponent, Columbia, was more competitive, but couldn't handle USA's inside game. Big Syl scored 22 points on just 13 shots, all from the lane. UConn stars Dolson, Collier and ONO were 2nd, 3rd and 4th in scoring with 13, 11 and 10 points. They were combined 14-21 from the field. Liv also had a game high 8 rebounds. Interestingly, the Huskies had 5 of USA's 6 three-point baskets with Pheesa (3-3) leading the way. Dolson and Lou had two other threes. Arike put up 9 shots, but only made 2 for five points. :rolleyes: In all fairness, she did have 5 assists today.

Next game is at 5:30 tomorrow against Argentina. USA should win, UConn grads should shine and Arike probably will shoot a ton. :cool:

Go Huskies..!!

P.S. - Tina Charles also had a great game.
She scored 6 points on 2-3 shooting and had 7 assists (2nd on the team).
P.S.S. - DeShields scored 20 in the opener, but mysteriously went 0-3 in today's game.

The Lions or the Koalas?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Arike was 5-13 today. She brought energy and quickness. She missed 2 layups, though they were a little on the difficult side.

So far, I've seen Arike, Diamond, Jordin, and Brittney all take the ball to the hoop for a difficult shot on the break in a 1-on-1 or 1-on-many situation and come up empty. They need to wait for their world-class teammates to get a better shot.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Too bad Arike didn't block out on #4. Offense was never an issue with her, and no one would argue the kid isn't a gifted offense player. But that colander defense has to improve before I consider her a lynchpin in a championship team. On #1 though it's nice to see that she's starting recognize that on a good team you have to reward your bigs when they run the floor.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Arike was 5-13 today. She brought energy and quickness. She missed 2 layups, though they were a little on the difficult side.

So far, I've seen Arike, Diamond, Jordin, and Brittney all take the ball to the hoop for a difficult shot on the break in a 1-on-1 or 1-on-many situation and come up empty. They need to wait for their world-class teammates to get a better shot.
I didn’t watch the whole game; but I particularly remember a play where Arike robbed Dolson of an assist on an amazing lead pass perfectly weighted over the defender’s head. I’ve seen Arike make far more difficult shots than that layup she missed :mad:

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Columbia/Colombia Lions.

I'm not knocking Ivies. I attended 2 of them.

Didn't think you were. I went to two of them. I was asking for a style of play in a really obscure way. Like current Princeton under our own Jen. :) Very good post Milford - nice play on the Lions and I get it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Didn't think you were. I went to two of them. I was asking for a style of play in a really obscure way. Like current Princeton under our own Jen. :) Very good post Milford - nice play on the Lions and I get it.
I was just following up on what our South Carolina friend posted.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
View attachment 46614
USA dominated Colombia school s
My word of advice to you from one UConn fan to another, NEVER put the name “Arike” in the title of a thread if you want people to HAPPILY click on it as I was already like:mad: when I decided to click on solely due your name and UConn and then I saw this picture and was transformed.However, her name is permanently listed on the thread when most of us are posting about OUR UConn Women. Also, don’t put any LV names in a title either! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
P.S.S. - DeShields scored 20 in the opener, but mysteriously went 0-3 in today's game.
This is actually the way things should work on an All-Star team. She went O-3 and if you are not feeling it you defer to someone else on the team. Because everyone is good and can light it up on any given day. They can also go cold and not hit a shot to save their lives. When that happens, they should let someone else do the shooting. Not necessary to shoot yourself out of a slump on a team with AllStars. You should do this because the team has plenty of other options. Some players and even some coaches do not understand this concept.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom