USA (WBB) Press Conference | The Boneyard

USA (WBB) Press Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno and players met with media after practice. Here's the link:

http://www.usabasketball.com/womens/national/let_the_games_begin_us_wome_2012_07_26.html

Candace Parker (Los Angeles Sparks)

Is Geno different than the perception you had of him at Tennessee?I would be lying to you if I said no. I think that it's cool when you come from rival schools to kind of see now Coach Auriemma does basketball stuff and how he is off the court. I always knew that he liked to joke and things like that, but it's been cool playing. Obviously a lot of his girls are on the team. It's been nice. It's been a good experience. We haven't felt too orange (reference to Tennessee's orange), except when he makes little jokes or something like that about the Southeastern Conference.

How is it playing with six UConn players?I don't think it's tough because the players don't make it tough. Just like when we play in the WNBA. There are three Minnesota Lynx teammates on the team; they don't make it about Minnesota. They don't make it about the University of Connecticut. We all put on a USA jersey, and we are all teammates when we do that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well-worded response by Diana:

A silver medal isn’t a medal in America, is that the case?

I wouldn’t want to diminish anyone’s silver medal because it’s a great achievement anytime you medal in the Olympics. But, we have one goal in mind.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Well-worded response by Diana:

A silver medal isn’t a medal in America, is that the case?

I wouldn’t want to diminish anyone’s silver medal because it’s a great achievement anytime you medal in the Olympics. But, we have one goal in mind.

anyone who thinks that Dee isn't a smart, savvy, special person should really give it another thought

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
anyone who thinks that Dee isn't a smart, savvy, special person should really give it another thought
Well I don't think Maya is far behind in that regard. Read her response to being baited about the attention that the Men's team gets. Smart kid young woman and well spoken to boot.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Plenty of intelligence and poise on this team. They are representing us very well.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I always enjoy seeing what other players who never played for Geno have to say about him. I think it's universally been with glowing praise.

And I thought Maya's comments on the media coverage of the men vs. the women was spectacular. She's amazing in so many ways!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Let's allow for the fact that neither Candace nor Tamika Catchings is about to say anything even slightly negative or disruptive about their coach, just before the Olympics begin. It's open to question whether the quoted words represent her true feelings. The same is true about her feelings with regard to playing with 6 UConn teammates.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Let's allow for the fact that neither Candace nor Tamika Catchings is about to say anything even slightly negative or disruptive about their coach, just before the Olympics begin. It's open to question whether the quoted words represent her true feelings. The same is true about her feelings with regard to playing with 6 UConn teammates.
tumblr_m6lnbokjKI1rnvwt1.gif

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why on earth would you assume Candace isn't expressing her true feelings? I guarantee you that the players know about the rivalry but they aren't as whackadoo about it as the fans, both blue and orange. A number of adults that are on the shady side of 40 could learn a lot from the young women that have played for both UConn and Tenn, as far as putting the rivalry in perspective.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
???

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I think your suspicions re. Parker are wrong, especially where she talks about what happens when they put on that USA jersey.. But I am certain your suspicions about Catchings are wrong.. She and Geno like and respect one another a great deal, and the same goes for her USA team mates from UConn.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Joe, congrats on posting the worst bull ever on this board. Not an easy task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom