USA vs Australia today @ 4:00PM | Page 5 | The Boneyard

USA vs Australia today @ 4:00PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I enjoyed the games live and in person. Thanks to TJI, my MSG ticket broker. :)

Also, after spending most of Friday with Breanna's aunt, uncles, and grandmother, I ran into and chatted with Brian and Heather today. Very, very nice people. I hope I didn't intrude.

Congrats to Kia and Canada for an impressive win over a good French team. I thought they were heavy underdogs.

I thought the U.S. looked good and is on the right track. Today's game was likely a preview of the Gold Medal game (I have 2 tickets for anyone going to Rio). The Aussies are very good. Penny Taylor is a world-class player, Cambage is huge and skilled, and both Phillips and Mitchell can play.

Some more semi-random thoughts:

The 2 biggest concerns against the Aussies are their post scoring and 3-point scoring. Our defense on those points was mediocre. I hope we can improve. In terms of the post play, Geno's plan seems to be to rotate Tina, Sylvia, and Britney. None is as strong as Liz. I think that Brit's length helped her. Some of the 3-point shots came off ball reversal or drive and kicks. The Aussies are well coached. The U.S. defense, like UConn defense, likes to pressure the ball, but leaves shooters open. If we get enough TOs, it works on balance.

FT shooting was 27-33 for the U.S. and 17-17 for Australia. Don't foul Penny Taylor or Cambage! Or anyone else!

In terms of individual play today ...

Sue didn't score (on only 1 shot), but had 6 assists and 0 TOs. That's why she's on the team.

Diana was as energetic as I've ever seen her. She shot well from most areas, including the arc, and had 20 points. I see her on the 2020 Olympic team. She played 30 minutes and looked fresh.

Catch got the start--well deserved--and had 6 points in 9 minutes. No one plays harder than her.

Maya's shot was off (4-13 overall), but she had 6 assists (some spectacular) and 6 rebounds. She was +15 in 22 minutes.

Tina had only 1 points, but 5 rebounds and 2 assists in 14 minutes. She was overpowered by Cambage, but played her effectively in 2012. Tina will be fine. She got the loudest ovation today.

Syl had 4 points and 4 fouls in 12 minutes. Not her best results. She was -8 (tying Stewie for the worst on the team).

Elena shot 7-10 for 19 points. She put up 11 in her first 5 minutes. She's unguardable one on one. I think one of her FTs grazed the rim, which may have been her low point. She also had 2 blocks. She was +16.

Lindsay had 8 points in 12 minutes. Yes, her game is to take the ball into the lane. She's been doing it for 15 years. Occasionally, she needs to kick it out.

Seimone had 2 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists in 14 minutes. A quiet game.

Angel had 12 points in 13 minutes as the Energizer Bunny again. Geno seemed happy with her again. She is quick laterally, but also vertically. She reminds me of Gabby in terms of getting off her feet quickly.

Brit was a very pleasant surprise with 15 points and 4 boards in 13 minutes. She looked like the player I saw in Istanbul, not the impostor in Phoenix this year. She did a decent job against Cambage on defense, but more importantly, she was aggressive on offense and scored almost at will. Geno gave her a long, encouraging talk as she left the court.

Stewie had 4 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 assist in only 9 minutes. I would have liked to see her play more. She obviously can't defend Cambage, but she can play at this level, even against a team as good Australia. She had a couple of nice plays.

Geno and the assistants are experimenting with matchups and strategies. Some of the lineups are insanely talented, Diana, Maya, Stewie, and Elena, for example. He's done some pressing on defense. One area where he should get props is coaching certain players. He gives Angel, Britney, and Sylvia the tough love that they need. And he also gives them pep talks. He has brought out the best of Angel in 2012 and 2016. I think he got Griner going today. The WNBA opposition may not be happy about that. Brit, Diana, and Penny are really, really good.

I think there is a practice in Houston and then the trip to Rio. (They must be flying United.) Safe travels! Have fun and bring back the Gold! I wish I were going, but I'll watch on the new 65" Samsung SUHD 4K screen.

Thanks for your assessment and your support of the team. And I think you are right that Geno got something out of BG that I have not seen before and I hope it continues. If she plays like that the rest of the season...and career...the WNBA and the rest of the world has Geno to blame.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Walen's rock solid style of play may be required in case our offense gets bogged down and no combination you put on the floor can get it moving. She proved herself in those tight close battles when the Lynx really just started their championship winning streak several years ago. So maybe we will blow everyone out. But just in case this doesn't happen, we need to practice her and let her do her thing.

I agree. It will take all kinds of offense at that is one element to the US offense that will be needed at some point when the three pointers that are easy to take are not falling.

Reaction Score
I was at yesterday's game, and kept wondering how on Earth geno picks a starting 5 from this group? As I said to my friend afterwards, watching yesterday's game was like being at Field of Dreams and seeing Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Williams, Musial and Mantle step out of the cornfield. You saw more than just hall of famers, there are some all-time greats on this team. This could probably be a debate for a separate thread, but in my opinion this team is the greatest collection of women's basketball talent ever assembled.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Seimone is someone that depends on rhythm more than most and this training camp with all the experiments with line-up is short on that. I am pretty sure there will be some games where the microwave gets turned up high for her in the games that matter when the rotations are fixed.

I actually really like the make-up of this team - Stewart to my eye is not looking lost, just deferential (think Sue in he first Olympics), the centers have all had moments of dominance and games they would rather forget, as have pretty much all the team members. I am confident that when the games do matter and the team needs something from any one of the 12, they will step up to that challenge - like Jones did in the London.

The NT is such an interesting and different proposition - 1 through 12 every player is capable of making 'the difference' on either end of the court in any given game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Some quotes from The Australian.
Not giving upon Gold Medal hopes.

The US reminded Australia’s female basketballers just how tough it will be to win an Olympic gold medal in their last hurrah before heading to Rio.

But coach Brendan Joyce believes the Opals are now better-placed to fight for the top prize in Brazil.

The Opals, who toppled Canada and France in earlier practice matches, set the tempo with a 17-11 lead in the first quarter. They trailed by just six points at halftime but the depth of the US team eventually wore them down.

Star centre Liz Cambage was as influential as ever, scoring a game-high 22 points plus eight rebounds, while energetic guard Leilani Mitchell added 18 points and had three assists.

Veteran Penny Taylor finished with nine points, eight rebounds and two assists.

“They are the best team in the world for a reason,” said Cambage, who ran into some foul trouble in her entertaining battle with Griner.

“We have some things we need to work on.”

(He) was happy with the team’s execution and composure in front of a boisterous American crowd.

“We scored a lot of points against a quality opponent but we had too many points thrown on us,” he said from New York.

“It was pretty tough — but us Aussies, we don’t quit.

“We chipped away, everyone got to play some minutes, and we learnt some things.”

“The key for us will be to defend them better,” Joyce said.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a good game. The US could probably medal by taking some not on the roster and sending another squad to Rio. Cambage sounds crazy good. I've also always thought Penny Taylor was a great player. Beating the Aussies won't be easy in the Olympics.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Quotes from the Guardian Australian Edition:

Liz Cambage, playing at the famous New York venue for the first time, delivered a standout performance in the 104-89 defeat as the Opals also wrapped up their preparations for Rio.
The imposing centre contributed 22 points and eight rebounds while guard Leilani Mitchell also impressed with 18 points and three assists.

It was an encouraging Australian performance, although the match underlined just how difficult it will be to dethrone the Americans in Rio.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm sure there is a reason or 3 for why people can quote Australian sources, but forget to link the source(s). Sorry, just annoying.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm sure there is a reason or 3 for why people can quote Australian sources, but forget to link the source(s). Sorry, just annoying.

I cited the source, noted what was interesting just didn't link it...no big deal...I'll make sure to do that in the future...not much else of interest anyway.

There's always Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS