USA vs Australia today @ 4:00PM | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USA vs Australia today @ 4:00PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I enjoyed the games live and in person. Thanks to TJI, my MSG ticket broker. :)

Also, after spending most of Friday with Breanna's aunt, uncles, and grandmother, I ran into and chatted with Brian and Heather today. Very, very nice people. I hope I didn't intrude.

Congrats to Kia and Canada for an impressive win over a good French team. I thought they were heavy underdogs.

I thought the U.S. looked good and is on the right track. Today's game was likely a preview of the Gold Medal game (I have 2 tickets for anyone going to Rio). The Aussies are very good. Penny Taylor is a world-class player, Cambage is huge and skilled, and both Phillips and Mitchell can play.

Some more semi-random thoughts:

The 2 biggest concerns against the Aussies are their post scoring and 3-point scoring. Our defense on those points was mediocre. I hope we can improve. In terms of the post play, Geno's plan seems to be to rotate Tina, Sylvia, and Britney. None is as strong as Liz. I think that Brit's length helped her. Some of the 3-point shots came off ball reversal or drive and kicks. The Aussies are well coached. The U.S. defense, like UConn defense, likes to pressure the ball, but leaves shooters open. If we get enough TOs, it works on balance.

FT shooting was 27-33 for the U.S. and 17-17 for Australia. Don't foul Penny Taylor or Cambage! Or anyone else!

In terms of individual play today ...

Sue didn't score (on only 1 shot), but had 6 assists and 0 TOs. That's why she's on the team.

Diana was as energetic as I've ever seen her. She shot well from most areas, including the arc, and had 20 points. I see her on the 2020 Olympic team. She played 30 minutes and looked fresh.

Catch got the start--well deserved--and had 6 points in 9 minutes. No one plays harder than her.

Maya's shot was off (4-13 overall), but she had 6 assists (some spectacular) and 6 rebounds. She was +15 in 22 minutes.

Tina had only 1 points, but 5 rebounds and 2 assists in 14 minutes. She was overpowered by Cambage, but played her effectively in 2012. Tina will be fine. She got the loudest ovation today.

Syl had 4 points and 4 fouls in 12 minutes. Not her best results. She was -8 (tying Stewie for the worst on the team).

Elena shot 7-10 for 19 points. She put up 11 in her first 5 minutes. She's unguardable one on one. I think one of her FTs grazed the rim, which may have been her low point. She also had 2 blocks. She was +16.

Lindsay had 8 points in 12 minutes. Yes, her game is to take the ball into the lane. She's been doing it for 15 years. Occasionally, she needs to kick it out.

Seimone had 2 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists in 14 minutes. A quiet game.

Angel had 12 points in 13 minutes as the Energizer Bunny again. Geno seemed happy with her again. She is quick laterally, but also vertically. She reminds me of Gabby in terms of getting off her feet quickly.

Brit was a very pleasant surprise with 15 points and 4 boards in 13 minutes. She looked like the player I saw in Istanbul, not the impostor in Phoenix this year. She did a decent job against Cambage on defense, but more importantly, she was aggressive on offense and scored almost at will. Geno gave her a long, encouraging talk as she left the court.

Stewie had 4 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 assist in only 9 minutes. I would have liked to see her play more. She obviously can't defend Cambage, but she can play at this level, even against a team as good Australia. She had a couple of nice plays.

Geno and the assistants are experimenting with matchups and strategies. Some of the lineups are insanely talented, Diana, Maya, Stewie, and Elena, for example. He's done some pressing on defense. One area where he should get props is coaching certain players. He gives Angel, Britney, and Sylvia the tough love that they need. And he also gives them pep talks. He has brought out the best of Angel in 2012 and 2016. I think he got Griner going today. The WNBA opposition may not be happy about that. Brit, Diana, and Penny are really, really good.

I think there is a practice in Houston and then the trip to Rio. (They must be flying United.) Safe travels! Have fun and bring back the Gold! I wish I were going, but I'll watch on the new 65" Samsung SUHD 4K screen.

Reaction Score
I agree and stated in another thread that both she and DT would not return after this season.
I think she will. She may be a little burned out, but I think ultimately she realizes she has the opportunity to leave in a few years with the all-time WNBA scoring record and possibly more championships, cementing her place as GOAT. She is not a quitter. She knows the league is fragile, and probably has a little guilt about what she did last year. In fact, it won't surprise me if she and BG come back from Rio refreshed, with DT telling BG, "We just need to get in the playoffs (an extremely easy thing to do in the WNBA), then just win the rest of our games. Watch - I'll show you."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think she will. She may be a little burned out, but I think ultimately she realizes she has the opportunity to leave in a few years with the all-time WNBA scoring record and possibly more championships, cementing her place as GOAT. She is not a quitter. She knows the league is fragile, and probably has a little guilt about what she did last year. In fact, it won't surprise me if she and BG come back from Rio refreshed, with DT telling BG, "We just need to get in the playoffs (an extremely easy thing to do in the WNBA), then just win the rest of our games. Watch - I'll show you."
They were in WNBA Finals mode today.

Reaction Score
I disagree on the criticism of Whalen - that is her game and what she has played for USA for 6 years and it has been very effective - she attacks until help defense comes and then passes - when the help doesn't come she goes ahead and shoots. And the last play of the quarter is exactly what Geno called for with the stacked high screens. I think the specific combination on the floor at that time was not spacing very well, and there were no really good 3 point shooters spotting up - not Angel nor Siemone's game.
I thought EDD sort of lost her aggressiveness in the second half, passing up shots she should have been taking and that also added to the confusion at times. She is a rookie with the team in the early stages of the this team meshing, and I think there is a tendency for everyone and especially the new arrivals to want to be too unselfish. (I see the same issue with Breanna and Moriah in the WNBA this year.) But that is an easier thing to coach them out of than being too selfish.
Lisa made the point, Angel, and Seimone shouldn't be out there at the same time, neither is a serious 3 point threat.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
50 pounds is being kind. I'm thinking more.
Liz is listed as 215. I think she is 250+. Tina is listed as 194. She's 5" shorter on a smaller frame than Liz. BTW, Liz is NOT fat.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Liz is listed as 215. I think she is 250+. Tina is listed as 194. She's 5" shorter on a smaller frame than Liz. BTW, Liz is NOT fat.

She's the height of Britney Griner and the heft of Courtney Paris. And a basketball IQ that's off the charts.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Who should Nneka have replaced from today's game?

BG finished the four games shooting 83% from the field and 86% from the FT line and lead the team in blocks. Not bad for a player who would have been better left at home.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Then what is Brittney's excuse? I get the same sense-lack of interest.
It might be a matter of endorsements. Whatever corporate deals they have may well be comparable or more to those weak WNBA salaries.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Who should Nneka have replaced from today's game?

Interesting point
But based on today only: If Nneka brings her A game...She might have had a better game than Tina, Simone, Stewie (who looked a little lost at times) Tamika (for all her effort).

Heresy of course....waiting for the screams...but you asked...and based only on today.

I thought BG played her best game ever for USA....wonderful 4th quarter...kept Liz in check and scored at will from multiple angles...great effort.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Interesting point
But based on today only: If Nneka brings her A game...She might have had a better game than Tina, Simone, Stewie (who looked a little lost at times) Tamika (for all her effort).

Heresy of course....waiting for the screams...but you asked...and based only on today.

I thought BG played her best game ever for USA....wonderful 4th quarter...kept Liz in check and scored at will from multiple angles...great effort.

Seimone has not been very productive so far, shooting 25% from the floor, averaging 3 points a game and not getting to the FT line once. She is taking a bunch of mid-range jumpers and hitting very few. We would have been better off with a young PG soaking up the Olympic experience and learning from Bird.

Tina had a rough day on the defensive end, getting lost on a couple of switches at the end of the first half and not being able to handle Cambage down low, but she that is rare for her and she will bounce back quickly.

For Stewart it's just a matter of time before she doesn't look lost and her upside is tremendous. Give her a couple more years and she and EDD will be interchangeable.

EDD, Maya and DT are tremendous offensive players. When they shoot I assume the shot is going in.

Bird is so smooth and is like a ghost who is haunting your house. You don't know she is there until you do.

Angel looks lightening quick on defense and she is really hitting the boards and finishing near the rim.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Seimone has not been very productive so far, shooting 25% from the floor, averaging 3 points a game and not getting to the FT line once. She is taking a bunch of mid-range jumpers and hitting very few. We would have been better off with a young PG soaking up the Olympic experience and learning from Bird.

like MORIAH

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One other point (aside) from today's game. In the crowd with his daughters was 2004 Olympian and National Champion Emeka Okafor. He got a large ovation when shown on the Jumbotron.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
One other point (aside) from today's game. In the crowd with his daughters was 2004 Olympian and National Champion Emeka Okafor. He got a large ovation when shown on the Jumbotron.

OH NO!!! When do the daughters enroll at UCONN?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She's the height of Britney Griner and the heft of Courtney Paris. And a basketball IQ that's off the charts.
And she's still 24 years old (her birthday is in a few weeks).

Reaction Score
Like Sims... :D

I would not be surprised to see Sims AND Jefferson on the 2020 team.

I suspect that the 2020 PGs will have great "vision."
I think that they should have give Seimone's spot to either Loyd or Sims. Sims if they want to groom a PG or Loyd if they wanted to have a SG that plays a similar game to Seimone.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I enjoyed the games live and in person. Thanks to TJI, my MSG ticket broker. :)

Also, after spending most of Friday with Breanna's aunt, uncles, and grandmother, I ran into and chatted with Brian and Heather today. Very, very nice people. I hope I didn't intrude.
You didnt ask about the mystery women

I think there is a practice in Houston and then the trip to Rio. (They must be flying United.) Safe travels! Have fun and bring back the Gold! I wish I were going, but I'll watch on the new 65" Samsung SUHD 4K screen.
images

Reaction Score
Stating the obvious, but this isn't the WNBA. When her play completely disrupts the offensive flow, it's a problem on a US National Team... But I have no doubt the coaches will address it... It's one thing to be offensively minded, it's another to be offensively selfish so that it makes the flow of the offense completely disappear...
Walen's rock solid style of play may be required in case our offense gets bogged down and no combination you put on the floor can get it moving. She proved herself in those tight close battles when the Lynx really just started their championship winning streak several years ago. So maybe we will blow everyone out. But just in case this doesn't happen, we need to practice her and let her do her thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom