USA training camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just checked the USA site and they have a new story posted:
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2014/09/wnt-training-set-to-begin.aspx

The important news is that Tamika Catching is not attending because of persistent neck pain, and both Monica Wright and Candace Parker are both having knee surgery.
What it doesn't say and I have no idea is ... does their withdrawal from training camp also mean they are withdrawing from consideration for the WC team. With Wright, I would think this would be true since she hash't made a USA final 12 team, with the other two, they have plenty of experience both with the team and with Geno's system that they could presumably jump in after training camp like those involved in the WNBA finals are expected to.

IF both Catchings and Parker are out 'injured' that opens up two additional positions on the team and certainly opens the door for Stewart wider than it was.

Another small note - not sure if this is true but I believe Bird and Catch have a chance to be the first two players in USA history to play in four WCs.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I suspect EDD won't try out for the team due to her back injury. If she's off the team, IMHO Stewart will make the team. She provides outside shooting that Nneka and Chiney don't provide. One or both of them will probably make the team as well.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What it doesn't say and I have no idea is ... does their withdrawal from training camp also mean they are withdrawing from consideration for the WC team. With Wright, I would think this would be true since she hash't made a USA final 12 team, with the other two, they have plenty of experience both with the team and with Geno's system that they could presumably jump in after training camp like those involved in the WNBA finals are expected to.

I think the article does say they have withdrawn from consideration (see paragraph below) although I agree it's not clear. If Parker's surgery were minor enough that she would still be able to play in the WCs than I think she would have had the surgery already as her season ended 2 weeks ago. If Catchings wanted to make the team she could attend the camp and not play. I wonder if in Catchings case both she and USA BB know the team will be going in a different direction and this decision avoids that unpleasantness.

Three-time Olympic and two-time FIBA World Championship gold medalist Tamika Catchings (Indiana Fever) has been battling persistent neck pain and problems that require rest and therapy in order for her to recover and will not attend training camp. Further, Candace Parker (Los Angeles Sparks) has scheduled a minor knee surgery and Monica Wright (Minnesota Lynx) has also withdrawn from consideration due to an impending knee surgery, so neither will attend the training camp.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the article does say they have withdrawn from consideration (see paragraph below) although I agree it's not clear. If Parker's surgery were minor enough that she would still be able to play in the WCs than I think she would have had the surgery already as her season ended 2 weeks ago. If Catchings wanted to make the team she could attend the camp and not play. I wonder if in Catchings case both she and USA BB know the team will be going in a different direction and this decision avoids that unpleasantness.

Three-time Olympic and two-time FIBA World Championship gold medalist Tamika Catchings (Indiana Fever) has been battling persistent neck pain and problems that require rest and therapy in order for her to recover and will not attend training camp. Further, Candace Parker (Los Angeles Sparks) has scheduled a minor knee surgery and Monica Wright (Minnesota Lynx) has also withdrawn from consideration due to an impending knee surgery, so neither will attend the training camp.

Agree it is ambiguous but in Parkers case, there are a lot of really minor knee procedures that have a very short recovery times - cleaning up a little bit of cartilage that has been causing irritation kind of thing. But agree timing would seem to be a little weird depending on when the diagnosis was made.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I saw a tweet from Parker. She will have minor knee surgery.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
USA WBball site now excludes the three from the roster. Sounds like it makes Stewie and Nneka a virtual lock, and agreed may increase likelihood on others such as Chiney (yes, two sisters would be great) or maybe Bonner? Anyone who doubted her before the WNBA playoffs now has seen her defensive skills (vs. Maya Moore), which we know Geno appreciates.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The other Phoenix player that I like is Dupree.

Reaction Score
I was just looking at the groups and was surprised to see that Russia is not in
the competition this time. What happened to them?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So returning Olympians are now:
Centers: Fowles, Charles
Forwards: Moore
Wings: McCaughtry, Augustus
Guards: Bird, Whalen, Taurasi
Assuming they all make the team which given Parker and Catching missing seems to be reasonable 'hold-overs' from the Olympic team, that leaves 4 spots.
As long as Griner wants it and I think she does now, she will take one of those spots, but I no longer think EDD is likely to get the other spot. The WC is nine games in nine days and between her disease and her now very tender back, I don't think the USA committee will take the chance with someone who hasn't been able to go nine games straight throughout the WNBA season with the games more spaced out.
I would think they will look for two forwards and one guard and likely a guard that has some PG capability.
For Forwards I think Stewart is the most versatile and Nneka the best of the O sisters right now - the dark horse for me is Dupree who was on the 2010 WC team and has the kind of game that melds nicely with others.
For guards: If Chicago wasn't in the finals I would think Vandersloot had a good shot as she has been in the pool for at least 4 years, but not being in training is definitely a minus. I think Diggins, Sims, and Robinson are the front runners. Dark horses McBride and Hartley

It is surprising in looking at the guards in the pool - you have Bird, Taurasi and Whalen who are born in 1980/82/82 and then a group of aspirants all born in 1989 or later with Briann January the only one in the intervening years. I guess you could count McCaughtry as a guard, but she is really more of a wing player. A dry spell from 82 - 88 in terms of USA guards.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I think that Dupree has a better scoring game than either of the two O sisters. She's tough, hard working....they call her "quiet excellence"

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Dupree is not a dark horse to me. She is playing some incredible ball and nobody is shooting better. And she and DT have a great connection.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
USA WBball site now excludes the three from the roster. Sounds like it makes Stewie and Nneka a virtual lock, and agreed may increase likelihood on others such as Chiney (yes, two sisters would be great) or maybe Bonner? Anyone who doubted her before the WNBA playoffs now has seen her defensive skills (vs. Maya Moore), which we know Geno appreciates.

I take Dupree over either Ogwumike sister. Her mid-range game is just incredible.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dupree was on the USA roster at the 2010 world championships in the Czech Republic. She played very well until the championship game against the Czech Republic when she played very little. I think she started that game but Geno didn't like what he saw and sat her down early. She ended up playing only 10 minutes. Dupree didn't make the Olympic roster and I wondered whether Geno and USA BB lost confidence in her because of that championship game.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Dupree was on the USA roster at the 2010 world championships in the Czech Republic. She played very well until the championship game against the Czech Republic when she played very little. I think she started that game but Geno didn't like what he saw and sat her down early. She ended up playing only 10 minutes. Dupree didn't make the Olympic roster and I wondered whether Geno and USA BB lost confidence in her because of that championship game.

It's hard to believe that one game would change someone's mind about a player, but hey, I wasn't there. It will be interesting to see how she does this year, especially given that they are down a couple of Olympians and the way she is playing lately.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's hard to believe that one game would change someone's mind about a player, but hey, I wasn't there. It will be interesting to see how she does this year, especially given that they are down a couple of Olympians and the way she is playing lately.

There are games and then there are games. That was the championship game in front of a raucous, partisan crowd and the CR kept the game close until USA took control in the 3rd quarter. I don't believe Dupree saw the court in the 2nd half.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Geno was earlier impressed with McBride.
I wouldn't be surprised to see her get a late invite.

I'm also a believer in the value of Dupree.

Too bad about Elena's health, she can't catch a break.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UConnCat said:
There are games and then there are games. That was the championship game in front of a raucous, partisan crowd and the CR kept the game close until USA took control in the 3rd quarter. I don't believe Dupree saw the court in the 2nd half.

fair enough

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Dupree just got squeezed out of the Olympic team because of returning players and Jones having had a phenomenal year - not because of that one game.
McBride doesn't need a 'late invite' she is already in the pool for the training camp.
EDD may still make the team - she has a few weeks for her back, but I do think the committee will be wary because of her history and not likely being able to practice for some of that time.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
I think that Dupree has a better scoring game than either of the two O sisters. She's tough, hard working....they call her "quiet excellence"
understood she is excellent, but don't think she is in the same ballpark as either O. Look at all their statistics, and that for PFs they also are great team players, helping others. I see Nneka as a lock but Chiney probably waits another 2 years unless she really shines (especially if no EDD and if someone like Fowles is outplayed).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
understood she is excellent, but don't think she is in the same ballpark as either O. Look at all their statistics, and that for PFs they also are great team players, helping others. I see Nneka as a lock but Chiney probably waits another 2 years unless she really shines (especially if no EDD and if someone like Fowles is outplayed).
You are probably right, but I do think they are different styles of players. I said Dupree is a 'dark horse' pick, but she has had the WC experience playing for USA and Geno which is a plus. She also has sort of a chameleon like game meaning that she can adapt her play to whatever her team needs in any given situation which is very useful on a team of all stars. That is why she is so good for Phoenix because she doesn't need to be the focus of the offense, but in a game like today where DT and BG were demanding all the defensive attention, she quietly puts up 26. Next game she may not score 10, but still be integral to the success of her team.

Reaction Score
Dupree is awesome offensively, but she's horrible on defense, like one of the worse defenders in the PF positon. I would take Nneka and/or Chiney over Dupree. Dupree's main asset is scoring. With other options on the team like DT, Maya, Seimone, Tina, Griner, you don't need Dupree's scoring. Both O sister's are better rebounders and defenders. Nneka offensive game is very underrated.

EDD is 50/50 due to health. So with Parker, Catchings, out, (and possibly EDD), I would like to see Stewert and Nneka.

PG Whalen, Bird
SG Taurasi, Augustus
SF Maya, Angel, (Stewert)
PF Tina, Nneka, Stewert
C Griner, Fowles, (Tina)

If EDD is healthy, goes to her obviously. But, if not, I think the last spot goes to a young PG, Diggins, Sims or Robinson.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Doesn't sound promising for EDD...

"I've done it all," Delle Donne said of her treatments. "I don't know what's going on, if it's structural or what. I've had back issues my whole life, especially in high school when I was growing a lot, but nothing like this.

"Before, I've had some muscle spasms that will warm up, but this is completely different. It feels like I can't run or walk or find a comfortable position. It's my lower back, and it's sending pain down my legs now. There was no getting through it today. It just feels like it's gotten progressively worse, unfortunately."

LINK

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

"I've done it all," Delle Donne said of her treatments. "I don't know what's going on, if it's structural or what. I've had back issues my whole life, especially in high school when I was growing a lot, but nothing like this.

"Before, I've had some muscle spasms that will warm up, but this is completely different. It feels like I can't run or walk or find a comfortable position. It's my lower back, and it's sending pain down my legs now. There was no getting through it today. It just feels like it's gotten progressively worse, unfortunately."

LINK

I would be surprised if she plays again in this series. If she cannot put in quality minutes after the break between the Easter Conference finals and the finals, I don't think two days of rest between games is going to give her any time to get better. If the pain is going down her legs I would not be surprised to hear the word "surgery" very soon.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

LINK

Unfortunately, sounds much like the sciatica that 50-year old men get.
In the old days, they would lay you on your back with tranquilizers for 6 weeks
Luckily, mine never came back,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member