USA training camp | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USA training camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
USA Basketball @usabasketball · 3h
.@MooreMaya accepted a lunch date with members of the 3rd Company #hoopsfortroops pic.twitter.com/gP9NpXrnPI

Lunch at a service academy is special. I have never been to Annapolis but I have dined in the historic dining hall at West Point with cadets. It may surprise readers to know (USMA) that 4,500 cadets dine family style in an hour!

And it's a short hour, for at the end of a fine meal, cadets depart by class (seniors first, etc.), so the plebes must meet a daily challenge of dining quickly, then really hustling to get from the dining hall to wherever. Talk about a fast break!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If I'm in a foxhole, Sue Bird is the player I'd want with me.

A number of years ago, Geno chose Diana. He said they'd die for sure, but they'd have a lot of fun before that.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I noted one possibly significant point made by Geno in his comments. He clearly indicated that the team veterans (e.g., Olympians) would have to "play their way off" the WC team but the younger aspirants would have to "play their way on" to the team.

This suggests to me that it is by no means a given that players like Griner and Sims (to cite only two) must really, really excel to displace players like Fowles and Whalen.

Geno seemsto be extremely reluctant to have to tell one of his veterans that she has been cut. As it should be.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kib - there are four open places from the past Olympic team that have to be filled for starters so there are openings for four players who were not on the last team. And a lot of people forget that Dupree was on the last WC team again in a situation where there were veterans of the previous team who were out injured (I believe Parker and Augustus were two of them.) So presumably she might be counted as a veteran of the USA national team as well though that is probably stretching it. She did play generally pretty well.
That WC team was also the first team that Whalen made.
I think Griner is a shoe in as long as she wants it which leaves three places before veterans end up being cut. I cannot imagine one of those places not going to one of the young guards in camp because of the age of Taurasi, Whalen, and Bird. I also expect a replacement forward to be selected for Parker and think the most versatile one in camp is Stewart but the best is probably Nneka. I suspect both make the team, but they might select another young guard/wing.
Of those 8 returning players I just don't see anyone that is likely to play themselves off the team.
Sue is the oldest, but she is still playing very well and is probably the best equipped to run Geno's offense (or any coaches offense.) Whalen has played very well in the last two competitions and DT is DT.
Augustus is getting older but is still a dynamic scorer. Angel may have 'emotional' problems on her other teams but she has been a great national team player and her defensive intensity is very useful. Maya is Maya.
Charles is into her prime and can play both center and PF, and Fowles when healthy is a beast with size and strength.
Who do you think plays themselves off this team?! I can't think of an aspirant to the team that is clearly better than any of those eight. (at this time in their respective careers.)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Who do you think plays themselves off this team?! I can't think of an aspirant to the team that is clearly better than any of those eight. (at this time in their respective careers.)

I think none (of the eight) plays themselves off, unless by illness or injury. Fowles seems most vulnerable.

I thin Griner. Stewie, McBride and one more (Diggins or Sims or NNeka)) play themselves on.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am not sold on McBride being the first choice in the wing/guard selection. I think Diggins, Robinson, and Sims are fighting for one spot as PG in training - Hartley (with the Geno experience) and Vandersloot (not there yet) probably trail those three. McBride unfortunately for her right now is probably in competition more with Augustus and Angel and to some degree with Maya and Stewart.
I believe the initial cut is made before they head for France, but there was some quote I read that suggested the team may play in France with more players than 12. Wouldn't be surprised if EDD, Vandersloot, and Dupree might be included in the travel group to give them more of a chance - EDD to see if she can lick this back issue, the others to see how they compare to the players selected out of camp that they would normally have been competing against.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree that the remaining 8 almost certainly make the team, unless there is another injury.

So we replace Parker, Catch, Swin, and Asjha. Note that ALL are front court players. That suggests Griner for sure, quite possibly Stewie, and, in my opinion, Nneka. At the moment, I think Skylar is the leading guard among the newbies. But 4 years from now, look for a certain 7th grader to wreak havoc internationally. MoJett has skills and smarts that maybe no other female on the planet does.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree that the remaining 8 almost certainly make the team, unless there is another injury.

So we replace Parker, Catch, Swin, and Asjha. Note that ALL are front court players. That suggests Griner for sure, quite possibly Stewie, and, in my opinion, Nneka. At the moment, I think Skylar is the leading guard among the newbies. But 4 years from now, look for a certain 7th grader to wreak havoc internationally. MoJett has skills and smarts that maybe no other female on the planet does.
Catch was really more of a wing I think than a 'forward' and while those numbers are true, the changing numbers are 32, 32, 34 for the three current returning pure guards/PGs. That has to be a huge concern for USA basketball for 2016 and 2018. They do not like to start a two year cycle with a completely new back court. And while we all hope that Sue, DT and Whalen play in 2016, there is no question that bodies of 34-36 year-old athletes are less resilient than the same athletes in their 20s.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Catch was really more of a wing I think than a 'forward' and while those numbers are true, the changing numbers are 32, 32, 34 for the three current returning pure guards/PGs. That has to be a huge concern for USA basketball for 2016 and 2018. They do not like to start a two year cycle with a completely new back court. And while we all hope that Sue, DT and Whalen play in 2016, there is no question that bodies of 34-36 year-old athletes are less resilient than the same athletes in their 20s.
That suggests to me that a new PG is added this year--not as a substitute, but as a supplement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom