USA training camp | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA training camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

genosguy

USA WBball site now excludes the three from the roster. Sounds like it makes Stewie and Nneka a virtual lock, and agreed may increase likelihood on others such as Chiney (yes, two sisters would be great) or maybe Bonner? Anyone who doubted her before the WNBA playoffs now has seen her defensive skills (vs. Maya Moore), which we know Geno appreciates.
The ogwumike sisters seem to me to be a shoe in---they are tigers inside, Chiney has a 3 ball shot--not like Samuelson, but ok. Stewie, when she is hitting is unstoppable, but her warm up time to get into the games seem much too long for Pro's or WC. Her 3 shot has not developed very well, and maybe (from frosh to Soph) dropped off more than a bit.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Anyone know if Angel is healthy? She was having foot problems at the of the WNBA season. Might she want to rest like Catchings and Parker? Just some good for thought?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I disagree with many posters who atttach a contingency to Stewie's selection to the team (e.g., "If EDD's health blah blah then Stewie may.........." or "If Catchings (or Parker) aren't participating blah blah then Stewie might.........").

Stewie is such an outstanding player that she belongs on the USA team. Period. No more ifs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, sounds much like the sciatica that 50-year old men get.
In the old days, they would lay you on your back with tranquilizers for 6 weeks
Luckily, mine never came back,
It sounds like a bulging disc or a ruptured one - something I know all too well having had three operations for the latter. And it happens at any age - my first one was at 32 and my last at 38.
With all back problems the first medical advice seems to be to spend six weeks lying on your back. They also used to try tension to stretch the joints though I think that has gone out of fashion.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I disagree with many posters who atttach a contingency to Stewie's selection to the team (e.g., "If EDD's health blah blah then Stewie may....." or "If Catchings (or Parker) aren't participating blah blah then Stewie might....").

Stewie is such an outstanding player that she belongs on the USA team. Period. No more ifs.
I tend to agree with you however... Stewie is currently competing against college kids, even if they are 2 or 3 years older than she is. I think that is different than going up against seasoned pros.

If there was only one spot open on the team and it came down to a very healthy EDD or Stewie, I'd have to go with EDD at this point. But in general I think you are spot on - I'd take Stewie over Nneka or Chiney. Stewie is much more versatile and while she may lack strength on the defensive end, she does not lack for effort...

Reaction Score
As long as Stewie has a good camp she's on the team, unlike the others, she can play 3 positions, and defend at all 3. The international game with the wider lane is more open, and you have to defend more space, that's why on the men's side James, Durant, Melo are important, and pure centers, are left off the teams.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with you however... Stewie is currently competing against college kids, even if they are 2 or 3 years older than she is. I think that is different than going up against seasoned pros.

If there was only one spot open on the team and it came down to a very healthy EDD or Stewie, I'd have to go with EDD at this point. But in general I think you are spot on - I'd take Stewie over Nneka or Chiney. Stewie is much more versatile and while she may lack strength on the defensive end, she does not lack for effort...

Yet another qualifying "however." Stewie belongs on that team. No ifs. No buts. No howevers. There are twelve spots on the roster and she has earned one. Period.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So, based on this picture it appears that Geno is 3 inches taller than Dawn, and Doug is two inches taller than Geno and Cheryl is about the same height as Geno. Dawn's bio lists her as 5'5" so that puts Geno and Cheryl at 5'8", and Doug at 5'10". Are we in agreement?!

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
real question: does Bird still have "it" at 34? clearly Taurasi, 2 years younger, still does. I think Odyssey Sims must be on the team - speed/defense and offense.
Would you pick Fowles (having 3 centers) or clear the space in C/PF for Chiney?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2014/09/quotes-from-day-1-of-usa-national-team-training.aspx

Quotes from coaches/players after day 1 of practice in the above link - Augustus says Sims and Dolson flashed during the practice.
There should be a story and photo gallery being loaded based on 'links' that don't yet work.
Here's to "The oldest player at the training camp". I think she's still got "it".

old_bird.jpg

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
real question: does Bird still have "it" at 34? clearly Taurasi, 2 years younger, still does. I think Odyssey Sims must be on the team - speed/defense and offense.
Would you pick Fowles (having 3 centers) or clear the space in C/PF for Chiney?

I say Fowles is the the #2 center already.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As some of us have been saying all along, illness and injury will affect the roster. Candace seemed healthy until recently. Catch, Seimone, Elena, and Syl had injuries at various times.

You can write Sue's name in. In ink.

I think we're looking at 4 or 5 Huskies and 0 LVs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yet another qualifying "however." Stewie belongs on that team. No ifs. No buts. No howevers. There are twelve spots on the roster and she has earned one. Period.
My "however" had to do with people comparing Stewie to the other players on team USA. Stewie goes up against college kids. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Nneka, Candice, Chiney, EDD go up against pros. Big difference. If you read my entire post, I said she belongs on the team. Period.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So, based on this picture it appears that Geno is 3 inches taller than Dawn, and Doug is two inches taller than Geno and Cheryl is about the same height as Geno. Dawn's bio lists her as 5'5" so that puts Geno and Cheryl at 5'8", and Doug at 5'10". Are we in agreement?!
Not sure. I can't see what kind of shoes Dawn and Doug are wearing. ;)

Reaction Score
Geno wants winners on Team USA........Give me 12 winners.........5 or 6 UCONN players.......EDD has a curse on herself.....When healthy, she is awesome.....The question is when is she healthy......We need more youth on the team........

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Biff said:
Here's to "The oldest player at the training camp". I think she's still got "it".

Having watched Sue Bird since she first set foot on the UConn campus, in my mind I always see her as young - 34 is young... Calling her old for me is unsettling.

Does this mean I too am getting old?
Hey I still remember my name!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Geno wants winners on Team USA...Give me 12 winners....5 or 6 UCONN players..EDD has a curse on herself.....When healthy, she is awesome.....The question is when is she healthy.We need more youth on the team...

Stewart will be on the team. I can only imagine seeing BG and Stewart controlling the paint with their long arms and shot blocking capabilities. And both are very good offensively, as well.

Here is the starting 5 I would like to see.
BG - 5
DT - 2
Whalen - PG
Maya - 3
Stewart - 4

sTu

Reaction Score
Tension is still "in." I have been doing it as part of my PT for Spinal Stenosis for the last six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom