USA Today's Christine Brennan weighs in | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA Today's Christine Brennan weighs in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How will they get to the bottom of this before the olympics if its the classic he said she said? The part about her losing her job you could debate in court but whether or not he grabbed her there were no witnesses because her friend got off the elevator on a different floor.

They could ask both Hardwick and Auriemma to take a lie detector test. I know, not full proof, but how else can they even get a hint of the truth? Two people (or one person) in a hallway can say anything and no one will ever know the truth. How can she prove Geno is a Lothario? How can he prove he is not? If you want to harm someone even without winning in court, this is a really good way. If Geno is not a Lothario but offended Hardwick in some way, she has hurt him badly even if there is never a trial.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
From Mike DiMauro:

" But I'd be remiss if I didn't say that the results of a day's worth of phone calls, e-mails and interviews on Tuesday didn't have me concerned."

Does he understand double negatives?
Mike is always doubly negative.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ms. Brennan's hair is on fire. This is a matter for the courts and will have to wend its way through the system (If there's any respect for justice. That said, I'm glad this isn't the NCAA - THEY are spineless.)
Rush is always fond of saying, "It's the seriousness of the accusation" that too often rules in these kinds of matters.

As for Mikey's :"But the evidence compiled Tuesday raises more questions than provides clear answers."
Your observations are no more "evidence" than Ms. Hardwick's legal filing.

Yep.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Brennan's column is too breathless for my taste, but she does raise a fair question: Is it sufficient for USA Basketball to respond by stating that it won't comment on pending litigation?

I don't think so and, apparently, neither does the USOC based on the statement by its representative ("Any allegation of this nature demands serious attention," said spokesman Patrick Sandusky, who added that the USOC is working with USA Basketball to "determine the facts.")

Reaction Score
They could ask both Hardwick and Auriemma to take a lie detector test. I know, not full proof, but how else can they even get a hint of the truth? Two people (or one person) in a hallway can say anything and no one will ever know the truth. How can she prove Geno is a Lothario? How can he prove he is not? If you want to harm someone even without winning in court, this is a really good way. If Geno is not a Lothario but offended Hardwick in some way, she has hurt him badly even if there is never a trial.

I imagine that the witnesses referred to are not going to be eyewitnesses to the alleged assault, rather those who presumably know about how Geno allegedly influenced her reassignment and lack of promotion. The thing is, if he did give bad reports of her behavior -- doing coaching that she has no business doing -- that might be adequate reason to have her reassigned. So her lawyer has to come up with an alternate theory to explain why she wasn't promoted, and a sexual harassment charge makes a heck of a smoke screen for her own behavior. Of course, that's just an opinion based on the few available facts we know so far.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I imagine that the witnesses referred to are not going to be eyewitnesses to the alleged assault, rather those who presumably know about how Geno allegedly influenced her reassignment and lack of promotion. The thing is, if he did give bad reports of her behavior -- doing coaching that she has no business doing -- that might be adequate reason to have her reassigned. So her lawyer has to come up with an alternate theory to explain why she wasn't promoted, and a sexual harassment charge makes a heck of a smoke screen for her own behavior. Of course, that's just an opinion based on the few available facts we know so far.

If he is going to claim that she was "coaching" then he is going to have to produce players and maybe other coaches who concur with this claim. If Hardwick filed a report of the alleged incident in 2009 then any reason that was used to have her removed from the position will probably be viewed with skepticism by many.

For every claim there is going to be an interview process and there will need to be supporting proof. He can't just say that she was coaching without providing proof that she was doing so.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I also find it interesting to hear that Hardwick offered coaching advice to the players. If that were the case it could certainly be the "unprofessional" behavior that was previously referenced.
Nan asked us not to speculate, but this does sound like interfering with the coaching, which would be unwelcome.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If he is going to claim that she was "coaching" then he is going to have to produce players and maybe other coaches who concur with this claim. If Hardwick filed a report of the alleged incident in 2009 then any reason that was used to have her removed from the position will probably be viewed with skepticism by many.

For every claim there is going to be an interview process and there will need to be supporting proof. He can't just say that she was coaching without providing proof that she was doing so.

Who said he would claim she was coaching? Only thing Geno said was that the allegations were "beyond false."

Lots of wild and irresponsible speculation going on with no basis in fact.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan asked us not to speculate, but this does sound like interfering with the coaching, which would be unwelcome.
The topic was brought up in a newspapers so it's "out there".

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Who said he would claim she was coaching? Only thing Geno said was that the allegations were "beyond false."

Lots of wild and irresponsible speculation going on with no basis in fact.

It was mentioned in the DiMauro column. If this is "wild and irresponsible speculation" it is not mine so send him a nastygram instead of me.

From the article:
Sources said Tuesday that Auriemma grew irritated with Hardwick on USA Basketball trips for overstepping her bounds as head of security and talking to players about, among other things, coaching.
"Not with me," Jones said. "That's not her job."
Charles said she had no knowledge of that.

Reaction Score
Ms. Brennan's hair is on fire. This is a matter for the courts and will have to wend its way through the system (If there's any respect for justice. That said, I'm glad this isn't the NCAA - THEY are spineless.)
Rush is always fond of saying, "It's the seriousness of the accusation" that too often rules in these kinds of matters.

As for Mikey's :"But the evidence compiled Tuesday raises more questions than provides clear answers."
Your observations are no more "evidence" than Ms. Hardwick's legal filing.

Let's all calm down.

Rush who?

Reaction Score
Sad to see that the article only considered the "what if it's true"s and none of the "what if it's not true"s
This is the time for all the Geno-haters (and there are many of them) to throw him under the bus as quickly as possible. Truth matters little anymore.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the media isn't interested in either justice or fairness. They want a "story". "LOW LEVEL EMPLOYEE LIES " is page 6 material. "US Olympic Coach Harasses Women" however, has legs and would be a page 1 story and a big career boost for any writer or talking head who jumps on the bandwagon early. Is there any doubt which way the media would like to see this go? No hatred. Just business.

Reaction Score
... I don't think so and, apparently, neither does the USOC based on the statement by its representative ("Any allegation of this nature demands serious attention," said spokesman Patrick Sandusky ...
Sandusky? That has got to be the most unfortunate last name for a spokesman for any sports organization in the United States to have to bear right now.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sandusky? That has got to be the most unfortunate last name for a spokesman for any sports organization in the United States to have to bear right now.

That's what I thought

Reaction Score
Follow the money. There are big bucks in these allegations.
I predict USA basketball will pay her off to make the thing go away and Geno will never have his day in court.

This happens often and the accused is shafted either way.

This happened where I worked. In that case it was because someone did not get a promotion and then made accusations.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Man, I bet there is a part of Geno that wishes he had never taken the USA gig.

I wonder if previous Olympic coaches who worked with her could be pulled in to vouch for her performance.

Reaction Score
This will most certainly be resolved one way or another as far as the Olympics are concerned. The NBA is certainly a large enough organization that they can conduct a very serious investigation and conclude if the allegations are true or false before July 27.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This will most certainly be resolved one way or another as far as the Olympics are concerned. The NBA is certainly a large enough organization that they can conduct a very serious investigation and conclude if the allegations are true or false before July 27.
Far more likely that the review would be whether Geno had a role in her removal from this assignment and whether the removal was for an appropriate reason. That's far more easily quantified that than a three year old allegation. For what it worth, I think this has already taken place and the results did not make Hardwick happy, thus the lawsuit. She wanted an investigation consisting of asking people whether she related a story three years ago, rather than a performance review to determine whether the discharge was for a legimate reason. When she didn't get the answer she wanted she sued.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Man, I bet there is a part of Geno that wishes he had never taken the USA gig.

I wonder if previous Olympic coaches who worked with her could be pulled in to vouch for her performance.
That would be exactly two head coaches and staff. Those would be 2004 van Chancellor and assistants Anne Donovan, C Viv, and Gail G. And in 2008 Anne Donovan and assistants Gail G., Dawn Staley, and Mike Thibault. I would bet as JS suggested the plaintiff's representation is betting on never getting to that point. But as a story line for leverage, absolutely.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Brennan's words ("stalked, etc.) were taken directly from the complaint.
She was not fired, just reassigned.

If Hardwick was indeed "stalked, assaulted and battered" we all would have heard about it long before now.

"Stalked", "assaulted", and "battered" are maximum impact, lawyer-chosen words. They are not words that come even close to describing the specific actions that Geno has been accused of ---- namely: placing his hand on Hardwick's arm and attempting to kiss her.

This whole lawsuit is a pile of horse-squeeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom