USA Today's Christine Brennan weighs in | The Boneyard

USA Today's Christine Brennan weighs in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How will they get to the bottom of this before the olympics if its the classic he said she said? The part about her losing her job you could debate in court but whether or not he grabbed her there were no witnesses because her friend got off the elevator on a different floor.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
This really makes me nervous. I thought people were innocent until proven guilty in this country. The timing of all this is also strange, isn't it? Is she suggesting that accusations mean a person should resign? This is completely wrong.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Seems like all the "witnesses" were all told by Hardwick. Hard to believe it wouldn't have come up before given "so many people knew about it" and a secret is no longer a secret when told to someone else. Geno is a major public figure - hard to keep secrets in this world today.

btw, None of the witness testimony will be admissable due to the fact that NO ONE witnessed it, it's all heresay. Oh, and she just keeps her job for 3 years and then is fired. Possible she screwed something else up and was just let go?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
or, she played poker with an "or else" card, and they called her "bluff".

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Seems like all the "witnesses" were all told by Hardwick. Hard to believe it wouldn't have come up before given "so many people knew about it" and a secret is no longer a secret when told to someone else. Geno is a major public figure - hard to keep secrets in this world today.

btw, None of the witness testimony will be admissable due to the fact that NO ONE witnessed it, it's all heresay. Oh, and she just keeps her job for 3 years and then is fired. Possible she screwed something else up and was just let go?

She was not fired, just reassigned.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Sad to see that the article only considered the "what if it's true"s and none of the "what if it's not true"s

opinions are like......ummm...noses...everyone has one. This is just opinion

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I have never been impressed with Brennan's opinions. In this one, she seems to be whining. How can she possibly expect a man to lose an Olympic coaching assignment, just because someone is making allegations?

Reaction Score
C Brennan said "stalked, assaulted and battered”; her choice of words brings more attention and seriousness to the story. When I was in first grade I tried to steal a kiss from a girl I had a crush on, she hit me with her metal lunchbox in the head... ouch. I never considered myself a stalker or that I assaulted her but I did feel battered.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
C Brennan said "stalked, assaulted and battered”; her choice of words brings more attention and seriousness to the story. When I was in first grade I tried to steal a kiss from a girl I had a crush on, she hit me with her metal lunchbox in the head... ouch. I never considered myself a stalker or that I assaulted her but I did feel battered.

Brennan's words ("stalked, etc.) were taken directly from the complaint.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
How exactly are there witnesses if no one witnessed anything?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Not her choice of words. I believe they are verbatim from the allegations filed in the lawsuit.

I'll repeat myself - there is no way that Auriemma comes out of this unscathed.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
This really makes me nervous. I thought people were innocent until proven guilty in this country.

Most folks just play lip service to that presumption.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Not her choice of words. I believe they are verbatim from the allegations filed in the lawsuit.

I'll repeat myself - there is no way that Auriemma comes out of this unscathed.

I think Boneyarders are aware of this.

JS

Reaction Score
Most folks just play lip service to that presumption.
Nonetheless, the idea that he'd be yanked from the Olympics at this late date based on an unconfirmed allegation that he made a pass at somebody is far-fetched.

And the rest of the allegation, that he got that person reassigned, has all kinds of problems that won't be resolved in this time frame and wouldn't be of clear import for his coaching position if they were.

This lady seems out for his scalp, with her own boost of urgency. Her treatment of the matter has far less balance or circumspection than others.

Reaction Score
Christine Brennan outlines (actually she revels in) the consequences to Auriemma if Hardwick's allegations are true and then attempts to tie those allegations to completely unrelated sexual harassment cases that have plagued the NBA. She declines to consider the possibility that these claims are not true and she very obviously makes no reference to the sterling reputation that Auriemma has developed over his coaching career. I have never considered Christine Brennan to be particularly objective. She confirms that observation with this article.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I find this an interesting statement in DiMauro's column. Is this just stating that the players like her and will be character and professional witnesses or that there are players who are going to confirm some of Hardwick's claims?

"If this goes down the way I believe it will," one source said, "people will be surprised who will come to (Hardwick's) aid. That includes players."

This is what worries me about the team. If this is the case then there could certainly be some strife among the players if they start discussing this and the players take different sides on who they support.

I also find it interesting to hear that Hardwick offered coaching advice to the players. If that were the case it could certainly be the "unprofessional" behavior that was previously referenced.

Reaction Score
Ms. Brennan's hair is on fire. This is a matter for the courts and will have to wend its way through the system (If there's any respect for justice. That said, I'm glad this isn't the NCAA - THEY are spineless.)
Rush is always fond of saying, "It's the seriousness of the accusation" that too often rules in these kinds of matters.

As for Mikey's :"But the evidence compiled Tuesday raises more questions than provides clear answers."
Your observations are no more "evidence" than Ms. Hardwick's legal filing.

Let's all calm down.

Reaction Score
Would this be the same Christine Brennan who said that Erin Andrews asked for it when a man was peeping in her hotel room because she used her sex appeal on tv? So much for sister power. I guess only certain women deserve Ms. Brennan's moral high ground.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I just read Christine Brennan's column. My opinion:
Stop.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics