USA TODAY Sports women's basketball All-American teams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA TODAY Sports women's basketball All-American teams

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Even though it would mean Kia wouldn't make the WBCA All American Team, USA Today's Top 10 would not be a bad ALL American Team.

If there was a player I wouldn't have in the Top 10, it would be Arike Ogunbowale, even though she has the stats.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I hear you. But Collier is 2nd in points, rebounds, and minutes for the undefeated #1 team in the nation. That goes a long ways with these types of awards.
Just as when Morgan Tuck played in the shadow of probably the top two players in NCAA WCBB, I am pleased that the pundits saw the consistently efficient and effective effort and rewarded it appropriately.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No Lexie Brown? at all?

View attachment 29194
I am 100% with you on this! I really don't understand the Brooke McCarty choice this year, she was brutal and was not even the best player on her own team. For those of us who think Pheesa had a down year, go look at McCarty's stat drop off.
Just to frustrate many of us here's McCarty vs. Brown:

McCarty 31.9 min per, .418 FG%, .377 3-Pt% 4.4 reb, 138 Assists, 51 TO's, 48 steals 13.9 Pts per
Brown 35 min per, .470 FG%, .384 3-Pt%, 4.5 reb, 131 Assists, 93 TO's, 106 steals, 20.1 Pts per

Brown had a better FG%, better 3 pt %, more rebounds, slightly less assists, more turnovers offset by many more steals and 6 points per game more. Plus Lexie meant more to her team than McCarty.

McCarty got it on last years reputation. What ever happened to scribes you know, thinking?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Just for the sake of pedantry :): Mikayla Vaughn is the freshman post player. Mychal Johnson is the senior guard.

It's sometimes hard to keep all the Mikayla/Michaela/Mychal names straight...
...and Muffet McGraw, Marina Mabry, my goodness you've mm'd us to the m'th degree! :D

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Of course, this is the "top 5" with some acknowledgement of position.

Assuming Lou can be in 2 places at once, it'd be interesting to see this team play the current UConn team. Not sure the all-americans would have such an easy time of it, especially if Z gets to play as 6th man.

The USA AA team won't stand a chance. The UCONN Lou would face guard and lock down the AA Lou, and with Kia doing the same to Wilson, the AA team is toast.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
The MM COY was somewhat of a surprise....there was a least a couple more deserving IMO. Candidly, maybe its her lack of graciousness around the Stewie and Durr events or the flopping incidents over the years that taint my view of her.

It's very obvious that I'm biased, but even after all the injuries, there is not a starter in the ND lineup that wasn't rated higher coming out of HS than every player on the Mississippi State team, including our 1st team AA. With the caveat that Geno deserves it pretty much every year, Vic deserves it this year.

Reaction Score
Gabby > Vivians.....all day every day. End of discussion.

(I even think McGowan over Vivians)

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Gabby > Vivians.....all day every day. End of discussion.

(I even think McGowan over Vivians)

No comment on Gabby vs VV other than they are both wonderful players, but I can assure you that the vast majority of MSU fans know who the leader and most vital player is for the 2018 Bulldogs, and our post is really good too (and named McCowan).

Reaction Score
It's very obvious that I'm biased, but even after all the injuries, there is not a starter in the ND lineup that wasn't rated higher coming out of HS than every player on the Mississippi State team, including our 1st team AA. With the caveat that Geno deserves it pretty much every year, Vic deserves it this year.
Totally agree.....Vic should be recognized for bringing the Miss State program into prominence

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Gabby’s easily one of the 5 best players in the country, but All American awards are given to who has had the best season...very different criteria. 10.6 points, 7.5 rebounds, 5 assists and 2.5 steals isn’t 1st team worthy IMO. People mention her defense, but she didn’t win DPOY in her conference, so I just don’t see a strong argument for it, especially compared to the other players on this list and what they’ve accomplished this year. I think Vivians is absolutely deserving of 1st team and I agree with the 1st team list.

Leaving McCowan off is a big surprise, I’m guessing the poor showing against SC was fresh in voter memory when the votes came in. She’s had a remarkable season and Mississippi State is 32-1. I’d put her on 2nd team. I feel like I’m always defending her so maybe I’m in the minority there, but she’s had an outstanding year and Mississippi State has been a steady top 2-3 team all year.

No issue at all with Collier making third. She hasn’t been a huge standout like last year, but she’s quietly put together a fantastic season. I know a lot of people would rather see Nurse on these teams, but I think Napheesa has had a better season overall.

Reaction Score
Admittedly I have not read the second page of comments...with that said....

No Kia Nurse anywhere? Does that make any sense?
It only makes sense not to see Kia Nurse anywhere on the All-American team IF they are being literal about "American", since she is Canadian.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Gabby’s easily one of the 5 best players in the country, but All American awards are given to who has had the best season...very different criteria. 10.6 points, 7.5 rebounds, 5 assists and 2.5 steals isn’t 1st team worthy IMO. People mention her defense, but she didn’t win DPOY in her conference, so I just don’t see a strong argument for it, especially compared to the other players on this list and what they’ve accomplished this year. I think Vivians is absolutely deserving of 1st team and I agree with the 1st team list.

Leaving McCowan off is a big surprise, I’m guessing the poor showing against SC was fresh in voter memory when the votes came in. She’s had a remarkable season and Mississippi State is 32-1. I’d put her on 2nd team. I feel like I’m always defending her so maybe I’m in the minority there, but she’s had an outstanding year and Mississippi State has been a steady top 2-3 team all year.

I'll simply say that McCowan is one of the 15 best players in the country this year. Actually I'll say a bit more...

Brittany McPhee 17 ppg, 5 rpg, 2.4 apg, 45% fg, 26% 3fg, 722 minutes played for a 22-10 team
Teaira McCowan 17.7 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 2 bpg, 60% fg, 963 minutes played for a 32-1 team

Is there a competent defense for McPhee being on the 3rd team over McCowan (or numerous others)?

McPhee did have a great and memorable game in the Trees' win over Oregon with 33. McCowan had 35, 19 & 5 blocks on 15-18 shooting against the Ducks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll simply say that McCowan is one of the 15 best players in the country this year. Actually I'll say a bit more...

Brittany McPhee 17 ppg, 5 rpg, 2.4 apg, 45% fg, 26% 3fg, 722 minutes played for a 22-10 team
Teaira McCowan 17.7 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 2 bpg, 60% fg, 963 minutes played for a 32-1 team

Is there a competent defense for McPhee being on the 3rd team over McCowan (or numerous others)?

McPhee did have a great and memorable game in the Trees' win over Oregon with 33. McCowan had 35, 19 & 5 blocks on 15-18 shooting against the Ducks.
If it went by individual games. Aja Wilson didnt have any AA Games against Uconn in 4 years. But she always had McCowans number.

Reaction Score

McPhee is a guard and McCowans a forward. You do know the difference between the two. Also McPhee was injured and missed games this year.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
If it went by individual games. Aja Wilson didnt have any AA Games against Uconn in 4 years. But she always had McCowans number.

Where did I say it went by individual games? I laid out the season stats for a 3rd team AA vs McCowan . Only mentioned Oregon games because that was McPhee's signature game this year and McCowan had an even better game vs them. Didn't mention A'ja at all, but if getting 20 boards against SC in Starkville is a rough game then I'll take a lot of those. She's not the player A'ja is and I didn't make that argument.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
McPhee is a guard and McCowans a forward. You do know the difference between the two. Also McPhee was injured and missed games this year.

Not sure why you went full on rude here, but I'll play. McCowan (note the lack of an s) is 6'7" and among the biggest players in the country. Not too many of those are forwards. You do know what a Post player is don't you?

There are three guards on the 3rd team AA list so obviously each team is not made up of 2 guards, 2 forwards and 1 center. Probably just the 15 highest vote getters.

I am sorry that McPhee got injured, but AA honors should take into account a season's work and if you miss games and better candidates put up better numbers then so be it. I'll wait for your argument as to how McPhee's seasonal numbers qualify her as an AA over McCowan or Nurse or any number of other players?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Vic deserves it. The job he's done this year has been remarkable. He really gets the best out of his players and Mississippi State has surpassed everyone's expectations. Muffet has done a remarkable job too but this isn't her year to win COY. Honestly all of the top 6 coaches have done fantastic jobs this season, but Vic should win.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Vic deserves it. The job he's done this year has been remarkable. He really gets the best out of his players and Mississippi State has surpassed everyone's expectations. Muffet has done a remarkable job too but this isn't her year to win COY. Honestly all of the top 6 coaches have done fantastic jobs this season, but Vic should win.

I appreciate your sentiment and agree that there have been some great coaching jobs done among the top teams this year. MSU is 32-1 against a solid if not spectacular schedule, just had the best SEC season in 20 years and I have to acknowledge that their resume really doesn't make them a for sure 1 seed (although I think they will be). Top 5 are really good. It's going to be a great tourney once we get to the Sweet Sixteen.

Reaction Score
I appreciate your sentiment and agree that there have been some great coaching jobs done among the top teams this year. MSU is 32-1 against a solid if not spectacular schedule, just had the best SEC season in 20 years and I have to acknowledge that their resume really doesn't make them a for sure 1 seed (although I think they will be). Top 5 are really good. It's going to be a great tourney once we get to the Sweet Sixteen.

South Carolina 2015-2016 was 31-1 going into the tournament with a SEC regular season and a SEC tournament championship. Also went 16-0 in the conference. Only loss was to UConn at that point. By virtue of duel championship I would say that was a better season.

Reaction Score
Where did I say it went by individual games? I laid out the season stats for a 3rd team AA vs McCowan . Only mentioned Oregon games because that was McPhee's signature game this year and McCowan had an even better game vs them. Didn't mention A'ja at all, but if getting 20 boards against SC in Starkville is a rough game then I'll take a lot of those. She's not the player A'ja is and I didn't make that argument.
You compared how they each played against Oregon. You cant compare a guard and a center!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom