USA TODAY Sports women's basketball All-American teams | The Boneyard

USA TODAY Sports women's basketball All-American teams

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It seems there may be an underlying rational in the ordering of the picks. With Aja first and Lou second, are they trying to simply order players 1-15 since there is no alphabetical order and no real pattern of position I can see?

Reaction Score
Of course, this is the "top 5" with some acknowledgement of position.

Assuming Lou can be in 2 places at once, it'd be interesting to see this team play the current UConn team. Not sure the all-americans would have such an easy time of it, especially if Z gets to play as 6th man.

Reaction Score
That suggests preseason 2018-19 AA :) of ....

FIRST TEAM

C Kalani Brown, 6-7, SR, Baylor
G/F Katie Lou Samuelson, 6-3, SR, Connecticut
G Asia Durr, 5-10, SR, Louisville
G Sabrina Ionescu, 5-10, JR, Oregon
G Arike Ogunbowale, 5-8, SR, Notre Dame

SECOND TEAM

F Megan Gustafson, 6-3, SR, Iowa
F Napheesa Collier, 6-1, SR, Connecticut

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No Lexie Brown? at all?

panda.gif

Reaction Score
The MM COY was somewhat of a surprise....there was a least a couple more deserving IMO. Candidly, maybe its her lack of graciousness around the Stewie and Durr events or the flopping incidents over the years that taint my view of her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The MM COY was somewhat of a surprise....there was a least a couple more deserving IMO. Candidly, maybe its her lack of graciousness around the Stewie and Durr events or the flopping incidents over the years that taint my view of her.
Yeah, that and what she said about Durr this year. Muffett did a good job, but she got a huge bonus from the NCAA by their inexplicable decision on Shepard. I though Vic was the best coach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That suggests preseason 2018-19 AA :) of ....

FIRST TEAM

C Kalani Brown, 6-7, SR, Baylor
G/F Katie Lou Samuelson, 6-3, SR, Connecticut
G Asia Durr, 5-10, SR, Louisville
G Sabrina Ionescu, 5-10, JR, Oregon
G Arike Ogunbowale, 5-8, SR, Notre Dame

SECOND TEAM

F Megan Gustafson, 6-3, SR, Iowa
F Napheesa Collier, 6-1, SR, Connecticut
And all of these players were also on the 2017-18 pre-season team.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
All rationale choices with the premium, as usual place on scoring. I would swap out Vivians or Durr for Gabby as I think she's better than both.

I'd swap out 3, but USA Today is more into regional distribution than empirical AA team building.

Reaction Score
Likely a reflection of playing for an under the radar team. I dont think I heard her, or even Duke more generally, mentioned once this year in a broader wcbb discussion.

As for those that think is everything is against UConn, I think Collier making 3rd team works against that. I love Pheesa, but I think she got overshadowed by her teammates and did not have a remarkable year.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
USA TODAY Sports women's basketball All-American teams

FIRST TEAM
F A’ja Wilson, 6-5, senior, South Carolina
G/F Katie Lou Samuelson, 6-3, junior, Connecticut
G Asia Durr, 5-10, junior, Louisville
G Sabrina Ionescu, 5-10, sophomore, Oregon
G Victoria Vivians, 6-1, senior, Mississippi State
If A'ja is "one of the most unique (sic) players in the women’s game" what qualified superlatives are left for UCONN's 5'11"
Center jumper supreme/forward/wing/defensive POY/assist leader/steals-rebounding whiz?

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
If A'ja is "one of the most unique (sic) players in the women’s game" what qualified superlatives are left for UCONN's 5'11"
Center jumper supreme/forward/wing/defensive POY/assist leader/steals-rebounding whiz?
How about Gabby "LT" Williams?
The LT stands for 'Lotsa Trouble' for the opposition. ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To a degree I do agree with you but... She had a boatload of injuries to key players - Turner (POY candidate), Mychal Johnson (SR guard), Mikayla Vaughn (FR post), and Lilli Thompson (PG - transfer - sr).

In spite of all those injuries (some early in the season and some late), ND is still a legit 1 seed and threat to make the final 4. I don't care for her, but have no issue with her getting COY. I do get that there are some teams that seemingly came out of nowhere to do very well and maybe they should get more consideration, but no team has had to deal with more injuries to key players (ND essentially lost at least 2 starters)...

I'm with those who are confused by the omission of Lexi Brown...

landscape-1470413518-britney-confused.gif

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
A lot of good players didn't make this list. Everyone has their biases, who you root for or who you watch more frequently plays a role. 3 players I could make a case for that are absent are Ruthy Hebard, Monique Billings and Marie Gulich.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom