USA Today: Real travesty of Baylor's loss is it came in a matchup with UConn that should have been women's title game | The Boneyard

USA Today: Real travesty of Baylor's loss is it came in a matchup with UConn that should have been women's title game

Reaction Score

SAN ANTONIO — Maybe it was a foul. Maybe it wasn’t. It depends on your vantage point, your perspective and your allegiances, probably.

But then what about all the other calls, some of which went Baylor’s way until the one that didn’t? Sports are imperfect. That’s why they’re such a terrific reflection of humanity. Calls are made, calls are missed, and you are left to live with the outcome, good or bad.

These are two of the best programs in the country, and they had no business playing each other this early.

It’s a shame that this game will be remembered for one botched call, rather than the brilliance of Bueckers. But the real shame is that this game was played now, rather than Sunday night.

Reaction Score
Bird, Taurasi split over non-call in UConn’s latest win.
And as for which side of the debate Bird is on, she said: “You know what if there’s no call, there’s no foul right.”

Diana Taurasi, who led UConn to three straight national titles herself, had a different take.

The woman Bird pointed to when asked who the best women’s player was only a few minutes earlier, said: “If I was the one shooting, I’d be pretty mad right now.”

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe summed up my thoughts, which I've said here a bunch of times. To paraphrase, he said "we're all arguing about the call, but let's not lose the fact that we're talking about WBB". Any publicity is good publicity baby. Keep it up. I'll take it for as long as I can.

JordyG

Reaction Score
The article pretty much states what Caroline Peck said immediately after the game and in every interview since.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe summed up my thoughts, which I've said here a bunch of times. To paraphrase, he said "we're all arguing about the call, but let's not lose the fact that we're talking about WBB". Any publicity is good publicity baby. Keep it up. I'll take it for as long as I can.
I was listening to Fox Sports Radio last night... and the game (call) was the lead story. Same with the Dan Patrick Show this morning. These national shows never talk about WBB.. if they do.. its just a mere mention or two, not entire segments. Even the NC statewide Sports show this afternoon... they talked about it for a segment.

Reaction Score
Bird, Taurasi split over non-call in UConn’s latest win.
And as for which side of the debate Bird is on, she said: “You know what if there’s no call, there’s no foul right.”

Diana Taurasi, who led UConn to three straight national titles herself, had a different take.

The woman Bird pointed to when asked who the best women’s player was only a few minutes earlier, said: “If I was the one shooting, I’d be pretty mad right now.”

Mystery solved on who “Pepper” is (very young sounding interviewer on a couple recent press conferences). Read down in the article and there’s a blurb about 10-year-old journalist Pepper Persley. Been covering WBB for 4 years. Has 2 podcasts and works for Howard Megdal at The Next. Howard reached out to her last year after noticing her professionalism on WNBA Zoom news conferences.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I was listening to Fox Sports Radio last night... and the game (call) was the lead story. Same with the Dan Patrick Show this morning. These national shows never talk about WBB.. if they do.. its just a mere mention or two, not entire segments. Even the NC statewide Sports show this afternoon... they talked about it for a segment.
I'll take every syllable. Keep it coming.

Reaction Score
Evidently the SC and Stanford teams read it also. I hear both teams are packing as we speak and flying out this afternoon. So, looks like UConn and AZ are playing for the NC Friday.

Baylor's Kim Mulkey has evidence on her phone.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While they may be talking about the foul that wasn’t called in Waco for many years to come, the life cycle for this story is just about over at the national level. Why? Because there’s no money in whining.

Right now if you’re ESPN and you want to attract more viewers, or if you’re part of the print media industry and you want to attract more readers, it’s all about promoting UConn WBB and their precocious freshman superstar. Whether you love UConn WBB, hate UConn WBB or are just interested in all the buzz, that’s why you will tune in.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While they may be talking about the foul that wasn’t called in Waco for many years to come, the life cycle for this story is just about over at the national level. Why? Because there’s no money in whining.

Right now if you’re ESPN and you want to attract more viewers, or if you’re part of the print media industry and you want to attract more readers, it’s all about promoting UConn WBB and their precocious freshman superstar. Whether you love UConn WBB, hate UConn WBB or are just interested in all the buzz, that’s why you will tune in.
and the Paige / Jalen Story line is pure gold.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Using a legit S curve there is no way Baylor and UConn would meet.

The committee chose to make this happen.
The question is, was this an intentional move to hurt UCONN's chance to advance? I usually scoff at conspiracy theories, this one has me scratching my folically challenged head.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Not for me I still lament the excitement a Maryland SC game would have provided. I was happy for Texas beating Maryland but felt their next game would be a bummer, I had no idea it would be so bad.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The question is, was this an intentional move to hurt UCONN's chance to advance? I usually scoff at conspiracy theories, this one has me scratching my folically challenged head.

Or rather (switching to the positive) "an intentional move" to toughen them up
so they'd be more ready for the rigors of the final-four. :)

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Or rather (switching to the positive) "an intentional move" to toughen them up
so they'd be more ready for the rigors of the final-four. :)
Interesting take, perhaps but I think this theory gives them credit beyond their competence level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom