USA Basketball | The Boneyard

USA Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We had a thread about 'Uconn Basketball' - I just want to say how much I am enjoying watching USA basketball with Geno coaching. I love watching the chemistry between the MN players, the play of CP3 when she is playing the point on the press, Angel working on the O boards as well as being just nasty on defense, Catch and Maya playing together, the USA linebacker (Whalen taking the title from our Uconn one), Augustus breaking ankles and that silky shot. And Geno getting on everyone and demanding excellence! (Good to see Sylvia back as well and playing better than she had previously I think.)

Now I love seeing all the ex-Uconn players as well, but I see them first with the USA on the jersey - and they are great!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
check out the facebook page - it is about the UConn women's basketball on the Boneyard forum and currently the posts are all about USA basketball with few exceptions.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Really, really impressive game. I'm so happy that, on the NBC main stage, Team USA came out and played the brand of basketball they are capable of playing. That was a great display of what women's basketball can be. After the Czech game, I spoke about the difference between winning, even easily, and inspiring. Today was an inspiring performance.

As far as the rest of the tourney goes, you're not always going to shoot 60+% from the field and 50+% from three, but Team USA did a great job creating good shots and playing devastating defense. And as long as you do that, you're going to win, especially given the talent advantage.

Other things that I enjoyed:
  • Sue played really well- first time she's been appreciably better than Whalen.
  • CP3 played with a ton of energy and precision.
  • Maya is making the most of her starting role and is going to be starting for Team USA in 2016 and 2020. Really miss seeing those swooping drives live.
  • Indeed, Syl is back and seems to be playing with a little more fluidity.
  • Geno only did it for a few minutes, but the Tina-Syl frontcourt was highly entertaining.
  • D is playing like D again.
  • McCoughtry played within herself today, and if she can keep doing that, watch out.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Great analysis from Alex.

-Was he implying what many of us were seeing but not expressing that until today, Sue had been underwhelming Of course she's been through a lot of late and it certainly must have an effect on her game. Hope she's over it.

- Seems like (at least for the moment), that Asjha and Swin are the last off the bench and have mop up duty. Is it possible (and I'm sure the rest of the country will so think) that those spots might have been given to younger players to get some Olympic experience. Nneka and EDD come to mind.

- I keep fretting (I know Doggy, I'm a negative worry-wart) that this amazing effort has to take something out of Geno just at a time when he is scheduled to develop the most remarkable class in years. In my field, I've seen seen of the very best, struggle with this problem. I know, we all think that he is Superman+, but I wonder.

Reaction Score
Great analysis from Alex.

-Was he implying what many of us were seeing but not expressing that until today, Sue had been underwhelming Of course she's been through a lot of late and it certainly must have an effect on her game. Hope she's over it.

- Seems like (at least for the moment), that Asjha and Swin are the last off the bench and have mop up duty. Is it possible (and I'm sure the rest of the country will so think) that those spots might have been given to younger players to get some Olympic experience. Nneka and EDD come to mind.

- I keep fretting (I know Doggy, I'm a negative worry-wart) that this amazing effort has to take something out of Geno just at a time when he is scheduled to develop the most remarkable class in years. In my field, I've seen seen of the very best, struggle with this problem. I know, we all think that he is Superman+, but I wonder.

I think this is going to leave him energized... watch out!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I keep fretting (I know Doggy, I'm a negative worry-wart) that this amazing effort has to take something out of Geno just at a time when he is scheduled to develop the most remarkable class in years. In my field, I've seen seen of the very best, struggle with this problem. I know, we all think that he is Superman+, but I wonder.

I agree totally. Geno will be exhausted when this is done. He'll be home mid-August and only have 2 months before practice starts. He'll be napping every afternoon like every other 58 year old. Trust me, I know. Hopefully, he will get enough rest that he will be ready for practice. Maybe he can end them by 2:00 so he can nap in his office. Then he will be fully rest by the time the games start in November.

Keep your fingers crossed. But don't be surprised if the cameras catch him asleep on the bench. I mean, how much can a man his age take??

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sue had been underwhelming Of course she's been through a lot of late and it certainly must have an effect on her game. Hope she's over it.

doggy replied to your other comments but didn't address the above 2. Sue had at least 10 assists the other day. she's a facilitator. she's not going to drop a ton of points on anyone unless her team is way off and she's way on. Sue is a pure PG. Whalen is a scoring PG. Sue would rather set up the offense and dish assists. Whalen would rather drive to the basket and draw contact and get a foul. I've watched every game and have not noted anything like your comments about Sue.

Nneka and EDD were not in the pool. if you were going to leave off Swin and Ashja, it would have been for Appel, and the other 4's that were in the Olympic pool. in the future, i imagine that Nneka will be one of the players to replace Swin and Ashja. EDD? not so much. at 6'5", she's nowhere near as good in the post as parker, and her defense is a huge liability in covering other guards. you'd have to take McCaughtry or Augustus off the team if you were to put EDD on the team in the future.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
EDD and Nneka will be on the next team and we'll be having this argument about Stewie.

Reaction Score
Seems like (at least for the moment), that Asjha and Swin are the last off the bench and have mop up duty. Is it possible (and I'm sure the rest of the country will so think) that those spots might have been given to younger players to get some Olympic experience. Nneka and EDD come to mind.

That would be a misunderstanding of what the spots for the 11th and 12th player are for. Those spots are for insurance against emergencies, not development. In an emergency whether it is a major injury or just the team playing poorly you want experience. Asjha is there because she was the best equipped to defend centers if someone like Sylvia went down, while also being the best offensive counterpoint if Tina or Sylvia were struggling against international play offensively. Both of those situations have happened to this point. Swin somewhat similarly has the versatility to play in any situation and in just about any combination of players, while still being able to consistently count on her energy and the fundamental things she does consistently like run the floor in the proper lane hard every possession.

If you want to develop a player they should be good enough to be in the main rotation like Maya, Candace, and Sylvia were as college players. If they're not ready for that or aren't one of the 10 best players then it isn't there time to be on team yet.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Not to prolong this discussion but I'm speaking about two of the finest players in the land. Does anyone seriously doubt that Nneka couldn't step in and contribute.? And does anyone think that EDD will be guarding guards at the next level?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Nneka and EDD are certainly capable of scoring, but that is not enough to put them on the team. They have to show the ability to defend in international play, something thay have not yet done, nor have they shown much promise as defenders thus far in their careers. That is just for starters, they must also show that they can contribute to the National Team in other ways.

There are plenty of collegiate All Americans who have never even sniffed joining the national team, mostly because they put up gaudy scoring stats, but they lacked the ability to defend, or some other key fundamental.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
doggy replied to your other comments but didn't address the above 2. Sue had at least 10 assists the other day. she's a facilitator. she's not going to drop a ton of points on anyone unless her team is way off and she's way on. Sue is a pure PG. Whalen is a scoring PG. Sue would rather set up the offense and dish assists. Whalen would rather drive to the basket and draw contact and get a foul. I've watched every game and have not noted anything like your comments about Sue.

Agree completely. On a team this talented, Sue sees her role as a facilitator and she is currently second among all olympic players in assists. It reminds me of the national championship game in 2000 when UConn defeated Tennessee. Sue scored only 4 points and had 4 assists but was in complete command of the team that night. I said after that game that Sue will be one of the best point guards in the game and that's exactly what's happened. She's a different type of player than Whalen and the team has and will need both of them to play well. Sue seems to have found her shot and she's making terrific passes to her teammates.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not to prolong this discussion but I'm speaking about two of the finest players in the land. Does anyone seriously doubt that Nneka couldn't step in and contribute.? And does anyone think that EDD will be guarding guards at the next level?
yes i do. where do you see EDD playing were she to be on the national team? you have guaranteed spots at the 4 and 5 for the next 10 years of Griner, Charles, Fowles and Parker. Then you have Moore and McCaughtry at the 3 spot. they will be on the team for the next 10 years too. You mean to tell me that EDD is better than any of those players? not even close. And Catch prefers to play the 4, which is convenient that Parker was benched so Moore can start at the 3 and Catch at the 4.

With Griner replacing Jones (more or less) and Ogwumike replacing Cash (more or less), the only possible player who might be retiring next would be Catchings. USA basketball has players who are spectacular scorers in every way. They need team players who excel at playing defense. Parker was removed from the starting lineup IMHO for lack of defense and lack of intensity. Once she learns to play every possession like it's the last one and keeps herself planted in the paint where she's most effective on this team, her PT will probably go up.

My point is if no one else retires, i don't see EDD making the team over Nneka or Brit Griner. She's slow of foot and will struggle chasing international 3's around the court who are fleet of foot. Unless she becomes more like Lauren Jackson or Parker or other tall players who have learned to excel in the paint, i don't see where she has a place on the team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Parker's brother Marcus tweeted the following earlier today:

"How long before Geno starts 5 UConn players? Sorry but its getting ridiculous."

Maybe it's ridiculous to be complaining about an individual member of Team USA not starting. It's all about the team and the team goals, no?

Geno explained why Candace is not starting, which makes perfect sense btw. Catching had not been hitting her perimeter shots which meant that teams were collapsing in the paint and making it more difficult for the post players to have room to operate. Inserting Maya in to the starting lineup provides a perimeter threat which has to be honored. Maya has also been a bundle of energy on defense and on the boards. Geno then chose not to start Parker (rather than tri-captain Catchings) which also makes sense. Plus, as Geno acknowledges, it probably pisses Parker off which has motivated her to play better. Geno is okay with that.

On the second straight game starting Maya and Candace coming off the bench:
Well, I’ve always liked having three shooters in the line-up to start the game. And by having Sue (Bird) and Dee (Diana Taurasi) and Maya (Moore), we’ve got three great three-point shooters…so it spreads the defense out and it allows Tamika (Catchings) and Tina (Charles) to start getting more single coverage inside. Having Candace come off the bench, you saw what she did today. When she came in off the bench she changed the game completely, because whoever she’s playing against is tired and whoever the other team brings in isn’t as good as her. So she’s got a huge advantage in that situation. And maybe she’s pissed at me ‘cause I’m not starting her and that’s why she’s playing the way she does, ya know what, I’m okay with that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

"How long before Geno starts 5 UConn players? Sorry but its getting ridiculous."

Maybe it's ridiculous to be complaining about an individual member of Team USA not starting. It's all about the team and the team goals, no?

Geno on Candace not starting:

Well, I’ve always liked having three shooters in the line-up to start the game. And by having Sue (Bird) and Dee (Diana Taurasi) and Maya (Moore), we’ve got three great three-point shooters…so it spreads the defense out and it allows Tamika (Catchings) and Tina (Charles) to start getting more single coverage inside. Having Candace come off the bench, you saw what she did today. When she came in off the bench she changed the game completely, because whoever she’s playing against is tired and whoever the other team brings in isn’t as good as her. So she’s got a huge advantage in that situation. And maybe she’s pissed at me ‘cause I’m not starting her and that’s why she’s playing the way she does, ya know what, I’m okay with that.
I loved that quote of Geno's and I bet CP3 got a big laugh out of it too. Based on Geno's comments over the last month and the little 'digs' thrown her way, I think the two of them are getting along really well - he only does that to players he loves.
I think 99% of the time Geno communicates really well with his players and explains his various strategies. I also think with Big Syl being a little banged up, he was reluctant to play too much of Tina and CP3 at the same time. That may change more now.
For all of these players it has to be exciting being part of the machine, rather than having the responsibility to carry their WNBA teams. I think you see that in players like Angel who just seems to be thriving in her 'role'.
On other comments above - I think AJ has already proved her worth with SF being out for three games and limited in this one. I do wonder if a player like Dupree who was in the pool and played well on the WC team would have been a better choice than Swin, but ... whatever.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

Geno explained why Candace is not starting, which makes perfect sense btw. Catching had not been hitting her perimeter shots which meant that teams were collapsing in the paint and making it more difficult for the post players to have room to operate. Inserting Maya in to the starting lineup provides a perimeter threat which has to be honored. Maya has also been a bundle of energy on defense and on the boards. Geno then chose not to start Parker (rather than tri-captain Catchings) which also makes sense. Plus, as Geno acknowledges, it probably pisses Parker off which has motivated her to play better. Geno is okay with that.

I'd love to see Parker tell her brother to STFU and root for the team. That would really make me a big Candace fan.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I doubt Candace will do so publicly but I imagine she will say the right things if asked. On the men's side, an analogous change occurred when Carmelo became the sixth man with Durant starting. Both changes made a lot of sense, everyone concerned in both cases is playing better in their new roles, and to think Geno would showcase his college program over having the best possible starting lineup is silly. If Fowles were healthy, she'd be starting. If Candace had been producing like she did yesterday from a starting role, she'd be starting. As is, everyone involved should follow Carmelo's example of embracing the bench role, playing lights out, and cheerfully blowing off any questions you get about it from the media.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
That would be a misunderstanding of what the spots for the 11th and 12th player are for. Those spots are for insurance against emergencies, not development. In an emergency whether it is a major injury or just the team playing poorly you want experience

A college professor criticized a piece I wrote, oh so many years ago, remarking that I shouldn't assume that my readers understood the background implications of what I was suggesting.

Scotter, I certainly didn't mean that we should have undeveloped players on the Olympic team that were potentially deserving but were chosen only to give them experience; perish the thought. I'm speaking of present day stars with the likelihood / certainty of being considered the next superstars and are perhaps there already, combined with the vigor of youth.

For this exercise, I am ignoring the whole pool thing.

Nneka O has in her first year in the WNBA, playing with and against the present membership of the current team, has been near the top of the charts in almost every category: scoring, rebounding, free-throw %, steals and blocks. Her line clearly shows a superlative athlete on offense and defense The only stat line in which she is absent (not surprisingly) is assists where my old friend Becky rules the roost. To insinuate that I'm advocating the choice of unworthy youth is silly. She is certainly ready to contribute today.

I'm less able (obviously) to justify EDD, my argument is much weaker here, a mere college kid in a lower-ranked team (with a not very good coach, in my opinion) who has developed into a Pete Maravich type of scorer and whom a number of commentators have stated they would pick over Griner (who was considered) I have little doubt that her prolific scoring will continue on into the next level; time will tell and I refuse to consider the inane thought that she will be matched up defensively against small guards...

Watch out for Stewie!

Finito.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That would be a misunderstanding of what the spots for the 11th and 12th player are for. Those spots are for insurance against emergencies, not development. In an emergency whether it is a major injury or just the team playing poorly you want experience. Asjha is there because she was the best equipped to defend centers if someone like Sylvia went down, while also being the best offensive counterpoint if Tina or Sylvia were struggling against international play offensively. Both of those situations have happened to this point. Swin somewhat similarly has the versatility to play in any situation and in just about any combination of players, while still being able to consistently count on her energy and the fundamental things she does consistently like run the floor in the proper lane hard every possession.

If you want to develop a player they should be good enough to be in the main rotation like Maya, Candace, and Sylvia were as college players. If they're not ready for that or aren't one of the 10 best players then it isn't there time to be on team yet.

I agree, although it seemed as though Griner would have been the 12th player if she chose to play. But I think Griner with her unique combination of size and skill is the exception and her presence might have been insurance for defending Cambage.

Reaction Score
An 11th woman shouldn't be starting over the likes of Candace Parker, Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I agree, although it seemed as though Griner would have been the 12th player if she chose to play. But I think Griner with her unique combination of size and skill is the exception and her presence might have been insurance for defending Cambage.

Though I'm not aware we would have special concerns about Cambage. I mean she hasn't exactly transformed her Tulsa team.

Reaction Score
That would be a misunderstanding of what the spots for the 11th and 12th player are for. Those spots are for insurance against emergencies, not development. In an emergency whether it is a major injury or just the team playing poorly you want experience

A college professor criticized a piece I wrote, oh so many years ago, remarking that I shouldn't assume that my readers understood the background implications of what I was suggesting.

Scotter, I certainly didn't mean that we should have undeveloped players on the Olympic team that were potentially deserving but were chosen only to give them experience; perish the thought. I'm speaking of present day stars with the likelihood / certainty of being considered the next superstars and are perhaps there already, combined with the vigor of youth.

For this exercise, I am ignoring the whole pool thing.

Nneka O has in her first year in the WNBA, playing with and against the present membership of the current team, has been near the top of the charts in almost every category: scoring, rebounding, free-throw %, steals and blocks. Her line clearly shows a superlative athlete on offense and defense The only stat line in which she is absent (not surprisingly) is assists where my old friend Becky rules the roost. To insinuate that I'm advocating the choice of unworthy youth is silly. She is certainly ready to contribute today.

I'm less able (obviously) to justify EDD, my argument is much weaker here, a mere college kid in a lower-ranked team (with a not very good coach, in my opinion) who has developed into a Pete Maravich type of scorer and whom a number of commentators have stated they would pick over Griner (who was considered) I have little doubt that her prolific scoring will continue on into the next level; time will tell and I refuse to consider the inane thought that she will be matched up defensively against small guards...

Watch out for Stewie!

Finito.

"Nneka O has in her first year in the WNBA, playing with and against the present membership of the current team, has been near the top of the charts in almost every category: scoring, rebounding, free-throw %, steals and blocks. "

The problem with this is that the 12th player was added before Nneka played one minute of WNBA ball.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
We can project all we like about Nneka O and Brittany and EDD and Stewie, etc.
Their time will come in two years with the next World games. Possible we may see some changing of the guard then.

However, this team is built for NOW. And they all have experience not only in the NCAAs, the WNBA, but playing overseas with and against many of the other nations players. I trust Carol Callan and USA Basketball on this Olympic team.

So, enjoy your theorizing, their time will come. Me, I'll be DVRing the game on Tuesday morning and watching some transcendent ladies go for the next step to a gold medal.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
An 11th woman shouldn't be starting over the likes of Candace Parker, Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles.

Fowles has been less than 100% and Parker is not strong enough to play center most of the time, so your formula, like most formulas, is not relevant. Jones has played pretty well and most important, she provides provides strength and defensive savvy down low, so these continued critiques are very tiresome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom