USA Basketball 3x3 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

USA Basketball 3x3

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is like the track relay teams, or any other Olympic qualifying teams, in any competitions - the team qualifies the country but the individual athletes are not guaranteed. Given that the US is fairly inexperienced in 3x3 I would think they will keep this team - the most likely alternates will be competing for the 5x5 Olympic team and just don't have much experience in the 3x3 and while skills are similar the play is totally different.

Here are some basic competition stats:
Plum: 21-48 fg, 3-4 ft, 32 pts, 11 rbds
Lou: 12-32, 5-8, 22 pts, 22 rbds
Stef: 27-36, 5-7, 34 pts, 24 rbds
Gray: 26-48, 5-8, 39 pts, 30 rbds

Most balanced team in the competition - Stef's efficiency was impressive, Gray's all around game was very good.

Throughout the competition efficiency at the rim for all the teams was really good. Kept thinking about boneyard complaints about Uconn missed layups! :eek: :cool: No need to complain about that in the tournament on the women's side.

Nice that the women never played a full 10 minute game - always got their 21.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Never again for the men. USA will find 4 NBA players. (But no Knicks)
Not sure the men will be able to pull NBA players for 3x3 - it probably takes too much commitment for the millionaires. None of the men's teams are made up of star 5x5 players that I can see - they are filled with the 'also rans' and a number of them are older as well. The best bet for USA is to grab some of the developmental league guys and try to launch a USA league for 3x3.

Reaction Score
Any link to the 3X3 final versus France? It is nice that the women beat the World's #1 a couple of days ago...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Any link to the 3X3 final versus France? It is nice that the women beat the World's #1 a couple of days ago...
As far as I can see there was no final - since both teams were qualifiers the only teams that played seven games were the two semifinal losers for the third qualifying place. A wee bit weird to not have a winner!

Reaction Score
As far as I can see there was no final - since both teams were qualifiers the only teams that played seven games were the two semifinal losers for the third qualifying place. A wee bit weird to not have a winner!
I think our women could have used the boost in the world rankings by beating France again, as they started the Graz tournament at #12 to France's #1.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think our women could have used the boost in the world rankings by beating France again, as they started the Graz tournament at #12 to France's #1.
France had multiple close calls in the Quarters and Semis

Reaction Score
That would really. suck if they got replaced by someone else.
There were players on the 5x5 team that qualified for the Olympics who will not make the Olympic team.

Reaction Score
In track relays (probably swimming also) it is rare for the "stars" to run in the qualifying sessions as they are involved in so many other events. The championship relay members ar put together just for that race (which often accounts for so many dropped batons!). However it is my understanding that everyone who participated in the Olympics in that event get any medals earned in the finals as it should be. Just like bench players in basketball all get medals, not just the starting 5.

I sure hope they keep this team together for the Olympics even if they were to add additional members who could substitute.

Reaction Score
I don't get the concept! What's next, one on one? Just more filler for TV revenue!
Watch it. Really lively. Requires incredible defense and offense. Playing that kind of defense has got to help Lou’s overall game.

Reaction Score
Difference is, the relay runners/swimmers were all there, at the Olympics already. They made the team. They can substitute as needed. For the 3 x 3, I am not sure they even get to go to Tokyo if someone else were chosen to replace themon the team, unless they are alternates.

Reaction Score

Japan was a really fun team to watch throughout the qualifier. Glad they came back in the 3rd place playoff and secure the spot. They lost to France by 1pts. Mawuli and Yamamoto were a delight to watch.

Reaction Score
I also recommend anyone not " knowing" about the 3X3 concept to
watch some of the FIBA 3X3 Olympic Qualifying Tournament coverage
on youtube. Great Stuff!! Japan!!, Spain, France! and a cast of
hundreds! VERY FAST, VERY PHYSICAL, .... get a preview of this
future Olympic delight: Go Step D., Go KLS, , Go Alyisha G., go Kelsey P.

Reaction Score
When do players return to WNBA teams? I heard June 13 for Lou. Why delay?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Not sure I agree with this. The game is so frenetic, and the transition from offense to defense is critical and so different from a 5x5 competition that it would be deceptive for evaluations of 5x5 players. With only 12 seconds on the shot clock - closer to 10 by the time you get the ball back to the three line, it is almost exclusively a two man or one on one game. The best 5x5 is much more complex.

I do like the focus on defense - you have a hard time hiding a poor defender as there is little chance for help defense.

Not sure their are any Cricket aficionados here - but that game's traditional format is 5 days long. More recently they have introduced a limited overs (50) version that takes less than a day, and then they introduced Twenty/20 which is about 3 hours long. The basic game is played in a similar way but the skills required vary.

Volleyball also has spun off versions with beach volleyball becoming a lucrative professional option that requires specialized skills.

I expect 3x3 will build as a professional game - it will not compete with the NBA but it could well follow the trajectory of beach volleyball - you can hold a full tournament over a weekend in limited space outdoor with lots of fan entertainment between matches.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Most likely Covid protocols.
Yeah - Napheesa had to pass I think five covid tests before her return to MN after the end of her Euro commitment. Not sure how they were spaced out but I think it was about a 10 delay

Reaction Score
In one article I saw before Lou left for the tournament, she mentioned how it was a good thing she would be able to comeback to Seattle quickly, because unlike the usual COVID protocols, she has to only take 2 test, I forgot the reason she mentioned she has to only take two test, I could be wrong, but I think it’s because she is vaccinated.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with this.
I agree with you. I'm not so sure how much 3x3 helps. Not saying ti doesn't at all. But the games imo are very different. On offense and on defense two additional players changes everything.

I don't really like hearing that the college players play it much over the summer.

Reaction Score
First I've ever watched 3x3, and I love it. Picks and rolls, aggressive moves to the basket, individual defense, boxing out, etc. ; all stuff that applies to any kind of basketball. I think that a player like Samuelson, who really needs to become more involved and more aggressive in the 5x5 game, can really help her game by playing 3x3.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree with you. I'm not so sure how much 3x3 helps. Not saying ti doesn't at all. But the games imo are very different. On offense and on defense two additional players changes everything.

I don't really like hearing that the college players play it much over the summer.
It isn't that different from what every kid growing up plays - first two to the playground play 1-1 until a couple more show up and you get to 2x2, and then 3x3, and then if you're in a city it expands to 5x5 with winner staying on the court and loser replaced by the next 5. It all helps, but like skills work-outs with a trainer/coach it only gets you so far. You need a team of five and a coach to really improve your 5x5 play.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
First I've ever watched 3x3, and I love it. Picks and rolls, aggressive moves to the basket, individual defense, boxing out, etc. ; all stuff that applies to any kind of basketball. I think that a player like Samuelson, who really needs to become more involved and more aggressive in the 5x5 game, can really help her game by playing 3x3.
and the speed of the game with the abbreviated shot clock forces Lou to make quicker and more definitive decisions. That can only help.

Reaction Score
It isn't that different from what every kid growing up plays - first two to the playground play 1-1 until a couple more show up and you get to 2x2, and then 3x3, and then if you're in a city it expands to 5x5 with winner staying on the court and loser replaced by the next 5. It all helps, but like skills work-outs with a trainer/coach it only gets you so far. You need a team of five and a coach to really improve your 5x5 play.

Yes it is the same as you say when every kid grows up. But for me - it doesn't matter if 3x3 was the same with me vs the kid that plays 3x3 is now. - For example, as a guard which I was- 3x3 was much easier for me. I can get off my shot much easier. I could drive with less people to impair my drive to the basket and take a shot or make a pass with less interference. And overall it was easier for me to make an offensive pass. More players out of your field of vision can read your pass. You can make soft passes on 3x3 that you can't get away with as much as a 5x5.

As a defender - I was good one-on-one for someone my size- but if I couldn't match up well- it was always easier to limit the offensive player on a 5 on 5.

3x3 imo is more 1x1. It just that makes it much different. It doesn't mean It doesn't make me think that it's all bad. But whatever. Just my personal view.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom